Added Sugar

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Added Sugar

#21  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 13, 2020 6:36 pm

Gotta love the weasel words they were obliged to put in lest they get their arses spanked by watchdogs.

we help share the science and facts about how 100% juice can support good health.

If it can support good health, then that good health is already present prior to the addition of juice.

We want to share unbiased information on the benefits of 100% fruit juice drunk in moderation, as part of a healthy lifestyle.

Pizza can be eaten in moderation as part of a healthy lifestyle. Cake can be eaten in moderation as part of a healthy lifestyle. Beer can be drunk in moderation as part of a healthy lifestyle. Nearly anything can be consumed in moderation as part of a healthy lifestyle because it all comes down to that key term: moderation - what 'moderate' represents depends on the food item.

We don’t favour or promote specific brands or products; our role is simply to provide truthful, scientific evidence that shows how 100% fruit juice, along with its vitamins and minerals, can contribute to health and well-being.

Can contribute? Can? Not 'does'?

So in a scenario where a person never drinks water, only drinks beer and soda, if they exchange 1 glass of those a day for 100% juice then that juice is contributing to their health and well-being, albeit if only by omission of a drink worse for health and well-being.

Fucking weasels.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 13, 2020 6:37 pm

Yeah that's what I've heard. That consuming fruit juice is basically like injecting sugar, while eating fruit is more of a slow release.

Also I was a bit suspicious about this "non-commercial" Fruit Juice Matters not mentioning who funds them, so I did a quick search and...

co-funded by the European Fruit Juice Association, Citrus BR and three packaging companies.

Which doesn't mean that what they're saying is wrong, but they're hardly impartial, so I'd take their findings with a pinch of salt. Or should that be a teaspoon of sugar?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 13, 2020 6:39 pm

That consuming fruit juice is basically like injecting sugar...

Except a) less needles and b) injecting it doesn't let you taste the sweet! :)
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby The_Piper » Jan 13, 2020 6:44 pm

Not that I'm capable of giving great nutrition advice, it makes logical sense to me. That fiber in the actual fruit slows the digestion process, allowing absorption over time. Fruit Juice Matters should have put the following sentence first, rather than last " It is worth noting that European law does not permit the natural sugar content of 100% juices to be artificially increased or reduced."
A lot of fruit juice brands and flavors have added sugar, and that's not too healthy, I'd guess. I have chocolates and ice cream, I don't need fruit juice. It makes my sensitive stomach burn, but I can drink coffee all day. :crazy:
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 13, 2020 8:17 pm

The_Piper wrote:
A lot of fruit juice brands and flavors have added sugar, ...

That is fucking crazy - even here in Thailand where the most ridiculous products are artificially sweetened, fruit juice is not.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 14, 2020 4:48 am

Spearthrower wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
A lot of fruit juice brands and flavors have added sugar, ...

That is fucking crazy - even here in Thailand where the most ridiculous products are artificially sweetened, fruit juice is not.

What if you actually get one freshly made? Everywhere in Vietnam will add sugar to fruit juice unless you specifically ask them not to. In Malaysia, they sometimes add syrup instead, but that's basically the same thing. The other thing that irritated me in Vietnam was sweetened milk. Again, you literally had to go out of your way to find one without sugar. Malaysia has just introduced a sugar tax.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 14, 2020 5:07 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
What if you actually get one freshly made? Everywhere in Vietnam will add sugar to fruit juice unless you specifically ask them not to.

Typically no. Amusingly, you get a packet of pink sugar with a purchase of fruit from a street seller, but most street juice drinks are unsweetened - they're more likely to add salt than sugar.

I'm With Stupid wrote:In Malaysia, they sometimes add syrup instead, but that's basically the same thing. The other thing that irritated me in Vietnam was sweetened milk. Again, you literally had to go out of your way to find one without sugar. Malaysia has just introduced a sugar tax.

Yup, most of this is the same here - it's not a big surprise that Thailand's got one of the biggest problems with obesity in the region, but unlike Malaysia, Thailand never does anything about it.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Alan B » Jan 22, 2020 12:07 pm

I sent a Freedom of Information request to Public Health England:
"The Food and Drug Administration (USA) have made it mandatory this month (January 2020) to declare 'Added Sugar' on food Nutrition Labels.
Are there any plans to declare 'Added Sugar' on the Back of Pack nutrition labels in the UK?
If food is imported from the USA will it still have the 'Added Sugar' declaration or will it be removed?"
Their reply:
"We acknowledge receipt of your email about whether there any plans to declare 'Added Sugar' on the Back of Pack nutrition labels in the UK received on the 18 January.
Public Health England(PHE) is an executive agency of the Department of Health and Social Care, and a distinct organisation with operational autonomy. We provide government, local government, the NHS, Parliament, industry and the public with evidence-based professional, scientific expertise and support.
PHE do not hold this information, you may wish to contact foi@dhsc.gov.uk."

So much for "evidence-based professional, scientific expertise and support."
I've contacted helpline@food.gov.uk requesting which department will handle my query. I'm awaiting their reply.

I have phoned them but they seem purposely 'confused' by my questions.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Alan B » Jan 22, 2020 12:09 pm

I sent a Freedom of Information request to Public Health England:
"The Food and Drug Administration (USA) have made it mandatory this month (January 2020) to declare 'Added Sugar' on food Nutrition Labels.
Are there any plans to declare 'Added Sugar' on the Back of Pack nutrition labels in the UK?
If food is imported from the USA will it still have the 'Added Sugar' declaration or will it be removed?"
Their reply:
"We acknowledge receipt of your email about whether there any plans to declare 'Added Sugar' on the Back of Pack nutrition labels in the UK received on the 18 January.
Public Health England(PHE) is an executive agency of the Department of Health and Social Care, and a distinct organisation with operational autonomy. We provide government, local government, the NHS, Parliament, industry and the public with evidence-based professional, scientific expertise and support.
PHE do not hold this information, you may wish to contact foi@dhsc.gov.uk."

So much for "evidence-based professional, scientific expertise and support."
I've contacted helpline@food.gov.uk requesting which department will handle my query. I'm awaiting their reply.

I have phoned them but they seem purposely 'confused' by my questions.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Alan B » Jan 28, 2020 1:50 pm

Well, I've sent FoIs to Public Health England and food.gov.uk and all seem to be passing the buck.
I have now sent an FoI to dhsc.gov.uk (Department of Health and Social Security) :scratch: Although why they have been lumbered with looking after food nutrition labels, I'm not sure.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Svartalf » Jan 28, 2020 2:04 pm

scott1328 wrote:
Alan B wrote:Just watched 'The Daily Show' where a sketch on Nutrition showed the new nutrition label which came into force this month in America. It lists under carbohydrates: Fibre, Total Sugars and Added Sugar.
Florida Reporter
The Food and Drug Administration is rolling out new Nutrition Facts food labels to reflect updated scientific research and how people actually eat. One of the most significant changes is that the labels require the inclusion of added sugars.

So, I got in touch with Public Health England (PHE) to enquire if the UK are going to follow suit and modify the Back of Pack label. I await their reply...

Apparently, there have been suggestions from various quarters since 2016 that the labelling should define total sugars and added sugars. So far, nothing. We in the UK (and EU) still don't know how much sugar has been added to our food.

why does it matter? Isn't total carbohydrates the important number?

Yes and now... some carbs are more or less noxious for the metabolism, and those you add often come from the less wholesome part of the spectrum.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Alan B » Jan 31, 2020 2:56 pm

I'm being giving the fucking runaround.
PHE say try DHSC which then says try Food Standards which in turn said try DHSC. Upon pressing further Food Standards say they have transferred my request to the DEFRA Labelling Team. Phoning DEFRA, they suggested I try Food Standards... :argh: :deadhorse:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 31, 2020 2:59 pm

Alan B wrote:I'm being giving the fucking runaround.
PHE say try DHSC which then says try Food Standards which in turn said try DHSC. Upon pressing further Food Standards say they have transferred my request to the DEFRA Labelling Team. Phoning DEFRA, they suggested I try Food Standards... :argh: :deadhorse:

The only thing you can do with stuff like this is write and include previous written records from prior communiques - it's puts the onus back on them to do more than pass you around.

Failing that, take all of it to a newspaper.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#34  Postby Alan B » Jan 31, 2020 3:08 pm

Yeah. I've highlighted this to the Consumers Association (Which?). I might try the Gruaniad. :think:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 31, 2020 3:31 pm

Alan B wrote:Yeah. I've highlighted this to the Consumers Association (Which?). I might try the Gruaniad. :think:

That's a big one - you'd need all your ducks in a row and even then it'd be competing for space among international stories. It's actually worth considering local, because if the story gets run by a local reporter and it turns out to have the chops, it can then sometimes be picked up by bigger ones. The local reporter can also do all those reaching out to various people to get official commentary.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Alan B » Jan 31, 2020 4:22 pm

Hadn't thought of that. I'll give it some thought. :cheers:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 31, 2020 6:28 pm

Another one is to take it to your MP - why not? That's what they're bloody well supposed to be there for! ;)

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#38  Postby Alan B » Feb 01, 2020 11:43 am

We now have a new Tory MP here. I might give them a go. See if they measure up.

I have an idée fixe about 'big sugar' poking their nose in and controlling things. Perhaps not without reason seeing how the Tories are kept afloat with corporation's, er, 'contributions'. The 'runaround' I'm being given only serves to strengthen that idea.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 01, 2020 6:26 pm

Never attribute to conspiracy what can be adequately explained by unaccountable bureaucracy. :naughty2:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Discussion