Concerns about Education in NZ

Need to get this off my chest

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Concerns about Education in NZ

#21  Postby jamest » May 21, 2020 3:39 am

Let's be honest, have schools improved the quality of life upon this planet? No. They've just facilitated an increase in population and greed. They've done nothing to diminish suffering.

I have a 13 year-old daughter who is currently off school until at least September. Am I worried? Not really, except for her physical and psychological health, because schools teach you nothing other than to perpetuate the status quo of keeping the richest 1% the richest. And fuck that.

The world is on fire and your first concern is for your child's lack of education from your State, which - just like Trump's - needs to keep the 1% rich at all costs? Trillions of dollars printed and the bulk of that goes into sustaining the stock market, for the sake of the 1%.

These fuckers are mugging us off right before our eyes and yet you're worried that your kids are missing out on an education system designed to sustain this status quo?

Have a fucking word with yourself.

WAKE THE FUCK UP.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Hermit » May 21, 2020 4:19 am

jamest wrote:Let's be honest, have schools improved the quality of life upon this planet? No. [...]

WAKE THE FUCK UP.

Uh oh. Someone's on the turps again.

I would think a lack of schools will return us to the dark ages where an abscessed tooth could mean death and the people living 20 miles away may as well be foreigners.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#23  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 21, 2020 4:30 am

My kids are stuck living within the confines of the world as it is. I'm going to keep encouraging the pursuit of whatever maximises the likelihood of a comfortable life.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#24  Postby campermon » May 21, 2020 7:05 am

jamest wrote:Let's be honest, have schools improved the quality of life upon this planet? No. They've just facilitated an increase in population and greed. They've done nothing to diminish suffering.

Says the product of an enlightened, educated and largely well fed, healthy nation.

Would you rather have died in infancy of a preventable disease?
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby devogue » May 21, 2020 9:59 am

jamest wrote:Let's be honest, have schools improved the quality of life upon this planet? No. They've just facilitated an increase in population and greed. They've done nothing to diminish suffering.

I have a 13 year-old daughter who is currently off school until at least September. Am I worried? Not really, except for her physical and psychological health, because schools teach you nothing other than to perpetuate the status quo of keeping the richest 1% the richest. And fuck that.

The world is on fire and your first concern is for your child's lack of education from your State, which - just like Trump's - needs to keep the 1% rich at all costs? Trillions of dollars printed and the bulk of that goes into sustaining the stock market, for the sake of the 1%.

These fuckers are mugging us off right before our eyes and yet you're worried that your kids are missing out on an education system designed to sustain this status quo?

WAKE THE FUCK UP.

Shushhh, you silly cunt.
It's PETUNIAS TIME again, folks!!!

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

#26  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 21, 2020 10:50 am

WAKE THE FUCK UP.

There is of course a negative effect of education: it's enabled you to post this bullshit on an otherwise interesting topic.

What's the benefit of education, he asks, on a computer developed by scientists, in a writing system he learned in school.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Bubalus » May 21, 2020 12:16 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:

WAKE THE FUCK UP.

There is of course a negative effect of education: it's enabled you to post this bullshit on an otherwise interesting topic.

What's the benefit of education, he asks, on a computer developed by scientists, in a writing system he learned in school.

Ah, but what has education ever done for us... :whistle:
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” -Stephen Hawking‏
Bubalus

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby jamest » May 22, 2020 4:03 am

I was serious. WHAT benefits to humanity has education yielded other than increased suffering?

At least in the 'dark ages' there were far fewer people to suffer.

Continue to mock if you wish, but I did raise a valuable point.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#29  Postby jamest » May 22, 2020 4:08 am

The other point to make is that for all the technological advances made via science etc., how are WE as a species better off than we were at any point in our history? And I'm talking qualitatively here. Are we any any happier than the cave men? I fucking sincerely doubt it. Especially in 2020.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Fenrir » May 22, 2020 4:53 am

devogue wrote:

<snip>

- or possibly give me some questions I can ask his teacher without making a dick of myself.

<snip>

Too late
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#31  Postby don't get me started » May 22, 2020 4:54 am

jamest wrote:The other point to make is that for all the technological advances made via science etc., how are WE as a species better off than we were at any point in our history? And I'm talking qualitatively here. Are we any any happier than the cave men? I fucking sincerely doubt it. Especially in 2020.

Get naked and walk across the Serengeti. In the unlikely event of your survival, you'll be able to report to us all on the pros and cons of ancient and modern modes of living.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#32  Postby jamest » May 22, 2020 5:01 am

Obviously, if I were born and lived in the Serengeti then I'd be an expert in surviving there. I wouldn't need to learn science to teach me that, just my parents/tribe.

You're missing the fucking point, obviously, which is that the qualitative value of life transcends survival, something that none of us are sure about even in this present age.

Wake the fuck up. Certainly, improve the quality of your remedial responses.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#33  Postby campermon » May 22, 2020 7:29 am

jamest wrote:
You're missing the fucking point, obviously, which is that the qualitative value of life transcends survival, something that none of us are sure about even in this present age.

Yes, I appear to be missing your point.

Your thesis is that ancient peoples, qualitatively, had a better life?

Please present your evidence to support this.

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby newolder » May 22, 2020 7:43 am

^ Is this where jamest learns about idiomatic Catch 22? He cannot supply his thesis on his perceived lack of benefits of education without first benefiting from an education on how to supply a thesis.
Last edited by newolder on May 22, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#35  Postby Svartalf » May 22, 2020 8:10 am

campermon wrote:
jamest wrote:

Yes, I appear to be missing your point.

Your thesis is that ancient peoples, qualitatively, had a better life?

Please present your evidence to support this.

:thumbup:

I can personally attest that the quality of life in the modern world is better than it was even 70 years ago, since, had I been born then or earlier, I would not have lived at all.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Fallible » May 22, 2020 9:42 am

jamest wrote:I was serious. WHAT benefits to humanity has education yielded other than increased suffering?

At least in the 'dark ages' there were far fewer people to suffer.

Continue to mock if you wish, but I did raise a valuable point.

You didn’t.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Evolving » May 22, 2020 10:14 am

I would be blind today if it weren’t for modern medicine. And I am passionately grateful for anaesthetics during operations. To name just two benefits.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Fallible » May 22, 2020 10:15 am

On a far more trivial note, books are one of the biggest pleasures in my life. I very much enjoy being able to read.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Evolving » May 22, 2020 10:15 am

My daughter‘s school uses not Zoom but Microsoft Teams, and I used it myself recently on a feedback call with two of her teachers and the school psychologist. I don’t know whether the same security concerns exist.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Evolving » May 22, 2020 10:16 am

Fallible wrote:On a far more trivial note, books are one of the biggest pleasures in my life. I very much enjoy being able to read.

Yep.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion