Home Improvement Discussion

Stuff around the house/flat/apartment/condo/etc.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Home Improvement Discussion

#381  Postby felltoearth » May 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Moved the rose bushes to a new bed then realized I don’t have a garden hose. I thought I had one as we did at the old place. Must have left it there. Thankfully we’re getting rain for the next day. I’ll still need to give them a good soak though.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#382  Postby The_Piper » May 18, 2020 5:50 pm

laklak wrote:Garden hose ends have their own thread size, called (drum roll) "hose thread". It's not compatible with any other thread size. There are adapters, you can usually find them in the PVC pipe section.
Cool, then ordering a 3/4" plumbing fitting should work then. :cheers:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#383  Postby The_Piper » May 18, 2020 5:51 pm

I started putting up a seedling greenhouse today because of little wind. The plastic is missing on one side and I'm taping some clear plastic on to replace it. Guess what happens halfway into the task. :lay:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#384  Postby The_Piper » May 18, 2020 5:53 pm

felltoearth wrote:Moved the rose bushes to a new bed then realized I don’t have a garden hose. I thought I had one as we did at the old place. Must have left it there. Thankfully we’re getting rain for the next day. I’ll still need to give them a good soak though.

Stop by, I have an extra one you can have. :dopey:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#385  Postby OlivierK » May 18, 2020 8:47 pm

The_Piper wrote:I started putting up a seedling greenhouse today because of little wind. The plastic is missing on one side and I'm taping some clear plastic on to replace it. Guess what happens halfway into the task. :lay:

Meh, you've got tape for a reason! :lol:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#386  Postby felltoearth » May 18, 2020 10:15 pm

The_Piper wrote:
felltoearth wrote:Moved the rose bushes to a new bed then realized I don’t have a garden hose. I thought I had one as we did at the old place. Must have left it there. Thankfully we’re getting rain for the next day. I’ll still need to give them a good soak though.

I don't think it will reach from your place.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#387  Postby The_Piper » May 18, 2020 10:48 pm

OlivierK wrote:
The_Piper wrote:I started putting up a seedling greenhouse today because of little wind. The plastic is missing on one side and I'm taping some clear plastic on to replace it. Guess what happens halfway into the task. :lay:

Meh, you've got tape for a reason! :lol:

It's hard to apply it when the plastic is flapping around in the wind! :lol: I used little clamps to hold it down against the wind.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#388  Postby The_Piper » May 18, 2020 10:49 pm

felltoearth wrote:
The_Piper wrote:

You can take it home with you. Hopefully the duty wouldn't be too high. :lol: :dopey:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#389  Postby felltoearth » May 18, 2020 11:37 pm

The_Piper wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
The_Piper wrote:

You can take it home with you. Hopefully the duty wouldn't be too high. :lol: :dopey:

:lol: It’s the exchange rate that’s the killer
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#390  Postby The_Piper » May 21, 2020 3:19 pm

Now I get to play with my septic system again and then dole out wads of cash for a sewer pump/repair. How much? All the wads of cash, I'm guessing. These aren't big wads. Also sump pump the dirty water from the pump tank onto the backyard, or have the whole septic tank drained again. Hopefully it will be good as new 22 years old!
When I get the parts that I ordered I also get to crouch under the house for a day or two and replace all the pipe fittings and make a brace to keep the pump from floating and messing up the pipe fittings again. They're all just pieced together, unsoldered. I bought shark bite push fittings for replacement.
It's going to be a while with my cutting tool. Image
I have saws but the cut needs to be clean, and these do a good job of that. If someone knows a better way, please speak up, I've never done this before. :)
Maybe I'll get a sump pump that turns on automatically to empty the crawl space when it floods, rather than put the well pump outside in it's own enclosure. Not sure how well that will work with the brook so close, pumping during a flood might be a fool's errand.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#391  Postby The_Piper » Jun 22, 2020 11:11 pm

My plumbing piping went well, until it came time to turn the water back on and wrap up. Then the pressure switch died. The next day, a plumber called to say he could come look at the sewer pump, so impeccable timing. The sewer pump was only a faulty float, and he replaced the pressure switch, and yada yada yada my water hasn't worked this good before. The pump is noisy though, it might be on it's last leg. Well I can use the money I saved on the sewer pump for the well pump if it goes before the next thing. :lol: :nono:

So there's this 89 Dodge Ramcharger that the wheel studs all sheared off of. How do I get that rotor off to replace the broken studs? Is it all one piece? It looks like it's connected all the way to the hub cover.
I tried online but an hour of searching and I didn't find info on one that looks like mine. I know the rotor long since seen it's day, but it's never going on a public road.
DSC09975.JPG
DSC09975.JPG (968.44 KiB) Viewed 426 times
DSC09976.JPG
DSC09976.JPG (786.01 KiB) Viewed 426 times
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#392  Postby Ironclad » Jul 16, 2020 7:10 pm

We’re going to make a feature wall in the kitchen using 1.5mm coloured plastic cladding. It’s the same stuff used in bathrooms and even hygienic areas like parts of hospitals. Would anyone in the know tell us if bare brick will still require dabbing and plaster board? Or more/less?
Thank you
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#393  Postby laklak » Jul 16, 2020 7:14 pm

Doesn't that stuff need a perfectly flat surface?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#394  Postby The_Piper » Jul 16, 2020 7:24 pm

I sold my plow truck with 3 wheels to a guy who owns a tow truck. It's a win-win.
Anyone have a good idea for projects with logs? I wonder if I use them as support posts in a shed they would shrink/etc and mess it up.
How about rocks? Football sized to golf ball sized random non-decorative rocks. I saw one thing where they made a fence with metal mesh and filled the hollow inside with rocks. I don't need a fence, but that's a good idea for fossils and decorative rocks.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#395  Postby laklak » Jul 16, 2020 7:42 pm

Those wire cages full of rocks are great for retaining walls.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#396  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 16, 2020 7:49 pm

When filled with rocks add forms to the outside and fill with a 6 sack mix of very thin/wet small aggregate concrete, followed by vibration treatment to work out any air. Bunker walls! Terrace walls. Nearly water proof if done right.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#397  Postby The_Piper » Jul 16, 2020 8:48 pm

It would be nice to put one in along the brook where it's eating away at my front yard. I'd need special permission from the state to do anything close to the brook like that.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#398  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 16, 2020 9:26 pm

How about adding a pile of rip-rap sharp edged interlocking rocks to slow erosion? Big ass rocks! One today. One in two weeks. Two in another two weeks. Three one at a time over another two weeks. Over the summer the creek could be held at bay and nobody would notice. No construction, just rocks. Jetty’s are made of piles of rocks. Don’t let the creek win!

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#399  Postby Ironclad » Jul 16, 2020 9:29 pm

laklak wrote:Doesn't that stuff need a perfectly flat surface?

I guess. We just don’t know whether to plaster board the wall to achieve this or make up some frame. I suppose it’s all the same in the end.

For log features, I’ve seen insect homes from the nooks and crannies in gardens. Thin logs though..
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#400  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 16, 2020 11:41 pm

theropod_V_2.0 wrote:How about adding a pile of rip-rap sharp edged interlocking rocks to slow erosion? Big ass rocks! One today. One in two weeks. Two in another two weeks. Three one at a time over another two weeks. Over the summer the creek could be held at bay and nobody would notice. No construction, just rocks. Jetty’s are made of piles of rocks. Don’t let the creek win!

RS

Just use local rock, so they are not out of geologic place.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion