What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#19101  Postby Fallible » Jan 18, 2017 11:01 am

Ah yes. "Lovely stuff". Not my words, they're the words of Alan Partridge.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19102  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jan 18, 2017 11:08 am

And at least it had a happy ending. A lot of found footage films are quite bleak at the end.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19103  Postby Fallible » Jan 18, 2017 11:16 am

Yeah. I do think the fairground Hollywood musical style number at the end was slightly misjudged though. Something more of a War of the Worlds type 'oh we've been through some shit, but in the end love both helped us to overcome Martian invaders and to discover the true meaning of family' vibe would have worked far better in my view.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19104  Postby monkeyboy » Jan 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Just saw Hacksaw Ridge. Excellent film apart from a minute or two of cheese towards the end but overall, a remarkable story well told and no punches pulled re the brutality of the war in the Pacific.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#19105  Postby The_Piper » Jan 18, 2017 8:39 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Anyway, if you had to be guided through the humor of Spaceballs, you'll probably need help with Big Lebowski. Though considering you've got a bowling background, there's really no excuses.

Fletch is a different kind of funny. Comebacks, one liners and insults.

Whadaya mean? Spaceballs is full of those. "I'm surrounded by assholes! Keep firing, assholes!"

I didn't need to be guided through the humor of Spaceballs. Does anybody? :snooty:

Well you said you had to watch it with someone else who could quote the film verbatim, sounds like guiding to me :dopey:

I still haven't watched that movie by myself again
Other Mel Brooks movies I've seen:
Blazing Saddles - I've tried to watch two or three times, but can't get too far beyond the painful song at the beginning.

Are you referring to "Theee Camp-town Lay-dee"? Never heard of it...

For fuck's sake, how can anyone not get Blazing Saddles? What's next, Airplane! and Naked Gun??

But he really was surrounded by assholes, it wasn't an insult. I didn't have to watch it with someone who could recite it verbatim, I agreed to watch it qwith someone who quoted it verbatim while it was playing on the screen. He didn't say " this part is funny because of this reason" or anything. I laughed when it was funny.
I don't know what song it was in Blazing Saddles, it's been a while. There were train tracks. Maybe the next scene there were 2 guys in quicksand and the foreman saved the equipment but not the men. Exactly, how could I not get the humor? Of course I get it, it's just not as funny to me as it is to you. That's the nature of movies. Airplane's ok, but I never cared to watch any Naked Gun movie in full. They're better then Saw and stuff, is that good? :tongue:

I don't think Fletch and Spaceballs are a similar kind of humor. You're free to your own opinion. Fletch takes place in reality, and basically everyone else in the movie is serious.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19106  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 18, 2017 10:28 pm

The Blues Brothers.

Great music. It peeves me that their version of the song, Stand by your man, isn't on the soundtrack.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19107  Postby Animavore » Jan 19, 2017 5:08 pm

The Last of Us movie coming along alright.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19108  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 19, 2017 5:50 pm

The_Piper wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Anyway, if you had to be guided through the humor of Spaceballs, you'll probably need help with Big Lebowski. Though considering you've got a bowling background, there's really no excuses.

Whadaya mean? Spaceballs is full of those. "I'm surrounded by assholes! Keep firing, assholes!"

I didn't need to be guided through the humor of Spaceballs. Does anybody? :snooty:

Well you said you had to watch it with someone else who could quote the film verbatim, sounds like guiding to me :dopey:

Blazing Saddles - I've tried to watch two or three times, but can't get too far beyond the painful song at the beginning.

For fuck's sake, how can anyone not get Blazing Saddles? What's next, Airplane! and Naked Gun??

But he really was surrounded by assholes, it wasn't an insult.

It was, the reason it's funny is because the point of the gag is that it works both ways. Darth clearly did think he was an asshole, because when the other guy said he was one, Darth said "I know that! What's his name?" So when he says "Keep firing, assholes!" he's saying their name (which is funny) and is also calling them all assholes (which is also funny).

I didn't have to watch it with someone who could recite it verbatim, I agreed to watch it qwith someone who quoted it verbatim while it was playing on the screen. He didn't say " this part is funny because of this reason" or anything. I laughed when it was funny.
I don't know what song it was in Blazing Saddles, it's been a while. There were train tracks. Maybe the next scene there were 2 guys in quicksand and the foreman saved the equipment but not the men. Exactly, how could I not get the humor?

I'm not sure how you didn't get the humor, but a bunch of white rednecks dancing around like idiots while trying to explain to some black guys what is apparently "a good old nigger work song" is fucking hilarious. Also, how is the guy saving the hand cart, which is apparently worth more than people, not funny in how casually vicious it is?

Of course I get it, it's just not as funny to me as it is to you. That's the nature of movies. Airplane's ok, but I never cared to watch any Naked Gun movie in full. They're better then Saw and stuff, is that good? :tongue:

I don't think Fletch and Spaceballs are a similar kind of humor. You're free to your own opinion. Fletch takes place in reality, and basically everyone else in the movie is serious.

Ok, fair enough. But if you're into the kind of dumb humor in Fletch and the Vacation movies, I'm not sure why the others I've mentioned aren't also your cup of tea. To each their own ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19109  Postby Animavore » Jan 19, 2017 6:52 pm

This could be a good one for horror fans.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19110  Postby The_Piper » Jan 19, 2017 8:31 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
The_Piper wrote:

But he really was surrounded by assholes, it wasn't an insult.

It was, the reason it's funny is because the point of the gag is that it works both ways. Darth clearly did think he was an asshole, because when the other guy said he was one, Darth said "I know that! What's his name?" So when he says "Keep firing, assholes!" he's saying their name (which is funny) and is also calling them all assholes (which is also funny).

I didn't have to watch it with someone who could recite it verbatim, I agreed to watch it qwith someone who quoted it verbatim while it was playing on the screen. He didn't say " this part is funny because of this reason" or anything. I laughed when it was funny.
I don't know what song it was in Blazing Saddles, it's been a while. There were train tracks. Maybe the next scene there were 2 guys in quicksand and the foreman saved the equipment but not the men. Exactly, how could I not get the humor?

I'm not sure how you didn't get the humor, but a bunch of white rednecks dancing around like idiots while trying to explain to some black guys what is apparently "a good old nigger work song" is fucking hilarious. Also, how is the guy saving the hand cart, which is apparently worth more than people, not funny in how casually vicious it is?

Of course I get it, it's just not as funny to me as it is to you. That's the nature of movies. Airplane's ok, but I never cared to watch any Naked Gun movie in full. They're better then Saw and stuff, is that good? :tongue:

Ok, fair enough. But if you're into the kind of dumb humor in Fletch and the Vacation movies, I'm not sure why the others I've mentioned aren't also your cup of tea. To each their own ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well I said Spaceballs is hilarious, and what I've seen of Young Frankenstein is very funny too, and that I'm sure Blazing Saddles has funny scenes if I watched it all. It's too bad that the song wasn't funny to me, nor was the scene with the guys in quicksand. I'd like to have enjoyed them and laughed. Laughing is fun. How is that song not funny? I don't know. How do people find Seinfeld not funny? That's the real question. :snooty: :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19111  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 19, 2017 8:51 pm

For me, it's that Seinfeld didn't take it far enough, and I don't really think Jerry Seinfeld's schtick is that funny. That's why I like Curb Your Enthusiasm, it's a much less sanitized version of Seinfeld without Jerry's lame observational humor.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19112  Postby Animavore » Jan 19, 2017 9:06 pm

Green Room. A nihilistic thriller featuring a stand off between a punk band in the green room of a Neo Nazi establishment and said Nazis, led by Patrick Stewart.

What's not to love?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19113  Postby The_Piper » Jan 19, 2017 9:11 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:For me, it's that Seinfeld didn't take it far enough, and I don't really think Jerry Seinfeld's schtick is that funny. That's why I like Curb Your Enthusiasm, it's a much less sanitized version of Seinfeld without Jerry's lame observational humor.

Jerry's observational humor may be lame to you, but it earned him a half-decent career, and a modest level of success. :tongue:
I haven't watched Curb. Seinfled was at it's most zany after Larry David left and Jerry was in charge. I prefer the earlier seasons, where it was more grounded in reality.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19114  Postby Animavore » Jan 19, 2017 9:15 pm

Curb' stomps TJSS. I never found the latter funny, and the former didn't need the canned laughter.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19115  Postby The_Piper » Jan 19, 2017 9:19 pm

So? The canned laughter is unfortunate, but was a regular feature of sitcoms then, including British ones.
I, and tens of millions of Americans think Seinfeld is funny. I'm pretty sure it stomps Curb in that regard. Popularity doesn't make something any more or less funny, but it's not meaningless either.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19116  Postby Animavore » Jan 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Are you implying I'm British?

:what:

I just wanted to use an awesome pun, which seems wasted. I personally prefer Curb' is all, it's knots laughing stuff.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19117  Postby The_Piper » Jan 19, 2017 9:30 pm

I got your pun, good one. I'm not implying you're British now, but I was. :tongue:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19118  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 19, 2017 10:51 pm

The_Piper wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:For me, it's that Seinfeld didn't take it far enough, and I don't really think Jerry Seinfeld's schtick is that funny. That's why I like Curb Your Enthusiasm, it's a much less sanitized version of Seinfeld without Jerry's lame observational humor.

Jerry's observational humor may be lame to you, but it earned him a half-decent career, and a modest level of success. :tongue:

It earned him a stellar level of success, but since mass appeal has never been a measure of how good something is or not for me, it doesn't really mean anything :dopey:

I haven't watched Curb. Seinfled was at it's most zany after Larry David left and Jerry was in charge. I prefer the earlier seasons, where it was more grounded in reality.

Kramer was always a cartoon character to me. I wonder if you'd find Curb more or less "realistic", because in general it's much more realistic in that it doesn't have the generic sitcom aspect of Seinfeld and the show is mostly improvised, but you might find yourself disbelieving the situations. I dunno, I'd be curious to see what you thought, though my money says it'll be too much cringe for you to handle :mrgreen:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19119  Postby The_Piper » Jan 19, 2017 11:25 pm

I've always planned on watching it eventually, but that time hasn't come yet. I don't have any of the season dvd's, or access to Netflix anymore though, so the time still isn't here, unless I want to watch in low quality. I'd rather see it how it's meant to be seen.
Mass appeal doesn't mean much to me either, or else I'd probably be queing up a zombie or super hero movie right now, while listening to U2 or Kid Rock. :evilgrin:
But 50 million Elvis 90 million Seinfeld fans can't be wrong, is the saying.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19120  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 19, 2017 11:43 pm

Sure they can. I'm not saying they are -- I don't think Seinfeld is a bad show, it's just that Curb does everything that's actually good about Seinfeld better. No laugh track, no generic sitcom format, no cartoon Kramer, no need to tame things down for a mass audience, no need to make the characters appealing in a generic sort of way. Jerry is just so bland, he's basically just your standard nice guy. Of course 90 million people can relate to him, he's canned white bread. When you find yourself relating to Larry David, on the other hand, who's a complete bastard, well that's when interesting things happen :)
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV