How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#61  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 30, 2020 10:55 pm

jamest wrote:
Also, I haven't said that the $/£ etc. is currently devoid of all value. That will only happen once hyperinflation kicks-in.

Please stop misrepresenting my views.


Yeah, but again, you're not really exhibiting any understanding even of your own argument.

You have claimed that there's going to be hyperinflation which would render the moneys you're collecting from your risky activity now worthless unless you spend all that money now too.

Of course, hyperfinflation is a prediction, not a reality, and it may just be that you aren't quite so certain of your predictions as you pretend to be, otherwise why would you worry about earning money that's inevitably going to become worthless?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27415
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#62  Postby OlivierK » Mar 30, 2020 11:08 pm

To put food on the table and convert the rest into bitcoins/gold now before the crisis hits?

James' predictions might be a bit shit, but his continuing to work for a fiat currency wage isn't at all hypocritical, especially as that the only kind of wages going around right now. :dunno:

I get that it was a throwaway remark, so not sure it's worth latching on to defend :cheers:
User avatar
OlivierK
 
Posts: 9568
Age: 53
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#63  Postby jamest » Mar 30, 2020 11:53 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
jamest wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
I didn't ask for anything, I just think you've got to put yourself in her shoes. What was the actual risk of her seeing her friends one last time before being caged for weeks, and who knows how much longer? The risk was minimal, particularly in comparison to her parents going out every day - necessary or not.


I'm not sure that I mentioned this, but she didn't go to McDonalds to meet friends. She just wanted a McDonalds. Even brought it home and ate it in the house.

For the final time, her behaviour WAS moronic and selfish. What was wrong though is that I lost my rag and could have dealt with it better.



Nothing there seems at all moronic or selfish. She just wanted to enjoy something before being locked up for who knows how long. I really don't think she did anything that justifies your anger at all.

Also, the way you're talking to me is indicative of how you talk to her: you are not the fucking messiah jamest - you hold an opinion, but that opinion does not magically become fact simply because it's yours. She's 18, a legal adult, and she has the right to go to a shop, that's still open, before lock-down actually occurred. So say it as many times as you like, but there's nothing final there at all - her behavior was, at worst, a little bit risky but presumably, as an adult, she decided that little risk was worth it.

Firstly, she doesn't have the right to decide for herself what she can do unless she's living by herself and paying for that. She doesn't. She lives in our family home and doesn't contribute a bean. She doesnt even help with the household chores. Considering that there are three other people here, I think that you're talking shit.

Secondly, our own family have discussed this matter at length for many weeks, as you might imagine, and it was made clear to both kids that we wouldn't be eating out again. This decision was made two weeks before McDonalds closed. Hence, she clearly disrespected our decision, which played a big part in me becoming angry, once I found out.

Lastly, there was a reason that MOST of the UK is shut down, which is that social distancing is just the obvious thing to be doing. That didn't suddenly become obvious AFTER McDonalds decided to shut their doors, you muppet. :nono:

I swear that if this was 1938 and I was calling Hitler a cunt, that you'd still be arguing against me. I think that you need to take yourself into self-isolation regarding my posts, for your own good, because it is clear that you are no longer able to respond to my posts objectively.

Best wishes, regardless.
Last edited by jamest on Mar 31, 2020 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18380
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#64  Postby jamest » Mar 31, 2020 12:12 am

OlivierK wrote:To put food on the table and convert the rest into bitcoins/gold now before the crisis hits?

James' predictions might be a bit shit, but his continuing to work for a fiat currency wage isn't at all hypocritical, especially as that the only kind of wages going around right now. :dunno:

I get that it was a throwaway remark, so not sure it's worth latching on to defend :cheers:

To be clear, I have been predicting that the global economy is about to walk over a swamp for more than a year. I of course didn't predict which black swan event it would take nor when it would happen (beyond 'soon'), but here we are and it's currently happening.

And yes, until fiat currency sinks like the Titanic I do need to earn £ to pay the bills etc..

With the amount of £/$ etc. your governments are printing out of thin air to deal with this crisis at the moment and a medical crisis I still expect us to be experiencing a year from now in one form or another, you have to ask yourselves how long your governments can continue doing this? For, let's be clear, they cannot to do it for very long otherwise they'd always be doing it.

You won't hear any of your government's say this directly , although Trump gave the game away when he said "We cannot allow the cure to be worse than the problem". That was about a week ago. Therefore, KNOW now what I already know: that Trump knows that unless America goes back to work SOON, it's all over.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18380
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#65  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 31, 2020 12:15 am

OlivierK wrote:To put food on the table and convert the rest into bitcoins/gold now before the crisis hits?

James' predictions might be a bit shit, but his continuing to work for a fiat currency wage isn't at all hypocritical, especially as that the only kind of wages going around right now. :dunno:

I get that it was a throwaway remark, so not sure it's worth latching on to defend :cheers:



Whatever you earn now is going to be worth nothing when the predicted hyperinflation hits.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27415
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#66  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 31, 2020 12:27 am

jamest wrote:
Firstly, she doesn't have the right to decide for herself what she can do unless she's living by herself and paying for that.


Actually, she does and you trying to use the security of a parental home as a bargaining chip isn't going to work out well for you. I can tell you from experience.


jamest wrote: She doesn't.


She does: she's legally an adult, and the laws of the land say that regardless of what you say.


jamest wrote: She lives in our family home and doesn't contribute a bean.


Do you want her to pay? Have you asked her to?

This is sounding remarkably familiar to me.


jamest wrote: She doesnt even help with the household chores. Considering that there are three other people here, I think that you're talking shit.


I'm talking shit by saying she's legally an adult and can make her own choices, where your response is that she doesn't pay or do household chores. I am not sure that you've thought through this. She's legally an adult because that's the law - the law doesn't say that being a legal adult is predicated on paying for accommodation or doing household chores.


jamest wrote:Secondly, our own family have discussed this matter at length for many weeks, as you might imagine, and it was made clear to both kids that we wouldn't be eating out again. This decision was made two weeks before McDonalds closed. Hence, she clearly disrespected our decision, which played a big part in me becoming angry, once I found out.


Disrespected your decision? I don't think that's what you mean - you mean you feel she disrespected you because she didn't do what you said.

Still, in the grand scheme of things, what she did was take a very minor risk to do something she wanted to do and knew she wouldn't be able to do for a while. I don't think it's very serious at all. I mean, if your family was comprised of people that were particularly susceptible or at specific risk from the effects of the infection, then I could imagine that even a tiny risk would be very hard to justify, but then you'd also need to be factoring that in with respect to going out every day to work. I think the truth is that you think you own her actions and decisions, and I think she probably really very much doesn't agree - but I expect she won't ever tell you that because she can't be arsed to get into a fight and have you call her names.


jamest wrote:Lastly, there was a reason that MOST of the UK is shut down, which is that social distancing is just the obvious thing to be doing.


You can social distance and still go shopping. Your logic is lacking as usual. You said she went to McDonalds by herself. Do you not go to the supermarket?


jamest wrote:That didn't suddenly become obvious AFTER McDonalds decided to shut their doors, you muppet. :nono:


How very typical of you to call people names, jamest. It's because your inflated ego blinds you to your shortcomings and thus you think you're in a position superior to others, whereas the sorry truth is that you are very much not so.


jamest wrote:I swear that if this was 1938 and I was calling Hitler a cunt, that you'd still be arguing against
me.


More jamest 'logic'.


jamest wrote: I think that you need to take yourself into self-isolation regarding my posts, for your own good, because it is clear that you are no longer able to respond to my posts objectively.


So to summarize, you tossed out some non-sequiturs, called me a name, ranted a little about Hitler, now you want to tell me that I need to stop responding to you because I can't post objectively!

How very jamest. :doh:

I'm afraid you need to take a serious look at yourself in the mirror jamest. If your real life persona is anything like your internet persona - as this little fracas very much suggests - then you're going to find that you alienate your kids to the point they can't bear to be anywhere near you. There really can be no greater way to fail at life. Get a grip of your own ego before it's too late.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27415
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#67  Postby Fallible » Mar 31, 2020 12:48 am

jamest wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
jamest wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
I didn't ask for anything, I just think you've got to put yourself in her shoes. What was the actual risk of her seeing her friends one last time before being caged for weeks, and who knows how much longer? The risk was minimal, particularly in comparison to her parents going out every day - necessary or not.


I'm not sure that I mentioned this, but she didn't go to McDonalds to meet friends. She just wanted a McDonalds. Even brought it home and ate it in the house.

For the final time, her behaviour WAS moronic and selfish. What was wrong though is that I lost my rag and could have dealt with it better.



Nothing there seems at all moronic or selfish. She just wanted to enjoy something before being locked up for who knows how long. I really don't think she did anything that justifies your anger at all.

Also, the way you're talking to me is indicative of how you talk to her: you are not the fucking messiah jamest - you hold an opinion, but that opinion does not magically become fact simply because it's yours. She's 18, a legal adult, and she has the right to go to a shop, that's still open, before lock-down actually occurred. So say it as many times as you like, but there's nothing final there at all - her behavior was, at worst, a little bit risky but presumably, as an adult, she decided that little risk was worth it.

Firstly, she doesn't have the right to decide for herself what she can do unless she's living by herself and paying for that.


Lol, yes she does. How can you not know that?

She doesn't.


She literally does.
She lives in our family home and doesn't contribute a bean. She doesnt even help with the household chores. Considering that there are three other people here, I think that you're talking shit.


He’s not. She’s an adult, and she has the right to do anything any other adult has the right to do. If you’ve got nothing set up to allow her to contribute to the household, that’s your choice. It doesn’t suddenly render her unentitled to all the things an adult is entitled to.

Secondly, our own family have discussed this matter at length for many weeks, as you might imagine, and it was made clear to both kids that we wouldn't be eating out again. This decision was made two weeks before McDonalds closed. Hence, she clearly disrespected our decision, which played a big part in me becoming angry, once I found out.


She’s not under any legal obligation to respect your decision, but just so you know, our children don’t always do what we want them to. You must get angry a lot if that’s all it takes.

Lastly, there was a reason that MOST of the UK is shut down, which is that social distancing is just the obvious thing to be doing. That didn't suddenly become obvious AFTER McDonalds decided to shut their doors, you muppet. :nono:

I swear that if this was 1938 and I was calling Hitler a cunt, that you'd still be arguing against me. I think that you need to take yourself into self-isolation regarding my posts, for your own good, because it is clear that you are no longer able to respond to my posts objectively.

Best wishes, regardless.


“You muppet”, and not even in response to someone disrespecting your wishes. Yeah, I see how it is.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51134
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#68  Postby jamest » Mar 31, 2020 12:53 am

Spearthrower wrote:
OlivierK wrote:To put food on the table and convert the rest into bitcoins/gold now before the crisis hits?

James' predictions might be a bit shit, but his continuing to work for a fiat currency wage isn't at all hypocritical, especially as that the only kind of wages going around right now. :dunno:

I get that it was a throwaway remark, so not sure it's worth latching on to defend :cheers:



Whatever you earn now is going to be worth nothing when the predicted hyperinflation hits.

I know that. But whilst the £ still has value, I need to work to earn it.

All my words on this matter are for the near future. I own bitcoin & gold/silver for the near future, not NOW. I have a gold-backed debit card (glint) for the near future, not NOW. Likewise a bitcoin-backed card (wirex). Likewise, I'm growing veg in my garden this year. Not because I enjoy gardening, but because it might potentially save our lives. That's how seriously I'm taking this.

This is the ONLY forum I'm a member of where I post any more, anywhere in the world. Therefore, I have an obligation to its members to help them where I can. Since nobody wants to listen to what I have to say about God, any more, I will now give financial advice where I feel necessary. Not for the thumbs ups, but to help the members here in the near future. Even your good self.

My advice:

a) Have SOME cash under your mattress, in case the banks go bump again.
b) Buy some silver and gold. Store it in vaults and/or have it delivered to you physically, depending upon how much you're investing.
c) Insofar as you can, buy sufficient long-life food to keep your family alive for more than 1 year.
d) Invest at least a small portion of your wealth into bitcoin/crypto. This could go tits-up and is high risk, but digital money may be the next 'fiat', so at least chance your arm to a small degree so that you're in the game and know how to play it.
e) Do NOT consider buying property/land until this crisis is well and truly over, for in a worst-case scenario, property/land could devalue as much as the stockmarket.
f) If you're bored and self-isolating at home, do an online course in how to live from the land.
g) Indeed, if you have any land, consider growing your own veg, as am I.
h) Consider the possibility of keeping livestock, especially chickens.
i) Consider the possibility of anarchy. How will you defend yourself? Or, consider the possibility of no food: how will you acquire it?
Get the right tools for the job.

These all probably seem like drastic actions to you all, but we're amidst this crisis already. Don't wait until it's too late. The only positive note is that you still have time to do something to protect yourselves.

This is akin to March 1940, folks. The war has started (ask Trump!). Don't just sit there with your heads up your arses thinking that it might be a "phoney war". You all NEED to be as proactive as you can in order to protect yourselves from what's coming. PLEASE!.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18380
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#69  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 31, 2020 1:46 am

jamest wrote:I know that. But whilst the £ still has value, I need to work to earn it.

