What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Lake Mungo (2008): Probably. Hole in the Ground (2019): Maybe.

#23541  Postby arugula2 » Nov 27, 2019 6:10 am

Image Lake Mungo (2008) Image The Hole in the Ground (2019)

On the left, faux-documentary ghost story with some "found footage" aspects. Quietly spooky. Enjoyable cast, somewhat affected performances that are nevertheless good for this format. One jump scare (NO! STOP IT!), mostly sinister creep. (Australian.) On the right, an homage to Babadook maybe. Borderline amateurish construction, with some interesting lighting effects. More good stuff than dull stuff. If you like this kind of story, it's worth looking. (Irish production, I think.)
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
arugula2

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#23542  Postby Fallible » Nov 27, 2019 7:45 am

It has been many a moon since I watched Lake Mungo. You’ve made me want to dig it out again.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23543  Postby arugula2 » Nov 27, 2019 9:06 am

(One of two movies downloaded on Prime to watch offline after the sub expired. The trick is to turn off WiFi before launching the app.) I think Lake Mungo was made at just the right time. Any later & it would’ve been difficult to justify so many low-res camcorders in the world. Then again, it is Australia, so idk. The other movie, the Irish one, had some quaint ideas about camcorders too, though I can think of no reason to assume it’s not set in the present.

:dunno:
arugula

arugula2

Print view this post

#23544  Postby Ironclad » Nov 27, 2019 9:33 pm

Volcano, with Tommy Lee Jones and Don Cheadle. Fuck, what a pile of steaming horse manure that was. Jones is a pretty poor actor, I say. Wooden.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#23545  Postby arugula2 » Nov 27, 2019 9:57 pm

Ironclad wrote:Volcano, with Tommy Lee Jones and Don Cheadle. Fuck, what a pile of steaming horse manure that was. Jones is a pretty poor actor, I say. Wooden.

I don't remember him in that one, bc I barely remember the movie. Wooden, maybe yes. Stoic, some might say. I appreciated what it does for his character in The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)... hah... I see it's been renamed Three Burials... what a crock. And a couple years later I think he more or less reprised the same role in one of my all-time faves, No Country for Old Men (2007), of which I think his character is the heart and soul.

Image Image
arugula

arugula2

Print view this post

#23546  Postby scott1328 » Nov 27, 2019 10:58 pm

Ironclad wrote:Volcano, with Tommy Lee Jones and Don Cheadle. Fuck, what a pile of steaming horse manure that was. Jones is a pretty poor actor, I say. Wooden.

Jones is an excellent actor... when given a good script. Coal Miner’s Daughter, and the The Fugitive come to mind readily. Also Men in Black and No Country for Old Men. He can even elevate bad movies. Volcano is better for having him in it, and so is Batman Forever
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23547  Postby Animavore » Nov 28, 2019 12:09 am

The de-aging CGI in The Irishman was good but it couldn't cover up the stiffness and hunched-ness of the shuffling old men.

Other than that a great film.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Searching (2018): Eh.

#23548  Postby arugula2 » Nov 30, 2019 9:03 pm

Image Searching (2018).

Watchable, but overhyped. Decent performances. Central conceit (every scene plays out on a computer/mobile screen, or is a "video feed") is kinda entertaining in itself. Sound work is effective at first, but succumbs to the overall predictability of the plot by the end. And oh boy does that plot want you to believe some stupid things (the more plausible ones are the more annoying - such as why is a FaceTime call on the computer not also ringing his phone presumably on the night stand, and if it is, why doesn't it wake him up?). And what superlatively smart young person uses Chrome (on a Mac mind you)? And doesn't bother to clear cookies? And doesn't have a pass code on her laptop? Not going to make anyone's list of best mysteries/thrillers, but a lot of people will get enough enjoyment out of it.

(No offense intended to any Chrome users, real or imagined.)

Added: If anyone watched it, look back at the “pivotal“ moment when dude goes to the lake without nary a mention to the cop about where he went... and she actually asks, “Are you at the lake?” And that doesn’t raise eyebrows? :think:
arugula

arugula2

Print view this post

#23549  Postby Animavore » Dec 01, 2019 10:05 am

Ah yes. Searching. The movie I figured out in two seconds. Here's how (spoilers) - The answer is right there the very first time we meet Vick. Did you see it?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#23550  Postby arugula2 » Dec 01, 2019 5:53 pm

First I thought you might be being sarcastic. Then I took it seriously and tracked down the movie - the only thing that had bothered me is the movie-typical thing about 'zooming in' on what the director thinks you ought to be looking at, which in this case is a banner that says more or less a mother will DO SOME SHIT for her brood and then a zoom-in on her and her kid. But now I think again that you're being sarcastic. I have trouble detecting sarcasm, you see. Especially the Irish kind.
arugula

arugula2

Print view this post

#23551  Postby Macdoc » Dec 01, 2019 6:04 pm

Damn - Irishman is a marathon...lucky it's a day I'm not going anywhere.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23552  Postby Animavore » Dec 01, 2019 6:27 pm

arugula2 wrote:First I thought you might be being sarcastic. Then I took it seriously and tracked down the movie - the only thing that had bothered me is the movie-typical thing about 'zooming in' on what the director thinks you ought to be looking at, which in this case is a banner that says more or less a mother will DO SOME SHIT for her brood and then a zoom-in on her and her kid. But now I think again that you're being sarcastic. I have trouble detecting sarcasm, you see. Especially the Irish kind.

No sarcasm. Straight after talking to Vick the first time he closes the Window and you see her son, who just popped in, on the other Window showing his daughter's classmates - which he quickly closes too.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#23553  Postby arugula2 » Dec 01, 2019 7:02 pm

I see the... 'event' on girl's facebook timeline, showing the boy has updated his profile pic, once the dad logs into her laptop - that? Because that seems to be what's right after the call. His building of the list comes after a face-to-face meet with Vick, long after that first call. :dunno:
arugula

arugula2

Print view this post

#23554  Postby sean_w » Dec 01, 2019 9:06 pm

US

I enjoyed it for its literary feel. It's unsettling.
sean_w

Print view this post

#23555  Postby Macdoc » Dec 01, 2019 9:56 pm

Irishman was worth my time ....interesting conclusion on Hoffa Scorsese drew. The deaging was a bit uneven.

Maybe time for a Marvel binge while they are on Disney in in 4k. :popcorn:

Not entirely sure I've seen The Age of Ultron. 4k HDR ...nice tho maybe I'm angsting for a proper HDR screen.

Definitely missed this one....James Spader is effective ...apparently not just the voice but the motion graphics too. :popcorn:

actually have seen it but forgotten the beginning.....pure mayhem. :clap:

Very nice to see in 4k HDR even on my slightly dated screen. Might tackle some more just for the eye candy. :coffee:
Captain America maybe. Brie is cute :naughty2:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#23556  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 02, 2019 1:48 am

I remember feeling kinda meh about Ultron. Wasn't a great villain.

Did recently re-watch the first Cap movie, that was great!
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23557  Postby The_Piper » Dec 02, 2019 2:24 am

The Enforcer was pretty good. Another Dirty Harry sequel. It was even half woke, surprisingly. :lol:
I have a 4 pack of these movies, but it doesn't include The Dead Pool. That sucks. The one with pre-star (iirc) Guns n Roses music and pre-star Jim Carey in a half-serious role, plus the remote control car mini game in GTA 3 came from that movie. I'm sure there are more fun facts than those that I remember.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23558  Postby Macdoc » Dec 02, 2019 6:39 am

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23559  Postby Macdoc » Dec 02, 2019 7:24 am

The Marvel films streaming on Disney come across very well in 4k HDR.

Started watching on the laptop and it was quite decent but then switched to the 49" TCL and definite improvement despite not being as bright overall. I'll wait...I see OLED nearly under 1k but micro-LED is coming on as the better solution. :popcorn:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23560  Postby Animavore » Dec 02, 2019 7:54 am

I watched Enter the Dragon last night. What a pile of bollocks. :lol:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV