Home Improvement Discussion

Stuff around the house/flat/apartment/condo/etc.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Home Improvement Discussion

#81  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Mar 25, 2016 11:40 pm

Wow. Nothing accentuates being in a hurry and not checking for level tile like laying a nice, flat baseboard on top. :lol:

Should I close that gap with grout? Or can I use caulk like I'm going to fill in other cracks with and then paint over it?
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby laklak » Mar 25, 2016 11:42 pm

I've got a single bevel compound, a little harder to use on something like crown molding. Which I need to do in the bedrooms.

Caulk has a tendency to shrink over time, but it's probably the easiest.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#83  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Mar 25, 2016 11:53 pm

laklak wrote:
Caulk has a tendency to shrink over time, but it's probably the easiest.

I'm liking the easiest part. :grin:
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 26, 2016 12:16 am

Try a smaller trim over the base, like some 1/4 rd that will conform better to the tiles. You might not like the look of caulking along the tile, pretty hard to make it 'vanish'. Plus, if the base is light coloured and you stain/paint the 1/4 rd or bullnose dark/black, the shadow line will disappear.

Just ideas.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 26, 2016 1:45 am

Bah, lost my post. :doh: This is a floating floor I installed. Costs AUS $34 a box [10 pieces X 1.8m X 1m]. Plus a few rolls of insulation at $64/roll. Put everywhere except in wet rooms. Three days work.

I already had most of the tools. Circular and fret power saws.
Looked great until a tenant wreaked it. Bad tenant, worse property manager, and evil insurance company, who gave me $699 to fix repairs worth about $4000 alone, not including labour. Plus I lost a heap of rent owing to me.
Attachments
Floatingfloor.JPG
Floatingfloor.JPG (398.53 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#86  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 26, 2016 3:29 am

What did they do to it.

Some of those 'click floors', we call them here, can be quite good, but you do have to pay something to get good product. The bottom of the line, here about $1.00 a sq.ft. is garbage, but once you get up to $2-3 you are getting some very nice stuff. I've seen the better stuff take some serious abuse and keep on ticking.

I don't like using saws to cut them however, the dust is seriously nasty for you. You can purchase shears for them for <$100. The occasional jigsaw/tablesaw cut I can handle outside with a mask.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 26, 2016 6:50 am

Onyx8 wrote:What did they do to it.

Some of those 'click floors', we call them here, can be quite good, but you do have to pay something to get good product. The bottom of the line, here about $1.00 a sq.ft. is garbage, but once you get up to $2-3 you are getting some very nice stuff. I've seen the better stuff take some serious abuse and keep on ticking.

I don't like using saws to cut them however, the dust is seriously nasty for you. You can purchase shears for them for <$100. The occasional jigsaw/tablesaw cut I can handle outside with a mask.

Well, in six months the tenants paid about 3 months rent. [The property manager did not even deem it important to inform me of the arrears, and it was almost a month before I got a first statement where I found out that they were already
The new floor. Scratches everywhere, often deep. item like heavy fridges must have been dragged carelessly by their corners. As you can see the floor is joined well. But they were actually able to dislodge some boards.
Windows and doors left open after they left. Damage to locks, security doors, fly screens.
Tap-ware etc damaged and missing. {was new]
Completely professionally painted inside. A with the floor, scratches, holes, dirt on every painted surface, except [mostly] the ceilings. required a complete re-paint.
Everything that could move was either gone or a write-off, including mats, the door bell, globes, etc, etc.
The gardens and garage , which were clean and tidy, were full of rubbish, requiring several trips to the garbage tip in my ute.
Ingrained feces and urine stains, a brand-new cooker when open caused gagging. It was filthy. The tenant didn't pay for water, gas or electricity usage [the connect fees are landlord costs].
That is the main stuff. There mere cleaning and garbage removal alone took most of a week. [But I did take it easy because it was hot then].
The insurance company deemed it careless damage [not malicious damage] and only gave me $699 to fix it. This paid for one new security door and the paint and a tank of fuel.
Spending a lot of time in junk yards and tips, finding cheap replacement materials, plus lots of hard [unpaid] labour, of course.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby Briton » Mar 26, 2016 2:06 pm

I used to be a dab hand at carpet fitting...then they brought in the wall to wall stuff.

I quite like Laminate flooring (floating, click), I've got it in a couple of places. Much better when you are also replacing the skirting boards though. Having to put trim right around can be a pain when you've got a few returns.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 26, 2016 3:08 pm

Yeah, DBD, renters can be shit. It can be very hard here to get rid of them too.

One of my major customers at present is spending a good deal of money on her rental places so that she can attract a better class of renter. They do less damage.

Briton, you're pretty good at putting a throw rug on the floor? :grin:
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#90  Postby laklak » Mar 26, 2016 3:19 pm

It's not too hard to get rid of them down here, you just have to have a well written lease. 3 days notice and the sheriff will turf them out.

We're doing the same thing, though, upgrading the properties to appeal to a less destructive demographic. I think we'll have to sell the one up in Bradenton, we're at the top of the rent rates there and couldn't pull any more even with upgrades. Income properties are selling like hotcakes and we should turn a tidy profit, problem is finding something else to buy. Just not a lot of them on the market. We're thinking of maybe branching out into single family homes, flip them rather than rent. There are still a few repossessions on the market that need significant work, you can turn a decent profit is you can do the work yourself.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#91  Postby OlivierK » Mar 26, 2016 3:37 pm

We were handed a nice solution tot he tenant problem for our second place when one of the applicants turned out to work in the same hospital as my wife, in a much more junior position. Wrecking the joint = career death. :lol:

DBD, you're in Queensland, aren't you? My parents bought a rental property in Queensland many decades ago. It was a duplex, and the tenants in the two halves started feuding and smashing each other's windows (both actually our windows). I recommend against renting to Queenslanders.
:hide:
Last edited by OlivierK on Mar 26, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 26, 2016 3:37 pm

:lol:
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 27, 2016 12:11 am

OlivierK wrote:We were handed a nice solution tot he tenant problem for our second place when one of the applicants turned out to work in the same hospital as my wife, in a much more junior position. Wrecking the joint = career death. :lol:

DBD, you're in Queensland, aren't you? My parents bought a rental property in Queensland many decades ago. It was a duplex, and the tenants in the two halves started feuding and smashing each other's windows (both actually our windows). I recommend against renting to Queenslanders.

Nah mate, I am in Worst Australia. Barnett land. Not Brisvagus. :grin: Down in Perth.
I would like to swap my cheapie house for one that attracts a higher rental, but can't afford it. The cheapie is in Northam, which now has capital growth of minus 12.9% this year! [I am a genius at property investments! :dopey: ] :doh:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#94  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 27, 2016 12:23 am

I busted my right paw/arm recently, and so for certain movements, it just don't develop any power. The Vet don't know what is wrong. It is slowly getting better. Goldenmane is going up with me to help fit a new door [solid core] on the weekend.
The other problem is the bathroom. The vanity was wreaked, so I got a new flatpack and sink. Assembled it, but when I pulled the old one out, some tiles came with it. So I have to chisel all the tiles of the floor, and somehow level it. Looks like the surface of the moon, and the concrete curves up at the sides. Only done a tiny bit of tiling before, and that was round the fireplace.
As well as being a master at debunking woo, GM is quite skilled at making shit, so I am glad he will be around to help. :thumbup:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#95  Postby OlivierK » Mar 27, 2016 3:21 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:
OlivierK wrote:We were handed a nice solution tot he tenant problem for our second place when one of the applicants turned out to work in the same hospital as my wife, in a much more junior position. Wrecking the joint = career death. :lol:

Nah mate, I am in Worst Australia. Barnett land. Not Brisvagus. :grin: Down in Perth.
I would like to swap my cheapie house for one that attracts a higher rental, but can't afford it. The cheapie is in Northam, which now has capital growth of minus 12.9% this year! [I am a genius at property investments! :dopey: ] :doh:

I still stand by my advice of not renting to Queenslanders :grin:

I've only had brief experience of Northam. Many years ago while on a combined uni musical festival we were rehearsing at the Ag College in Cunderdin. After we'd run Cunderdin's bottle shops dry of several things, we moved on to do the same in Northam. Don't know if Northam's any better, but Cunderdin was sure a shithole back then (about 25 years ago).

Tiling's fine if you're not too worried about it looking too flash, such as under a laundry tub, although you want to make sure you're not creating places for water to pool up. It's actually quite easy to get tiling looking pretty good, but full-time tilers still manage to take it to the next level. The trick is not to tile anything in the same room as professionally tiled stuff.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 27, 2016 8:40 am

Cunderdin is actually "hot" ATM, property-wise. Seems to be less depressed than many other country towns. The Ag college helps. Northam is not too badly off. Parts of it are quite nice, and other bits not so good. There is the detention center there, run by Serco or some other asshole company for the Fascist Australian Government. Maybe they make Soylent Green biscuits out of the refugees or summat. So there is some employment.
I didn't ignore your comment about Queenslanders. But the ones I met through the AFA are not too bad. :grin:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#97  Postby Briton » Mar 27, 2016 9:08 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:... I have to chisel all the tiles of the floor, and somehow level it. Looks like the surface of the moon, and the concrete curves up at the sides.

Have you used levelling compound? You mix it up and pour and it finds it's own level.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 27, 2016 9:56 am

Briton wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:... I have to chisel all the tiles of the floor, and somehow level it. Looks like the surface of the moon, and the concrete curves up at the sides.

Have you used levelling compound? You mix it up and pour and it finds it's own level.

Yep, that's the plan! :thumbup:

[Unless someone can come up with a better one].
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#99  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Apr 26, 2016 2:36 pm

A broken pipe has presented me with several new improvement opportunities. At least, that's the optimistic way to think about it.

The disaster cleanup people did a shit job getting the asbestos glue up over the rest of the floor. The tiles I laid earlier came out of this just fine, but the rest of the floors had to come up, revealing the thoughtlessness of the 60s and costing me double the cleanup price. I just don't have the money to redo those floors right now. So I'm going to cheat by burying the remaining asbestos under a thin layer of mortar and hoping that the mortar holds up under light traffic while my finances recover. Then I'll lay tiles on top of it all and the basement floors will be all done- and much more flood-proof than the linoleum bullshit that was there before.

The disaster cleanup people offer restoration as well, but they've done a shit enough job cleaning up that I'm just going to ask them to patch the holes they made in the drywall and then I'll paint everything and put in a new vanity and re-seat the toilet myself. It'll look better if all the floorboards match, anyway. And they've given me every reason to expect that I'll get better quality work if I do it myself.
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#100  Postby laklak » Apr 26, 2016 3:06 pm

Did your homeowner's insurance cover the water damage?
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion