Video game(s) you're playing

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3021  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 17, 2012 11:44 am

SPMaximus wrote:Dear Esther isnt a game

:coffee:


Sure it is.

Bought Dragon Age Ultimate from Steam, so I'm playing that.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell


Infrequently updated photo blog.
User avatar
Wiðercora
 
Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Posts: 7079
Age: 24
Male

Country: The Grim North.
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3022  Postby SPMaximus » Apr 17, 2012 11:52 am

Isnt

:coffee:
:popcorn:
User avatar
SPMaximus
RS Donator
 
Posts: 3779
Age: 24
Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3023  Postby DoctorE » Apr 17, 2012 12:19 pm

I have been playing some old adventure games for the past few days... Daggerfall: The longest journey and Broken sword: The angel of death... I had a good time
Going to dig up Syberia II.. and do some more adventuring
User avatar
DoctorE
 
Posts: 9512
Age: 54
Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3024  Postby Wuffy » Apr 17, 2012 1:58 pm

Broken Sword, only one of those I really liked was the first one. Hilariously I liked the French edition voice acting better then the original one.
Wuffy
 
Posts: 2171

Country: Thailand
Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3025  Postby Tursas » Apr 17, 2012 1:59 pm

paceetrate wrote:Legend of Grimrock is out on Steam, finally. May have to snag that when I get home tonight. Yay, indy dungeon-crawly goodness.


Played a few hours of this. Quite immersive, plays nicely and is very pretty. Could use a bit more background story, but maybe it'll come later.

If you liked Dungeon Master or the Eye of the Beholder series, get this.

http://www.grimrock.net

Image
User avatar
Tursas
 
Posts: 365

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3026  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 17, 2012 11:48 pm

EUIII again. It's nice having a laptop that can actually play games. I've just spend the last 20 years embroiled in the 'Castilian-Aragonese Border War' between me (England) and Scotland on one side, and Castille, Ragusa and Savoy on the other. Scotland, Ragusa and Savoy gave up about 8 years in, so it was just me and Castille and those bastards just wouldn't cede Gotland! I want that poxy island dammit!

They gave it to me in the end, after eleven years worth of failed attempts to occupy mainland Britain and the odd Irish incursion.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell


Infrequently updated photo blog.
User avatar
Wiðercora
 
Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Posts: 7079
Age: 24
Male

Country: The Grim North.
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3027  Postby SPMaximus » Apr 18, 2012 2:20 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrYe_4vHzgE[/youtube]
Amazing player-made Eve-Online video

:popcorn:
:popcorn:
User avatar
SPMaximus
RS Donator
 
Posts: 3779
Age: 24
Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3028  Postby quixotecoyote » Apr 18, 2012 2:26 am

Tursas wrote:
paceetrate wrote:Legend of Grimrock is out on Steam, finally. May have to snag that when I get home tonight. Yay, indy dungeon-crawly goodness.


Played a few hours of this. Quite immersive, plays nicely and is very pretty. Could use a bit more background story, but maybe it'll come later.

If you liked Dungeon Master or the Eye of the Beholder series, get this.

http://www.grimrock.net

Image


It looks pretty, but the games it uses for reference points have been surpassed in game design (imho, of course). What is this bringing to the table?
User avatar
quixotecoyote
 
Posts: 1444
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3029  Postby Xaeryx » Apr 18, 2012 2:41 am

Late to the Sony party, but enjoying God of War, Resistance, Infamous and Uncharted.
User avatar
Xaeryx
 
Posts: 239
Age: 30
Male

Country: United Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3030  Postby wunksta » Apr 18, 2012 6:06 pm

I'm addicted to Clash of Heroes right now. It's like bejeweled lol

[Reveal] Spoiler: Youtube of Clash of Heroes
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFeqFZaX4g8[/youtube]


Plus tons of TF2, and WoW. Looking forward to D3, Wasteland 2, and The Banner Saga though
Let's play some video games together! Steam ID: wunksta, Battletag: wunksta#1892, LoL: wunksta
User avatar
wunksta
 
Posts: 1241
Age: 30
Male

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3031  Postby wunksta » Apr 18, 2012 6:18 pm

Wiðercora wrote:
SPMaximus wrote:Dear Esther isnt a game

:coffee:


Sure it is.

Bought Dragon Age Ultimate from Steam, so I'm playing that.


Image

http://www.raphkoster.com/2012/03/13/x-isnt-a-game/

I'm of the mind that a game doesn't need to have set goals or objectives, but can be something that you control and experience for enjoyment.

That said, I think $10 is a little high for an hour's worth of play time, so I haven't purchased or played it yet.
Let's play some video games together! Steam ID: wunksta, Battletag: wunksta#1892, LoL: wunksta
User avatar
wunksta
 
Posts: 1241
Age: 30
Male

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3032  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 18, 2012 6:58 pm

I've gone back to Minecraft but trying my hand at survival PVP now on a vanilla server. Kinda having a blast trying to stay low while building myself up :)
"Infinite loop?! I don't have time for that!" - Bender Bending Rodríguez
User avatar
CdesignProponentsist
 
Posts: 8707
Age: 47
Male

Country: U.S.A
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3033  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 18, 2012 7:18 pm

wunksta wrote:
Wiðercora wrote:
SPMaximus wrote:Dear Esther isnt a game

:coffee:


Sure it is.

Bought Dragon Age Ultimate from Steam, so I'm playing that.


Image

http://www.raphkoster.com/2012/03/13/x-isnt-a-game/

I'm of the mind that a game doesn't need to have set goals or objectives, but can be something that you control and experience for enjoyment.

That said, I think $10 is a little high for an hour's worth of play time, so I haven't purchased or played it yet.


It's not really for everyone. The prose is rather purple, and at times verges on being completely nonsensical.

Which, for all I know, might be intended.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell


Infrequently updated photo blog.
User avatar
Wiðercora
 
Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Posts: 7079
Age: 24
Male

Country: The Grim North.
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3034  Postby Thommo » Apr 18, 2012 7:23 pm

I have never understood where all this obsession with classifying video games as "art" has come from.

There's an art to taking a piss without splashing your feet, does that somehow make urinating more moving than watching your team win the world cup at football, because someone has judged football merely "a game"?

I feel similarly about the term "game", football and "eye-spy" have just about nothing in common, does the label somehow matter? :ask:
jamest wrote:Taken as a whole, I've talked quite a lot of bollocks.
Thommo
 
Posts: 12382

Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3035  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Thommo wrote:I have never understood where all this obsession with classifying video games as "art" has come from.

There's an art to taking a piss without splashing your feet, does that somehow make urinating more moving than watching your team win the world cup at football, because someone has judged football merely "a game"?

I feel similarly about the term "game", football and "eye-spy" have just about nothing in common, does the label somehow matter? :ask:


You have to draw circles around things and give them a label. That's just how language works. Giving everything with subtle nuanced differences different names just becomes too tedious.

Video games are art in very much the same way a motion picture or a graphic novel is art.

Both football and eye-spy are done for entertainment, have a rule set and at least one or more subjective or objective goals. Pissing in a bowl without sploshing your feet would not really fit this criteria (with the exception of the last).
"Infinite loop?! I don't have time for that!" - Bender Bending Rodríguez
User avatar
CdesignProponentsist
 
Posts: 8707
Age: 47
Male

Country: U.S.A
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3036  Postby Thommo » Apr 18, 2012 8:19 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:You have to draw circles around things and give them a label. That's just how language works. Giving everything with subtle nuanced differences different names just becomes too tedious.


You really don't need to in every case though, and you certainly don't need to gainsay someone calling a not-very-interactive piece of entertainment software a "game", to get across the point that it's not-very-interactive, for example.

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Video games are art in very much the same way a motion picture or a graphic novel is art.


You're entitled to your opinion of course, I certainly don't see any point in arguing it one way or the other as it conveys no information.

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Both football and eye-spy are done for entertainment, have a rule set and at least one or more subjective or objective goals. Pissing in a bowl without sploshing your feet would not really fit this criteria (with the exception of the last).


That conveys some information, yet doesn't contain the labels. The labels and quibbling over the fine points of what falls in what category really adds nothing to the discussion, is what I am saying.

Pretty much anything interactive has rules and limitations though, that's a product of it being interactive and has little to do with its classification as a game or art (think, doing the account books on an excel spreadsheet for example).
jamest wrote:Taken as a whole, I've talked quite a lot of bollocks.
Thommo
 
Posts: 12382

Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3037  Postby wunksta » Apr 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Minecraft, Gary's Mod, Falling Sand, Second Life, and tons of other sand box type games are all fairly loosely structured games without set goals, rules, or objectives really. They have bases for interaction, and physics type programs for people to work within, but they are not like other type of games where you compete or win against something. The are just interactive visual programs that contain art that people play for enjoyment. 'Video games' for short.
Let's play some video games together! Steam ID: wunksta, Battletag: wunksta#1892, LoL: wunksta
User avatar
wunksta
 
Posts: 1241
Age: 30
Male

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3038  Postby SPMaximus » Apr 19, 2012 12:49 am

ive started gambling in Eve using the SOMER Blink service, i enjoy it, but ive lost like 1.5b already :waah:

i might buy a couple plexes to use for gambling so i dont waste more of my precious ISK on it :coffee:
:popcorn:
User avatar
SPMaximus
RS Donator
 
Posts: 3779
Age: 24
Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3039  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 19, 2012 2:05 am

Thommo wrote:Pretty much anything interactive has rules and limitations though, that's a product of it being interactive and has little to do with its classification as a game or art (think, doing the account books on an excel spreadsheet for example).


Well I don't think very many people do account books on an excel spreadsheet for entertainment reasons. I did mention that as one of the criteria.

wunksta wrote:Minecraft, Gary's Mod, Falling Sand, Second Life, and tons of other sand box type games are all fairly loosely structured games without set goals, rules, or objectives really. They have bases for interaction, and physics type programs for people to work within, but they are not like other type of games where you compete or win against something. The are just interactive visual programs that contain art that people play for enjoyment. 'Video games' for short.


Right, as I suggested, the goals can be subjective or objective. I would consider a sandbox game as having subjective goals.
"Infinite loop?! I don't have time for that!" - Bender Bending Rodríguez
User avatar
CdesignProponentsist
 
Posts: 8707
Age: 47
Male

Country: U.S.A
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#3040  Postby Macroinvertebrate » Apr 19, 2012 9:10 am

Played Trials Evolution today for 6 hours. My hands are killing me!
It's so cold in the D.
User avatar
Macroinvertebrate
 
Name: Gawd
Posts: 806
Age: 37
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 3 guests