How would you define social degeneracy?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How would you define social degeneracy?

#21  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 21, 2019 10:14 pm

I can certainly see why JAQing off fell out of use.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Ironclad » Oct 21, 2019 11:01 pm

This thread lol
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Hermit » Oct 21, 2019 11:33 pm

Like "propaganda", "decadence", "degeneracy" and so forth acquired additional stench from people who were quite on the nose themselves, but the Nazis were not the only ones who made those topics a feature, and certainly not the first.The concept of decadence was developed by Montesquieu, who wrote at length about the fall of the Roman empire. Decadence also featured large as a mindset during the last few years of the 19th century. The name of the period, Fin de siècle connoted it. Gautier, Baudelaire and Huysmans were among quite a number of writers and artists who referred to themselves as Decadents. Yes, the Decadent Movement was a thing in late 19th century Europe, particularly in France, where its adherents had their own magazine, fittingly enough named Le Décadent.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 22, 2019 4:05 am

Guadalupe wrote:

When and why did the word degeneracy fall out of use?

What about the others? i.e. societal decay and decadence.

Around September 2, 1945.

Mysteriously, about the same time that hobnailed jackboots, toothbrush moustaches, and industrial scale walk-in ovens fell out of use.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 22, 2019 4:11 am

RE decadency:

Conspicuous consumption is the spending of money on and the acquiring of luxury goods and services to publicly display economic power—of the income or of the accumulated wealth of the buyer. To the conspicuous consumer, such a public display of discretionary economic power is a means of either attaining or maintaining a given social status.[1][2]

The development of Thorstein Veblen's sociology of conspicuous consumption produced the term invidious consumption, the ostentatious consumption of goods that is meant to provoke the envy of other people; and the term conspicuous compassion, the deliberate use of charitable donations of money in order to enhance the social prestige of the donor, with a display of superior socio-economic status

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_consumption

The latter part of the quote bears a quite remarkable similarity to virtue signalling by my mind. How very 21st century.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#26  Postby laklak » Oct 22, 2019 7:06 am

Nowt wrong with the odd bit of decadence. Not something you'd do every day, mind you, but in moderation it can be quite refreshing, like champagne out of a lady's slipper. Not sure about degeneracy, never tried it. Too much addiction potential from what I've heard.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#27  Postby aufbahrung » Oct 22, 2019 8:00 am

Degenerates are everywhere today. Most visible in politics and banking. The handheld computer has made every refuse collector believe they are a mini-god. See it in my own family even. The fog-heads actually believe they've something to say, and they are saying it too and it is being echoed back and forth. Thankfully degeneracy means eventually the electric grids will fail as a lack of science/engineering talent produces a culture of greater and greater current outages.
"I'd rather live a single day as a Lion than to live forever as a sheep."
-Benito Mussolini

"Culture is on the horns of this dilemma: if profound and noble, it must remain rare, if common, it must become mean."
-George Santayana
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Hermit » Oct 22, 2019 8:37 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Guadalupe wrote:

When and why did the word degeneracy fall out of use?

What about the others? i.e. societal decay and decadence.

Around September 2, 1945.

If you must attempt to pinpoint a day, try May 8 1945, when Germany surrendered unconditionally to the allied forces. Japan's surrender four months later had no impact on industrial scale walk-in ovens.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#29  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 22, 2019 9:02 am

Hermit wrote:
If you must attempt to pinpoint a day,...

I did, not that I must, and for the result feel free to read my post. You're perfectly entitled to select your own preferred day, if you must.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby Animavore » Oct 22, 2019 9:21 am

That's interesting. I never knew between the link between the word "degenerate" and Nazis. I always associated it with Victorian England. The type of word wealthy factory owners used to describe the poor, orphans, prostitutes etc.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Svartalf » Oct 22, 2019 9:49 am

well, the Nazis did ban and hunt 'degenerate art' (though large amount of it found its way to Goering's treasure trove)
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Hermit » Oct 22, 2019 10:24 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Hermit wrote:

I did, not that I must, and for the result feel free to read my post. You're perfectly entitled to select your own preferred day, if you must.

Way to miss the point, Spearthrower, the point being that if you attempt to pick a day, pick one that is obviously more on target. The day Japan surrendered is missing it by four months. Industrial scale walk-in ovens were not its thing.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#33  Postby TopCat » Oct 22, 2019 12:05 pm

Thommo wrote:So, to paraphrase:
"This term is associated with Nazism."

I had no idea about this before this thread. Now that I do, I can see why a few have reacted with suspicion of the OP's motives.

However, it does seem to me that in Trumpistan and Borisville, some of society's important norms do seem to be disintegrating.

With populism, hate crime, ultra-PC, extreme partisanship and lack of even the desirability of truth in politics, society's ability to have reasonable discourse about virtually anything is disappearing almost as fast as the rainforests. Maybe it's been disappearing for a long time, but since 2016 the process seems to have accelerated.

So even if words like 'degenerate' are disallowed, it's still worth talking about.

Albeit possibly not with the OP, I'd concede.
Last edited by TopCat on Oct 22, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Hermit wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Way to miss the point, Spearthrower, the point being that if you attempt to pick a day, pick one that is obviously more on target. The day Japan surrendered is missing it by four months. Industrial scale walk-in ovens were not its thing.

Point is Hermit that if you don't get a joke, then telling the person how they should tell their joke is more than a little fucking tone deaf.

The only person missing that point chap, is you.

As for Japan surrendering... well, odd isn't it how that also coincidentally occurs on the exact same day as another thing which I happened to be referring to and which fits perfectly well with the joke as I intended it.

Perhaps next time you want to be a smart arse, you should first check whether or not you're actually being smart, otherwise, you're just being an arse.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#35  Postby Hermit » Oct 22, 2019 12:52 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Point is Hermit that if you don't get a joke, then telling the person how they should tell their joke is more than a little fucking tone deaf.

The attempted joke was spotted easily enough. What a pity it was spoilt by the punchline being out by four months.

Spearthrower wrote:As for Japan surrendering... well, odd isn't it how that also coincidentally occurs on the exact same day as another thing which I happened to be referring to and which fits perfectly well with the joke as I intended it.

I wait with bated breath for you to find another thing which you happened to be referring to that occurred on the exact same day Japan surrendered which fits the exact same day the word degeneracy fell out of use perfectly well, keeping toothbrush moustaches, and industrial scale walk-in ovens firmly in mind.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 22, 2019 12:56 pm

Hermit wrote:
The attempted joke was spotted easily enough. What a pity it was spoilt by the punchline being out by four months.

Feel free to rip off my joke and insert your preferred date and see if you do better with it.

Hermit wrote:
I wait with bated breath for you to find another thing which you happened to be referring to that occurred on the exact same day Japan surrendered which fits the exact same day the word degeneracy fell out of use perfectly well, keeping toothbrush moustaches, and industrial scale walk-in ovens firmly in mind.

Wow, even I didn't predict this level of failing with respect to smart-arsery.

Now what could possibly have happened so coincidentally at the same time that Japan surrendered?

:doh: :lol:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#37  Postby Hermit » Oct 22, 2019 12:58 pm

TopCat wrote:So even if words like 'degenerate' are disallowed, it's still worth talking about.

And it has been talked about for centuries before the Nazis made them a talking point. I briefly mentioned a couple of occasions in this post.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#38  Postby Hermit » Oct 22, 2019 1:05 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Hermit wrote:Now what could possibly have happened so coincidentally at the same time that Japan surrendered?

You obviously haven't found a suitable thing that also occurred on September 2, 1945, but I'll help you out. On September 2, 1945 the Democratic Republic of Vietnam was proclaimed when revolutionary leader Ho Chi Minh declared independence from France. How that caused the word degeneracy to fall out of use and what the connection with toothbrush moustaches, and industrial scale walk-in ovens is, however, remains for you you to clarify. ;)

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#39  Postby scott1328 » Oct 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Well, if nothing else, we know what a degenerate forum thread looks like.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 22, 2019 1:22 pm

Hermit wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Now what could possibly have happened so coincidentally at the same time that Japan surrendered?

You obviously haven't found a suitable thing that also occurred on September 2, 1945, but I'll help you out.

You mean you haven't yet worked out why you're making a twat out of yourself for no reason whatsoever. Help yourself, lad.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion