How would you define social degeneracy?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How would you define social degeneracy?

#41  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 22, 2019 1:27 pm

As we're all in on the public displays of learning actually gleaned from a quick shifty of Google.

Japan actually surrendered on August 15, 1945 in the Jewel Voice Broadcast, not September 2 as you keep claiming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel_Voice_Broadcast

The Jewel Voice Broadcast (玉音放送 Gyokuon-hōsō) was the radio broadcast in which Japanese Emperor Hirohito (Emperor Shōwa 昭和天皇 Shōwa-tennō) read out the Imperial Rescript on the Termination of the Greater East Asia War (大東亜戦争終結ノ詔書 Daitōa-sensō-shūketsu-no-shōsho), announcing to the Japanese people that the Japanese Government had accepted the Potsdam Declaration demanding the unconditional surrender of the Japanese military at the end of World War II. This speech was broadcast at noon Japan Standard Time on August 15, 1945.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Thommo » Oct 22, 2019 1:37 pm

TopCat wrote:
Thommo wrote:So, to paraphrase:
"This term is associated with Nazism."

I had no idea about this before this thread. Now that I do, I can see why a few have reacted with suspicion of the OP's motives.

However, it does seem to me that in Trumpistan and Borisville, some of society's important norms do seem to be disintegrating.

With populism, hate crime, ultra-PC, extreme partisanship and lack of even the desirability of truth in politics, society's ability to have reasonable discourse about virtually anything is disappearing almost as fast as the rainforests. Maybe it's been disappearing for a long time, but since 2016 the process seems to have accelerated.

So even if words like 'degenerate' are disallowed, it's still worth talking about.

Albeit possibly not with the OP, I'd concede.

I agree with all that, and without trying to put words in her mouth I doubt DD would disagree either. As I think you know I share your lament for the lack of reasonable discourse, especially in politics.

I was just amused by the response her post got. It doesn't really seem sensible to me to respond to a post pointing out the links the term grew to have with Nazism (and the same goes for concepts like eugenics*, antisemitism, propaganda and social darwinism which also had significant histories before the Nazis) with a question as to why the term fell out of fashion.

To a large extent I stand by my first post (#3 in the thread), I think if we ignore the racist connotations and stick to a minimalist definition then social degeneration would be the regression of society to an earlier, less preferable state. What is packed into "less preferable" would depend on the speaker, so for me, walking back human rights, in particular gay rights, minority rights and women's rights would be very undesirable and hence degenerate.

Of course I use those examples fully aware that the chances are that these are the exact antithesis of what the OP appears to have in mind. I rather enjoyed the irony. As with so many of my posts I'm probably being a tad self-indulgent and posting it for my own amusement more than any other reason. :tehe:

*I am endlessly fascinated by how eugenics ended up in the place it did. You start off with the concept of improving the human genome for the benefit of all people and end up at hideous mass murder. It's a lesson in how utopian ideals alone don't make something a good idea, and I think there are some obvious political parallels there with the modern world.
Thommo

Print view this post

#43  Postby Guadalupe » Oct 22, 2019 3:00 pm

Thommo wrote:
TopCat wrote:
Thommo wrote:the chances are that these are the exact antithesis of what the OP appears to have in mind.

Societal decay, degeneracy, decadence. No connotations, just terms that have been around for ages.

How would you define them, and what are some examples?
Guadalupe

Female

Print view this post

#44  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Guadalupe wrote:
Societal decay, degeneracy, decadence. No connotations, just terms that have been around for ages.

How about you define them and give examples of your definition?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#45  Postby newolder » Oct 22, 2019 3:11 pm

Societ l d k.

deg
e
n
e
r
a
c
y

Decadence: 10 Lords a leapin'
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#46  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Social degenerosity?
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#47  Postby Thommo » Oct 22, 2019 3:27 pm

Guadalupe wrote:
Thommo wrote:the chances are that these are the exact antithesis of what the OP appears to have in mind.

Quoting from that post you're quoting:
Thommo wrote:To a large extent I stand by my first post (#3 in the thread), I think if we ignore the racist connotations and stick to a minimalist definition then social degeneration would be the regression of society to an earlier, less preferable state. What is packed into "less preferable" would depend on the speaker, so for me, walking back human rights, in particular gay rights, minority rights and women's rights would be very undesirable and hence degenerate.

Decadence is a bit different but essentially means moral decline (again, this will be speaker-relative) based on excessive indulgence. It's most commonly referred to in regard to the worst excesses of consumerism, although in truth the concept bears little importance in my own world view.

Now, I do feel obliged to add that I can see no reasonable way you could have missed this, given you went out of your way to remove the other half of the sentence you quoted which specifically refers to these examples given in the previous sentence.

Perhaps I should also say I have ignored entirely conceptions of social degeneracy which arose out of Lamarckian biology, since that is a falsified theory so there cannot be a whole lot of point discussing consequences that are based on assuming it's true. It is anachronistic to discuss these seriously, just as it is to discuss luminiferous aether, the expanding Earth or phlogiston.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Fallible » Oct 22, 2019 6:37 pm

:lol: this thread is ridiculous...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Svartalf » Oct 22, 2019 7:11 pm

of course it is, that's why it's fun.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Discussion