How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#21  Postby campermon » Mar 22, 2020 7:31 am

tuco wrote:Sex over the internet is a thing, I was told.

Don't try it!!!

Ruined my router.

:oops:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Hermit » Mar 22, 2020 7:47 am

campermon wrote:

Don't try it!!!

Ruined my router.

You rooted your router?

That's not how it's done!

Possibly too late for you now, but the Wikipedia has a useful guide on Cybersex.

Edit: Don't bother reading the article. If you need instructions you're probably better off staying clear of it altogether.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#23  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 22, 2020 8:45 am

Hermit wrote:
campermon wrote:

Don't try it!!!

Ruined my router.

You rooted your router?

That's not how it's done!

Possibly too late for you now, but the Wikipedia has a useful guide on Cybersex.

Edit: Don't bother reading the article. If you need instructions you're probably better off staying clear of it altogether.

The main advantage of cybersex over phone sex is that (up to a point) it is necessarily a little quieter than phone sex.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Germaine D. Scutcheon
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#24  Postby tuco » Mar 22, 2020 9:09 am

I did not want to be mean or rude just was not sure people are aware when talking about how their kids cannot "make up".
tuco

Print view this post

#25  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 22, 2020 9:18 am

tuco wrote:I did not want to be mean or rude just was not sure people are aware when talking about how their kids cannot "make up".

Even phone sex is over the internet if your phone service is VOIP or similar. Phone sex may become better the more distant the phone connection is. Maybe not. Social distancing!

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#26  Postby jamest » Mar 23, 2020 4:06 am

I am quite worried about the social aspects of this upon kids. Being more-or-less forced to stay in more-or-less your bedroom for potentially a year? That ain't gonna be good for anyone, especially kids.

We already 'force' them to go out on a Sunday (until martial law imposes otherwise). Today for example, we went for a nice country walk, several miles. Nowhere busy, of course. Thankfully, we have a trampoline in the garden and 'Just Dance' on our Wii and I've already told them that I insist on regular daily activity in either department, but know it will be difficult to enforce in the long-term. I also know it will be MUCH more difficult for parents who lack a garden/trampoline or Wii/etc., as many don't.

Me and the missus are both lucky atm in that currently our jobs have been unaffected by the virus, but who knows for how long? Those jobs, especially mine, entail a level of physical activity which will keep us relatively fit. However, under no circumstances will I be bouncing on a trampoline or partaking in 'Just Dance', so will have to consider my own options as the shit deepens upon the fan.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Fallible » Mar 23, 2020 11:37 am

Why under no circumstances? They are both excellent forms of exercise. I’d be doing them myself if I could.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby jamest » Mar 24, 2020 5:17 am

You're right. It's a silly man thing I guess, a bit like refusing to wear pink. I'll bear it in mind.

I lost my rag today as my 18 year-old step-daughter sneaked out for a last Mcdonalds lunch before it closed. I'm pretty sure that calling her a selfish moron was over the top, so now I feel bad, but it pisses me off that she's not taking it seriously enough. Not the greatest advert for a self isolating family, regardless. :(

Eta: we're not actually a self-isolating family as my missus and I are both deemed 'essential workers', apparently, but in all other respects we want to be one.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#29  Postby felltoearth » Mar 24, 2020 10:56 am

If you’re repeating the same crap to them as you do here it might be an indication of why they don’t take you seriously.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Mike_L » Mar 24, 2020 3:35 pm

I made some 'survival food' for lockdown during the viral apocalypse...

Rusks

rusks.jpg
rusks.jpg (71.28 KiB) Viewed 144 times

They're basically scones (UK) or biscuits (US) that are twice-baked to desiccate them. Like hardtack (seabiscuits), they have a long shelf life.
Nice when dunked into tea or coffee.
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#31  Postby Fallible » Mar 24, 2020 3:50 pm

jamest wrote:You're right. It's a silly man thing I guess, a bit like refusing to wear pink. I'll bear it in mind.

I lost my rag today as my 18 year-old step-daughter sneaked out for a last Mcdonalds lunch before it closed. I'm pretty sure that calling her a selfish moron was over the top, so now I feel bad, but it pisses me off that she's not taking it seriously enough. Not the greatest advert for a self isolating family, regardless. :(

Eta: we're not actually a self-isolating family as my missus and I are both deemed 'essential workers', apparently, but in all other respects we want to be one.

Er...well we all parent a bit differently, but no, it’s not a great idea to be name-calling one of your children because you lost your rag. I dunno how long ago she became your step-daughter, but I do know that relations in a step-family can be somewhat fragile and need careful management. Plus if you’re both out of the house regularly, you might as well not bother trying to isolate in order to protect the family. You bring the possibility home with you each time you bring yourselves home - her exposure once at a fast food establishment is possibly less of a risk than that - I doubt you and your wife separate yourselves from your children when you get home anyway.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby laklak » Mar 24, 2020 4:09 pm

Mike_L wrote:I made some 'survival food' for lockdown during the viral apocalypse...

I make buttermilk rusks because I can't buy them here. Here's my favorite brand
Attachments
Jouma.jpg
Jouma.jpg (22.37 KiB) Viewed 130 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Mike_L » Mar 24, 2020 4:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: The Western Cape variety!
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#34  Postby jamest » Mar 26, 2020 5:26 am

Fallible wrote:
jamest wrote:You're right. It's a silly man thing I guess, a bit like refusing to wear pink. I'll bear it in mind.

Er...well we all parent a bit differently, but no, it’s not a great idea to be name-calling one of your children because you lost your rag. I dunno how long ago she became your step-daughter, but I do know that relations in a step-family can be somewhat fragile and need careful management. Plus if you’re both out of the house regularly, you might as well not bother trying to isolate in order to protect the family. You bring the possibility home with you each time you bring yourselves home - her exposure once at a fast food establishment is possibly less of a risk than that - I doubt you and your wife separate yourselves from your children when you get home anyway.

I don't believe that any family exists which hasn't at many points had a fall-out involving differences of opinion etc., but during these very troubling times it will happen much more often. As I said, I don't feel unjustified in telling my step-daughter that she was wrong to go to Mcdonald's on Monday. Without qualifying her behaviour as moronic and selfish, I don't know how I could have justified that judgement, nor culled it.
Is there any kind way of telling people that they've acted like a cunt? Seriously. I mean, she's 18, not 5.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 26, 2020 6:30 am

The thing is, she's 18 not 5, so one might think you'd try and explain and appeal to her reasoning. I've been doing that with my step son since he was 4 and he knows when I am being serious because of these chats. None of those chats involve me belittling him - when he's done something wrong, I'll explain why it's wrong, what the ramifications are, and why he shouldn't do it. This seems to me, at least, to put the onus onto him to engage with the reasoning,to make it his own, rather than to be called names or shouted at and thereby feel pushed away and more inclined to do what she wants independently.

But take it or leave it: I'm just here trying to educate you jamest. :naughty2:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Thommo » Mar 26, 2020 6:41 am

jamest wrote:I don't believe that any family exists which hasn't at many points had a fall-out involving differences of opinion etc., but during these very troubling times it will happen much more often. As I said, I don't feel unjustified in telling my step-daughter that she was wrong to go to Mcdonald's on Monday. Without qualifying her behaviour as moronic and selfish, I don't know how I could have justified that judgement, nor culled it.
Is there any kind way of telling people that they've acted like a cunt? Seriously. I mean, she's 18, not 5.

Calmness. Listening. Empathy. Treating people with respect. Not flying off the handle.
Thommo

Print view this post

#37  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 26, 2020 10:28 am

Thommo wrote:Not flying off the handle.

That presumes there's a handle, somewhere.

:rofl: :clap: :dance:

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 26, 2020 10:31 am

Alternatively, it might all be ALL handle.
Last edited by Spearthrower on Mar 26, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#39  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 26, 2020 10:33 am

Spearthrower wrote:Alternatively, it might all be handle.

Second Alternatively, it might be all knob and no handle.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 26, 2020 10:35 am

Oops, I meant ALL handle... a handle attached to nothing - it looks like a handle, it turns like a handle, for all intents and purposes it IS a handle, it's just not attached to anything and therefore isn't really being a handle.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion