Forum Moderator Suggestions.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Moderator Recruitment

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 10, 2011 8:37 am

With a new round of Moderator Recruitment going on:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/annou ... 19101.html

I thought it would be nice if members suggested people they thought would make good moderators.

The reason for this is that some people may not have considered themselves moderator material before and therefore might not consider putting themselves forward.

It's even possible, following findings such as Dunning-Kruger's illusory superiority, that the people least likely to put themselves forward might actually be the best choice.

In positive spirit, I would ask that only positive suggestions be made and that, just as with a meeting, people can second a suggestion but not dispute it. Ultimately, it is going to be for the moderation team to decide, but this might help a few people put themselves forward.

So, I would like to nominate the following 4 for now to get the ball rolling:

DanDare: I've always admired his calm manner, solid reasoning, and application of argument to evidence.
Hackenslash: I know he wouldn't put himself forward as a moderator, but I think we all owe a lot to him for getting back together at RatSkep.
Jerome: Although I disagree with nearly everything he believes in, he still would make a good moderator of the relevant sections: i.e. pseudostuff / theism
Susu.exp: A sound knowledge of scientific theories across a wide area of expertise, plus an unruffled temperament and fact-driven style of argument.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Moderator Recruitment

#2  Postby Made of Stars » Feb 10, 2011 9:43 am

IMO, the 'Mericans are under-represented. Weaver strikes me as a well-balanced and mature person whose outlook would benefit the team and forum. What about it, Weaver?
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 10, 2011 9:55 am

Made of Stars wrote:IMO, the 'Mericans are under-represented. Weaver strikes me as a well-balanced and mature person whose outlook would benefit the team and forum. What about it, Weaver?

Seconded!

It'll give him something to do now he's a civvy as well! Although when he starts organising us into regiments and calling for night patrols, we might need to slap him down a bit! :grin:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby NineOneFour » Feb 10, 2011 11:18 am

Made of Stars wrote:IMO, the 'Mericans are under-represented. Weaver strikes me as a well-balanced and mature person whose outlook would benefit the team and forum. What about it, Weaver?

Nice one.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Weaver » Feb 10, 2011 11:31 am

Spearthrower wrote:

Seconded!

It'll give him something to do now he's a civvy as well! Although when he starts organising us into regiments and calling for night patrols, we might need to slap him down a bit! :grin:

I ain't a damn civvy yet - not until December. Even then, taking off the green is likely to be just a change of clothing, rather than a massive personality change.

I appreciate the thoughts - and Spearthrower, never fear - no night patrols. I do know who the first person will be for when Command asks for names for detail to burn the shitters. :evilgrin:
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Eduard » Feb 10, 2011 12:53 pm

I have no idea on whether these people are available or even want to consider moderating, just my opinion:

virphen
Blip
Agrippina
theropod
susu.exp
felltoearth
-Ed

"Together we'll pull through. We are the strong, the brave, the few"
Eduard

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby natselrox » Feb 10, 2011 1:00 pm

Redial

:evilgrin:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Eduard » Feb 10, 2011 1:07 pm

Spearthrower, why don't you apply?
-Ed

"Together we'll pull through. We are the strong, the brave, the few"
Eduard

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Eduard wrote:I have no idea on whether these people are available or even want to consider moderating, just my opinion:

That's alright - that's precisely the point! :cheers:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Paul G » Feb 10, 2011 1:10 pm

Weaver's a good shout.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 10, 2011 1:10 pm

Eduard wrote:Spearthrower, why don't you apply?

I'm not moderate enough. :shifty: :cheers:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby natselrox » Feb 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Eduard wrote:Spearthrower, why don't you apply?

Seconded.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Scar » Feb 10, 2011 1:19 pm

I second all of the aforementioned.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Aern Rakesh » Feb 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Okay, I read that as the Mexicans are under-represented. Couldn't see the connection with Weaver, but yes, he'd have my vote as well.

Also Aggie is a good suggestion.

Fraser has the experience and the time---not sure if he's interested though.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Skinny Puppy » Feb 10, 2011 3:52 pm

Just off the top of my head, there are probably others, but for now.

Hackenslash
Agrippina
Spearthrower
NineOneFour
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby tuco » Feb 10, 2011 4:02 pm

I find it hard to believe that someone with (very) strong opinions/feelings on certain matters is able to decide without bias on a job. Also, I am not all that sure that (very) active members/contributors/debaters make the best Mods. Lastly, position of an arbiter has little to do with popularity. For me, a Mod should be as unbiased as humanly possible in the first place.

Either way, and as it was said, perhaps those interested should apply themselves.
tuco

Print view this post

#17  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 10, 2011 4:39 pm

tuco wrote:I find it hard to believe that someone with (very) strong opinions/feelings on certain matters is able to decide without bias on a job. Also, I am not all that sure that (very) active members/contributors/debaters make the best Mods. Lastly, position of an arbiter has little to do with popularity. For me, a Mod should be as unbiased as humanly possible in the first place.

Either way, and as it was said, perhaps those interested should apply themselves.

I feel you didn't read the initial post.

It doesn't say 'Choose someone you like' - it says

I thought it would be nice if members suggested people they thought would make good moderators.

As you may note, if you had read the initial post, I put up reasons for my choices that do not coincide with your concerns. I put up people who had effectively shown restraint, and calm decision making, logical and fact-based posts.

The only 'very active member' I put up was Hack as I think we've all got a lot to be grateful to him for in bringing us back together when the RDF was pulled out from under our feet. With Hack, I also know that he wouldn't accept a moderatorship even if we all unanimously voted him in, so it was just a mark of gratitude.

Again, I feel you didn't read the initial post as I expressly said that the reason for this is to encourage people who might not volunteer themselves... and then went on to say that people who do not volunteer themselves may very well be the best people for the job.

Finally, I notice you didn't even suggest anyone after all that. Perhaps you could have just read the first post and saved yourself all that wasted time considering every one of your points was already covered in the initial post?

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby tuco » Feb 10, 2011 4:46 pm

It was based on reactions rather than the bold-underline. It is just opinion/comment/note. No need to justify it or disprove it. As usual, do not mind me and carry on.
tuco

Print view this post

#19  Postby pensioner » Feb 10, 2011 4:46 pm

I'm disappointed that no one has mentioned my name, just to remind you all, Pensioner. Wait a minute I have had a warning. Shit may be next time I will be in with a chance. :popcorn:
There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby pensioner » Feb 10, 2011 4:49 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
tuco wrote:I find it hard to believe that someone with (very) strong opinions/feelings on certain matters is able to decide without bias on a job. Also, I am not all that sure that (very) active members/contributors/debaters make the best Mods. Lastly, position of an arbiter has little to do with popularity. For me, a Mod should be as unbiased as humanly possible in the first place.

I feel you didn't read the initial post.

It doesn't say 'Choose someone you like' - it says

As you may note, if you had read the initial post, I put up reasons for my choices that do not coincide with your concerns. I put up people who had effectively shown restraint, and calm decision making, logical and fact-based posts.

The only 'very active member' I put up was Hack as I think we've all got a lot to be grateful to him for in bringing us back together when the RDF was pulled out from under our feet. With Hack, I also know that he wouldn't accept a moderatorship even if we all unanimously voted him in, so it was just a mark of gratitude.

Again, I feel you didn't read the initial post as I expressly said that the reason for this is to encourage people who might not volunteer themselves... and then went on to say that people who do not volunteer themselves may very well be the best people for the job.

Finally, I notice you didn't even suggest anyone after all that. Perhaps you could have just read the first post and saved yourself all that wasted time considering every one of your points was already covered in the initial post?

Well said mate. I agree with the recommendation's that the membership have made so far.
There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion