2030: ICE, Oil and driving...all gone....

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

2030: ICE, Oil and driving...all gone....

#1  Postby Macdoc » May 06, 2017 7:09 pm

quite the claim

The Robot Revolution Will Take Your Car, Your Mom's Car, And All The Oil In 13 Years

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... n-13-years
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: 2030: ICE, Oil and driving...all gone....

#2  Postby Macdoc » May 07, 2017 7:43 am

If coal is dead for jobs ..wait til this unrolls

Good series from Wired

We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Rumraket » May 08, 2017 11:52 am

The robot revolution will start on a nice night for a walk, by needing your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle. Nao!
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#4  Postby johnbrandt » May 23, 2017 6:47 am

Hmm...I have a lot of old motoring books ("Too many" according to my wife :lol: ). There are plenty from the seventies looking to the future of motoring, and nearly all seriously say that "all projections show oil will be virtually gone by the late 1990's or possibly a few years after the turn of the 21st century at most"...some even predicting by that time motoring (private motoring) would be for "the wealthy".

Interesting video on "the future of trucking"...
But why go to all that bother when there's perfectly good railway lines around....

And "coal is dead for jobs"...? Really? You have several hundred million people in India that want electricity to drag them up out of poverty, and cheap energy means coal, and they know it. China, Japan, Germany, and other Asian countries are going to coal in a huge way...China alone is building and commissioning something like one new coal fired station every few weeks, and will keep doing so until at least the year 2050. Asian countries are building more and more coal fired plants, Japan is getting back into coal by building increased capacity after being frightened off nuclear, and Germany is sick of years of expensive wind power from other nations, and is increasing coal use dramatically.
If you want on-demand, constant supply, cheap, base load power, there's only one answer if you are too scared to go nuclear...and that's coal. Gas is great as well, but Australia sells most of its gas off cheaply overseas meaning it's expensive for our own people to use.
Sadly for some people, I will be in a job until I retire... :thumbup:
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Rumraket » May 23, 2017 7:15 am

johnbrandt wrote: Sadly for some people, I will be in a job until I retire... :thumbup:

So much of your posting history now makes total sense. You're afraid of climate change because you feel it threatens your job security. And I like how you basically insinuate that some people are out to get you. :roll:
Rumraket

Print view this post

#6  Postby Manticore » May 23, 2017 8:07 am

johnbrandt wrote:.China alone is building and commissioning something like one new coal fired station every few weeks, and will keep doing so until at least the year 2050.

Complete and utter bollox. China is closing down coal mines.

Also (from Wikipedia): "China is a world leader in wind power generation, with the largest installed capacity of any nation and continued rapid growth in new wind facilities."

New York Times JAN. 18, 2017: "China is canceling plans to build more than 100 coal-fired power plants, seeking to rein in runaway, wasteful investment in the sector while moving the country away from one of the dirtiest forms of electricity generation, the government announced in a directive made public this week."
The existence of just one racist is proof that there exists at least one person who could be reasonably classified as sub-human.
Manticore

Tanzania (tz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 23, 2017 8:39 am

There will be enough coal for John to haul unfortunately.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8  Postby zulumoose » May 23, 2017 10:18 am

Manticore wrote:
johnbrandt wrote:.China alone is building and commissioning something like one new coal fired station every few weeks, and will keep doing so until at least the year 2050.

Complete and utter bollox. China is closing down coal mines.

Also (from Wikipedia): "China is a world leader in wind power generation, with the largest installed capacity of any nation and continued rapid growth in new wind facilities."

New York Times JAN. 18, 2017: "China is canceling plans to build more than 100 coal-fired power plants, seeking to rein in runaway, wasteful investment in the sector while moving the country away from one of the dirtiest forms of electricity generation, the government announced in a directive made public this week."

Maybe you're right, but your quotes do not go anywhere in proving it. Neither of them show that the number of coal mines is decreasing, or that they are decreasing because of decreased demand (instead of just being tapped out), nor does the amount of wind power or the cancellation of any number of planned new coal-fired power plants imply that there are not more new plants being built and being planned.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Rumraket » May 23, 2017 10:36 am

All of which is true, but if Johnbrandt can just sit there and assert crap, then anyone can just assert the opposite.
Rumraket

Print view this post

#10  Postby Macdoc » May 23, 2017 1:16 pm

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to General Discussion