What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#24481  Postby aufbahrung » Jan 03, 2021 8:00 pm

Better than A Wonderful Christmas, can recommend for anyone really into cinema after the codes but before the great subversion of the codes
ship struck the rocks yesterday, and the worst is yet to be....
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Risk (2016): Yeh.

#24482  Postby arugula2 » Jan 14, 2021 8:22 am

Image Risk (2016)

Laura Poitras embedded herself with Assange at the Ecuadorean embassy in London. Her style is low-key, well-edited; provocative but never outlandish. You do come away thinking you know the subjects about as well as you might have if you were in the room with her. I'm sure I learned a couple details I hadn't already known about Assange's story of the last ten years, but they fall into a bigger puzzle that's been filled in by other serious sources, so I couldn't tell you what they are anymore. If you're interested in what's going on, you can start there or you can start here - it's all the same.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#24483  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 23, 2021 6:26 pm

Your name engraved herein
A Taiwanese romantic drama, set in the years immediately after the lifting of martial law in Taiwan.
Featuring two late-teen boys in a Catholic boys school falling in love and dealing with family expectations, homophobia and their future careers.

Has a very strong jazz/blues feeling to it, echoed by the music score. Reminded me of Murakami's writing from time to time.

Has a happy ending. Available on Netflix.
7.5/10
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

The Founder (2016): Eh.

#24484  Postby arugula2 » Jan 25, 2021 3:19 am

Image The Founder (2016)

(Netflix) Nothing specific to recommend it, other than if you wanted to know how McDonald's got underway, and something fundamental about American capitalism. The concept would've worked just as well (better, I think) as a documentary with re-enactments. It sometimes feels like one, but it doesn't know it. That the postscript is as interesting as the entire rest of the movie should've been a clue. I watched it for Michael Keaton, but... weird as he is, the movie around him insists on being square and ordinary, and he’s clearly not contesting it.
Last edited by arugula2 on Jan 25, 2021 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015): Yay

#24485  Postby arugula2 » Jan 25, 2021 6:44 am

Image Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Glorious. A couple of sloppy tropes near the end, but otherwise bitchin'. Put this one off too long.
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#24486  Postby aliihsanasl » Feb 03, 2021 1:38 am

Fantastic movie

"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Palmer (2021): Decent

#24487  Postby arugula2 » Feb 03, 2021 2:59 am

Image Palmer (2021)

(Apple TV+). Justin Timberlake plays an ex-con in smalltown Louisiana, who comes to live with his grandmother and ends up intervening in the life of Sam, a kid who has to deal with a junkie mother and being bullied for "acting like a girl". Was prompted to it by a Kermode review and a notification from Apple (along with an extension of the free sub to July :party2:). No script surprises, but a good cast, and Timberlake has a couple strong moments, as does Ryder Allen as Sam.

The closing song gets some buzz online ("Redemption" by Nathaniel Rateliffe), but I was immediately hooked on the opening number by Jimmy "Duck" Holmes... "Catfish Blues", from the same-named album:

arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#24488  Postby Animavore » Feb 06, 2021 5:53 am

"Wow! You basically wrote the book on evolutionary biology."
"Being on the spectrum is the next step in evolution."
"Did you see that?! He grew and exoskeleton under his skin!"

These are just some of the doozies from The Predator. Made by people who looked at how bad AVP2 was and said, "Hold my beer." As nonsensical as the plot about a Predator coming to Earth with a gift to save mankind from climate change so they could continue hunting down the road or something, I don't know. I was looking at my phone for most of the final act.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24489  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 06, 2021 1:03 pm

Space Sweepers
New on Netflix.
A neat space-punk adventure.
7/10
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Mangrove (2020): Nice

#24490  Postby arugula2 » Feb 08, 2021 10:45 am

Image Image Mangrove (2020)

(Prime) IMDb lists Small Axe as a TV series, but the five installments premiered at various film festivals, and the awards industry is only arguing about whether it's a single movie or five. It's obviously five, so whatever... Mangrove is based on the true story of a black restauranteur trying to make it against white supremacist police violence in 1970 West London. Letitia Wright plays a Black Panther activist trying to galvanize the neighborhood. Shaun Parkes as the Mangrove's proprietor, is resistant to radicalization. They have 2 of the meatier roles, but most of the cast is great. Director Steve McQueen, who wrote all five installments, loves his subjects. Oppression is the milieu, but love + solidarity is the message.
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

What's the last film you watched? (2)

#24491  Postby Ironclad » Feb 17, 2021 11:18 pm

We finally got a chance to watch Joker.
This movie was really good, tension and score were well placed. A very thoughtful critique of polarised human experience. I thought the other Joker was meant to make an appearance though, no? Anyway, it certainly deserved the awards.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Fireball (2020): Mixed

#24492  Postby arugula2 » Feb 19, 2021 7:49 am

Image Fireball: Visitors from Darker Worlds (2020)

(Apple TV+) It's a mismatch this time. The idea is to probe the more obscure aspects of meteorites, and talk to interesting people whose lives partly revolve around them. He (and co-director Clive Oppenheimer) found the right people, and those people tell (or live) the right stories. Normally, Herzog's ego is palatable because his monotone camouflages itself against the beautiful thing he's showing you, or the gob-smacking secret he's sharing with you. Ok, fine, so that material is here, and you should try to watch for that reason. But if I'm guessing: this was less a passion project and more a hard deadline. (Incidentally, most of the Apple TV+ documentaries I've sampled feel this way.) The narrative is all elbows, and as a result the footage itself starts to seem patchy (get it? elbow patches). Not in the casual-random way of a good Herzog documentary. This is the sound of a check being cashed. BUT- each of the vignettes is built around something worthwhile.
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#24493  Postby arugula2 » Feb 20, 2021 8:08 pm

In JFK when Kevin Costner's character tells Wayne Knight's character to fiddle with the TV, it sounds like "Newman, turn it up!"

arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#24494  Postby felltoearth » Feb 21, 2021 2:57 pm

arugula2 wrote:In JFK when Kevin Costner's character tells Wayne Knight's character to fiddle with the TV, it sounds like "Newman, turn it up!"

:tinfoil:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Film & TV