What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#22401  Postby Spinozasgalt » Sep 22, 2018 6:04 am

Fallible wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:I mean, it's the same as when a film makes me sad or happy or feel anything else. if it's character-based fear, then maybe I'm not feeling fear for your my sake but more so on behalf of someone in the film. If I identify with, or even just come to like the characters, I get scared of the situations they're put in because I sort of feel as if I've placed myself in there. That's what happens with good horror films, anyway. But you also have other aspects of films that work at you. A creepy mood and unpredictability can put you on edge even if you couldn't care less about the people in the film. Jump scares work on you this way.

I remember one of the found footage films I recommended to Fallible and UncertainSloth here one day (Scandinavian, I think) creeped me out near the beginning very simply. It wasn't anything bloody or things jumping out in the dark. It was just a scene where a messy-looking guy stood out on the road surrounded by trees while the focus characters drove around him. And he just stared with his mouth open as they passed close by and drove off. That's all it was. But the mood from the normalcy up until that point, and the lack of an immediate explanation for this sudden detour into weird human behaviour, gave it a sense of something being suddenly very much off. It turned out to be something about aliens and had a bunch of other scares in the dark, but the opening one was the the image that stuck around. Maybe because my brain knew that that was something that could happen for real: some weird guy could stand out on the road staring at me like that and I would be creeped out by it.

For me, the It Follows beginning scenes are very creepy, and in fact the whole film carries that vibe successfully. At the start you have a young woman fleeing in terror from something on a suburban street, but we have no idea what. We just follow her as she tries to escape and eventually runs to ground on a beach to wait for something. I think it's the idea of a relentless malevolence that you can't get a handle on because it just looks like a series of people which does it. You have this awareness that somewhere, maybe miles away, or maybe just around the corner, it's coming and it won't stop. I found myself trying to work out in my mind through the film how long it was likely to take her pursuer to get from point A to point B...

I liked It Follows. It had a lot of retro style in there, too. But its success with me was still down to its creeps.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22402  Postby aliihsanasl » Sep 22, 2018 6:38 pm

Animavore wrote:The cinema I was in was howling with laughter by the end of Hereditary. It was a massive misstep.

Yes ending was weird in a funny way for a horror movie :?
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#22403  Postby Skinny Puppy » Sep 23, 2018 5:56 pm

This is a fun movie if you like shark films. The acting is good all-round and the storyline is very interesting.

Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#22404  Postby Ironclad » Sep 24, 2018 1:26 am

Watched both Paddington movies and was plesently surprise. The second movie ending had the wife on the end of tears
"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks

Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Bahrain (bh)
Print view this post

#22405  Postby willhud9 » Sep 26, 2018 4:21 pm

So this video was worth the watch. I love to discuss films. When I watch a film I tend to watch it from a perspective of viewing it as art and entertainment with its own form of art theory. Does it follow a 3 act structure? Does it take an deviations away from the typical story structure? Is this a buddy film, a hero's journey film, a chosen one film, etc.? Does it do a good job conveying the story?

One of my grievances I always have is with nitpicks. People who try and point out "plot holes" as if they ruin the movie. This video is a pretty good summation of my opinion on that subject.

One of the key points that the creator makes is that too often people watch these movies with an expectation that logic must be followed. That characters, villains, and the structure of the story's life must follow a pattern of logic. But movies are art and art itself does not have to follow laws of order or logic. When a character does something I would not do that does not make the movie bad. When a sequence of events happen which could be avoided had some other "obvious" event happened that does not make the movie bad. In fact, it makes it more realistic. Life isn't always logical and orderly. Oftentimes I find myself dealing with events that could have been avoided had I remembered to do something days, weeks, months ago. Human nature is to err.

Plot contrivances are understandable and when a movie has too many to suspend disbelief that is an issue, but not a plot hole. Anyways, hope you guys enjoy the video the same way I did.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22406  Postby NamelessFaceless » Sep 27, 2018 3:28 pm

I finally watched The Babadook last night. I had literal chill bumps watching it. Of course, it didn't help that I was alone in bed in the dark.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22407  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 27, 2018 5:17 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:I finally watched The Babadook last night. I had literal chill bumps watching it. Of course, it didn't help that I was alone in bed in the dark.

Why did it do that to you? It is a film. I must be missing something?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22408  Postby Fallible » Sep 27, 2018 5:32 pm

Yep.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#22409  Postby Ironclad » Sep 27, 2018 6:13 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:I finally watched The Babadook last night. I had literal chill bumps watching it. Of course, it didn't help that I was alone in bed in the dark.
You weren't alone.. there was a monster under the bed..
:rofl:
"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks

Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Bahrain (bh)
Print view this post

#22410  Postby surreptitious57 » Sep 28, 2018 10:56 am

Fallible wrote:
the It Follows beginning scenes are very creepy

That is a real classy psychological horror film way above the usual guff the Americans make
It works for me because it is not that gratuitous and uses horror quite sparingly and subtly
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#22411  Postby laklak » Sep 28, 2018 2:55 pm

Swimming With Sharks, Kevin Spacey and Frank Whaley, 1994. Spacey is a Hollywood mogul and Whaley is his personal assistant, who he basically tortures throughout the film. Whaley finally snaps and takes Spacey hostage. The ending is about as dark as you can get.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#22412  Postby BlackBart » Sep 28, 2018 3:47 pm

Quite an entertainingly gruesome little horror thriller.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22413  Postby Animavore » Sep 28, 2018 4:40 pm

Can we really call Nazis who have been turned to zombies "Nazi zombies"? I would've thought dead people have no ideology making them ex-Nazis.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#22414  Postby Spinozasgalt » Sep 29, 2018 2:32 am

'Why can't you just be normal?' 'Aaargh!'
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#22415  Postby NamelessFaceless » Oct 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:

'Why can't you just be normal?' 'Aaargh!'

"Do you wanna die!?!!!"
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22416  Postby Animavore » Oct 02, 2018 3:16 pm

I saw two Try Hards the last coupke of days.

The first was Final Score, which is Die Hard in a football stadium. The second was Skyscraper which is Die Hard is a, um.... skyscraper.

Both star ex-wrestlers. Neither were as bad as I thought though neither were good moviee. Both had great opening fight scenes. And both descended into utter silliness after that. The latter because it let CGI get the better of it and the former because it portrayed West Ham in a European Cup semi-final. I mean come on!
That and a really bad script, silly dialogue, and nail-on-blackboard attempts at humour.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#22417  Postby scott1328 » Oct 04, 2018 5:44 pm

I finally watched Shape of Water last night. I hated the movie. It is NOT a good movie. It is cliched, derivative, boring, and frivolous. It has nothing to say, nothing to demonstrate, no insights, no warnings, no lessons. It fails, in my opinion, at accomplishing anything that a "good movie" is supposed to accomplish.

Can someone please explain to me what people find so laudable about this movie? What has it done that hasn't been done many times before, and better. Hell, it couldn't even be the first on-screen Amphibian/Mammal interspecies romantic scene. Kermit and Miss Piggy accomplished that 40 years ago.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22418  Postby Fallible » Oct 04, 2018 5:48 pm

So errrr...you didn't like it? Or..?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#22419  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 04, 2018 5:58 pm

Agree with scott - rubbish film. But no! It's edgy 'cos it shows the female lead wanking in her bathtub!
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#22420  Postby Fallible » Oct 04, 2018 6:20 pm

Good lord, we don't need that sort of thing.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV