What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched?

#81  Postby MattHunX » May 12, 2010 5:56 pm

Animavore wrote:
MattHunX wrote:
Animavore wrote:Saw Robin Hood today. It was average in every sense of the word.
The dialogue was a bit ridiculous. None of the characters stuck out. The bad guy didn't have a point to any thing he done. The Commodus type King was uninspired. The "merry men" were the same character multiplied by 4. Russell Crowe was Russell Crowe. Maid Marion tried to play the role of the strong warrior woman but to be honest she looks like the type of woman who can't even darn a sock let alone swing a sword. The battles, lacking the dismemberment, decapitations and blood spraying we've grown used to since Braveheart, are pretty tame and lack any bite and one scene was a complete rip-off of the opening of Saving Private Ryan.
That is, to say, I didn't like it.

Hey Animavore,

I just read an article in a paper about it. It's said Crowe wanted to make Hood's character more dark, rather than the merry, prankster, children's book version. And that the fighting was more like Gladiator.

Which is GOOD, cause I like that darker approach, but did it really suck even on those terms? :(

He was in his shite "dark". He wasn't even "brooding" or even slightly "menacing". He was dull and boring. Like the film.
And the fighting was not like Gladiator. Without the blood and dirt it lacked the visceral carnage of of close combat displayed in its contempories.

Avoid.

Damn it! I was expecting arrows going through someone's neck or head. For some reason through the neck is visually more appealing...*shrug* and decapitations...etc.

Thanks for that! :cheers: Now, I don't have to waste my time downloading it, just to be disappointed.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#82  Postby Oliver » May 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Hot Tub Time Machine. Surprisingly, it was quite funny and entertaining - not the 'tits-and-fanny' style humour I expected beforehand.
Oliver

Print view this post

#83  Postby mmmcheezy » May 12, 2010 6:29 pm

Oliver wrote:Hot Tub Time Machine. Surprisingly, it was quite funny and entertaining - not the 'tits-and-fanny' style humour I expected beforehand.

I'll be watching it eventually because I'm a big John Cusack fan. The only one of his I'll skip altogether is 2012.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Alnilam » May 12, 2010 6:31 pm

Why the 2012 hate. I don't see why Avatar was put on this plinth of being a visual masterpiece. It was some big tree's and blue people. In 2012 the frkin world explodes! Nearly. 2012 was just as visually crotch grabbing as Avatar if not more so.

Geology!!!!!

angelo wrote:The words of Enoch Powell will come to haunt Western society.

:insane:
Alnilam
RS Donator

Print view this post

#85  Postby mmmcheezy » May 12, 2010 6:41 pm

Alnilam wrote:Why the 2012 hate. I don't see why Avatar was put on this plinth of being a visual masterpiece. It was some big tree's and blue people. In 2012 the frkin world explodes! Nearly. 2012 was just as visually crotch grabbing as Avatar if not more so.

Geology!!!!!

I'm skipping Avatar, too. In general, the giant box-office movies don't much appeal to me.
Skipping 2012 because of all the religious bullshit attached to it. I won't be able to watch the movie without groaning the entire time.

mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Animavore » May 12, 2010 6:42 pm

Alnilam wrote:Why the 2012 hate. I don't see why Avatar was put on this plinth of being a visual masterpiece. It was some big tree's and blue people. In 2012 the frkin world explodes! Nearly. 2012 was just as visually crotch grabbing as Avatar if not more so.

Geology!!!!!

I'm sure people don't judge a movie on how good or bad it is by the visuals.
:ask:
Although... lot's of people did like Avatar.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#87  Postby mmmcheezy » May 12, 2010 6:43 pm

Animavore wrote:

Geology!!!!!

At least not visuals ALONE.
Although explosions DO tend to make a movie exponentially better.

...I DID watch G.I. Joe, in the theater, after all.

mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#88  Postby MattHunX » May 12, 2010 6:48 pm

mmmcheezy wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Geology!!!!!

LOL...I saw that on the laptop of one my class-mates in college, in their dorm room, she was bored and her bus wasn't scheduled to leave for hours, and the rest of us had a few free hours til the next class. It was a good pop-corn movie.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#89  Postby mmmcheezy » May 12, 2010 6:53 pm

MattHunX wrote:
mmmcheezy wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Geology!!!!!

LOL...I saw that on the laptop of one my class-mates in college, in their dorm room, she was bored and her bus wasn't scheduled to leave for hours, and the rest of us had a few free hours til the next class. It was a good pop-corn movie.

That's how I felt about it. The story was shit, but there was a lot of fir and cool stunts and shit.

mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Nautilidae » May 12, 2010 6:56 pm

Geology!!!!!

:smug:
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#91  Postby LIFE » May 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Can't compare Avatar to 2012, haven't seen the latter but I'd wager Avatar has the better script (character development, dialog etc.), even if unoriginal to the extend that some people suggest it's a Pocahontas remake with aliens *cough*.
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Animavore » May 12, 2010 7:31 pm

LIFE wrote:but I'd wager Avatar has the better script

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for that :thumbup:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#93  Postby LIFE » May 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Animavore wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I'm just guessing. But now I expect 2012 to be at least on par if not better.
If it's not I'm going to question your credibility :lol:
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#94  Postby MattHunX » May 12, 2010 7:43 pm

LIFE wrote:Can't compare Avatar to 2012, haven't seen the latter but I'd wager Avatar has the better script (character development, dialog etc.), even if unoriginal to the extend that some people suggest it's a Pocahontas remake with aliens *cough*.

I haven't seen Avatar yet, but my impression of the script is thus: humans find a potential ally in an alien race on an incredibly beautiful planet. So...Friends? Hell no! They're primitive, let's exploit them for resources! Paints a perfect picture, in my opinion, of the way many humans would think.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#95  Postby Animavore » May 12, 2010 7:47 pm

LIFE wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Well I'm just guessing. But now I expect 2012 to be at least on par if not better.
If it's not I'm going to question your credibility :lol:

I haz good movie credentials coz I haz more taste than Gan Wok innit?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#96  Postby shh » May 12, 2010 7:54 pm

Animavore wrote:

Geology!!!!!

I constantly get told I have to go see a film because the special effects are so awesome. Even though I do not give a fuck and say so.
I like the non-special effects more script, acting ability etc. :grin:
wiki wrote: despite the fact that chocolate is not a fruit[citation needed]
shh

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#97  Postby MattHunX » May 12, 2010 8:02 pm

shh wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Geology!!!!!

I constantly get told I have to go see a film because the special effects are so awesome. Even though I do not give a fuck and say so.
I like the non-special effects more script, acting ability etc. :grin:

I'd like your opinion on Jerome Bixby's The Man From Earth then. A lot of people, especially on iMDb, were criticizing the acting in it. I think it was very good (except maybe for Alexis Thorpe who played Linda, the student).
MattHunX

Print view this post

#98  Postby Animavore » May 12, 2010 8:06 pm

I liked The man From Earth. All I can say to the naysaters is Hiss.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#99  Postby mraltair » May 12, 2010 9:14 pm

Double post
Last edited by mraltair on May 12, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#100  Postby mraltair » May 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Not sure if it's technically a film but based on one.

It's way better than Blue Harvest. It points out some brilliant oddities in the original film. I love the Star Wars/ Family Guy stuff

Edit: I seem to have quoted myself :what:
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV