Home Improvement Discussion

Stuff around the house/flat/apartment/condo/etc.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Home Improvement Discussion

#321  Postby The_Piper » Dec 04, 2019 7:35 pm

The nerve!
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#322  Postby OlivierK » Dec 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Looks fantastic, by the way, fellto!
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#323  Postby laklak » Dec 04, 2019 8:40 pm

Pro level work there, looks great!
Attachments
Very Nice.jpg
Very Nice.jpg (30.67 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#324  Postby Ironclad » Dec 04, 2019 9:40 pm

Oooh nice. We'll be joining in with the fun in a few weeks as we have just had our offer accepted and the mortgage is now at the conveyance stage. So excited!
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#325  Postby The_Piper » Dec 04, 2019 10:36 pm

Congratulations!
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#326  Postby Ironclad » Dec 04, 2019 11:17 pm

Thanks Pipez. I've also applied to a TV show, the type where they do up the gardens. Should be a laugh

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#327  Postby Ironclad » Dec 05, 2019 11:50 am

Anyone installed electric underfloor heating? We're chewing it over, gas is around 1/3 the price of electricity so is a clear winner, but we've a small home. Trying to decide.. thoughts

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#328  Postby laklak » Dec 05, 2019 3:01 pm

Had electric underfloor in South Africa, it's a pleasant way to heat but quite expensive to run. I've heard of underfloor that uses pipes and a boiler.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#329  Postby Ironclad » Dec 05, 2019 6:38 pm

That'll be water, cheaper to run but technical to install.

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#330  Postby jamest » Dec 07, 2019 2:28 am

Moved into our new home late July and did a lot of work to the interior of the house. Didn't even get started in the garden but was hoping to find a cheap winter deal on a good quality summer house/studio. That has been a major disappointment as even with the deals it turns out that it would cost me in the region of 4 to 5K minimum (£) for something relatively small.
I was wondering how difficult it might be to build one myself? I'm reasonably handy but no expert. We already have a concrete base of about 11 foot 6 inches square from a previously demolished outbuilding, which I could extend, but that space seems reasonable to me for an extra room to chill in the garden.
I even wondered whether to just use that space to grow stuff in a greenhouse, but they're quite expensive too.

Just popped in hoping for a bit of advice. Cheers.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#331  Postby OlivierK » Dec 07, 2019 4:45 am

No idea about what your local regulations say about building stuff yourself, but it's not actually that hard, if you're willing to accept your lack of knowledge and ask for advice.

Having a concrete slab is a great start, as that a major expense avoided. I take it you're not interested in having any plumbing in a space that small, so it's really just a case of knocking up a timber frame, roofing it, and lining it inside and out. None of those things are hard, although there's some knowledge you'd need to acquire about how exactly to do that, and how to keep water out around windows and doors, which you definitely need to do thoroughly.

One thing to watch out for if you do go that route is to make sure doing it yourself is actually cheaper. Tradesmen can often get good discounts on materials from suppliers, as they're valuable repeat customers, so sometimes the savings aren't as high as you might expect. Another catch is if you end up buying new tools for the job, that can add a cost that tradesmen can spread over many jobs, although you end up with toys, so there's that.

Mostly, you just need to do each job with the next jobs in mind - wall frames need to be laid out with fixing points for the internal and external linings in mind. If you're running electrical wiring in the walls, you need to do that before doing the internal linings. It's not rocket science, but it requires mindfulness the first time around, and just becomes obvious on a second or third go-around.

Perhaps the biggest lesson I've learned, having built a few buildings myself now, is that it's always good value hiring plasterers, because even if you save money doing it yourself, plastering is shit work. Indescribably awful. I'll probably do it myself again some day, then kick myself for not hiring someone. I hate it with a passion. YMMV.

Not sure about the state of things in the UK, but a source of cost saving that can add character is to avoid the high cost of windows or doors by using recycled building materials from houses that have been demolished or remodelled. Sometimes that can end up being similarly expensive though (especially for things with real historic character), so always compare costs rather than assume.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#332  Postby felltoearth » Dec 07, 2019 2:00 pm

The_Piper wrote:That looks nice. Lots of wall space for maps, trinket shelves, things like that. Pictures of squirrels. Did you move the staircase over?

OlivierK wrote:No, he's naughtily taken the "after" pic from the opposite end of the space.

The_Piper wrote:The nerve!

:mrgreen:
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#333  Postby felltoearth » Dec 07, 2019 2:06 pm

OlivierK wrote:Looks fantastic, by the way, fellto!

laklak wrote:Pro level work there, looks great!

Thanks gents! And just in time for the appraiser, I’ll let you know how that works out.
Kitchen is next where we need a second bathroom and possibly the bathroom upstairs at the same time as working on the kitchen will expose the upstairs bathroom plumbing. The missus and I were also discussing building a workshop for me out back which I’m keen on.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#334  Postby felltoearth » Dec 07, 2019 2:15 pm

Ironclad wrote:Oooh nice. We'll be joining in with the fun in a few weeks as we have just had our offer accepted and the mortgage is now at the conveyance stage. So excited!

Ironclad wrote:Thanks Pipez. I've also applied to a TV show, the type where they do up the gardens. Should be a laugh

Ironclad wrote:Anyone installed electric underfloor heating? We're chewing it over, gas is around 1/3 the price of electricity so is a clear winner, but we've a small home. Trying to decide.. thoughts

Congrats, Ironclad! Really exciting. The upside to the garden shows is that they do indeed pay for everything. The downside is that sometimes what they build is more for theatrical effect and not built to last. So beware.
As for in floor heating, I recommend it, I had it at my last rental and it was fantastic, especially in the basement as it kept the damp out. Best thing to do would be to calculate out the upfront and operating cost of both. If you have a small, well insulated place it might be a wash.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#335  Postby felltoearth » Dec 07, 2019 2:20 pm

OlivierK wrote:
Perhaps the biggest lesson I've learned, having built a few buildings myself now, is that it's always good value hiring plasterers, because even if you save money doing it yourself, plastering is shit work. Indescribably awful. I'll probably do it myself again some day, then kick myself for not hiring someone. I hate it with a passion. YMMV.

This. It’s the worst job in the world. I wish we had had the dosh to have someone do all the mudding and taping, but we had enough for only two rooms. Not only is it better as it is shit work, they are so much faster at it than you. Nothing is worse than having to deal with week after week of plaster dust and mess in the house.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#336  Postby laklak » Dec 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Plastering is horrible, and it takes a while to get decent at it. Did the exterior stucco on our rental unit before we sold it, just on one portion of the building, it was never ending.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#337  Postby Ironclad » Dec 07, 2019 9:07 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Ironclad wrote:Oooh nice. We'll be joining in with the fun in a few weeks as we have just had our offer accepted and the mortgage is now at the conveyance stage. So excited!

Ironclad wrote:Thanks Pipez. I've also applied to a TV show, the type where they do up the gardens. Should be a laugh

Ironclad wrote:Anyone installed electric underfloor heating? We're chewing it over, gas is around 1/3 the price of electricity so is a clear winner, but we've a small home. Trying to decide.. thoughts

Congrats, Ironclad! Really exciting. The upside to the garden shows is that they do indeed pay for everything. The downside is that sometimes what they build is more for theatrical effect and not built to last. So beware.
As for in floor heating, I recommend it, I had it at my last rental and it was fantastic, especially in the basement as it kept the damp out. Best thing to do would be to calculate out the upfront and operating cost of both. If you have a small, well insulated place it might be a wash.
Thank you for that. What do you mean by "a wash"?

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#338  Postby felltoearth » Dec 07, 2019 9:57 pm

It’ll come out even.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#339  Postby The_Piper » Dec 29, 2019 5:18 pm

I found this when looking for contraptions like this for ideas about making my own. Not because I'm lazy, but when
I do my neighbor's I walk it with the snowblower, and it's like .4 miles round trip. It takes a while. Plus just to be funny. I have an extra snowblower that doesn't blow snow very well, maybe I can convert it into a "touring cart" :mrgreen:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#340  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 14, 2020 1:13 am

What do you think of this backsplash behind my cookstove? It's an old piece of galvanized steel roofing.
Attachments
A608D94C-1F4E-4CB3-81B7-0129BF4E413A.jpeg
Recycled metal backsplash
A608D94C-1F4E-4CB3-81B7-0129BF4E413A.jpeg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 946 times
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion