Home Improvement Discussion

Stuff around the house/flat/apartment/condo/etc.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Home Improvement Discussion

#441  Postby felltoearth » Dec 08, 2020 11:08 am

QED

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#442  Postby The_Piper » Dec 08, 2020 6:45 pm

felltoearth wrote:QED

I googled QED and I'm still not sure what it means in this context. I was being non-serious with the picture, it was the cool looking snow that I really wanted to share. But you can see the shed in the context of it's surroundings. :)
Here is the nearly finished product. I just made doors that can be removed and set out of the way to go in it. I might do real doors but I wanted to get a couple "storage cubbies" built before winter as well. They are like little sheds that aren't tall enough to stand in. but I put rolled roofing on them. I built the cubbies completely out of scrap wood and pallets. For the shed like I said earlier it was all scrap wood and pallets except for some 2x4's to join them, and plywood for the roof. I used some scraps of metal and vinyl siding that I had, and as you can see, I also used some of my metal road sign collection as well. :lol:
DSC00555.JPG
DSC00555.JPG (859.29 KiB) Viewed 229 times

I put the poles in for support in winter. I don't think I did a very good job on the roof, though it is strong enough to hold my weight without the poles, and I used real shingles on the roof. No roofing cement. A contractor had put out a bunch of free shingles and tiles that had stains from storage, but were otherwise fine. I don't think the birds and squirrels will mind the stains. No one else will see it because of the slope I did.
DSC00557.JPG
DSC00557.JPG (670.16 KiB) Viewed 229 times
The black panels are covering up for the winter, but I will remove them in the summer and put screen in for light and air. I overhung the roof to help keep the sides dry.
DSC00558.JPG
DSC00558.JPG (672.5 KiB) Viewed 229 times
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#443  Postby felltoearth » Dec 08, 2020 9:11 pm

Your shed is demonstrating its shedding ability.

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#444  Postby The_Piper » Dec 08, 2020 9:31 pm

I'll give it a C+ mark at that job. In order to earn a B- or higher, it needs to have doors on hinges. :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#445  Postby OlivierK » Dec 08, 2020 9:39 pm

In all seriousness, why does it need those? :lol:

I'm just planning a small shed whose main purpose will be to park a ride-on mower in (so it will also get used to store garden gear generally on the walls, and hinged doors wide enough to get a mower in through are big enough to need to be built properly. I'm seriously considering alternatives to hinges. Unfortunately, our local secondhand building materials yard has shut down, so getting hold of an old junk-grade roller door is harder than it used to be, but I may yet get one from further afield. Otherwise I may end up going with a "door" much like your current one, and just leave it off unless we're expecting big rain.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#446  Postby The_Piper » Dec 08, 2020 9:58 pm

Yeah hinges aren't necessary, but look more suitable. :) But clearly I'm not out for looks with this shed. It can't be seen from the road. Iirc the doorway is four feet wide because I was planning on using it for bikes and lawnmower/snowblower. But I had thrown all my tools in it one day before rain and extra hardware that I used to build it with, and it's now a tool shed.

There's a washer and dryer in there too right now. I hope to soon take my bathroom apart to get the old washer and dryer out and replace them, but life keeps getting in the way of that. It's a pretty drawn out job to get the washer and dryer out, everything else is in the way. Shelves, shower stall, fridge in the kitchen, table. :whine:
I thought about cutting the fiberglass shower stall down to a smaller size but I'm not sure if fiberglass resin and cloth on the backside of it would be a strong enough bond or what?
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#447  Postby Hermit » Dec 09, 2020 2:24 am

My little garden shed has continued to serve well since a willie willie tore its door off more than ten years ago. I sat on the veranda as it happened. The willie willie entered the garden near the back left corner and left again near the front left. It only took a second or two to get from one to the other. The door got buckled in the process, and the hinges got bent before the rivets snapped, so I never bothered to put it back on.

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#448  Postby The_Piper » Dec 09, 2020 10:25 am

No porcupines to move in and stink up the place over there though. :lol: I like the shrubbery.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#449  Postby Hermit » Dec 09, 2020 1:19 pm

The_Piper wrote:No porcupines to move in and stink up the place over there though. :lol: I like the shrubbery.

Yes, the shrubbery definitely belongs in the class of home improvement. Even after I painted the shed it still looked like an ungainly storage room plonked down at some random spot in the garden. The more it is disguised the better.

This is what it looked like (before we painted it).

This particular set of home improvements cost me next to nothing. I snitched the climbers on either side of the doorway by way of cuttings from front fences in the neighbourhood. The bush, a golden diosma, set me back maybe four dollars. It was a tiny, potted thing when I got it. The trunk seen in the previous pic is of a cedar tree. I picked it up in form of a seed one day while walking back home from the local post office.

The cedar begins to blossom in September, just as the foliage begins to appear. Honeybirds get stuck into the nectar. The air fills with a sweet fragrance for a couple of weeks. It is not overpowering. Then it drops its seeds that were last year's blossoms, currently 30 kilograms per tree. The foliage does not fill out until December, but then it provides very much welcomed shade.

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#450  Postby The_Piper » Dec 11, 2020 5:16 pm

It looks a lot bigger without the foliage. I love vines, but up here it's not a great idea to have them covering wood because of the number of humid days. We've been in a cloud for several days now. Yesterday featured a few brief glimpses of blue sky but they didn't align with the sun. :lol: It was clear last night, finally. I was all set to check out the aurora but it fizzled out and wasn't visible from Maine. :whine: <----rant included
I think I'll put some on my shed or storage cubbies, where it won't be disaster if they rot the wood eventually.
My property has 15 or so apple trees, but only one that is good for table apples, and apparently my squirrel buddies keep getting them before they ripen. They know a good apple when they taste one. :lol: :heart:
So I bought 2 apple saplings for $35 each. Moose or deer have been munching on the branches, they're skinnier now than when I bought them. I transplanted a bunch of trees over the years, and the evergreens do well. Only a couple have been snatched by a beaver. Usually they don't go after evergreens, thankfully.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#451  Postby Ironclad » Feb 18, 2021 8:07 pm

I laid my first carpet, a stair carpet too. It’s a thing of beauty, a masterpiece. A piece of something anyway. :)
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Discussion