A Gardening Question...

Concerning weedkiller

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

A Gardening Question...

#1  Postby Alan B » May 16, 2020 6:42 pm

Reading the instructions on how to use some weedkillers I have, I'm a bit confused.

Verdone:
For a watering can (with a fine spray) use 15ml per 5 litres of water.
For a sprayer use 15ml per 1 litre of water. That is, 75ml per 5 litres.

SBK:
For a watering can (with a fine spray) use 30ml per 6 litres of water.
For a sprayer use 30ml per 1.5 litres of water. That is, 120ml per 6 litres.

Why the marked difference in weedkiller concentration between a watering can and a sprayer - 4 to 5 times more for a sprayer?
I'm tempted to use the same concentraion in my sprayer as a watering can. What can go wrong? (Assuming that I make certain that the same area of ground is covered in the same time).
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: A Gardening Question...

#2  Postby Blackadder » May 16, 2020 6:47 pm

Presumably because you are going to drop a whole lot more liquid into a square metre from a waterng can than you are from a sprayer. Therefore the higher dilution for watering can, to avoid overdosing.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Alan B » May 16, 2020 6:56 pm

Hmmm, yes. I was thinking along those lines, but I'm not quite convinced. If I were to use a watering can I would operate it as a sprayer - not to 'soak' the area... :think:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby surreptitious57 » May 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Watering can has multiple nozzles whereas sprayer just has one therefore a higher dilution is required for watering can
Were you to use the same dilution for both the watering can would be more potent simply because it has more nozzles
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan B » May 16, 2020 7:13 pm

I don't follow that since the same amout of water (5 litres) in either sprayer or watering can, can be used over the same area. A sprayer has one nozzle but is under pressure...

If I use the sprayer to soak an area with the same amount of water as a watering can, then I can use the lower concentration (I think).
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » May 17, 2020 1:47 am

I have only rarely applied weed killer other than with a sprayer, and then used a sponge to dab at problem weeds in the lawn (while wearing gloves). My advice is try the weaker solution first, as most modern herbicides are quite effective. Lower dosing usually results in slower reaction, but most weeds die in due time.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby kiore » May 17, 2020 2:59 am

A a keen gardener I prefer not to use non mechanical weedkillers, but if that not an option the spot application method better rather than the diluted broadcast. A higher concentration on a small area is needed as you may miss some bits so the thing you do hit needs to really be zapped and absorb into the plant. Spraying a bigger zone it doesn't matter so much as you will hit all parts of the plant.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Alan B » May 17, 2020 1:04 pm

Agreed. But that still doesn't explain why the manufacturers of this stuff require four times the strength in a sprayer than in a watering can. :scratch:

Edit.
For both SBK and Verdone the specified area to cover for both watering can and sprayer is 10 sq.metres. So that means that with a watering can one can get away with a quarter of the strength than with a sprayer.
There must be an asumption made here by the suppliers about usage, but it is not clear from the instructions.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Alan B » May 20, 2020 8:21 am

Ignore this thread. I have sorted it. I was being thick.

With a sprayer you use less water for the same area than with a watering can. :doh: :oops:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to General Discussion