Having Babies. An Endless Right or an Abused Privelege?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Having Babies. An Endless Right or an Abused Privelege?

#121  Postby juju7 » Feb 05, 2019 9:53 am

felltoearth wrote:
90% of phosphates in the Great Lakes is from agriculture, which represents 20% of fresh water world wide and is the source if drinking water for many parts of North America.

https://www.watercanada.net/feature/eva ... phosphorus

OK, but this doesn't apply to the rest of the world.

Nevertheless good luck with getting your farmers to be more responsible.
juju7

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#122  Postby Alan B » Feb 11, 2019 11:52 am

BBC
Hungary tries for baby boom with tax breaks and loan forgiveness

Hungarian women with four children or more will be exempted for life from paying income tax, the prime minister has said, unveiling plans designed to boost the number of babies being born.
It was a way of defending Hungary's future without depending on immigration, Viktor Orban said.
The right-wing nationalist particularly opposes immigration by Muslims.
Hungary's population is falling by 32,000 a year, and women there have fewer children than the EU average.
As part of the measures, young couples will be offered interest-free loans of 10 million forint ($36,000), to be cancelled once they have three children.
Mr Orban said that "for the West", the answer to falling birth rates in Europe was immigration: "For every missing child there should be one coming in and then the numbers will be fine.

I see. Keep fucking to keep the Muslims out and fuck the rest of the world.

Why not wind-down the pollution producing industries to match the falling population and 'stop' immigration? :whistle:

Perhaps he's an AGW denier? :ask:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#123  Postby Macdoc » Feb 12, 2019 6:00 am

I'm not fond of being wrong ....really detest being abysmally wrong....

This is mind blowing

AUTHOR: MEGAN MOLTENIMEGAN MOLTENI
SCIENCE
02.04.1907:00 AM
THE WORLD MIGHT ACTUALLY RUN OUT OF PEOPLE

YOU KNOW THE story. Despite technologies, regulations, and policies to make humanity less of a strain on the earth, people just won’t stop reproducing. By 2050 there will be 9 billion carbon-burning, plastic-polluting, calorie-consuming people on the planet. By 2100, that number will balloon to 11 billion, pushing society into a Soylent Green scenario. Such dire population predictions aren’t the stuff of sci-fi; those numbers come from one of the most trusted world authorities, the United Nations.

But what if they’re wrong? Not like, off by a rounding error, but like totally, completely goofed?

That’s the conclusion Canadian journalist John Ibbitson and political scientist Darrell Bricker come to in their newest book, Empty Planet, due out February 5th.

more
https://www.wired.com/story/the-world-m ... =synd_digg

But what if they’re wrong? Not like, off by a rounding error, but like totally, completely goofed?

yup ....they did ....one of the most eye opening books in a while .....I thought Japan was an outlier...it's not. Very much worth a read.

‘Empty Planet’ Review: A Drop in Numbers
Governments stoke fears about overpopulation, but the reality is that fertility rates are falling faster than most experts can readily explain.
PHOTO: ARTUR WIDAK/NURPHOTO VIA GETTY IMAGES

Is a dangerous population explosion imminent? For decades we’ve been told so by scientific elites, starting with the Club of Rome reports in the 1970s. But in their compelling book “Empty Planet: The Shock of Global Population Decline,” Canadian social scientist Darrell Bricker and journalist John Ibbitson lay out the opposite case: “The great defining event of the twenty-first century,” they say, “will occur in three decades, give or take, when the global population starts to decline. Once that decline begins, it will never end.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/empty-plan ... 1549497631
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#124  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 12, 2019 9:11 am

Probably the Earth would be better without humans. We have made such a mess.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#125  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 12, 2019 9:25 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Probably the Earth would be better without humans. We have made such a mess.

Do you have any kids, Scot? I don't.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#126  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 12, 2019 9:31 am

Does not really bother me. My son died many moons ago. A bigger mess could not be made and with countries like the USA and China where is the hope. We are throwing everything to get the CO2 down and yet a cunt like Trump could not care. So why bother.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#127  Postby tuco » Feb 12, 2019 10:06 am

Its not mind blowing, its just different look:

But the more you pick away at it, like John Ibbitson and I did, and you talk to demographers, you find out that there's an awful lot of debate about what the future is going to look like.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/episode-4 ... -1.5009923

besides, I talked about China and low fertility in the developed world already. But yeah, who cares about that ..
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Having Babies. An Endless Right or an Abused Privilege?

#128  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 14, 2019 10:43 am

Here's one we're sure you'll REALLY like:

Shamima Begum, now 19, ran away to Syria from the UK at 15 to be a bride to an IS fighter she didn't know at the time, has lost two babies to malnutrition and disease in refugee camps and is nearly to term with a third child. She wants to come back to the UK where health care is, um, better. Reportedly, she just wants to settle down and "live quietly with her child".

And maybe have several more by the time she's 25, huh? Such a busy girl. Beats working as a clerk in Boots, ringing up shampoo at the register.

Aside from suspicions about having had terrorist or Islamist leanings, she also appears to be terminally stupid, except for seeing the wisdom of accessing better health care. And just in time for Brexit, too! Now there's a project for radical feminism.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47229181
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Feb 14, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#129  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 14, 2019 11:17 am

Still with no regrets. Well there will be a nice prison cell waiting for her.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#130  Postby Fallible » Feb 14, 2019 11:52 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Does not really bother me. My son died many moons ago. A bigger mess could not be made and with countries like the USA and China where is the hope. We are throwing everything to get the CO2 down and yet a cunt like Trump could not care. So why bother.

What about your daughter?
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#131  Postby Hermit » Feb 14, 2019 12:10 pm

Macdoc wrote:I'm not fond of being wrong ....really detest being abysmally wrong....

This is mind blowing

"The drivers of global fertility decline are here to stay."

Apparently, those drivers are "women’s empowerment: In virtually every country where gender equality improved in the last 50 years, fertility rates declined correspondingly." Nothing to do with the need for dual incomes, a focus on material comforts, the recognition of the unsustainably a logarithmically growing global population does to a planet that does not grow and above all easily available affordable and efficient contraceptives that free us from the yoke of involuntary procreation that we had no choice but to endure for our entire existence until recently.

[Reveal] Spoiler: NSFW

Yes, I am convinced. Mind duly blown.
God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#132  Postby laklak » Feb 15, 2019 2:17 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Probably the Earth would be better without humans. We have made such a mess.

I got two. Make me an offer.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#133  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 15, 2019 8:44 am

laklak wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

I got two. Make me an offer.

OK, if the meat is Halal, I'll take 2 kilos of beer-bellies and a 12-kg haunch of girl, fat trimmed. Consider your pricing scheme in relation to "the other white meat". Let's face it, we are talking "long pig", but since it ain't actually pig, we should be OK.

Don't offer me any cured meat. There is no cure.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#134  Postby CarlPierce » Feb 15, 2019 3:25 pm

Those with an eagerness to reproduce will create more kids with a greater desire to reproduce.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#135  Postby laklak » Feb 15, 2019 3:30 pm

Long Pork, it's the future!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#136  Postby Macdoc » Feb 15, 2019 9:28 pm

with a side of soylent
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#137  Postby archibald » Feb 16, 2019 8:42 am

Macdoc wrote:I'm not fond of being wrong ....really detest being abysmally wrong....

This is mind blowing

AUTHOR: MEGAN MOLTENIMEGAN MOLTENI
SCIENCE
02.04.1907:00 AM
THE WORLD MIGHT ACTUALLY RUN OUT OF PEOPLE

YOU KNOW THE story. Despite technologies, regulations, and policies to make humanity less of a strain on the earth, people just won’t stop reproducing. By 2050 there will be 9 billion carbon-burning, plastic-polluting, calorie-consuming people on the planet. By 2100, that number will balloon to 11 billion, pushing society into a Soylent Green scenario. Such dire population predictions aren’t the stuff of sci-fi; those numbers come from one of the most trusted world authorities, the United Nations.

That’s the conclusion Canadian journalist John Ibbitson and political scientist Darrell Bricker come to in their newest book, Empty Planet, due out February 5th.

more
https://www.wired.com/story/the-world-m ... =synd_digg

yup ....they did ....one of the most eye opening books in a while .....I thought Japan was an outlier...it's not. Very much worth a read.

Governments stoke fears about overpopulation, but the reality is that fertility rates are falling faster than most experts can readily explain.
PHOTO: ARTUR WIDAK/NURPHOTO VIA GETTY IMAGES

Is a dangerous population explosion imminent? For decades we’ve been told so by scientific elites, starting with the Club of Rome reports in the 1970s. But in their compelling book “Empty Planet: The Shock of Global Population Decline,” Canadian social scientist Darrell Bricker and journalist John Ibbitson lay out the opposite case: “The great defining event of the twenty-first century,” they say, “will occur in three decades, give or take, when the global population starts to decline. Once that decline begins, it will never end.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/empty-plan ... 1549497631

It's hard to know how to respond to that. Perhaps by saying that as far as I can see there's zero in it that isn't already well-known and understood. As for the review, it's always useful to start with a straw man and then keep going, until you get to a dubious conclusion.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#138  Postby Macdoc » Feb 16, 2019 12:18 pm

well - you respond when you've read the book. :roll:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#139  Postby archibald » Feb 16, 2019 1:41 pm

Macdoc wrote:well - you respond when you've read the book. :roll:

I don't see any good reason to either spend the time doing that or paying any money to do so.

Ditto for any or every book I might consider reading.

Apart from what I said already, about the first line of a posted review being a straw man and the last line a very dubious conclusion, even the title of the book is daft, ffs.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#140  Postby Macdoc » Feb 16, 2019 6:22 pm

But you waste time opining about something you've not read and want to appear sage ....I see....daft indeed. :coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion