In the Beginning....

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

In the Beginning....

#1  Postby Animavore » Apr 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Here's a rather interesting piece I found from some barely known blogger in the cyberspace.

What does it actually mean for something to begin?

This is a question that has troubled philosophers for millennia and, contrary to the wibblings of some apologists, it's still a problematic question if not treated with some care.

When, for example, did this post begin? Did it begin when I hit the save button for the first time? How about when I first made an account to blogspot? Or maybe the wholesale demolition of a vibrant community, the event that drove me to seek out a new platform in the first place? Or maybe it was my birth in Croydon, or my parents' births, in Nenagh and Turloughmore respectively? There are many points I could describe it as beginning, and all would be entirely arbitrary.

Now for the care, which will require the unpacking of some terms. The first of these terms is ex nihilo, which means 'from nothing'. Some religious types will tell you that for something to begin from nothing is not possible, and they even have a kinky Latin phrase to make it sound like they've given the matter more than a cursory glance; ex nihilo nihil fit - from nothing, nothing comes - attributed to Parmenides sometime around the turn of the 5th century BCE. Of course, what they can't do is to show this in any robust fashion, they merely assert it, and will often point to the thoughts of past philosophers as their only justification. This attempt at justification has problems deeper than those with the assertion itself, for reasons I hope to elucidate shortly. In brief, we can point to phenomena that arise quite literally from nothing, but in a very special sense.

The second term is ex materia which, as the astute reader will no doubt spot, means 'from material'. This seems to gel well with our understanding of the universe, and especially the laws of thermodynamics, but even this is laden with issues when we try to apply it to the universe as a whole. More on that later. All of the 'beginnings' we've ever encountered have been of this type (with some qualification, which appears below).

The third term is ex deo, or 'from god', which I hope requires no further explanation.

Read in full: http://reciprocity-giving-something-bac ... nning.html
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: In the Beginning....

#2  Postby Animavore » Apr 27, 2016 11:09 am

It's Hack. The blogger is Hack.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby jamest » Apr 27, 2016 11:14 am

It's a shame that he's left as I'd like to discuss this with him in the philosophy forum, which is where it belongs.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Sendraks » Apr 27, 2016 11:20 am

Animavore wrote:It's Hack. The blogger is Hack.

Yes. I know. What's more I suspect you know that I know. And I know that you know I know that you know.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Matthew Shute » Apr 27, 2016 5:21 pm

Hey, why don't we share his stuff around, see if we can get him a few more readers?

hack.png
hack.png (26.67 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#6  Postby crank » Apr 27, 2016 6:32 pm

Animavore wrote:It's Hack. The blogger is Hack.

So you're saying the guys a hack?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby thirsting » Apr 30, 2016 8:06 am

Damn that guy can express himself clearly. Enjoyable reading. I remember reading here somewhere that he's a teacher of some sort, right? It's easy to imagine he's great at that job.

...but wouldn't have recognised him without someone telling who he is (or well, without seeing his nick). Can't see any swearing in that blog post! :p

Edit: Almost toned down awkward mancrush-fed fanboyism a bit, but eh..
Well that was awkward.
thirsting

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Return to General Discussion