What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Dos...

#24621  Postby arugula2 » Feb 01, 2022 7:54 am

Image Looper (2012). Managed to finish it after a few years' pause. Works pretty well, but it takes someone as dull as Gordon-Levitt to make Bruce Willis seem kinda interesting. The "don't overthink time travel" line shows up. Direction > script.

Image Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (2020). It's fine. Feels like a stage play (it's based on one), so not focused on interesting camera work, and set almost entirely inside the recording studio. It's an ensemble showcase, everyone in it is strong, but limited to interpersonal drama with some commentary about the world they find themselves in (exploited black musicians in 1920's Chicago). Viola Davis can chew up any room she's in, but what's fun is watching Chadwick Boseman going over the top for 90 minutes without losing my suspension of disbelief. I think this was his final full performance. Would've been interesting to see him as Yasuke.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
    - Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Don't Look Up (2021): ok

#24622  Postby arugula2 » Feb 07, 2022 12:31 pm

Image Don't Look Up (2021). DiCaprio is almost not annoying in this, but the main parody characters (Meryl Streep, Jonah Hill) are just silly... even Ariana Grande is more interesting, with less screen time, which is a shame. Cate Blanchett & Tyler Perry's characters are also parodies, but, it turns out, self-aware. Oh, and Rylance... oof. And Chalamet was in this? I'd forgotten. I think he was good, probably. Anyway, J-Law carries this, she's flawless, and the best of what's funny & poignant & clever about the movie - including some consistently great scene transitions & a recurring joke - mostly play off of her performance. The premise is self-defeating, hence why the principal villains come across as trifling... makes me wonder who's being egged... but different people will get different things out of it.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#24623  Postby arugula2 » Feb 11, 2022 4:11 am

Eternals (2021). ~30 mins. Garbage.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#24624  Postby Leila Adams » Feb 13, 2022 1:14 pm

What would Baba do

Worth to be seen or seen again.
The movie is mainly about family secrets, how they weight on generations and the strugles to overcome them. It also shares some of life in Kabul (1978).

Other books from Khaled Hosseini
Leila Adams

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#24625  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 13, 2022 4:45 pm

Leila Adams wrote:
Worth to be seen or seen again.

Yes.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#24626  Postby Marcus Hadrianus » Mar 19, 2022 1:30 pm

Coppola's Apocalypse Now. Redux (extended director's cut)
Praecepta Hadrianina vitae iucundae sunt haec: cervesiam frigidam bibere, cannabim sativam nonnumquam fumere, amicos diligere, inimicis digitum medium ostendere, tesseras L-nummarias impendere, feleculas delicatius tractare, mammas sugere.
Marcus Hadrianus

Male

Poland (pl)
Print view this post

#24627  Postby Macdoc » Mar 21, 2022 8:54 am

b movie of the century - for your amusement amazon
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24628  Postby Macdoc » Mar 28, 2022 12:54 am

Brilliant B&W cinematography

what a cast !! Certainly the best movie I've seen this year. Apparently won Best Screenplay. Well deserved.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24629  Postby Marcus Hadrianus » Mar 30, 2022 6:01 pm

Black Hawk Down (2001) Unrated Extended Cut
Without a doubt one of the greatest war dramas of recent 20 years

Attachments
71lFYvqOdGL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
71lFYvqOdGL._AC_SL1024_.jpg (117.81 KiB) Viewed 887 times
Praecepta Hadrianina vitae iucundae sunt haec: cervesiam frigidam bibere, cannabim sativam nonnumquam fumere, amicos diligere, inimicis digitum medium ostendere, tesseras L-nummarias impendere, feleculas delicatius tractare, mammas sugere.
Marcus Hadrianus

Male

Poland (pl)
Print view this post

#24630  Postby Marcus Hadrianus » Mar 31, 2022 5:58 pm

Macdoc wrote:Brilliant B&W cinematography

what a cast !! Certainly the best movie I've seen this year. Apparently won Best Screenplay. Well deserved.

I've seen it. Wilth all respect to Sian Heder and his CODA, Belfast should have received Oscar for best picture.
Marcus Hadrianus

Male

Poland (pl)
Print view this post

#24631  Postby Macdoc » Apr 01, 2022 6:32 am

I agree....I loved CODA but Belfast was a cut above anything done this year IMNSHO. A small perfect movie. I was thrilled when Merchant Ivory Chariots of Fire won back a while ...Belfast is an unexpected gem. Really reminded me of Best Years of Our Lives which ranks high up in my top movies...and that kid !!!!!

Billy Eliot had similiar feel.
This guy has had a good run with the stage version

Good training for Spidey....
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24632  Postby Marcus Hadrianus » Apr 01, 2022 7:47 am

Macdoc wrote:I agree....I loved CODA but Belfast was a cut above anything done this year IMNSHO. A small perfect movie. I was thrilled when Merchant Ivory Chariots of Fire won back a while ...Belfast is an unexpected gem. Really reminded me of Best Years of Our Lives which ranks high up in my top movies...and that kid !!!!!

Watching Belfast reminded me such great movies like Roma, Cold War, Ida, To Kill a Mockingbird.

I really wish there were more such films nowadays :(

I've recently watched Minari (2020)
Imo a good study of '80s America and immigrant perspective of "New Beginning" and persuing "American Dream". :clap:

minari.png
minari.png (736.45 KiB) Viewed 857 times

Marcus Hadrianus

Male

Poland (pl)
Print view this post

#24633  Postby Macdoc » Apr 01, 2022 7:55 am

I really detested Roma for a variety of reasons...not sure what Hollywood was thinking.
Minari looks good.
I was on a Korean crime kick for a while ...Parasite was astonishing on so many levels.

You really must watch Shadow in the Cloud for the other end of the film spectrum. :roll:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24634  Postby Marcus Hadrianus » Apr 01, 2022 9:57 am

Macdoc wrote:I really detested Roma for a variety of reasons...not sure what Hollywood was thinking.
Minari looks good.
I was on a Korean crime kick for a while ...Parasite was astonishing on so many levels.

You really must watch Shadow in the Cloud for the other end of the film spectrum. :roll:

I do remember some of my friends were also very reserved as far as Roma was considered. This movie is an exmple of social drama (Slice of life of middle class Mexican family in early '70s) :dunno:

I've seen Parasite some time ago :) It's rare to come across such well crafted social satire dark comedy :clap:
I'm not sure how you see things but I think Korean cinematography (at least in recent 10-15 years) is really impressive (sadly not enough appreciated in the West).
Marcus Hadrianus

Male

Poland (pl)
Print view this post

#24635  Postby Macdoc » Apr 01, 2022 2:00 pm

They've built their own oeuvre which is pretty recognizable across numerous movie genres. Paying tribute to some western themes and approaches while adding their own flavour.
The extreme violence that can pop up ....back lawn of Parasite comes to mind.
Always one rather comically inept cop in the group even in a serious series.
I enjoy other cultures take ....the liberal attitude of the Danes about teens and matters sexual ....even to the point of Rita regularly fucking the principal on his desk while going over school issues, an she and teen dottor casually deciding which boy gets dottors hymen.
Some of the French and of course the British procedurals are incredibly well done. Would be nice to see Martin Beck books into a series....Sweden in the 60s with immense social changes.
Prime Suspect 1973 was a superb example of portraying an era in detail warts n'all

There was an excellent Korean time police time shift series that split between the two eras ..astonishing changes of course. Well worth the watch.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24636  Postby Macdoc » Apr 12, 2022 11:17 am

Filled in some holes in my knowledge and having actual footage from the Shackleton Expedition interwoven in the narrative and modern visuals was excellent. It wasn't Shackleton that brought the entire crew home ...it was Worsley's remarkable navigation skills. Very enjoyable :cheers:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24637  Postby Macdoc » Apr 18, 2022 11:15 am

Terrific reviews ....not 100% certain I agree with them all but I lived through that period so had lots of resonance ...I'm always a sucker for a true story and rarely am disappointed by Cumberbatch.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24638  Postby Macdoc » Apr 30, 2022 9:45 am

Buying into this for the cast and a buddy's reco
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24639  Postby Marcus Hadrianus » May 01, 2022 4:46 am

I recently saw Uncharted.
I really have mixed feelings about it (either this movie is really bad or I am too old for that kind of cinema :think: )

Marcus Hadrianus

Male

Poland (pl)
Print view this post

#24640  Postby Macdoc » May 01, 2022 6:29 am

thought I was getting a Shakespeare movie ;)

Love true stories
Excellent.

confusing start but hang in.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV