Added Sugar

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Added Sugar

#1  Postby Alan B » Jan 10, 2020 12:36 pm

Just watched 'The Daily Show' where a sketch on Nutrition showed the new nutrition label which came into force this month in America. It lists under carbohydrates: Fibre, Total Sugars and Added Sugar.
Florida Reporter
The Food and Drug Administration is rolling out new Nutrition Facts food labels to reflect updated scientific research and how people actually eat. One of the most significant changes is that the labels require the inclusion of added sugars.

So, I got in touch with Public Health England (PHE) to enquire if the UK are going to follow suit and modify the Back of Pack label. I await their reply...

Apparently, there have been suggestions from various quarters since 2016 that the labelling should define total sugars and added sugars. So far, nothing. We in the UK (and EU) still don't know how much sugar has been added to our food.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Added Sugar

#2  Postby scott1328 » Jan 10, 2020 12:54 pm

Alan B wrote:Just watched 'The Daily Show' where a sketch on Nutrition showed the new nutrition label which came into force this month in America. It lists under carbohydrates: Fibre, Total Sugars and Added Sugar.
Florida Reporter
The Food and Drug Administration is rolling out new Nutrition Facts food labels to reflect updated scientific research and how people actually eat. One of the most significant changes is that the labels require the inclusion of added sugars.

So, I got in touch with Public Health England (PHE) to enquire if the UK are going to follow suit and modify the Back of Pack label. I await their reply...

Apparently, there have been suggestions from various quarters since 2016 that the labelling should define total sugars and added sugars. So far, nothing. We in the UK (and EU) still don't know how much sugar has been added to our food.

why does it matter? Isn't total carbohydrates the important number?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Alan B » Jan 10, 2020 1:44 pm

"Carbohydrates" as listed, in the nutrition label includes all human metabolised carbohydrates.
"Sugars", as listed in the nutrition label, are only monosaccharides and disaccharides which, it is being shown, may have addictive properties which exacerbates the overweight problem. To add them to a food as a 'selling gimmick' should be banned. Intrinsic sugars as part of the food structure (e.g. fruit) are OK.

I would not buy a 'savoury' food which has added sugar, but in the UK there is no way of telling.

But, er, chocolate. That's a different matter...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby scott1328 » Jan 10, 2020 1:47 pm

Alan B wrote:"Carbohydrates" as listed, in the nutrition label includes all human metabolised carbohydrates.
"Sugars", as listed in the nutrition label, are only monosaccharides and disaccharides which, it is being shown, may have addictive properties which exacerbates the overweight problem. To add them to a food as a 'selling gimmick' should be banned. Intrinsic sugar as part of the food structure (e.g. fruit) are OK.

I would not buy a 'savoury' food which has added sugar, but in the UK there is no way of telling.

But, er, chocolate. That's a different matter...

Is there something intrinsically different about the monosaccharides and disaccharides naturally present in food and those that are added during manufacture?
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan B » Jan 10, 2020 2:24 pm

Probably not. So why add them?

Edit
Why do you think the FDA has made it mandatory to declare 'Added Sugar'?
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Sgt Kelly » Jan 10, 2020 2:32 pm

Mono and disaccharides are simple chemical compounds with well known chemical and physical properties. They are not addictive in the same sense that, for example, hard drugs are (they don't have a psychotropic effect). They do play an important role in generating the feeling of being sated, which nutritionists confuse with 'being addictive'.
Sgt Kelly

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#7  Postby scott1328 » Jan 10, 2020 2:45 pm

Alan B wrote:Probably not. So why add them?

Edit
Why do you think the FDA has made it mandatory to declare 'Added Sugar'?

I suspect the reasons are socio-political rather than based on the science of nutrition. In saying that, I am not saying that the socio-political reasons are not well-founded, indeed, those reasons might be sufficient to justify the mandate. However, the mandate may not be justifiable based on the science of nutrition alone.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby The_Piper » Jan 10, 2020 2:55 pm

I thought refined/white sugar is worse because our body metabolizes it so fast. It's worse for the teeth too.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Jan 10, 2020 3:28 pm

Because they add fucking sugar to damn near everything in the States, just look at the ingredients. Why do you need sugar in canned veggies? It's actually hard to find canned tomatoes or beans (about the only canned veg I buy) without sugar as the 2nd ingredient. I bought some Italian sausage and it had sugar in it, I mean WTF? Why would you ever put sugar in Italian sausage?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby scott1328 » Jan 10, 2020 3:29 pm

The_Piper wrote:I thought refined/white sugar is worse because our body metabolizes it so fast. It's worse for the teeth too.

This article said there is a nutritional difference between the sugars that occur naturally in foods and the sugar that is added. It has to do with the effect on the body when both fructose and glucose are digested together.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/su ... e-fructose
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby scott1328 » Jan 10, 2020 3:31 pm

laklak wrote:Because they add fucking sugar to damn near everything in the States, just look at the ingredients. Why do you need sugar in canned veggies? It's actually hard to find canned tomatoes or beans (about the only canned veg I buy) without sugar as the 2nd ingredient. I bought some Italian sausage and it had sugar in it, I mean WTF? Why would you ever put sugar in Italian sausage?

to make it taste better without having to improve your manufacturing process or the quality of your ingredients.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 10, 2020 3:57 pm

laklak wrote:I bought some Italian sausage and it had sugar in it, I mean WTF? Why would you ever put sugar in Italian sausage?

To make Salsiccia Dolce, of course! :thumbup:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Alan B » Jan 10, 2020 4:57 pm

I googled "Is sugar addictive?". Got loads of replies and most if not all were anecdotal. Couldn't see any peer-reviewed scientific studies. Perhaps eventually there will be some science that will define a 'craving' (for sugar) as a form of addiction. :dunno:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby laklak » Jan 10, 2020 9:05 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
laklak wrote:I bought some Italian sausage and it had sugar in it, I mean WTF? Why would you ever put sugar in Italian sausage?

I always thought "Sweet Italian Sausage" just meant it wasn't spicy. You learn something new every day.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 10, 2020 9:19 pm

laklak wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

I always thought "Sweet Italian Sausage" just meant it wasn't spicy. You learn something new every day.

Me too because I was only joking, but then it turns out that dextrose is a common ingredient in sweet Italian sausage. :grin:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 12, 2020 4:31 pm

Alan B wrote:I googled "Is sugar addictive?". Got loads of replies and most if not all were anecdotal. Couldn't see any peer-reviewed scientific studies. Perhaps eventually there will be some science that will define a 'craving' (for sugar) as a form of addiction. :dunno:

To be fair, it doesn't have to be addictive. If they add it to everything, then even just eating normally can result in massively more sugar than is healthy. And this can often happen without people really knowing. When people eat a cake, they know it's laced with sugar, but people might be less likely to realise how much sugar is in other foods. Hell, how many people drink fruit juice thinking it's really good for them? Meanwhile professional footballers with their teams of nutritionists are banned from drinking them.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 12, 2020 4:51 pm

Hell, how many people drink fruit juice thinking it's really good for them?

Well, it is up to a point. I think that point tends to be considered about 150ml a day.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby Pebble » Jan 12, 2020 7:47 pm

Far as I can tell sugar is sugar whether natural or not - differences are modest - though there are concerns about fructose in particular

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30529886
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Pebble » Jan 12, 2020 7:51 pm

Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Alan B » Jan 13, 2020 6:14 pm

Fruit Juice Matters
Fruit Juice Matters is a non-branded and non-commercial initiative, informing health care professionals about surprising health benefits of 100% fruit juices by sharing the latest scientific insights.
Then...
In recent years, much of the true science behind 100% fruit juice and its health benefits has been misread or excluded from the debate on health, leading to confusion from health care professionals and juice drinkers alike. Through Fruit Juice Matters, the AIJN (European Fruit Juice Association) is addressing this confusion by offering clear, evidence-based scientific information on juice.
AIJN is supporting growers, packers and the rest of the fruit juice industry and together we help share the science and facts about how 100% juice can support good health. Fruit Juice Matters is a pan-European, science-based programme across 14 countries designed to share credible and balanced research about fruit juice. We want to share unbiased information on the benefits of 100% fruit juice drunk in moderation, as part of a healthy lifestyle.
We don’t favour or promote specific brands or products; our role is simply to provide truthful, scientific evidence that shows how 100% fruit juice, along with its vitamins and minerals, can contribute to health and well-being.
And...
https://fruitjuicematters.uk/en/consumption-and-behaviour/100-fruit-juices-and-sugar
Conclusion:
The sugar content in 100% fruit juices is similar to the fruits from which they are derived. Based on available studies, children and adolescents who report a higher level of added sugar consumption tend to consume the least fruit juice. At the moderate intakes suggested in dietary guidelines, 100% fruit juices are not a significant contributor to high sugar intakes. It is worth noting that European law does not permit the natural sugar content of 100% juices to be artificially increased or reduced
However...
BBC...
Lack of fibre is the key problem. Juicing releases the sugars in fruit and removes the insoluble fibre; blending also releases the sugars and tears apart the insoluble fibre. Most of the sugar in fruit is fructose, which can only be processed by the liver. A small amount of fructose, in an apple for example, does us no harm because we consume it along with the fibre. Fibre protects us against the effects of fructose by slowing its absorption, and also makes us feel full. Fruit juice, on the other hand, is absorbed immediately, like all sugary drinks, as the fibre has been removed.
Some experts say that drinking fructose in liquid form stops the liver from doing its job properly, which is linked to a range of health problems, including obesity, type-2 diabetes and increased fat production, including in the liver itself.
/more

:dunno:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion