How to quit smoking cigarettes?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

How to quit smoking cigarettes?

#1  Postby skeptikko » Mar 31, 2021 10:19 am

Has anyone got any great ideas for quitting smoking? I have tried vaping and nicotine chewing gum, with no luck. Still have to smoke cigarettes almost daily.

Someone recommended to test nicotine pouches, or nikotiininuska, as they call it here. Anyone tried that? Did it work?
skeptikko

Name: Janina Olsson

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Re: How to quit smoking cigarettes?

#2  Postby Animavore » Mar 31, 2021 10:44 am

When I gave up the final time, after trying other methods, I used the Darren Brown method.

The thing with giving up smoking is that we tend to treat it like a once and for all, deadlined thing. We say, From this point forth I will no longer have a cigarette, and turn it into this mad challenge, one which we will either succeed or fail at. We then treat breaking this promise we have made for ourselves as a failure, one we have already set ourselves up for when we declared our ultimatum. This way of giving up is just a load of unnecessary stress.

When I gave up the final time, as per advice in Derren Brown's book Happy (I think), I just didn't smoke. I didn't declare I was giving up, I didn't tell everyone I was done with cigarettes, I just didn't smoke.

Until I did.

Inevitably, after a few days, I started feeling really powerful urges. I tried to ignore them as much as possible but, and this is the important bit, if I did cave and had a cigarette, I treated it like it was no biggie. I'm an adult and I'll have a cigarette if I want. I didn't treat it like a failure, sure I never said I was quitting, and it's not a competition anyway. No problem. I went back to just not smoking. A day, four days, a couple of weeks, whatever.

Over time I just drifted away from them completely. I can't remember exactly when I last had a cigarette; I did smoke a joint with tobacco in it one day last year but I don't really count that. I don't feel any need to smoke at all now.

I can't say this will work for everyone and it's probably not the quick fix advice or solution in a bottle you were looking for, but unless you get in the right mind-frame for it and change how you view smoking it's not going to be easy to quit. All those patches and alternatives, they're not 'cures', they're just aides to help people get through giving up.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 31, 2021 11:04 am

Listen to the audiobook of Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" - I'd tried to stop for many years before busting the habit with this method. Stopping smoking using this method was, in fact, and still is to a degree, as promised, easy and ENJOYABLE!

Binge listen to the whole thing in one day - that's what I did and am now 10 months-ish smoke free.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#4  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 31, 2021 2:33 pm

What a great surname. I have the "h" in mine.

I approximated a daily dose of nicotine with transdermal patches, during waking hours only. I used them full strength for two weeks, two-thirds strength for two weeks, then one third strength for the last two weeks. Cut the patches before peeling off the backings, retain the third you just removed to add to tomorrow's for use the following day. No point in wasting them.

The first two weeks were the most noisy. But, I found the nicotine replacement worked fine to truly remove the urgency from the every twenty or thirty minute wave of cravings. I clearly remember noting moments when I would normally smoke, and not being bothered.

I did the full six weeks to make the physical fidget habits I'd developed go extinct. You might help your success by breaking up your smoking habits before you quit.

My mother, a nurse, came to visit me when she was sixty years old. We went on a day trip to Paris, and I couldn't keep up with her. I decided to stop the damage to my lungs at that moment.

Good luck.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Fenrir » Mar 31, 2021 3:52 pm

I very carefully didn't tell anyone I was quitting.

People focusing on the one thing I don't want to think about always ruined it for me.

I particularly didn't tell myself.

A 40 year habit. That was almost 2 years ago. Haven't had one since.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#6  Postby campermon » Mar 31, 2021 7:31 pm

I used vapes - set myself a day and went with it. Was chuffing on the vape for my life for the first couple of days! But you get through it.

Now have a vape habit!

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby MarkS » Apr 08, 2021 10:51 pm

I stopped smoking and started vaping. Vaped my head off for 3 years. Then I started waking up in the night breathless. That scared me. After it happened a few times I chucked the lot in the bin. I did experience cravings, but was not tempted to buy cigarettes. This was a year ago now.
“Commander Vimes didn't like the phrase 'The innocent have nothing to fear', believing the innocent had everything to fear, mostly from the guilty but in the longer term even more from those who say things like 'The innocent have nothing to fear'.”
MarkS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby cowolter » Sep 01, 2021 2:18 pm

One day a few years ago, I was at the gym and started talking to an older man that was working out right next to me. It turned out he was a hypnotist that specializes in quitting smoking. He gave me a tip. This is what he said.
Write down 10 reasons quitting will be beneficial. Then write down 10 reasons continuing smoking will be harmful or negative.
Read all 20 things aloud, slowly. Three times a day.
What you will be doing is reprogramming your subconscious suggestion to realize the risks and benefits. This will change the way your mind blindly reacts to smoking. It's the same how people who pray everyday to Allah or Jesus believe with such conviction.
cowolter

Name: John Walter

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 03, 2021 12:20 pm

The problem with "hammering home on repeat" all the + and - points RE smoking is that it creates a sense of sacrifice in the mind. Allow me to elaborate: humans generally hold that we are, more or less, sensible and intelligent. Banging on about all the + sides to quitting and - sides for continuing, creates and strengthens the belief that smoking must surely provide some real significant joy/utility or else why the hell would we do it (smoke) given all the glaring and massive reasons to quit!

Thus spake Allen Carr in Easy Way, more or less. I am now around 18 months smoke free, btw, after consuming and digesting his ingenious work on the topic.

:cheers:
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#10  Postby Jan135 » Mar 07, 2022 10:41 am

When I quit, I was trying my best to distract myself from wanting so smoke. Best to watch or play something interesting. Every time the thought of smoking crosses your mind, cast it away, focus on thinking about something else. Distance yourself from smoking people. Do that until you reach two milestones. First being 3 days without smoking. It's not that long, but the first three days are the most tough. The second milestone is one month without smoking. In a month your body won't need any nicotine from outside. Then the hard part is to not start again. One cigarette, and you'll have to do it all over again.
Jan135

Name: Jan Pawlowski

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby sowlarris15 » Apr 05, 2022 10:06 am

Eh, I wish I had something to help me quit smoking
sowlarris15

Name: Max Parker

Print view this post

Return to General Discussion