All my words on this matter are for the near future. I own bitcoin & gold/silver for the near future, not NOW. I have a gold-backed debit card (glint) for the near future, not NOW. Likewise a bitcoin-backed card (wirex). Likewise, I'm growing veg in my garden this year. Not because I enjoy gardening, but because it might potentially save our lives. That's how seriously I'm taking this.


I don't understand why you keep repeating this to people. You know it's not true.

You explained before your reasoning for putting your savings into bitcoin and precious metals, and it was long before the outbreak of this virus, so the two have nothing in common. So that's not exemplifying anything about how seriously you're supposedly taking this.

Also, are you really actually honestly doing any gardening? Because while I've seen you mention it a few times as something you've thought about, this is the first time you've actually said you're doing it.

Personally, I love gardening - from an early age I helped my dad and my maternal grandfather planting and harvesting their vegetables and fruits, and most of my experience gardening is in the UK - not too far away from where you now live - so I know a fair bit about what amount of space it would take to feed a family of 4 (just so happens to be the size of my family in the UK) and I find it very, very doubtful that you're going to be growing enough vegetables this year to provide more than a couple of dozen meals for the family.

So I am really not sure that any of this actually exemplifies anything about how seriously you're supposedly taking this situation. Really, the only exemplification I am seeing is that you appear to be on the verge of panic most of the time, but I don't really consider that a serious response.



jamest wrote:This is the ONLY forum I'm a member of where I post any more, anywhere in the world.


What has that got to do with anything?

It's also the only forum I'm a member of where I post.


jamest wrote:Therefore, I have an obligation to its members to help them where I can.


Firstly, no that doesn't stand to reason - the 'therefore' is a non-sequitur. You don't have an obligation to do anything here other than what it says in the FUA.

Secondly, helping people is only relevant in one of two ways: 1) people ask you for help 2) you have expert knowledge that other people don't possess. Neither of these are true. So you're not helping out of obligation or anything. I think you're grand-standing. I think you've always wanted to be taken seriously here and never got that, and decided that this is how you're going to make that happen. Perhaps I am wrong, perhaps I am unfair, perhaps, perhaps, perhaps... but then you don't really show any sign of self-awareness so I am not sure why your explanations of your motivations are meant to be taken as granted.


jamest wrote:Since nobody wants to listen to what I have to say about God, any more, I will now give financial advice where I feel necessary.


Your financial advice is markedly similar to your claims about God - you assert you know best, make sweeping declarations you can't actually support, your evidence is never forth-coming, you appeal to unknown quantities and try to convince people that you have special knowledge to impart - I agree that the two phenomena are intimately linked. You didn't get what you wanted doing the first, so now you're trying this. But you haven't understood that it's not the topics really that are the problem here, it's your manner of forwarding those topics. Both involve you wanting to convince people that you know best, that you're special, that you have hidden knowledge, and that you can lead people. No one here wants any of this jamest. Not a jot of it.



jamest wrote:Not for the thumbs ups, but to help the members here in the near future. Even your good self.


I think you literally do it for thumbs up. As already mentioned in the other thread, the number of times you state you're not doing this for a reward when no one else has made any mention of reward makes me think you're literally looking for a reward.



jamest wrote:My advice:

a) Have SOME cash under your mattress, in case the banks go bump again.
b) Buy some silver and gold. Store it in vaults and/or have it delivered to you physically, depending upon how much you're investing.
c) Insofar as you can, buy sufficient long-life food to keep your family alive for more than 1 year.
d) Invest at least a small portion of your wealth into bitcoin/crypto. This could go tits-up and is high risk, but digital money may be the next 'fiat', so at least chance your arm to a small degree so that you're in the game and know how to play it.
e) Do NOT consider buying property/land until this crisis is well and truly over, for in a worst-case scenario, property/land could devalue as much as the stockmarket.
f) If you're bored and self-isolating at home, do an online course in how to live from the land.
g) Indeed, if you have any land, consider growing your own veg, as am I.
h) Consider the possibility of keeping livestock, especially chickens.
i) Consider the possibility of anarchy. How will you defend yourself? Or, consider the possibility of no food: how will you acquire it?


a) generally a bad idea as it's very insecure to keep any sizeable amount of money laying around - if the banks go 'bump again', then the government has a duty to prop them up. Whereas, if someone robs your house or your mattress sets on fire, no one's going to help you.
b) I don't think I know many people who literally own material gold - is that what you say you have? You own actual pieces of physical gold? Place them in vaults? How do you pay for those vaults? I assume the level of security you'd need to protect any sizeable quantity of physical gold would cost you a fair bit.
c) while it's a good idea to have stores of food in the house to keep you going for a bit - a staple fact in my house - the idea that you can buy in food enough to last a family of 4 a year doesn't seem very realistic to me. Further, as there's no current threat to the agricultural sector, or food distribution networks it's hard to even understand why you keep talking about this.
d) no, not a 'good idea' at all - you might as well go to the casino... at least that way you're nominally having fun from gambling.
e) as usual, very tenuous grasp - because of course, buying land/property when prices are low would be a way of making money, plus as a physical commodity that is unlikely ever to seriously devalue, it's a vastly safer investment than crypto-currency.
f) living from the land isn't plausible for people who live in a city.
g) Hmmm, I'm skeptical this is true.
h) Problem you've not addressed: if food becomes unavailable to the point where you'd be living off your grown foods, on what do you feed those livestock? It's these examples of shaky and poorly thought-out 'advice' that mean you're actually probably just blowing smoke up your own arse.
i) if society breaks down to Mad Max fantasy, I will probably die. You will probably die too. There is very little you can do to protect yourself in the absence of a state. Got a gun? So do the bad guys. Got food? Bad guys hungry and got guns and are desperate.

I think you want people to think you're a guru. I think you don't have any of your own ideas really. You regurgitate ideas you found elsewhere but missed substantial details underpinning those ideas.

So my advice here would be: don't take jamest's advice. And probably: you're already a sufficiently competent adult to think for yourself and thus don't need advice from someone like jamest anyway.


jamest wrote:Get the right tools for the job.


That is good advice, but it's a bit like saying: drink water every day.


jamest wrote:These all probably seem like drastic actions to you all,...


No, not at all. They all seem half-baked to me.


jamest wrote:... but we're amidst this crisis already.


Yet the crisis manifestly does not involve the agricultural sector collapsing, banks going bust, and anarchy on the streets. :scratch:


jamest wrote: Don't wait until it's too late.


Too late for what?

If you're looking to feed your family of 4 on veg consistently from the garden, then you're too late - you would've needed to have started last year, or even better, the year before that. That's assuming you have a big enough garden.


jamest wrote: The only positive note is that you still have time to do something to protect yourselves.


The above offers no protection against anything, jamest. If that's what you've done (which I don't believe anyway) then you're in no better position than I am... but then why aren't I setting myself up as a saviour of the forum members? Well, mostly because I assume they're intellectually competent adults that have already done what they can to minimize the effects of this situation, and they're not worrying about fantasy Mad Max scenarios.


jamest wrote:This is akin to March 1940, folks.


Um?

No, it's really, really not. One of the key differences is that then all our nations were working hard to fuck each other up, whereas now we're all working together to aid each other. I apreciate you're a close-minded antiquated nationalist bigot, but this is one of those times when we're manifestly stronger together, and as an international community, we will help each other through this event.



jamest wrote: The war has started (ask Trump!).


/point and laugh



jamest wrote:Don't just sit there with your heads up your arses thinking that it might be a "phoney war".


I'm sitting here with my head its typical distance away from my arse thinking 'this isn't a war'.


jamest wrote: You all NEED to be as proactive as you can in order to protect yourselves from what's coming. PLEASE!.


You really are a very silly man jamest.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27415
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#70  Postby jamest » Mar 31, 2020 2:39 am

Spearthrower wrote:
jamest wrote:I know that. But whilst the £ still has value, I need to work to earn it.

All my words on this matter are for the near future. I own bitcoin & gold/silver for the near future, not NOW. I have a gold-backed debit card (glint) for the near future, not NOW. Likewise a bitcoin-backed card (wirex). Likewise, I'm growing veg in my garden this year. Not because I enjoy gardening, but because it might potentially save our lives. That's how seriously I'm taking this.


I don't understand why you keep repeating this to people. You know it's not true.

It's true. Although I was convinced at the time that bitcoin was at the bottom of a bear market (and I may still be right about that), I was simultaneously talking about investing in the precious metals and protecting yourselves from the next financial crisis. One only has to read the bitcoin thread to see this for themselves.

You explained before your reasoning for putting your savings into bitcoin and precious metals, and it was long before the outbreak of this virus, so the two have nothing in common. So that's not exemplifying anything about how seriously you're supposedly taking this.

I knew that the next financial crisis was going to need a catalyst or black swan event, of course, but the fact that I didn't wish to predict the exact nature of this swan is irrelevant. I just knew that the next big crisis was the end.

Also, are you really actually honestly doing any gardening? Because while I've seen you mention it a few times as something you've thought about, this is the first time you've actually said you're doing it.

Yes, I am. I've purchased various seeds/potatoes and have already dug up the turf ready to sow them, which is probably this week (frost potential almost over). Further, I'm already successfully growing about 20 tomato plants indoors, which SOON need to be outdoors and in grow bags.

I've never done anything like this before, so it could be a huge cock-up, but I'm definitely doing it.

Personally, I love gardening - from an early age I helped my dad and my maternal grandfather planting and harvesting their vegetables and fruits, and most of my experience gardening is in the UK - not too far away from where you now live - so I know a fair bit about what amount of space it would take to feed a family of 4 (just so happens to be the size of my family in the UK) and I find it very, very doubtful that you're going to be growing enough vegetables this year to provide more than a couple of dozen meals for the family.

I have NO IDEA how much our efforts might make to this crisis. Whatever I might claim to be an expert in, it ain't gardening. I'm just giving it my best shot, from google. I reckon though that if push comes to shove that we have more than a 100 square yards (ish) to play with.

So I am really not sure that any of this actually exemplifies anything about how seriously you're supposedly taking this situation. Really, the only exemplification I am seeing is that you appear to be on the verge of panic most of the time, but I don't really consider that a serious response.

If somebody goes out with an umbrella after watching the weather report that says heavy rain, are they panicking?


You really are a very silly man jamest.

I want you to reserve that judgement for a few years.

Best case scenario: I'm the daftest idiot you've ever known and can link to threads such as these in the near future. I'll gladly take the 'beating' then.

You're not a bad bloke, really. You just think that I'm a daft bastard. You're not the first.

Best wishes to you and yours.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18380
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#71  Postby Fallible » Mar 31, 2020 10:55 am

:sigh:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51134
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#72  Postby felltoearth » Mar 31, 2020 11:07 am

Land and homes are a bad investment but when it all goes tits up Crypto is where you want your money. Lol.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13211
Age: 52

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#73  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 31, 2020 11:20 am

jamest wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
jamest wrote:
All my words on this matter are for the near future. I own bitcoin & gold/silver for the near future, not NOW. I have a gold-backed debit card (glint) for the near future, not NOW. Likewise a bitcoin-backed card (wirex). Likewise, I'm growing veg in my garden this year. Not because I enjoy gardening, but because it might potentially save our lives. That's how seriously I'm taking this.


I don't understand why you keep repeating this to people. You know it's not true.


It's true. Although I was convinced at the time that bitcoin was at the bottom of a bear market (and I may still be right about that), I was simultaneously talking about investing in the precious metals and protecting yourselves from the next financial crisis. One only has to read the bitcoin thread to see this for themselves.


Yes, reading that thread shows exactly what I mean.

You are trying to claim that your actions above show you're taking the threat of the coronavirus seriously, but the empirical fact is that you took those actions before there was any coronavirus outbreak, so they can't and don't show anything at all about you taking this seriously.

Like I said - the only possible item on your list that may actually be in response to the coronavirus outbreak is 'growing vegetables' which I am not sure you're actually doing.


jamest wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:You explained before your reasoning for putting your savings into bitcoin and precious metals, and it was long before the outbreak of this virus, so the two have nothing in common. So that's not exemplifying anything about how seriously you're supposedly taking this.


I knew that the next financial crisis was going to need a catalyst or black swan event, of course, but the fact that I didn't wish to predict the exact nature of this swan is irrelevant. I just knew that the next big crisis was the end.


It is when you're trying to claim that your actions in the past indicate how seriously you are taking a current event, because that's clearly untrue. Nothing that's happening now had any impact on your list of things you said showed you were taking this event seriously.

In reality, the economy hasn't actually crashed, so you're yet to even be shown to have done the right thing purely from a financial perspective - that's going to take waiting to see what the future holds like everyone else.

Also, have you even read Taleb's The Black Swan? Because you keep using components of the title, but I am not sensing that your grasp of the concept runs any deeper. The book has some good ideas, but it's also chock full of self-aggrandizing shite. Ironically, it's written by a financial expert. :doh:


jamest wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Also, are you really actually honestly doing any gardening? Because while I've seen you mention it a few times as something you've thought about, this is the first time you've actually said you're doing it.


Yes, I am. I've purchased various seeds/potatoes and have already dug up the turf ready to sow them, which is probably this week (frost potential almost over). Further, I'm already successfully growing about 20 tomato plants indoors, which SOON need to be outdoors and in grow bags.


Various seeds is a little lacking in specificity. You've got tomatoes which will be ripe in August/September, and you've got a lot of them - like an awful lot. But tomatoes don't keep well, so you've got a month or two at most of eating tomatoes and unless you jar up sauces, you're either going to be giving away a lot of tomatoes or adding them to a compost pile. Potatoes are a better bet for a long term stable food source as they can keep for a long time and a big crop can see you over many months, but they are really only supplemental in terms of providing a source of nutrition - you're going to need other things which you're still going to need to be able to buy.


jamest wrote:I've never done anything like this before, so it could be a huge cock-up, but I'm definitely doing it.


You're unlikely to have problems with the potatoes, although things can go wrong if you're unlucky. But tomatoes are really dependent on climatic factors, which is why they tend to be best grown in a greenhouse.

What you need to be doing in terms of your rationality here is looking at what crops are ready during which months so that you've got a spread of nutrition. You also need to be looking into various ways of extending the shelf-life of whatever it is you manage to grow.



jamest wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Personally, I love gardening - from an early age I helped my dad and my maternal grandfather planting and harvesting their vegetables and fruits, and most of my experience gardening is in the UK - not too far away from where you now live - so I know a fair bit about what amount of space it would take to feed a family of 4 (just so happens to be the size of my family in the UK) and I find it very, very doubtful that you're going to be growing enough vegetables this year to provide more than a couple of dozen meals for the family.


I have NO IDEA how much our efforts might make to this crisis. Whatever I might claim to be an expert in, it ain't gardening. I'm just giving it my best shot, from google. I reckon though that if push comes to shove that we have more than a 100 square yards (ish) to play with.


I'm no expert either - I have brown fingers and can take a perfectly healthy plant and kill it in a short space of time. I said I love gardening, not that I am an expert in it - I know more theoretically than in terms of the actual practice. This is completely the opposite of both my father and maternal grandfather who just had an innate ability to make shit grow well.

However, you don't need to be an expert in gardening to think about how much crop a plant may produce and what you're going to do with it when you've harvested it. Potatoes keep well, tomatoes don't. 20 tomato plants, assuming they all grow and fruit well is going to produce a shit tonne of tomatoes... so how are you going to make sure that you benefit from that effort?


jamest wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
So I am really not sure that any of this actually exemplifies anything about how seriously you're supposedly taking this situation. Really, the only exemplification I am seeing is that you appear to be on the verge of panic most of the time, but I don't really consider that a serious response.


If somebody goes out with an umbrella after watching the weather report that says heavy rain, are they panicking?


No, but that's not analogous with what you're doing.

The analogy would be that you've seen a small cloud on the horizon, and you're running around bellowing at everyone that the end of the world is nigh.


jamest wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
You really are a very silly man jamest.


I want you to reserve that judgement for a few years.


It doesn't actually matter what the outcome is with respect to your actions right now. Even if the global economy crashes, your behavior of self-belief and thinking you can advise others authoritatively still makes you a very silly man.



jamest wrote:Best case scenario: I'm the daftest idiot you've ever known and can link to threads such as these in the near future. I'll gladly take the 'beating' then.


I bet you don't. I bet you will spin it as you've always done.

The worst for you is your claims that involve numbers, like suggesting half the world's population is going to die. That will come back to bite you in the arse, but will it affect your self-confidence? I doubt it.


jamest wrote:You're not a bad bloke, really. You just think that I'm a daft bastard. You're not the first.


As I've said before: I'm an asshole, but that's irrelevant because it doesn't materially change the point at hand. If we are really in crisis situation, then the truth is that we need actual expert advice, not self-confident authority figures misleading people based on their own poorly reasoned reactions. Further, you should understand that people here are not morons. You're talking about stocking up on food like it's some new idea - I've been stocked up on food for many, many years ever since I was trapped inside my building for 10 days thanks to conflict between soldiers and dissidents right outside on the street below. Factually, my experience in this regard is (unfortunately) vastly superior to yours - you've lived all your life in comfortable, twee little England where you've never experienced any serious social discontent or break down in governance. I've lived through multiple government coups, take-over by semi-paramilitary groups, city-wide flooding, other viral outbreaks and consequent lock-downs - experiences you've never had and probably can't even imagine. What's intriguingly ironic between your pro-Brexit argument, your reference to WW2 and your panicking sky-falling doomsaying is just how anti-British this is supposed to be - we're supposedly stalwart, stiff upper-lip types who stoically face down any hardship or adversity - isn't that the national self-mythos? You seem to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown already given your doomsaying here; how is that meant to help you let alone anyone else?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27415
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#74  Postby Thommo » Mar 31, 2020 11:41 am

felltoearth wrote:Land and homes are a bad investment but when it all goes tits up Crypto is where you want your money. Lol.


That, mattress stuffing and a sterling debit card denominated in gold or crypto and accessed through your phone.

I honestly have no clue how this is supposed to be "How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids", mind you. I'm more concerned about the claim that people have a right to control 18 year olds. That seems like a really toxic behaviour to me.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 26885

Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#75  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 31, 2020 11:51 am

Thommo wrote: I'm more concerned about the claim that people have a right to control 18 year olds. That seems like a really toxic behaviour to me.


It is, and it works out badly for all involved.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27415
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#76  Postby Fallible » Mar 31, 2020 12:09 pm

Bad idea to stuff your mattress in Manchester.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51134
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#77  Postby felltoearth » Mar 31, 2020 2:32 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Thommo wrote: I'm more concerned about the claim that people have a right to control 18 year olds. That seems like a really toxic behaviour to me.


It is, and it works out badly for all involved.

When you believe you only exist in the mind of your creator, how can you possibly think authoritarian control is a problem?


______________________________________
Sent to somewhere using a shitty app. Sorry for the tags and/or dupe posts.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13211
Age: 52

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#78  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 31, 2020 3:13 pm

jamest wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Spearthrower wrote:
OlivierK wrote:To put food on the table and convert the rest into bitcoins/gold now before the crisis hits?

James' predictions might be a bit shit, but his continuing to work for a fiat currency wage isn't at all hypocritical, especially as that the only kind of wages going around right now. :dunno:

I get that it was a throwaway remark, so not sure it's worth latching on to defend :cheers:



Whatever you earn now is going to be worth nothing when the predicted hyperinflation hits.

I know that. But whilst the £ still has value, I need to work to earn it.

All my words on this matter are for the near future. I own bitcoin & gold/silver for the near future, not NOW. I have a gold-backed debit card (glint) for the near future, not NOW. Likewise a bitcoin-backed card (wirex). Likewise, I'm growing veg in my garden this year. Not because I enjoy gardening, but because it might potentially save our lives. That's how seriously I'm taking this.

This is the ONLY forum I'm a member of where I post any more, anywhere in the world. Therefore, I have an obligation to its members to help them where I can. Since nobody wants to listen to what I have to say about God, any more, I will now give financial advice where I feel necessary. Not for the thumbs ups, but to help the members here in the near future. Even your good self.

My advice:

a) Have SOME cash under your mattress, in case the banks go bump again.
b) Buy some silver and gold. Store it in vaults and/or have it delivered to you physically, depending upon how much you're investing.
c) Insofar as you can, buy sufficient long-life food to keep your family alive for more than 1 year.
d) Invest at least a small portion of your wealth into bitcoin/crypto. This could go tits-up and is high risk, but digital money may be the next 'fiat', so at least chance your arm to a small degree so that you're in the game and know how to play it.
e) Do NOT consider buying property/land until this crisis is well and truly over, for in a worst-case scenario, property/land could devalue as much as the stockmarket.
f) If you're bored and self-isolating at home, do an online course in how to live from the land.
g) Indeed, if you have any land, consider growing your own veg, as am I.
h) Consider the possibility of keeping livestock, especially chickens.
i) Consider the possibility of anarchy. How will you defend yourself? Or, consider the possibility of no food: how will you acquire it?
Get the right tools for the job.

These all probably seem like drastic actions to you all, but we're amidst this crisis already. Don't wait until it's too late. The only positive note is that you still have time to do something to protect yourselves
.

This is akin to March 1940, folks. The war has started (ask Trump!). Don't just sit there with your heads up your arses thinking that it might be a "phoney war". You all NEED to be as proactive as you can in order to protect yourselves from what's coming. PLEASE!.

I have seen war. This isn't it.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 20855
Age: 57
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#79  Postby laklak » Mar 31, 2020 3:20 pm

You'd think it was the fucking apocalypse listening to all the bitching. THEY CLOSED THE BOAT RAMPS!!! WAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Honestly. "Itz muh RITES!". No it fucking isn't you goddamn idiot. The reason they're restricting everything from eating in restaurants to launching a boat is that YOU assholes can't follow simple directions.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20399
Age: 66
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: How to deal with the coronavirus lockdown when you have kids

#80  Postby felltoearth » Mar 31, 2020 3:44 pm

This isn’t the rights hill to die on. It’s a stupid hill.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13211
Age: 52

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest