How corporate 'slave-driving' is destroying workers' health.

Work longer, sleep less, suffer more.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

How corporate 'slave-driving' is destroying workers' health.

#1  Postby Mike_L » Jan 27, 2015 8:16 am

A long article from which I've extracted just a small portion. Some troubling insights into how the demands of today's world are adversely affecting "sleep health" and, subsequently, overall health and life expectancy...

Our Sleep Problem and What to Do About It

BY BETSY ISAACSON / JANUARY 22, 2015

Sleep is perceived to be the enemy of efficiency: inescapable wasted blocks of time that can’t be converted into anything of broader use to society.

Entrepreneurs and capitalists have known this forever, of course. The growth in popularity of coffee and tea during the Industrial Revolution was, as Tom Standage argues in The History of the World in Six Drinks, tied to the working hours and conditions brought on by that revolution. In the early days of factories, owners, Standage argues, saw what the long hours were doing to their employees’ sleep. But instead of offering more time in bed, they’d give them free tea and reap the reward: "Tea kept workers alert on long and tedious shifts and improved their concentration when operating fast moving machines,” he writes. “Factory workers had to function like parts in a well-oiled machine and tea was the lubricant that kept the factories running smoothly.”

It’s worse today. Even those of us who would never check our email at midnight now live in a world where being on call 24 hours a day is commonplace. In 1992, Juliet Schor, author of The Overworked American, made headlines by revealing that U.S. citizens worked, on average, a month more in 1990 they did in 1970. Since then, the numbers have gotten worse. From 1990 to 2001, Americans added another full week to their working year: That was 137 hours longer than the Japanese, 260 hours longer than the British and 446 hours longer than the Germans, according to a report put out by the United Nations’ International Labor Organization. Fast-forward to today: The Bureau of Labor Statistics says Americans are working longer hours than at any time since statistics have been kept.

It also bears noting that nearly 7 million Americans are currently stringing together part-time jobs: That’s 3 million more than in 2007, when the Great Recession began. These people are likely to have erratic and often inconvenient work schedules; not exactly a recipe for getting proper R&R. Shift workers, in particular, have it tough: In December 2014, the Health Survey for England found that in the U.K., those who worked outside the 12 hours between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. were substantially “sicker and fatter” than those who worked daytime hours. A 2014 study published in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine found that shift work substantially increased the risk of dementia.

Again, millennials seem the most vulnerable: 40 percent of young people work part-time, contract, temp or onetime jobs, with more than half living paycheck to paycheck, according to the 2014 Millennial Study conducted by Harris Poll on behalf of Wells Fargo. The Health Survey for England found that 16- to 24-year-olds were the demographic most likely to be stuck doing shift work.

Today’s youth are also at tremendous risk for long-term, sleep-related health impacts. Sleep-related disorders are on the rise, creeping upward among older workers and becoming staggeringly common in young adults. We've long known that sleep is crucial to good health: Bodies subjected to sleep deprivation undergo an ugly metamorphosis until they are in many ways fundamentally different from their sufficiently-slept counterparts. A study published recently in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) showed that chronic sleep deprivation caused “shifts” in the expression levels of more than 700 genes. “Many of these [genes] are related to inflammation and immune and stress response, and overlap with the program of gene expression that is generally associated with high stress levels,” explains Malcolm von Schantz, a researcher at the University of Surrey who helped conduct the PNAS study.

Sleep loss has tremendous cognitive consequences: Dozens of studies have connected lack of sleep to deficits ranging from poor insight formation to diminished working memory. Chronic sleep deprivation is also associated with increased mortality and especially obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and impaired cognitive function, says von Schantz.

Full article at:
http://www.newsweek.com/2015/01/30/our-sleep-problem-and-what-do-about-it-301165.html
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

Re: How corporate 'slave-driving' is destroying workers' health.

#2  Postby NuclMan » Jan 27, 2015 6:56 pm

Good article, bad thread title. I'm a shift worker and I'm becoming increasingly intolerant of it. I can't sleep during the day without some kind of supplement.

Not all shift work is a result of corporate production pressure. In fact, a lot of civil service runs 24/7 and the workers get fair compensation for it.
NuclMan

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Mike_L » Jan 28, 2015 6:56 am

NuclMan wrote:Good article, bad thread title. I'm a shift worker...

In Canada, I presume? The article is focused on the state of affairs in the US... and is not exclusively about shift workers.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby NuclMan » Jan 28, 2015 12:05 pm

Mike_L wrote:

In Canada, I presume? The article is focused on the state of affairs in the US... and is not exclusively about shift workers.

Yes Canadian. The main points in the article seem to be sleep deprivation from shift work upsetting the circadian rhythm. Also, one of the 2 studies cited was an English health survey.
NuclMan

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Mike_L » Jan 28, 2015 3:50 pm

NuclMan wrote:
Mike_L wrote:

Yes Canadian. The main points in the article seem to be sleep deprivation from shift work upsetting the circadian rhythm. Also, one of the 2 studies cited was an English health survey.

Yes, indeed. The article says, "Shift workers, in particular, have it tough..."... but the ill-effects, while most pronounced in this subgroup, are not limited to it alone. Any chronic sleep deficit, whether or not it involves shift work, will have adverse effects on health...
Sleep loss has tremendous cognitive consequences: Dozens of studies have connected lack of sleep to deficits ranging from poor insight formation to diminished working memory. Chronic sleep deprivation is also associated with increased mortality and especially obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and impaired cognitive function, says von Schantz.

I did night shift work (at SA's 1 Military Hospital) back in the early 1990s. I only had to endure it for three months, but it was the toughest quarter year I can remember. Shift workers have my sympathy and respect. :nod:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby johnbrandt » Jan 28, 2015 11:10 pm

Shift working...it's a curse. Apparently...through some dodgy wording...I am apparently not "a shift worker"...something to do with not starting at the same time every day on a regular basis.

For instance, the current roster I am under has the following work pattern for the next period between days off:
* Wed: 21:10
* Thu: 21:30
* Fri: "Ex" day (also known as a "pajama day" in between change from night to day work)
* Sat: 3:30
* Sun: 4:50
* Mon: 6:00

Try getting a decent sleep pattern in doing that sort of thing for a while. The shifts are never at the same times each day, and change from night work to morning or afternoon work. 11 hour shifts.

It's tiring...very tiring. The current roster is, to be blunt, shit. Workers who have done the job for decades say they've never felt more tired.

I kind of remember being told in school in the seventies that the bright shining future we were headed for would be one of probably five or six hour working days, maybe four days a week because of automation, with plenty of time for relaxation and enjoyment of the benefits of the modern 21st century world we would be living in... :coffee:
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jan 28, 2015 11:15 pm

Never, ever, have a baby.
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#8  Postby jamest » Jan 29, 2015 1:22 am

Shift work is counterproductive to that too, as you're usually in bed by yourself.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Stumped » Jan 30, 2015 11:06 pm

Unfortunately 'the needs of the business' now trump most other considerations when it comes to employees.
Stumped

Print view this post

#10  Postby proudfootz » Feb 01, 2015 1:13 pm

Where I work they seem to have a policy of juggling your schedule week to week so that you don't know how many hours you'll get of whether they will be morning, noon, or night.

I suspect they want to keep us on our toes are eager to do whatever they ask on an 'as needed' basis.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Stumped » Feb 02, 2015 5:42 pm

I was reading an article in Scientific America about how various organs and suchlike have their own internal clocks which are messed by things are simple as getting up different times during the week for work or lying in at the weekend. Then again business needs are more important that staff health.
Stumped

Print view this post

#12  Postby johnbrandt » Feb 02, 2015 11:58 pm

Stumped wrote:I was reading an article in Scientific America about how various organs and suchlike have their own internal clocks which are messed by things are simple as getting up different times during the week for work or lying in at the weekend. Then again business needs are more important that staff health.

One of the biggest problems with my job is eating. Look at the hours I gave as an example and try and work out when you should eat so you're not trying to sleep straight after a big meal or when to have your "dinner" at odd hours of the day or night. It can affect your digestion let me tell you.
We have classes every couple of years by dietary experts giving advice on how to eat and when to eat...personally I feel bloated and "bleh" if I wake up at, say, 8pm after being asleep (hopefully) since midday and go to work at 9 or 10pm, then try and have a "normal" meal at 2 or 3am. My digestion just seems to say "Hey...at this time of the day your circadian clock says you're supposed to be asleep...what's all this food doing getting dumped in here?"

As they say...the railways is a lifestyle more than a job...
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 03, 2015 5:56 am

It's not a massive surprise that the countries that do the best economically tend to be the ones that also have the best worker's rights. It's not just about people being fresh to do the job they've signed up for, it's about giving people enough free time to innovate and be creative, or improve other skills. In fact, some of the most successful American companies like Google even set aside part of the work week for their workers to work on their own pet projects.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Return to General Discussion