How do you heat where you live?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How do you heat where you live?

#61  Postby LucidFlight » Nov 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Here in the tropics, our apartment can be heated by turning off the air conditioning. Opening the windows can bring the ambient air temperature up to around 26 degrees Celsius within 15 minutes.

In the UK, it is quite normal to use what is commonly referred to as a radiator. My understanding is that they are supplied with hot water in pipes that come from a boiler which uses either gas or electricity. If you place a comfy chair in proximity to one of these radiators, it is possible to keep one's feet warm by positioning them near and towards the radiator. I recommend using an ottoman or pouffe to elevate the feet to the desired position for heating.

Please note that, on occasion, cats will like to perch themselves on your legs, making it quite difficult to move or change position.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Charley
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 23, 2018 3:14 pm

I always think many forget one factor in heating and that is humidity. I cant stand dry air and it does not matter whether it is cold or warm. Also dry air is not good for house interiors. Normal central heating with radiators dries the air. I have a humidifiers running the whole time. This apartment often drops to 20%. I find anything above 30% comfortable.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#63  Postby surreptitious57 » Nov 23, 2018 5:14 pm

I never knew anything below I0 C was hypothermia inducing because by that criteria I should be dead by now
Not everyone has the same degree of resistance to cold and so what is cold for someone else is not so for me

This winter is very warm indeed on average and absolutely nothing like the one of 20I3
It was the worst one in living memory and one of the worst ever and was seriously cold

The ones since then have been quite mild in comparison and hopefully will continue as so
Last month we had days that were very dry and sunny and more like summer than winter

Right now it feels about 8 C and I am not cold at all except in my right foot very slightly
Putting the heat on now would be rather superfluous to requirement so I choose not to

I was always told by my mother that I should never sit right up close to the fire after I came in from the cold
I just take it to its logical conclusion and avoid putting it on at all especially in these relatively mild winters

I have a slightly high metabolism / blood pressure so that may be why I do not feel the cold as much as others

I walk everywhere so that may also be why I have a greater resistance to cold as I can only generate heat by body
Whereas car drivers can simply turn the heating on so do not have to generate their own like pedestrians have to
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#64  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Remember a cold house is a damp one.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Fallible » Nov 23, 2018 7:34 pm

As I said, surr, bollox.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#66  Postby BlackBart » Nov 23, 2018 7:51 pm

The winter of 2013 was nothing like the worst winter in living memory.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#67  Postby newolder » Nov 23, 2018 8:06 pm

I wasn't around in 1947 but I do remember 1963 as the longest, coldest and snowiest winter of my lifetime so far.
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Tero » Nov 23, 2018 8:26 pm

Heat pump. There is a gas fireplace in the downstairs TV room. We can turn the thermostat down if we are not upstairs much. The entire subdivision is the same. No more chimneys in houses.
humor http://karireport.blogspot.com/
serious http://esapolitics.blogspot.com/

How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#69  Postby scott1328 » Nov 23, 2018 8:39 pm

Fallible wrote:As I said, surr, bollox.

I think Surr just needs to have a thermometer in his house or learn how to read one.

And read this: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hypothermia/

Hypothermia is not a matter of psychological will power or conditioning.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#70  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 24, 2018 2:13 am

surreptitious57 wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Makes absolutely no difference whatever the circumstances are

I do not do heating because I have psychological resistance to the cold
Today it is about 6 Celsius here which is too warm for heat but everyone has different tolerances
I know women feel the cold more than men but as I am not married that is not a problem for me

Bullshit, I say.

I note how you’re ambiguous about where exactly “here” is that has a temperature of 6C.

I’ll bet it’s 6C outside, and your apartment shares a wall or two with other apartments which are heated normally.

As far as heat loss goes, you are simply another walking sack of wet meat. Your psychology confers no protection from heat loss. Go dig up the pioneering work in human cold toleration done at Dachau. We know to a high degree of accuracy how much heat a body can lose and survive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Fallible » Nov 24, 2018 10:12 am

As far as I recall surr is from Birmingham. 6 was the daytime temperature yesterday. It went down to just above freezing the night before. As Scott's link shows, the recommendation is to keep the temperature indoors to AT LEAST 18 degrees.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 24, 2018 10:20 am

newolder wrote:I wasn't around in 1947 but I do remember 1963 as the longest, coldest and snowiest winter of my lifetime so far.

I remember that very well as well. I was delivering papers on my paper round. It was a very British thing; morning papers. Bloody cold carrying a bag that would be banned today by health & safety. We did not have that much snow in Edinburgh but icy streets. Salt was not applied like it is today and Edinburgh is far from flat. I really earned my money that winter.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 24, 2018 10:23 am

Fallible wrote:As far as I recall surr is from Birmingham. 6 was the daytime temperature yesterday. It went down to just above freezing the night before. As Scott's link shows, the recommendation is to keep the temperature indoors to AT LEAST 18 degrees.

Never mind water pipes.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#74  Postby aliihsanasl » Dec 03, 2018 1:20 pm

I didn't turn on central heating yet this year.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 06, 2018 5:19 pm

When it gets uncomfortably cold despite thermal hat and undergarments I heat the one room I'm based in at the time with a portable electric convection heater. The rest of the house stays cold. This keeps my body nice and warm where I am based, produces a lovely warm glow RE AGW and saves me £££
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 06, 2018 6:26 pm

LucidFlight wrote:Here in the tropics, our apartment can be heated by turning off the air conditioning. Opening the windows can bring the ambient air temperature up to around 26 degrees Celsius within 15 minutes.

In the UK, it is quite normal to use what is commonly referred to as a radiator. My understanding is that they are supplied with hot water in pipes that come from a boiler which uses either gas or electricity. If you place a comfy chair in proximity to one of these radiators, it is possible to keep one's feet warm by positioning them near and towards the radiator. I recommend using an ottoman or pouffe to elevate the feet to the desired position for heating.

Please note that, on occasion, cats will like to perch themselves on your legs, making it quite difficult to move or change position.

:rofl:
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#77  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 09, 2018 9:35 pm

Keep It Real wrote:When it gets uncomfortably cold despite thermal hat and undergarments I heat the one room I'm based in at the time with a portable electric convection heater. The rest of the house stays cold. This keeps my body nice and warm where I am based, produces a lovely warm glow RE AGW and saves me £££

For every kilowatt of electrical power your portable heater consumes, it will produce only one kilowatt of heat. This is not a source of pride.

A ductless heat pump gives you roughly 4 kilowatts of heat for a kilowatt of power used. You don’t want to make heat, you want to move heat.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 09, 2018 9:46 pm

A ductless whaty what what? I clearly have some research to do...

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#79  Postby laklak » Dec 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Heat pump, basically a reverse air conditioner. Extracts heat from outside air and "transfers" it indoors. Get a combo A/C heat pump, warms in the winter and cools in the summer.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 09, 2018 10:30 pm

Does that involve massacring a large hole in the building? And also I don't understand because there's no heat outside :duck:

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion