What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#19381  Postby Animavore » Mar 15, 2017 2:28 am

The Fly and The Matrix are being re-made/booted/imaged.

Just stahp.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19382  Postby Animavore » Mar 16, 2017 12:32 am

willhud9 wrote:
LucidFlight wrote:Image
[Image via http://cinemania.es/blogs/detalle/20759 ... pike-jonze]

Her. Expected moderately interesting psychological sci-fi with a touch of romance; got moderately interesting romantic story with a smidgen of sci-fi. Execution and exposition of "I'm dating an OS" felt awkward. Nerd-ish Amy Adams made it worthwhile, as did my growing fondness for Joaquin Phoenix. Cinematography was suitably engaging.

3.5 stars.

I rank it about the same for the same reasons. I did love the score as well.

ETA: My best friend and I went to see this in theaters and we had this elderly couple sit next to us. During the phone sex scene near the beginning they were like welp this is not worth seeing and walked clear out of the theater.

I lol'd.

I liked it more than you two. I'd give it 4.5. It made me feel less dead inside, but also more dead inside. And I'm OK with that.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19383  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 16, 2017 12:34 am

:lol:

I watched it the other day. I'll give it a solid 4.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19384  Postby Animavore » Mar 16, 2017 12:44 am

I literally just watched it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19385  Postby Animavore » Mar 16, 2017 1:19 am

So I've been talking to Siri... She said, "I don't understand the question."
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19386  Postby quas » Mar 16, 2017 3:48 am

aliihsanasl wrote:"Passengers" Brilliant space movie, romance, drama, science fiction everything around except flying alien sex toys.

This one is good. Sort of like a precautionary tale against marriage and having kids. Very existential.

5/5
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#19387  Postby Animavore » Mar 16, 2017 10:21 pm

Jesus! There's BvS fans who really believe people hated on the movie because it wasn't funny and it was too complicated for them to understand.

:lol:

I think they're getting mixed up with 'convoluted'. And although the movie did try to touch on some philosophical issues which could've been interesting under a better director - like, say, Villeneuve - Snyder didn't explore them in any coherent way.

And it was funny also. Just not intentionally.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19388  Postby MattHunX » Mar 17, 2017 11:33 am

Watched Assassin's Creed.

Mh. Could've been better, with more of a story and background. The fights were good. The femme assassin was gorgeous. She's a Greek-born French actress. That back-flip from the wagon, off the side of the rocks and back on the wagon was awesome. 8-)

It was an interesting take on the animus. Could'be just gone with the chair-version, but this was equal parts weird, superfluous and cool.

Chase scenes and parkour was well-done, but could've been spiced up with more inventive traversal with combat on the move.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#19389  Postby aban57 » Mar 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Doctor Strange.
Tilda Swinton is amazing. The film itself is not bad, although the final éfight" was kind of weird.
There's a short film on the BR bonuses, where Thor (not my favourite character in the MCU) lives a simple life in Australia, with a random guy as a roommate. Hilarious.
Not exactly this, but close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY9XfmbXOZQ
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#19390  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Mar 17, 2017 7:03 pm

The Matian

shame about all the fridge logic
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#19391  Postby aliihsanasl » Mar 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Silence (2016)

Lion

Both great movies
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#19392  Postby Mazille » Mar 17, 2017 9:36 pm

MattHunX wrote:Watched Assassin's Creed.

Mh. Could've been better, with more of a story and background. The fights were good. The femme assassin was gorgeous. She's a Greek-born French actress. That back-flip from the wagon, off the side of the rocks and back on the wagon was awesome. 8-)

It was an interesting take on the animus. Could'be just gone with the chair-version, but this was equal parts weird, superfluous and cool.

Chase scenes and parkour was well-done, but could've been spiced up with more inventive traversal with combat on the move.

Jesus, what a shit movie. How could anyone who hasn't played a good portion of the games hope to get what is going on? I have and most of what happened made no sense.
What was Jeremy Iron's daughter in that movie for exactly? It's not so much that she constantly flip-flopped between having a conscience, being a stone-cold mad scientist and being a Templar, because that would imply that she actually did something at all. It's just that she constantly kept declaring intentions going different ways.
I didn't give a toss about any of the fuckers mucking about anyway. Everyone looked exactly like everyone else and kept talking the same rubbish. Have you listened to the exchanges between science chick and discount Desmond Miles? Does that pass for conversations in that universe? Nobody did, or said, anything of worth. What the fuck kind of writing is that, when your main character is even blander than fucking Desmond Miles, aka Blandy McGee?
Why in the fact does a secure facility swarming with guards only equip them with sticks, knives and fucking crossbows? Incredibly handy for containing a population adept at close quarters combat, right? Fucksticks. And what the fuck is it with all Templar soldiers in 149-fucking-2 looking like an army of hipsters going through a goth phase during a LARP tournament?
By the way, how did discount Desmond break the Animus exactly? He took a leap of faith, threw something into the water right before landing and the fucking thing broke and science chick mutters "A Leap of Faith!" in stunned reverence, like it explains anything at fucking all. The fuck?

Mainly, though, it's one thing that bothers me most. Remember what you mostly spend your time with in the games? Running around historical places, doing parkours and stabbing dudes. Not even a fifth of the fucking movie takes place in the fucking past. Why on Earth would I want to watch a boring Matrix-alike set in a boring concrete facility when I could be watching people somersaulting off towers and landing blade first on a bunch of armoured dudes?
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#19393  Postby Animavore » Mar 20, 2017 4:50 pm

This film is amazing.

If you like your horror/comedy multilayered and deep.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19394  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 20, 2017 11:25 pm

Watched a few more found footage films yesterday.

Encounters (2014) Nothing really new here, but a lot of nice familiar things put together in one film. A film crew from Denmark ventures into the forests of Sweden to film a movie and have some, well, 'encounters'. One of those films where the acting is nice and quiet and the characters are something other than obnoxious. And there's a really nice early creep scene when the crew are driving through the forest and see a guy just standing in the middle of the road looking at them. And he just keeps staring at them as they drive closer and then finally go around him.

Reel Evil (2012) This one did have a new idea or two, but it wasted its few new things on just a tired effort and a whole lot else that was derivative. A documentary crew (yes, another film crew!) are making a behind-the-scenes feature for a film. The main feature is being filmed in an abandoned hospital, and when the documentary crew realise that the feature itself and those involved are a bunch of cliches and not worth a documentary, they go off exploring the hospital. See, nice framing plot and the existence of this other larger crew nearby creates a feeling that the documentary crew are somewhat safer than usual in this sort of film. (That was what initially made Grave Encounters fun - you knew they only had to wait in the main hall until morning and things would be fine. It makes the ghost hunting fun for the initial part, at least. Until the uh-oh.) Would've been nice to play around with that a bit. But this movie just looks too much like a movie. There's no sense that you're watching an actual documentary crew. And I couldn't count the number of times the main character ran off on her own. Idiot.

Raakavedos (2016) Very low-budget indie effort that's up on Youtube. Only about an hour long, so in the same tradition as The Museum Project. Just not as good. A guy goes exploring a set of buildings that used to shelter children and finds something creepy. Mostly just an exploration film. Lots of shots of empty rooms. Decent effort. And heck, I wish Reel Evil looked more like this film. At least this thing had the realism thing down.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19395  Postby The_Piper » Mar 21, 2017 12:43 am

I started on Street Kings. Keanu Reeves is a cop. Despite the dumb action, it's almost tenable. I'll probably finish it.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19396  Postby UncertainSloth » Mar 21, 2017 6:26 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:Watched a few more found footage films yesterday.

Encounters (2014) Nothing really new here, but a lot of nice familiar things put together in one film. A film crew from Denmark ventures into the forests of Sweden to film a movie and have some, well, 'encounters'. One of those films where the acting is nice and quiet and the characters are something other than obnoxious. And there's a really nice early creep scene when the crew are driving through the forest and see a guy just standing in the middle of the road looking at them. And he just keeps staring at them as they drive closer and then finally go around him.

Reel Evil (2012) This one did have a new idea or two, but it wasted its few new things on just a tired effort and a whole lot else that was derivative. A documentary crew (yes, another film crew!) are making a behind-the-scenes feature for a film. The main feature is being filmed in an abandoned hospital, and when the documentary crew realise that the feature itself and those involved are a bunch of cliches and not worth a documentary, they go off exploring the hospital. See, nice framing plot and the existence of this other larger crew nearby creates a feeling that the documentary crew are somewhat safer than usual in this sort of film. (That was what initially made Grave Encounters fun - you knew they only had to wait in the main hall until morning and things would be fine. It makes the ghost hunting fun for the initial part, at least. Until the uh-oh.) Would've been nice to play around with that a bit. But this movie just looks too much like a movie. There's no sense that you're watching an actual documentary crew. And I couldn't count the number of times the main character ran off on her own. Idiot.

Raakavedos (2016) Very low-budget indie effort that's up on Youtube. Only about an hour long, so in the same tradition as The Museum Project. Just not as good. A guy goes exploring a set of buildings that used to shelter children and finds something creepy. Mostly just an exploration film. Lots of shots of empty rooms. Decent effort. And heck, I wish Reel Evil looked more like this film. At least this thing had the realism thing down.

i quite liked encounters, iirc ...*edit - ir incorrectly...i was thinking of evidence...then extinction...then fraggle rock....i am a twat*

watched this one last night, sonny - worth a dip into though nothing hugely new there...

and this one, which was fairly nonsensically poop...

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19397  Postby Mike_L » Mar 21, 2017 2:09 pm

That second one (The Lazarus Effect) looks like a cross between Pet Sematary and Flatliners (1990).
I see that a remake of the latter (with Kiefer Sutherland from the original, and Ellen Page) is due for release later this year...

Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#19398  Postby Animavore » Mar 21, 2017 4:24 pm

As much as I loved Get Out, one massive loophole has been eating away at me. They were all using Windows phones. No one uses Windows phones. Bill Gates doesn't even use fucking Windows phones.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19399  Postby MattHunX » Mar 22, 2017 8:57 pm

Good, mindless fun. :lol:

Fuck I cannot wait for Borderlands 3 for some reason.

No, I didn't post in the wrong thread. :)
MattHunX

Print view this post

#19400  Postby UncertainSloth » Mar 22, 2017 11:47 pm

Animavore wrote:As much as I loved Get Out, one massive loophole has been eating away at me. They were all using Windows phones. No one uses Windows phones. Bill Gates doesn't even use fucking Windows phones.

ive got a windows phone...... :oops:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV