Dyson vs Electrolux

This is not a Mac vs PC topic...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

Dyson vs Electrolux

#1  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 10, 2011 9:50 am

From the topic on the death of Steve Jobs, which has for the moment turned into yet another Mac vs PC discussion, our colleague Jumbo made the following remark:
Jumbo wrote:...I agree I doubt we would have the same discussion about Dyson vs Electrolux. Though i have a few choice words to say about the Dyson we own and the weird nosies it randomly makes. I guess the difference is i enjoy using my computer and the vacuum, well unless i was using it wrong, i didn't have much fun hoovering our rabbit room a few minutes ago! (Neither did the magic cyclone technology) :whistle:

Well, I'm here to assert that my Dyson canister vaccuum cleaner, model DC-8, is the best vacuum cleaner I have ever owned. I bought this thing in 2004, and it is all original equipment and working perfectly. There are no consumable items. All I do is clean the motor filter a couple times a year in water.

Does Electrolux have anything similar? The only other vacuum cleaners I have ever owned were a cheap upright made by Hoover, and a Hoover cannister vacuum. Both worked well, but both used the paper filter bags. Which, as we know, work great when they're fresh, but are less and less effective as they fill.

Dyson rules!
My blog, Skepdick.eu

"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another." - Carl Sagan
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Dyson vs Electrolux

#2  Postby Bribase » Oct 10, 2011 10:02 am

Nope, Dyson or nothing.

They just work perfectly and feel like the right tool for the job.

Use anything else and you might as well use prayer.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Jumbo » Oct 10, 2011 10:05 am

Don't get me wrong my Dyson is the best vacuum i have owned and doesn't lose power as much as the horrible bag things. Its just theres a couple of areas which on my model rely on a tiny tiny rubber seal to maintain suction. If thats not aligned perfectly the thing sounds like a jet engine gone wrong. If it is aligned perfectly well lets just say i have found it had gobbled up several pens and other items of assorted stationary i thought i had lost forever.

My Dyson appears to rely on a little rubber seal so did the space shuttle. though its rather less critical in my hoover I wonder what else does?
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Oct 10, 2011 10:09 am

We've got Henry

The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby I'm With Stupid » Oct 10, 2011 10:17 am

I don't have a hoover, but Henry is definitely the connoisseur's choice. Dyson are pretty good too, and they do make the world's greatest bathroom hand dryers. I have an Electrolux kettle. Never let me down yet.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Jumbo » Oct 10, 2011 10:39 am

Dyson are pretty good too, and they do make the world's greatest bathroom hand dryers.

Is that those air blade things?

One of the few that actually dries you hands rather than warming them slightly. Though i have to say their violence was a shock the first time i used one and i felt lucky i came away with all my digits still attached!

2. Think very hard.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 10, 2011 11:58 am

While my thoughts on the superiority of Dyson are clear, but I just don't think this topic is going to generate quite the strength of conviction that your typical Mac user enjoys.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another." - Carl Sagan
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 10, 2011 12:29 pm

I agree it wont. A vacuum cleaner is a vacuum cleaner. We never use one as we have no carpets or curtains.

I am always amazed how the name hoover after all these years is still used for a vacuum cleaner.

I always have a chuckle about the Dutch name; stofzuiger (a dust sucker) :lol:
Myths in islam Women and islam

“Emotional excitement reaches men through tea, tobacco, opium, whisky, and religion.” — George Bernard Shaw (1856 – 1950)

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy
Suspended User

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Jumbo » Oct 10, 2011 12:55 pm

The_Metatron wrote:While my thoughts on the superiority of Dyson are clear, but I just don't think this topic is going to generate quite the strength of conviction that your typical Mac user enjoys.

Perhaps the topic should have been Dyson vs Electrolux vs Microsoft vs Apple because depending upon who you ask you will get a strong opinion about which ones suck the most! :lol:

2. Think very hard.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Wiðercora » Oct 10, 2011 12:58 pm

My flat's all tiled, so we just use a dustpan and brush and a mop, not a hoover. So I take the third option.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby james1v » Oct 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Whats "vacuming"? Some kind of space experiment, done in your living room? :scratch:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Agrippina » Oct 10, 2011 2:13 pm

:rofl: men discussing vacuum cleaners. :rofl:

Times have certainly changed. The men of my generation believe they are things used by the valet service to clean the sand out of their cars. They wouldn't know a Hoover from a Genesis.

Personally, I have a darling little rechargeable machine that cleans up everything, even the paving outside the house, and I don't have to clean up dirty vacuum bags. Just a little tray that I empty into the trash. All done, nice a clean.
Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature.
Michael Faraday
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#13  Postby felltoearth » Oct 10, 2011 2:15 pm

Fuck you all. I have a Kirby. It rocks.

:hide:
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Agrippina » Oct 10, 2011 2:18 pm

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature.
Michael Faraday
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#15  Postby rJD » Oct 10, 2011 2:20 pm

felltoearth wrote:Fuck you all. I have a Kirby. It rocks.

:hide:

We nearly bought one of those. Terrific machine - though it weighed a ton and was horrendously overpriced. What really turned us away was the play-acting and manipulation of the salesman who "negotiated" a better (but still sky high) price "with his manager" and pressured us to buy immediately. In the end, we bought a Dyson - which is superb. Don't know how it compares to Electrolux but it made the previous models we'd used look like Chad Valley*.

(*insert your own children's toy manufacturer here)
I was "jd" in RDF, and am still in Rationalia.com

"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish, spread the "meme".

rJD
RS Donator

Name: John
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Agrippina » Oct 10, 2011 2:24 pm

I've given up on heavy duty equipment of any sort. The easiest, lightest, least labour-intensive devices are all I'm using now. And if I can get away with living without lifting a finger to do any work, that's what I'll do, hence the rechargeable, pull out the drawer to clean it device.
Michael Faraday
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#17  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Kirbys are good, no doubt about it. Not a good value though, due to their massive overpricing.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Globe » Oct 10, 2011 2:32 pm

Pfff......

Get ROBOTICS.
If you run them every day all you have to do, when it comes to vacuuming, is empty the containers in them once a week.

Life is far too short to run around with a vacuum cleaner in your hand. :snooty: :levi:
"Justice will be served!
As soon as I can find you a piece that hasn't gone rotten." - Globe

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout.
Globe

Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Oct 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Dyson Air Blades are incredible.

I was using cheap Bissels for vacuuming until recently. My life has changed dramatically.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby DoctorE » Oct 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Rainbow are the best; :P
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post