doctor told me to sleep on the floor...?

by doctor I mean chiropractor...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

doctor told me to sleep on the floor...?

#1  Postby inkaStepa » Jan 26, 2011 7:26 pm

I've been having back aches lately so I managed to get a cheap evaluation by a chiropractor. He told me that I should lay my matress on the floor (it's a cheap matress with no bedspring, just a few planks of wood) and it will put my spine in a much better position. Does anyone here do this and do you think it'll work? It sounds uncomfortable and my floor is tiled...
inkaStepa

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: doctor told me to sleep on the floor...?

#2  Postby Animavore » Jan 26, 2011 7:28 pm

Given the reputation of chiropractors as quacks it may not be advisable.
It may be dearer, but go to a doctor.
The thing about Irish people is they're always just sort of angry.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby inkaStepa » Jan 26, 2011 7:30 pm

I would but can't because I don't have health insurance...
inkaStepa

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Jan 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Oh yeah, America... I keep forgetting.
The thing about Irish people is they're always just sort of angry.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Weaver » Jan 26, 2011 7:42 pm

1) Sometimes a poor mattress, particularly a too-soft mattress, can lead to back pain.
2) Sometimes putting something firm between the mattress and springs helps. I once used an ironing board, believe it or not.
3) What you are experiencing is nothing to do with "spinal position", as your chiropractor is claiming, and everything to do with muscular tension.
4) If I were you, I would get out of the habit of calling chiropractors "Doctors" - most of them aren't, and those that are "doctors of chiropracty" aren't in the league of MDs.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby David M » Jan 26, 2011 7:48 pm

If your mattress is soft and not well supported it can lead to back ache. Soft mattresses do that for me quite a lot.

I have slept on the floor quite a few times in the past to avoid this.

I'd say give it a try and see if it works, you are not risking any damage by doing so. If it does stop the back aches then you will know that you need a firm matress with solid support.

One of the pieces of advice my father gave me was to buy a firm mattress and spend as much as I could afford on it as I was going to spend a third of my time lying on it for many years.
David M

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Ubjon » Jan 26, 2011 10:35 pm

I love my memory-foam mattress but I sleep best on a hard surface. Yeah I wouldn't follow the advice of a micky-mouse person like a chiropractor when it comes to needing real medical advice. You may as well pay for a witch doctor to sacrifice a chicken and rub its entrails on you.
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Dracena » Jan 26, 2011 11:55 pm

Tile floor doesn't sound good...nothing ruins a night's sleep like being cold. If you're going to try it then make sure you stay warm enough.
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby ramseyoptom » Jan 27, 2011 12:09 am

Another thing to try may be sleep with a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel by your back, that an a good rub with some Deep Heat. I have had the odd problem with back pain goes with the job unfortunatly and have found that often helps. I would also echo the comments about a decent mattress, as well as sleeping on the floor.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
ramseyoptom

Name: Ian
Male

Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

#10  Postby jaydot » Jan 27, 2011 12:16 am

my neighbour suffers back pain and sleeps on a door. he avers that a soft bed is ruinous to his back.
jaydot

Print view this post

#11  Postby Delvo » Jan 27, 2011 1:52 am

If the mattress is already on solid wood instead of a box of springs, how is the floor different? Or do you mean actually sleeping on the floor, not the mattress? Did the person who said to do this know that the mattress is already on a solid, non-moving surface?

It's true that a firmer sleeping surface can cure back pain for a lot of people. The pain comes from muscles flexing too much, and apparently a soft one makes those muscles more likely to somehow get the impression that they should be flexing a lot. Sleeping on the floor, or anything else harder than the mattress, would help with that. If the tiles are cold, put a few blankets on them; they'll insulate but won't be enough to make the surface too soft again.

With a SelectComfort air mattress (particularly one without too much extra padding on top), you can make the mattress as soft or firm as you want at any time.
Delvo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Tyrannical » Jan 27, 2011 3:25 am

inkaStepa wrote:I've been having back aches lately so I managed to get a cheap evaluation by a chiropractor. He told me that I should lay my matress on the floor (it's a cheap matress with no bedspring, just a few planks of wood) and it will put my spine in a much better position. Does anyone here do this and do you think it'll work? It sounds uncomfortable and my floor is tiled...

I don't sleep on the floor, but I'll lay down flat on back for a while and it really does help my back. I'd do it on the bare floor and not with the mattress though. Try it for 10 or 20 minutes and see if it makes you feel better.
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby paceetrate » Jan 27, 2011 9:01 am

Or alternatively, your mattress may be too hard. I've gotten a stiff back after spending the night on a harder-than-I'm-used-to mattress before (or on the floor/ground). So, if laying on the floor doesn't help, it might be that. In any case, splurge and buy a decent mattress as soon as you can afford it, and once you've figured out what firmness you need.

Two things you should never be afraid to spend good money on: a quality mattress, and quality shoes. Both will save you from sore muscles.
paceetrate

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to General Discussion