'Wonder Woman' TV series: costume revealed

DC Comics bringing its hottest female character to TV.

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

'Wonder Woman' TV series: costume revealed

#1  Postby Mike_L » Sep 29, 2014 9:41 pm

Adrianne Palicki as Wonder Woman: First Look
Friday Night Lights’ actress proves that she can fill the tiara and legacy of Lynda Carter

Ever since Adrianne Palicki was announced as the lead in David E. Kelley's revamped "Wonder Woman," the world has wondered itself — just how will Palicki fill the role, or at least the outfit?

That question was answered on Friday, when a new image of Palicki in costume was released.

CONTINUED
Full article (and more links) at:
http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/adrianne-palicki-wonder-woman-first-look-25636/

Interesting... while other recent superhero adaptations have gone for costumes with desaturated, almost grayed-out colors (e.g. Man of Steel, X-Men), this one seems to have been lifted straight from the comic-book pages.
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: 'Wonder Woman' TV series: costume revealed

#2  Postby Varangian » Sep 29, 2014 9:57 pm

The fact that she has full trousers instead of hotpants will undoubtedly send some people into nerdrage.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Mike_L » Sep 29, 2014 10:04 pm

She's supposed to look like this, dammit! :pissed:

:smile:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 29, 2014 10:17 pm

Lucy Lawless would have been a MUCH better choice.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 29, 2014 11:21 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Lucy Lawless would have been a MUCH better choice.

Actually, I argued some time ago, that the reason for the emergence of Xena: Warrior Princess, was because middle aged television executives wanted to return to the fondly remembered days of their teenage years, fapping to Wonder Woman, but didn't want to shell out the large sums in royalties that they would have had to pay to DC Comics. So, to fill the gap, they created Xena, only for the show to become possibly the most watched show by young lesbians on the planet. :mrgreen:

When I first saw Xena appear on British TV back in 1997, that was my first thought - "The producers wanted to make Wonder Woman, but didn't want to shell out the royalty fees". Why else did they have Xena wear a cleavage-boosting battle corset and twee little leather skirt showing lots of leg? Then of course there's Xena's favourite weapon, the Lesbian Death Frisbee. All good fun.

Now that someone's bit the bullet, and shelled out the royalties to DC Comics, we're going to see Wonder Woman revived.

Though of course, as has already been noted, the trousers instead of micro-hotpants will almost certainly lead to much gnashing of teeth amongst the fanbase. Who will want to see lots of nice shapely leg exposed as well as bouncing cleavage.

Frankly, whoever tries filling the costume, is going to have to work very hard indeed to match the iconic status of Lynda Carter. Matching this:

let alone taking it a step further into fapland, is going to take more than squeezing some young hottie into a costume. Though I gather Lynda Carter wasn't that happy about being a pin up, and had some acid comments to deliver on the manner in which she was financially shafted during the series runs.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Mike_L » Sep 30, 2014 7:08 am

:this: Interesting post! :smile:

Calilasseia wrote:...they created Xena, only for the show to become possibly the most watched show by young lesbians on the planet. :mrgreen:

Xena (Lucy Lawless) and Gabrielle (Renee O'Connor) :grin:

Calilasseia wrote:Though I gather Lynda Carter wasn't that happy about being a pin up, and had some acid comments to deliver on the manner in which she was financially shafted during the series runs.

DC Comics (National Allied Publications, at the time) and Warner Bros. also shafted Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster (creators of Superman)! :nono:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Strontium Dog » Sep 30, 2014 10:55 am

Jesus, this is old news isn't it? The pilot was shot in 2011, and never aired (yes it was that bad).
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Made of Stars » Sep 30, 2014 11:16 am

I much prefer the look of Wonder Woman in the forthcoming Batman vs. Superman movie:

Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Made of Stars » Sep 30, 2014 11:17 am

Oh BTB, whoever made Linda Carter wear those blue incontinence pants should have been strangled with them.

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Briton » Sep 30, 2014 11:19 am

Enough of this childish super hero (or heroine) shite FFS.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Sendraks » Sep 30, 2014 11:23 am

Briton wrote:Enough of this childish super hero (or heroine) shite FFS.

Wut? :eh:
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Made of Stars » Sep 30, 2014 11:26 am

Do you prefer grown-up super heroes? To each their own, I suppose...

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Briton » Sep 30, 2014 4:56 pm

Sendraks wrote:

Well you'd think programme/film makers would have a bit more imagination (I was ranting at them). Just personal taste...I think all this super-hero output is crappy.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Animavore » Sep 30, 2014 4:57 pm

:braces self for onslaught of nerd rage:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Matt_B » Sep 30, 2014 5:18 pm

Briton wrote:
Sendraks wrote:

Well you'd think programme/film makers would have a bit more imagination (I was ranting at them). Just personal taste...I think all this super-hero output is crappy.

Yeah, these spandex-wearing crime fighting types are all a bit one-dimensional. What we really need is a series about a super hero who can do things like transform water into wine, heal the sick, raise the dead, feed thousands of people, etc. and all while dressed in rags and sporting a scruffy beard.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Ironclad » Sep 30, 2014 5:29 pm

Briton wrote:
Sendraks wrote:

:mob:
BURN IT! BURN IT WITH LAZER BEAMS FROM EYES!
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Mike_L » Sep 30, 2014 5:50 pm

Briton wrote:
Sendraks wrote:

Heresy! You Philistine, you! Can't you appreciate that superheroes represent our innate human need to believe in something bigger than ourselves...?

Kidding! :grin:

Edit: Damn! Matt_B beat me to it! :smile:

Actually, the superhero is just an overt example of the much overused story-line of "the one", a messiah figure or a lone hero that swings the balance... be it a Bruce Willis or a Steven Segal... or a Superman or an Iron Man.
Sometimes it's a brash hero (e.g. Spider-man) or a flawed anti-hero, but the notion of "the one" that prevails against all odds is basically the same.
It takes a writer like George Lucas to lay it on really thick (Anakin was "the chosen one" who would "fulfill the prophecy and bring balance to the Force"), but the notion of a "chosen one" as plot device can be seen in any number of movies.
John Carter of Mars was a "chosen one".
Leeloo in The Fifth Element was at least good to look at.
There's another "chosen one" in the upcoming Jupiter Ascending, which looks like a mash-up of the two aforementioned movies.

Plenty of costumed superheroes still to come. The following are all in the works...
Marvel's Ant-Man, more X-Men movies, a reboot of The Fantastic Four, a Justice League movie, and so on...

Groan.
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Return to Film & TV