Greatest Accomplishment So Far And Life Goals Now?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Greatest Accomplishment So Far And Life Goals Now?

#1  Postby aufbahrung » Apr 23, 2019 4:06 am

Avoiding smartphone culture is a big one for me. Can I manage another year without joining the brain-dead herd?
“Ne vous mêlez pas du pain”
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Greatest Accomplishment So Far And Life Goals Now?

#2  Postby Macdoc » Apr 23, 2019 4:13 am

hardly a bragging point

technology consists of tools - knowledge is how to use them, wisdom is when.

I saved a woman's life because I had a cell at hand. :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby surreptitious57 » Apr 23, 2019 4:39 am

It could be seen as an accomplishment if there was a high degree of resistance involved
Internet addiction is now a recognised psychiatric disorder just like any other addiction
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4  Postby aufbahrung » Apr 23, 2019 5:47 am

surreptitious57 wrote:It could be seen as an accomplishment if there was a high degree of resistance involved
Internet addiction is now a recognised psychiatric disorder just like any other addiction

I was innoculated with a graphic calculator in the 80s/90s.

...and knowledge.

https://atlantablackstar.com/2017/09/25 ... can-blood/
aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » Apr 23, 2019 8:29 am

Accomplishment possibly gratitude of clients in a senior center with intensive care and perhaps kudo's from the head of anesthesiology in childern's hospital who noted that the kids I brought in were easy to put asleep before procedures and wake up after.

Goal is clear, however, to die.
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby aufbahrung » Apr 23, 2019 9:14 am

tuco wrote:Accomplishment possibly gratitude of clients in a senior center with intensive care and perhaps kudo's from the head of anesthesiology in childern's hospital who noted that the kids I brought in were easy to put asleep before procedures and wake up after.

Goal is clear, however, to die.

Ambitious goal since they abolished death again at the weekend. :?
aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Svartalf » Apr 23, 2019 9:29 am

I have nothing to my name that I'd call an accomplishment, even my MA in the uni did not require that much work, and I could have produced a better thesis had I given it more time and effort.

As for life goals, finding a new lover before my poor heart is so broken it stops working would be a nice one.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Macdoc » Apr 23, 2019 11:17 am

ust like any other addiction

exactly ...hardly an accomplishment tho I'd mark overcoming physical addiction like booze or certain drugs a life accomplishment.
Fortunately my genetics seem substance resistance - really very little interest in booze or drugs tho marijuana is wonderful enhancer for certain experience ...music, food and :naughty2:

as for on topic.

Keeping a small business going for 33 years in a tough tech category I'm proud of and bringing two replacement kids of reasonable worth to the genetic mix despite a very late start.
Genetic line most likely stops with them ...that's okay too.

Still traveling lots, riding motorcycle at 71 for distance ( 520 km today ) with view to cross continent in June - reading lots, getting to be a better photographer. tolerating getting beaten at scrabble too often and finding a life partner from half a world away late in life all "satisfaction markers" :coffee:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby LucidFlight » Apr 23, 2019 1:09 pm

I built a small city in the desert, complete with balloons. I once recited Pi to over 600 decimal places. (I am not a savant.)

I would like to maybe go into space one day.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby aban57 » Apr 23, 2019 1:11 pm

This is my short-term goal.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Piper » Apr 23, 2019 1:18 pm

I hope to strike it middle class someday.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 23, 2019 1:32 pm

aufbahrung wrote:Avoiding smartphone culture is a big one for me. Can I manage another year without joining the brain-dead herd?

You accomplished not doing something?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Macdoc » Apr 23, 2019 2:07 pm

I hope to strike it middle class someday.

over rated :coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Ironclad » Apr 23, 2019 2:38 pm

Got my (teenage) dream job, got married on a desert island, have a baby coming.
Ambition: a 9-5 office chair; free weekends; get promoted up twice; die on a desert island.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#15  Postby laklak » Apr 23, 2019 8:20 pm

No great accomplishments, most of it was luck of the draw. As for life goals, 6 months a year cruising the Carribbean and 6 months on the "farm" in Swaziland. We'll get there. Soon, my precious, soon.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#16  Postby laklak » Apr 23, 2019 8:20 pm

dup
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#17  Postby don't get me started » Apr 23, 2019 11:17 pm

I seem to have arrived where I am now despite very low expectations being drummed into me from an early age.
Rather than give a list of accomplishments such as job, family, material success, qualifications and whatnot, I’ll refer to the psycho-social theory of Erik Erikson.

Erikson posited that we go through distinct phases in our psycho-social development. He is clear that our psychological development is intimately tied in with our sociality and social relations.

There are such stages as the adolescent stage where people try to work out who they are and who they can be. This leads to the various tribal identities often based around (in retrospect) such rather superficial criteria as music and fashion tastes and the like.

Next comes the relationship stage in early adulthood where people start to form more intimate and lasting relationships. Sitting next to someone at school was sufficient basis for friendship during childhood, and being into the same music was sufficient grounds for a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship during adolescence, but early adulthood requires more considered criteria for relationships. Also during this time, relationships with parents have to be redefined. I’m still your son, but I am no longer your child.

Next comes middle adulthood and a social role that involves mentoring and care for others. Juniors in the workplace, children of your own, perhaps taking a greater care role for aging parents. The focus has shifted from primarily self-directed in adolescence, to a binary focus of attention (self and other) in the relationship building stage, to a primarily other-based focus in middle age. It is what I can do for others that really consumes my energies and attention here. I guess I am at that stage now.

I look after my students at work, manage part-time and junior teachers, and do plenty of workshops and conference talks that seek to help others in their professional and intellectual development. I provide for my family in a material sense and also support and nurture my kids in all of the intangible ways.

So, my accomplishments? I have proceeded through all of the appropriate stages in psycho-social development in a more or less successful manner and I am exactly where I am supposed to be, according to the theory.

More on Erikson here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erikson%27s_stages_of_psychosocial_development
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Hermit » Apr 24, 2019 1:19 am

So far the peak of my accomplishments is to no longer insist that the plural of atlas is atlantes. My life goal is to listen to "The media/phenomena/data is..." without such expressions sticking in my craw. I know, I know, it's an ambitious one, but with a lot of determination, hard work and a bit of luck it may be achievable.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby laklak » Apr 24, 2019 4:35 am

I looked up that Erickson thingy and apparently I'm in the "wisdom" stage. I think I missed the Wisdom Fairy. Been waiting for that bitch for years, and I'm slipping into senility still knowing fuck all.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#20  Postby don't get me started » Apr 24, 2019 5:42 am

laklak wrote:I looked up that Erickson thingy and apparently I'm in the "wisdom" stage. I think I missed the Wisdom Fairy. Been waiting for that bitch for years, and I'm slipping into senility still knowing fuck all.

Nah mate, you have been dispensing wisdom here in regular doses for years. :thumbup:

Perhaps knowing that you know fuck all is wisdom. :dance:
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion