Hitler Without A Mustache

Creepy

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

Re: Hitler Without A Mustache

#21  Postby Mazille » Jan 01, 2011 6:33 pm

NineOneFour wrote:I think Hitler consciously created a brand of himself with the hair and mustache

I could swear that I once saw a documentary where it was mentioned that he started wearing that 'stache (which wasn't all that common at the time, if not exactly unheard of) after he decided that he needed a characteristic that made him stand out visually. :think: Now where was that?
Fallible wrote:Oh no, I can't live without my bollocks.

Animavore wrote:I like dick too.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby NineOneFour » Jan 01, 2011 6:42 pm

Mazille wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:I think Hitler consciously created a brand of himself with the hair and mustache

I could swear that I once saw a documentary where it was mentioned that he started wearing that 'stache (which wasn't all that common at the time, if not exactly unheard of) after he decided that he needed a characteristic that made him stand out visually. :think: Now where was that?

I don't remember the reference, but there's no doubt Hitler was a master-marketer and political strategist.

He just sucked as a human being and as a war strategist.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#23  Postby johnbrandt » Jan 02, 2011 2:41 am

I think what still, all these years later, disturbs some people about Hitler is that he is so ordinary looking...he doesn't look like a monster, he looks like any other guy, maybe the bloke down the corner selling hardware. We see the same nowadays when they wheel out a serial killer or similar whacko...they always look "normal", like any other person instead of a monster from the pits of hell, and we hear this in the old cliche of "he was always a nice quiet guy", etc.

Of course, if the real mosters looked like mosters, things would be a lot easier.
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Thommo » Jan 02, 2011 3:00 am

virphen wrote:The effect is no different to seeing Tom Selleck without his.

What??!? Preposterous!

Tom Selleck without his moustache would be like a day without sunshine.
jamest wrote:Taken as a whole, I've talked quite a lot of bollocks.
Thommo

Print view this post

#25  Postby Mac_Guffin » Jan 02, 2011 3:06 am

Rome Existed wrote:That moustache would be pimp if Hitler didn't ruin it. Thanks Hitler, you arsehole!

Same with the swastika, the nordic look, elaborate marches, and a bunch of other cool shit.
I'm considering wearing a T-shirt with a swastika on it with the text, "I'm not a nazi. I'm just taking it back because swastikas are fucking cool."
... Because swastikas are fucking cool. :coffee:
I came into this world like a puzzled panther. Wanting to be caged, but something stood in the way. I was never quite tamed.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher Ockman
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Mac_Guffin » Jan 02, 2011 3:10 am

Speaking of people without mustaches, I always thought Nietzsche looked funny without one.

I came into this world like a puzzled panther. Wanting to be caged, but something stood in the way. I was never quite tamed.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby virphen » Jan 02, 2011 3:10 am

Thommo wrote:

What??!? Preposterous!

And where you are you should be fucking used to those!
virphen

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Thommo » Jan 02, 2011 3:16 am

virphen wrote:
Thommo wrote:

What??!? Preposterous!

And where you are you should be fucking used to those!

Oh yes, you lah-de-da southern hemisphere types may lord it up now, but I tell you what, come July, when Oxfordshire reaches 17c who'll be laughing? Eh?

On an unrelated and less hostile note, this thread makes me want to grow a moustache. Is that wrong?
Thommo

Print view this post

#29  Postby Thommo » Jan 02, 2011 3:18 am

Mac_Guffin wrote:
Rome Existed wrote:That moustache would be pimp if Hitler didn't ruin it. Thanks Hitler, you arsehole!

Same with the swastika, the nordic look, elaborate marches, and a bunch of other cool shit.
I'm considering wearing a T-shirt with a swastika on it with the text, "I'm not a nazi. I'm just taking it back because swastikas are fucking cool."
... Because swastikas are fucking cool. :coffee:

Good news on that front, the Nazi swastika is actually a mirror image of some forms of the original, which was I think a religious icon. One can certainly wear the original as part of a "take back the swastika" effort without endorsing the Nazis.
Thommo

Print view this post

#30  Postby johnbrandt » Jan 02, 2011 5:06 am

I've got a pristine 1930 edition of "Rudyard Kiplings Verse - Inclusive edition 1885 - 1926", beautifully printed on gossimer-thin pages by Hodder & Stoughton, London, which I picked up in a charity second hand shop for the princely sum of $5. I was so stunned to find such a book just sitting there that I gave the girl behind the counter $20 and said "keep the change"...:grin:

interestingly, there are swastikas on the cover and fly page, which is what caught my eye while scanning the shelves. You can tell it was before "the Nazi menace" by the way it's so plainly printed on the cover and spine for all to see. I would assume it's the Hindu symbol.

Different times...
Last edited by johnbrandt on Jan 02, 2011 5:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Mac_Guffin » Jan 02, 2011 5:07 am

I'd like to take the Roman salute back too.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby meldroc » Jan 02, 2011 5:24 am

I remember reading (I'd have to google it again) that the toothbrush moustache became fashionable among the working classes, especially in Germany, as a response to the super-fancy, elaborate handlebars and muttonchops worn by the upper-classes.

In other words, Hitler was catering to 1930's Germany's equivalent of teabaggers - conservative working-class populists.

I also vaguely remember a picture of Hitler, as a soldier during WWI, wearing a big bushy moustache, before he switched to the toothbrush.
meldroc

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Rome Existed » Jan 02, 2011 7:53 am

The US used to use the bellamy salute until the 1940s.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#34  Postby johnbrandt » Jan 02, 2011 12:48 pm

I remember a news item about that guy getting into trouble with the "Nazi salute garden gnomes". In our railway "hand signals guidebook", there is a signal that looks just like the Nazi salute...arm held stiffly up at an angle from the body.
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Varangian » Jan 02, 2011 12:52 pm

Thommo wrote:

What??!? Preposterous!

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby aliihsanasl » Jan 02, 2011 3:52 pm

johnbrandt wrote:I've got a pristine 1930 edition of "Rudyard Kiplings Verse - Inclusive edition 1885 - 1926", beautifully printed on gossimer-thin pages by Hodder & Stoughton, London, which I picked up in a charity second hand shop for the princely sum of $5. I was so stunned to find such a book just sitting there that I gave the girl behind the counter $20 and said "keep the change"...:grin:

interestingly, there are swastikas on the cover and fly page, which is what caught my eye while scanning the shelves. You can tell it was before "the Nazi menace" by the way it's so plainly printed on the cover and spine for all to see. I would assume it's the Hindu symbol.

Different times...

I have something interesting too. A world atlas from 1939. There is a race map inside it too :coffee:

"The end of the road that does not pass through science is darkness"

Hacı Bektaşı Veli

No fear is like the fear of those who sell their country.

Nazım Hikmet
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#37  Postby johnbrandt » Jan 03, 2011 1:03 am

A "race map" is probably understandable from days when countries pretty much kept to themselves, international migration was rare.
I remember books at school in the 1970's that listed what sort of people came from what area. Unless there's some sort of bullshit linked to it trying to say "these brown people in that country there are incapable of being educated, the dumb savages", then I would say it's perfectly acceptable and just telling the truth about how the world is laid out.
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Saim » Jan 06, 2011 1:11 pm

ali_ihsan21 wrote:
I have something interesting too. A world atlas from 1939. There is a race map inside it too :coffee:

Uh... that looks like a map of language families, not of races. It contains some erroneous information, like lumping Romance languages with Greek and Chinese with Korean and Japanese but other than that it's pretty accurate.

EDIT: Hm... this is getting curiouser and curiouser. Why is northern China marked as "Mongolian"? Chinese languages originated in North China, where there has never been to my knowledge a Mongolic-speaking majority. Why is Semitic-speaking northern Sudan "Hamitic" (which is no longer considered a language family, interestingly enough)? Why are Slavic speaking areas of Russia marked as Uralic - where these Uralic-majority areas in 1939?

Oops, it seems like you're right, Africa is marked as "Negro Zencileri", which Google Translate thinks means "negro niggaz" bu :ask: t I assume actually means "Black Negroes". But the rest of the map seems oddly consistent with linguistic groupings of humans.

SECOND EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fenno ... people.png this seems to be a historical distribution, and it's not as wide as your atlas's map's.
Saim

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#39  Postby ChasM » Jan 06, 2011 2:44 pm

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Looks like Ciarán Hinds.

My thoughts exactly. Spooky.
The most common of follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind. HL Mencken
ChasM

Name: "Bob"
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby devogue » Jan 06, 2011 2:53 pm

Looks like Sir Alex Ferguson, but less annoying.
It's PETUNIAS TIME again, folks!!!

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion