What's the last Documentary you watched?

Any non-fiction films, or programs.

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

What's the last Documentary you watched?

#1  Postby The_Piper » Nov 05, 2015 12:09 am

The only thing I ask is that Hollywood -type movies based on a true story not be included.

The last one I watched was Yellowstone:Realm of the Coyote.
From National Geographic in 1995. It was about a coyote in particular, and coyotes in general. Omg the pups. :awesome:

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/ ... yote-video
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: What's the last Documentary you watched?

#2  Postby Wimsey » Nov 05, 2015 4:45 am

Must have been the Wildest series on Netflix. Wonderful narration and photography.

Before that: http://www.thehappymovie.com/ Happy, which was pretty cool, and The Age of Stupid http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1300563/, not counting incidental PBS things I might have watched without remarking.
Wimsey

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby The_Piper » Nov 05, 2015 2:21 pm

Wimsey wrote:Must have been the Wildest series on Netflix. Wonderful narration and photography.

Before that: http://www.thehappymovie.com/ Happy, which was pretty cool, and The Age of Stupid http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1300563/, not counting incidental PBS things I might have watched without remarking.

Regarding The Age of Stupid, which sounds interesting, I just finished reading a 1991 article in Audobon magazine about climate change, and in large part, it may as well have been written yesterday. Climatologists already knew a lot about it back then. It even addressed the denying politicians and the relationship to energy companies.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Briton » Nov 05, 2015 2:26 pm

I watched a documentary on the KKK the other day and apparently the organisation began as a prank. Well I never.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby catbasket » Nov 05, 2015 6:42 pm

Some BBC documentaries I've watched recently -

After Life - The Strange Science of Decay
Iceland - Land of Ice and Fire
Metamorphosis - The Science of Change
Particle Fever - The Hunt For the Higgs Boson
Tails You Win - The Science of Chance

There are some interesting looking ones up on BBC iPlayer at the moment, one which especially caught my eye due to your OP The_Piper is Unnatural Histories: 2. Yellowstone which I might watch this evening if I have time.
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Piper » Nov 05, 2015 6:46 pm

The science of decay sounds interesting. I like BBC docs. I'll have to look into proxies so I can see more of them.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Nostalgia » Nov 05, 2015 6:56 pm

I've been watching a lot of Louis Theroux recently. But I haven't watched a proper documentary in a long time. Last one would of probably been an old favourite of mine.

There's one bit that has me blubbering like a baby.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby The_Piper » Nov 05, 2015 7:31 pm

I've watched a number of Theroux programs in the past. I like him. I saw one of Herzog's, Grizzly Man which was good.
The White Diamond is something that would interest me too.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby NamelessFaceless » Nov 05, 2015 10:25 pm

I'm currently in the middle of watching The Central Park Five for the second time. This is probably one of the best documentaries I've seen.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby The_Piper » Nov 05, 2015 11:09 pm

That sounds really good.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Mazille » Nov 05, 2015 11:24 pm

Iron Sky. :coffee:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Nostalgia » Nov 06, 2015 5:38 pm

The_Piper wrote:I've watched a number of Theroux programs in the past. I like him. I saw one of Herzog's, Grizzly Man which was good.

Love Grizzly Man. It got me into Werner Herzog. I highly recommend pretty much all of his documentaries. Haven't seen one I didn't really enjoy. Another great one is Encounters at the Edge of the World. He heads off to a base in Antarctica. Here's a wee clip. A wee sad clip. :(

We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#13  Postby The_Piper » Nov 06, 2015 6:39 pm

MacIver wrote:
The_Piper wrote:I've watched a number of Theroux programs in the past. I like him. I saw one of Herzog's, Grizzly Man which was good.

Love Grizzly Man. It got me into Werner Herzog. I highly recommend pretty much all of his documentaries. Haven't seen one I didn't really enjoy. Another great one is Encounters at the Edge of the World. He heads off to a base in Antarctica. Here's a wee clip. A wee sad clip. :(

Poor little guy.
I'm sure I'd like that one, Antarctica is fascinating.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby NamelessFaceless » Nov 06, 2015 7:58 pm

The_Piper wrote:That sounds really good.

It is. And, as the mother of a young boy, it's probably one of the scariest movies I've ever seen.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby catbasket » Nov 07, 2015 6:18 pm

A short, 30 minute, BBC documentary about the Welsh rugby referee Nigel Owens who ref'd the recent World Cup final -

Nigel Owens: True to Myself
On the eve of the biggest game of his life, refereeing the World Cup Final, Nigel Owens is at the pinnacle of his career. Now he reflects upon the pressures of the modern game with the boon and burden of technology, about the private struggle with his own sexuality, coming out and tackling homophobic abuse, and about his love of the game and his family, community and Welshness.

Very moving. Tears were shed. :waah:
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby kennyc » Nov 08, 2015 3:03 am

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Wimsey » Nov 09, 2015 3:09 am

Geography films are usually informative and spectacular, though it's possible to grow tired of volcanoes.
I loved the Private Life series with David Attenborough. I'm afraid to turn on a nature show anymore, because I just know, about two minutes in, the beautifully modulated voice will start a sentence "Because of deforestation...." or "Oil-pollution has recently..." and the perfectly-focussed camera will pan in on a starving moose or floundering pelican.
I know. And I don't want to see it.
One of the most enjoyable was a Saskatchewan public tv series called One Year and Forty Acres.

The ones I look for now are about innovations in energy production and robotics. There was a good one on the Mars Rover. But I don't recall the titles.

What did you think of Cosmos.2 ?
Wimsey

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby The_Piper » Nov 09, 2015 1:22 pm

I love nature docs.
Cosmos .2 was good. I didn't think it was nearly as good as the first one. There might be some bias there, where I watched the first one before, and learned a lot of the same stuff from that one. But I do think Carl Sagan's speaking style was better for teaching.
How about you?
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Alan B » Nov 10, 2015 12:35 pm

The Hunt. BBC. Narrated by David Attenborough. It's a 7 part series, part 2 has just been screened.

Excellent photography and suspense.

Edit

Part 1 is still available on 'catch-up'.

Did you know that the Jaguar has the strongest bite of all the big cats? It can bite through the skull of a Cayman with a single bite.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby NamelessFaceless » Nov 20, 2015 3:34 pm

I recently watched a documentary called Beautiful Darling about the transsexual film star Candy Darling. It was really sad. I had no idea it was actually illegal for a man to dress in women's clothes as late as the 1970s. That's insane.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Film & TV