Bodycount So Far?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Bodycount So Far?

#21  Postby Fallible » Jul 09, 2019 9:01 am

laklak wrote:
Fallible wrote:Does knife crime increase have a unique cause?

You won't let them have guns?

Yep, just in the last year this has suddenly become an issue.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 09, 2019 10:12 am

Maybe it's a reaction to the "war on masculinity" - extreme violence, the last refuge of monkey man.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#23  Postby aufbahrung » Jul 09, 2019 11:35 am

felltoearth wrote:
aufbahrung wrote:
Fallible wrote:
aufbahrung wrote:There's a lot of difference between realism that is possible today and the stick figures of yesteryear. Or even a few short years ago with cartoon abstractions. Exactly like uncanny valley in reverse are we approaching the point that abstract and undamaging virtual killing comes to resemble more and more the real thing? on the battlefield this sort of training in cold blooded death dealing might be useful. On the other hand with the surge of knife crime here in the UK are we witnessing the effects that blurring the lines between the real and unreal might generate in real time?

Oh the surge in knife crimes. Yes, this is clearly one of the bloodiest periods in UK history, fuelled by the blurring of the line between virtual reality and real reality. Or is it? Only, statistics only started in 1981. Also, there has been a rise in other crimes. Does knife crime increase have a unique cause?

It was a different world in medieval times when a similar spike in violence likely occured. Before there was television and everything. Lots of archeological evidence violence was rife before planning regulations, mass literacy and that sort of thing amongst the masses. Further back in time similar conditions for different reasons does not invalidate the rapid spiral of violence now...and it's more techno-dysfunctional causes.

The increase in violent crime though actually minimal in comparison to previous generations, is entirely due to demographics. The largest youth cohort since the boomers is now working its way through the system and it's showing. As predicted in this book http://www.footwork.com/2000.asp back in 1996.

....and when thousands of youth sit together in a elite university does that provoke a increase in violence? Demographics remember? No, because they are using more word-processors and not first-person-shooters so much. The games industry is feeding the 'male violence' meme like a drug pusher. Whilst most won't become violence adicts, some in less refined environements will be influenced. And the games industry are making big money like online gambling cartels out of these vulnerablities.
'Land of snap decisions
Land of short attention spans
Nothing is savored
Long enough to really, really understand'
- Joni Mitchell
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Fallible » Jul 09, 2019 12:23 pm

Are you kidding? Students aren’t gaming as much? :lol:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby aufbahrung » Jul 09, 2019 1:54 pm

Fallible wrote:Are you kidding? Students aren’t gaming as much? :lol:

....at colleges, especially the sort the duffers attend for a fake education, probably they do. :coffee:
'Land of snap decisions
Nothing is savored
- Joni Mitchell
aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby felltoearth » Jul 09, 2019 2:19 pm

aufbahrung wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
aufbahrung wrote:
Fallible wrote:

Oh the surge in knife crimes. Yes, this is clearly one of the bloodiest periods in UK history, fuelled by the blurring of the line between virtual reality and real reality. Or is it? Only, statistics only started in 1981. Also, there has been a rise in other crimes. Does knife crime increase have a unique cause?

It was a different world in medieval times when a similar spike in violence likely occured. Before there was television and everything. Lots of archeological evidence violence was rife before planning regulations, mass literacy and that sort of thing amongst the masses. Further back in time similar conditions for different reasons does not invalidate the rapid spiral of violence now...and it's more techno-dysfunctional causes.

The increase in violent crime though actually minimal in comparison to previous generations, is entirely due to demographics. The largest youth cohort since the boomers is now working its way through the system and it's showing. As predicted in this book http://www.footwork.com/2000.asp back in 1996.

....and when thousands of youth sit together in a elite university does that provoke a increase in violence? Demographics remember? No, because they are using more word-processors and not first-person-shooters so much. The games industry is feeding the 'male violence' meme like a drug pusher. Whilst most won't become violence adicts, some in less refined environements will be influenced. And the games industry are making big money like online gambling cartels out of these vulnerablities.

I have no idea what you are talking about here because it doesn’t correspond to any reality.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 09, 2019 2:32 pm

It's hard to predict which barmy direction this thread is going to leap at with abandon next.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby aufbahrung » Jul 09, 2019 3:28 pm

Spearthrower wrote:It's hard to predict which barmy direction this thread is going to leap at with abandon next.

Human, only human. :?
'Land of snap decisions
Nothing is savored
- Joni Mitchell
aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Thommo » Jul 09, 2019 3:41 pm

I've been gaming for years, but I can safely say I haven't killed more than 2 or 3 random strangers in real life.
Thommo

Print view this post

#30  Postby Fallible » Jul 09, 2019 3:52 pm

aufbahrung wrote:
Fallible wrote:Are you kidding? Students aren’t gaming as much? :lol:

....at colleges, especially the sort the duffers attend for a fake education, probably they do. :coffee:

Your posts are bizarre.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby newolder » Jul 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Barmy direction #1. (Coded simulants are never alive so asking about how many are killed is a category error.)

What definition of "kill" is in use here? Does the OP wish to count all the coded simulants destroyed when a machine is simply turned off? :ask:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#32  Postby BlackBart » Jul 09, 2019 4:52 pm

newolder wrote:Barmy direction #1. (Coded simulants are never alive so asking about how many are killed is a category error.)

What definition of "kill" is in use here? Does the OP wish to count all the coded simulants destroyed when a machine is simply turned off? :ask:

Or the game ends. Maybe the OP thinks Wreck-it-Ralph was a documentary?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby newolder » Jul 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Had to google that^
Arcade-game character Wreck-It Ralph (John C. Reilly) is tired of always being the "bad guy" and losing to his "good guy" opponent, Fix-It Felix (Jack McBrayer). Finally, after decades of seeing all the glory go to Felix, Ralph decides to take matters into his own hands. ...
and still, :scratch:

The last computer game I recall playing more than once (apart from chess, obvsly) was a version of SimCity probably sometime in the last millennium. Also, many FIFA-game & such related crowds get 'disappeared' at various times too...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#34  Postby felltoearth » Jul 09, 2019 5:49 pm

newolder wrote:Had to google that^
Arcade-game character Wreck-It Ralph (John C. Reilly) is tired of always being the "bad guy" and losing to his "good guy" opponent, Fix-It Felix (Jack McBrayer). Finally, after decades of seeing all the glory go to Felix, Ralph decides to take matters into his own hands. ...
and still, :scratch:

The last computer game I recall playing more than once (apart from chess, obvsly) was a version of SimCity probably sometime in the last millennium. Also, many FIFA-game & such related crowds get 'disappeared' at various times too...

Me too. I created a neighbourhood once where there wasn't enough water to put out an apartment fire that spread to the next apartment tower, well, because zoning. The population went down that day. Oops, my bad.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Rumraket » Jul 14, 2019 11:19 pm

I've probably killed several millions. If we include strategy games like starcraft or the appropriately named Total Annihilation where you can kill large swarms of enemies with a single well-placed action I've probably killed hundreds of millions.

What began as a conflict over the transfer of consciousness from flesh to machines, escalated into a war that has decimated a million worlds. The Core and The Arm have all but exhausted the resources of a galaxy in their struggle for domination. Both sides now crippled beyond repair, the remnants of their armies continue to battle on ravaged planets, their hatred fueled by over four thousand years of total war. This is a fight to the death. For each side, the only acceptable outcome is the complete elimination of the other.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Matt_B » Jul 15, 2019 1:06 am

There's a whole genre of games, notably Pandemic and Plague Inc., in which you can simulate wiping out the entire human race in a matter of minutes. After a few plays you'll probably have a body count higher than the number of human beings that have ever lived.

On the whole, I'd probably have more issues with games where the visceral nature of individual deaths is at the forefront and/or where dubious moral justifications are put forward (e.g. you play a serial killer preying upon innocent victims rather than, say, a soldier in a war zone or the last survivor in the zombie apocalypse) although I've yet to see anything I'd think worthy of an outright ban instead of just an 18+ rating.

So far as killing an AI capable of more than a set of simple pre-programmed responses and/or a few rudimentary learning algorithms, that could eventually start to raise some moral issues too. Still, we're not even close to that yet; no matter how realistic what you're shooting at might look, it's just being controlled by a wall-following bot whose existence is being no more threatened than the other humans in a PvP game.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Discussion