20 Weird Things About America

That Americans Don't Realize are Weird

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 20 Weird Things About America

#81  Postby NineOneFour » Apr 17, 2014 5:12 am

A place that almost exclusively sells Cornish pasties just opened across the street.

OH MY GOD THEY ARE AWESOME.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#82  Postby johnbrandt » Apr 17, 2014 5:57 am

NineOneFour wrote:
I have found that there are distinctions in class-levels, as regards things like Restaurant tipping practices. No tips at all for the cheapest places like "fast food," medium tipping for average-priced places, and some of the upper crust places put the EXPECTED tip on your bill FOR you, and you MUST pay it.

That last part got on my goat.
In take away places no, we didn't see any tipping. In some smaller eateries we saw tip jars on the counter...I actually felt better about leaving some money in those places.
But "proper" restaurants? Yes...some added the tip whether you wanted to or not...which in my mind just shows the system is a scam. If it is supposedly a "reward" for good service, then how does it encourage servers to do better if they know that, whatever they do, they're going to get "rewarded"...?
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#83  Postby NineOneFour » Apr 17, 2014 6:36 am

johnbrandt wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:
I have found that there are distinctions in class-levels, as regards things like Restaurant tipping practices. No tips at all for the cheapest places like "fast food," medium tipping for average-priced places, and some of the upper crust places put the EXPECTED tip on your bill FOR you, and you MUST pay it.

In take away places no, we didn't see any tipping. In some smaller eateries we saw tip jars on the counter...I actually felt better about leaving some money in those places.
But "proper" restaurants? Yes...some added the tip whether you wanted to or not...which in my mind just shows the system is a scam. If it is supposedly a "reward" for good service, then how does it encourage servers to do better if they know that, whatever they do, they're going to get "rewarded"...?

I frankly think the tipping system is hideous and should be wiped off the face of the earth.

Restaurant servers are customer service employees like anyone else, not customers' personal serfs.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Agrippina » Apr 17, 2014 12:25 pm

Wait staff should be paid proper wages. I agree. Tipping is insulting, and their performance should be judged by the people who return and ask for a particular waiter.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Alan B » Apr 17, 2014 1:30 pm

Especially when they 'hover', expecting 'something'...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Goldenmane » Apr 17, 2014 2:48 pm

laklak wrote:Food furriners jes don't unnerstan.

Biscuits and gravy.

Stewed okra and tomatoes

Pickled eggs

Corn dogs

Dang I'm gettin hungry now.

The fuck is that muck?
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#87  Postby The_Piper » Apr 17, 2014 2:52 pm

The only thing I ever tried on that list is the stewed okra. :yuk:
(I'd have tried corn dogs but I'm allergic to them (eggs))
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#88  Postby The_Piper » Apr 17, 2014 2:57 pm

Scarlett wrote:
The_Piper wrote:The proper way to use cutlery -
fork- use it to spear or twirl food.
knife- use it to cut food.
Spoon - use it to scoop up food.
It's pretty straightforward. I remember eating over a friends house a lot where he tried to get me to do it "right"
But, making it more difficult, is doing it wrong. :scratch:

But.. The benefit of keeping your knife in your hand during eating means your knife has a second use, that is to help load/push the food onto the fork. Otherwise you can be chasing non-spearable or twirlable food around your plate :roll:

:lol:

Our supermarket has recently set up an American food section. It pretty much has enormous bags of marshmallows, peanut butter and jam in the one jar :yuk: , and these lovely things :shock:

Lucky Charms. Pretty much a bowl of sweets you're supposed to give your kid for breakfast. :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

I can do that with the fork and knife too. I can do anything I want with them cause I have no rules or traditions with cutlery. Sometimes I use a spoon handle as a butter knife, if I don't feel like getting up again. :tongue:

That picture is blatantly false. Those in the bowl are only the marshmallows in Lucky Charms and goddammit, there are never enough! :whine:
I don't eat them anymore but that shit's fucking gourmet.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#89  Postby LucidFlight » Apr 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Goldenmane wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Biscuits and gravy.

Stewed okra and tomatoes

Pickled eggs

Corn dogs

The fuck is that muck?

I am reminded of those awful food photos from the 60s and 70s.

http://www.badanduglyofretrofood.com/
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Apr 17, 2014 3:14 pm

NineOneFour wrote:A place that almost exclusively sells Cornish pasties just opened across the street.

Are they actually Cornish pasties though? Under European law they could only be sold as Cornish pasties if they were actually made in Cornwall (just as champagne can only come from the Champagne region of France).

I suspect such a law does not apply in the US though.
Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

#91  Postby I'm With Stupid » Apr 17, 2014 3:19 pm

johnbrandt wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:

It's worse than that. It actually makes service worse. One common practice I've heard about is that waiters actually ask to handle more tables so that they don't have to share their tips. So the restaurant has fewer waiters running more tables, the service suffers as a result, but because a tip is expected, the waiter's still make more money out of it.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#92  Postby I'm With Stupid » Apr 17, 2014 3:22 pm

Horwood Beer-Master wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:A place that almost exclusively sells Cornish pasties just opened across the street.

Are they actually Cornish pasties though? Under European law they could only be sold as Cornish pasties if they were actually made in Cornwall (just as champagne can only come from the Champagne region of France).

Haha, as if anyone follows that law. I've had two cornish pasties in the last week and I'm nowhere near Cornwall.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#93  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 17, 2014 3:22 pm

LucidFlight wrote:
Goldenmane wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Biscuits and gravy.

Stewed okra and tomatoes

Pickled eggs

Corn dogs

The fuck is that muck?

I am reminded of those awful food photos from the 60s and 70s.

http://www.badanduglyofretrofood.com/

I LOVE those photos, I used to collect books of them.

Biscuits and gravy is the best. Any time I go anywhere near the south, it's required. Folks up here just look at you funny when you ask for white gravy.

Pickled eggs sounds like a bad idea :ill:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#94  Postby johnbrandt » Apr 17, 2014 4:08 pm

I used to wonder what the hell a "corn dog" was...imagining some sort of hot dog filled with...corn? I don't know. :ask:

Then found out I'd been eating them for decades every year at the local town show because we call them "Dagwood Dogs"... :lol:
I don't think the dough on ours is as thick as the ones on the American version though.
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Agrippina » Apr 17, 2014 4:52 pm

Those "biscuits" remind me of Yorkshire pudding, and gravy. I don't like the look of that gravy though, it's got lumps. Gravy shouldn't be lumpy.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#96  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 17, 2014 4:56 pm

Agrippina wrote:Those "biscuits" remind me of Yorkshire pudding, and gravy. I don't like the look of that gravy though, it's got lumps. Gravy shouldn't be lumpy.

The lumps is sausage.

But since you mentioned it, and while we're on about weird American things:

"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#97  Postby Agrippina » Apr 17, 2014 4:57 pm

If it's lumpy, it's sauce. If it's gravy, it's smooth. Despite what rockers from the past have to say. :grin:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#98  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 17, 2014 4:59 pm

Hm, hadn't thought about that before. Though technically that would mean gravy would never be gravy unless you were just drinking it straight, since putting it on anything would make it lumpy :mrgreen:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#99  Postby Agrippina » Apr 17, 2014 5:00 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Hm, hadn't thought about that before. Though technically that would mean gravy would never be gravy unless you were just drinking it straight, since putting it on anything would make it lumpy :mrgreen:

:rofl:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#100  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 17, 2014 5:31 pm

What exactly do they mean by everything being portion sized?
And what do they mean, no-one uses PIN, it's used all the time over here.
With regards to the bread being sweet, has the author ever been to France?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion