Britain's most prolific rapist sentenced to life.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Britain's most prolific rapist sentenced to life.

#1  Postby quas » Jan 08, 2020 3:06 am

Britain's most prolific rapist spent 12 years drugging and assaulting young men -- until one woke up.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/06/uk/reynh ... index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... manchester

He had a system for preying on men. He lived in a flat right next to a nightclub. Probably spent all day looking out the flat window spotting his targets. Individual men who were too drunk to go home, men who had gone out drinking and left alone by their drinking buddies, men with low-batt phones, etc. Under the guise of friendliness, he brought them to his place, offering them a place to sleep or just charge their mobile. Once inside the flat, they were given drink spiked with some sort of rape drug, thought to be GHB. (The police found bottles of alcohol in his flat, but zero trace whatsoever of any rape drug. It was suspected that he had given them GHB based on a chat he had with his friend. On his mobile phone/computer, there is a chatlog of him mentioning about giving the men something to drink and that "a drop is enough" - so it's assumed that it's GHB.)

He was only discovered when one of the men woke up in the midst of assault. The angry fella called the police, and police came raiding his flat to discover that he had recorded on his mobile phone videos of him penetrating passed-out men. (During his trial, he insisted that the men consented and merely pretended to be asleep as some sort of "50 Shades of Grey" fetish shit. His videos had to be played in court to determine that the men were actually asleep: the men were snoring.) Besides videos, he also kept records of the men's identity. He had photos of their ID card, bank number, social media account, etc. It is through this extensive catalogue that the police are able to identify his victims.

Were it not for the police informing them, the victims are completely unaware that they had been assaulted. And that's an interesting moral conundrum. This is what a victim said in the court testimony, "I remember the day the police contacted me, it is a day I will never forget because it changed my life forever." Prior to the police visit, the victims were living their life happily, blissfully unaware that they had been raped. As some of the victims had not yet been visited by the police, maybe the police shouldn't inform them.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

Re: Britain's most prolific rapist sentenced to life.

#2  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 08, 2020 8:20 am

Prior to the police visit, the victims were living their life happily, blissfully unaware that they had been raped. As some of the victims had not yet been visited by the police, maybe the police shouldn't inform them.

They have a right to know, and there's at least as much of a moral conundrum in the idea of the authorities deciding on their behalf not to tell them. Knowing what happened may have changed their lives forever, but it doesn't say that any of them wished they'd remained ignorant of the facts.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Re: Britain's most prolific rapist sentenced to life.

#3  Postby Alan B » Jan 08, 2020 12:43 pm

Should be interesting to see what will happen to him inside...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to General Discussion