Giving a cat liquid medicine

So much easier than I had thought

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

Giving a cat liquid medicine

#1  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 19, 2012 2:49 am

I noticed that my cat, Franky was having some reddish discharge around his eye which turned out to be bleeding. The vet suspected that it was probably an auto immune response, or possibly an infection. She prescribed a liquid steroid and a liquid antibiotic.

I know my cat, and so I was rightly filled with dread. I had the feeling his condition wasn't going to go away by itself, and I also knew that trying to administer not one but two doses would be traumatic for both of us, emotional in his case, and physical in mine.

I tried using the method that the vet demonstrated, but because he wasn't scared stiff from being outside of his element it failed miserably. Two nights in a row I had to swaddle him in a blanket and listen to him hiss and moan and struggle with trying to keep his legs in the blanket and his claws out of my dermis. He could twist his head in such a way as to be practically impossible to get the medicine in. I managed to do it but wound up bloody each time.

I had a brief talk with one of the veterinary nurses and tried her suggestions, and now I feel like a pro :D So I thought I would share for all you other cat people (or not cat people with cats)

1: Get a thick blanket and your medicine all ready in the administering spot on the floor.

2: Bring the cat over to where you are going to give the medicine by the scruff of the neck while supporting them by the butt and hind legs with the other hand. They instantly relax and turn into kittens when you grab them that way.

3: Sit with your legs extended forward, slightly apart, and place the blanket over your legs and push it down so that it forms like a hot dog bun.

4: place the cat into the depression in the blanket between your legs facing away from you, then close your legs tight so that he is secure, then pull his chin up stroking it while comforting him/her.

5: while holding the syringe in your primary hand and your off hand still stroking the chin with pinky and ring finger, use the other two fingers to gently coax his mouth open.

6: when it opens inject the fluid and continue to stroke the chin holding the head up so he will swallow.

Don't forget to give him lots of treats and love after.

I had almost no struggle, and he didn't even seem that upset after. Well a little :)
Last edited by CdesignProponentsist on Jun 19, 2012 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Infinite loop?! I don't have time for that!" - Bender Bending Rodríguez
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Giving a cat liquid medicine

#2  Postby orpheus » Jun 19, 2012 2:52 am

Wow. Thank you for that. We have cats and medicine time is always an adventure.
I think that language has a lot to do with interfering in our relationship to direct experience. A simple thing like metaphor will allow you to go to a place and say 'this is like that'. Well, this isn't like that. This is like this.

–Richard Serra
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 19, 2012 2:57 am

You won't believe the amount of anxiety I was feeling. I dreaded putting him and myself through so much stress every day and on the other hand, having him suffer some horrible condition or death if I didn't. I'm flying solo so this is HUGE.

Needless to say, that vet nurse is getting a call tomorrow and my thanks.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Fishflaps » Jun 19, 2012 3:37 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:2: Bring the cat over to where you are going to give the medicine by the scruff of the neck. They instantly turn into kittens when you grab them that way and relax.

Did you support the cat's weight with your other hand? Carrying a cat entirely by the scruff of its neck is dangerous - they are a lot heavier than when they are kittens.
Fishflaps

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 19, 2012 4:03 am

Fishflaps wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:2: Bring the cat over to where you are going to give the medicine by the scruff of the neck. They instantly turn into kittens when you grab them that way and relax.

Did you support the cat's weight with your other hand? Carrying a cat entirely by the scruff of its neck is dangerous - they are a lot heavier than when they are kittens.

Yeah, with my other hand under his butt and back legs. Good point though.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Fishflaps » Jun 19, 2012 4:11 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
Fishflaps wrote:

Yeah, with my other hand under his butt and back legs. Good point though.

Good to hear 8-)
Fishflaps

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Weaver » Jun 19, 2012 5:46 am

So much easier than giving them pills ...

HOW TO GIVE YOUR CAT A PILL
IN TWENTY EASY STEPS

Sit on sofa. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your elbow as though you were going to give a bottle to a baby. Talk softly to it.

With right hand, position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. (be patient) As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow. Drop pill into mouth. Let go of cat, noticing the direction it runs.

Pick the pill up off the floor and go get the cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process. Sit on floor in kitchen, wrap arm around cat as before, drop pill in mouth. Let go of cat, noticing the direction it runs.

Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away. Scoot across floor to pick up pill, and go find the cat. Bring it back into the kitchen. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten. Drop pill into mouth.

Pry claws from back legs out of your arm. Go get the cat, pick up half-dissolved pill from floor and drop it into garbage can.

Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of closet. Call spouse from backyard. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

Retrieve cat from curtain rod, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered Doulton figures from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

Get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with rubber band.

Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

Call fire department to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take another pill from foil wrap.

Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed, force cat's mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour one cup of water down throat to wash pill down.

Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call at furniture shop on way home to order new table.

Get last pill from bottle. Go into bathroom and get a fluffy towel. Stay in the bathroom with the cat, and close the door.

Sit on bathroom floor, wrap towel around kitty, leaving only his head exposed. Cradle kitty in the crook of your arm, and pick up pill off of counter.

Retrieve cat from top of shower door (you didn't know that cats can jump 5 feet straight up in the air, did you?), and wrap towel around it a little tighter, making sure its paws can't come out this time. With fingers at either side of its jaw, pry it open and pop pill into mouth. Quickly close mouth (his, not yours).

Sit on floor with cat in your lap, stroking it under the chin and talking gently to it for at least a half hour, while the pill dissolves.

Unwrap towel, open bathroom door. Wash off scratches in warm soapy water, comb your hair, and go find something to occupy your time for 7-1/2 hours.

Arrange for SPCA to get cat and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby biscuit » Jun 19, 2012 6:00 am

Weaver wrote:

Unwrap towel, open bathroom door. Wash off scratches in warm soapy water, comb your hair, and go find something to occupy your time for 7-1/2 hours.

:lol: :lol:

But you missed the bit about putting on a long sleeved top so that the neighbours/work colleagues don't mistake you for a self harmer :o

Nice one CdP :thumbup: I have wrapped many a cat in my time and never go in alone unless absolutely necessary :nono:
biscuit

Female

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jun 19, 2012 6:14 am

To get them to take pills (or perhaps as an alternative way to get them to swallow liquids), you can also do this: get them on your knee, and when they open their mouth put the pill inside, then gently cover their nostrils with your finger until you see it gulp. It's an automatic reflex so it always works when done properly.
Mr.Samsa
Suspended User

Print view this post

#10  Postby gleniedee » Jun 19, 2012 7:53 am

I no longer have a cat,but I did once have a wonderful Russian Blue.

I pass on the hint below on the off chance there others here as gormless as I was:

IF for any reason,you find you absolutely must give you cat a bath, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES try to dry said cat with a hand-held electric hair dryer. You are more likely dangle your nuts in boiling water as a contraceptive measure, twice,than to try drying a cat with a hair dryer,twice.
gleniedee

Name: glen dee
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby biscuit » Jun 19, 2012 8:13 am

some lucky people just have cat wrapping down to a fine art

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm3dm5J5r0A[/youtube]

others...not so much :(

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCQNmFoz_dI[/youtube]
biscuit

Female

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#12  Postby mattthomas » Jun 19, 2012 8:30 am

Get a British shorthair, they're so gentle and slow that you can pretty much do anything with them, hence my bread warrior photo.
Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must, just don't quit!
mattthomas

Name: Matt
Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby orpheus » Jun 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Re pills: try pill pockets. Works wonders for us. To make them even more attractive we sometimes sprinkle a little powdered freeze-dried chicken or tuna over them.
I think that language has a lot to do with interfering in our relationship to direct experience. A simple thing like metaphor will allow you to go to a place and say 'this is like that'. Well, this isn't like that. This is like this.

–Richard Serra
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 20, 2012 4:29 pm

orpheus wrote:Re pills: try pill pockets. Works wonders for us. To make them even more attractive we sometimes sprinkle a little powdered freeze-dried chicken or tuna over them.

My cat would just look at it and look at me and say with his eyes "What do you take me for?" He has super spidey sense.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby orpheus » Jun 20, 2012 4:33 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
orpheus wrote:Re pills: try pill pockets. Works wonders for us. To make them even more attractive we sometimes sprinkle a little powdered freeze-dried chicken or tuna over them.

My cat would just look at it and look at me and say with his eyes "What do you take me for?" He has super spidey sense.

That happened with my cat, too. We gave her several chances to eat it, and then my wife "pilled" her (force fed her the pill - we were taught how to safely do this by the vet). The next day, same routine. And the next. Eventually she realized that simply eating the pill pocket was a lot more pleasant.

Although I see that it could have worked the other way, too. She could have simply associated the pill pocket with impending unpleasantness. I guess we were lucky.

–Richard Serra
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to General Discussion