Internet Aristocrat Explains Social Justice Warriors

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Internet Aristocrat Explains Social Justice Warriors

#401  Postby proudfootz » Aug 29, 2015 2:20 am

Sadegh wrote:The numerous real or alleged death threats against Sarkeesian didn't come to court either so I guess I can dismiss those too.

Apparently it's not plagiarism if you suffer no legal penalty.

Sadly, the harassment and threats are well documented.

The 'plagiarism' claims are a matter of subjective interpretation.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#402  Postby Sadegh » Aug 29, 2015 2:52 am

proudfootz wrote:Sadly, the harassment and threats are well documented.

Some are definitely real. Willing to bet she made up / exaggerated some others.

There's another thing: I don't know why people use this to mean that Sarkeesian is exempt from any criticism.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2011/0 ... eat/175446
Last edited by Sadegh on Aug 29, 2015 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
La guerra è bella perché inaugura la sognata metallizzazione del corpo umano.
(War is beautiful because it initiates the dreamed-of metalization of the human body.)

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#403  Postby surreptitious57 » Aug 29, 2015 7:44 am

I have no problem with the principle of social justice and actually support it one hundred per cent. But social justice warriors and social justice are not the same thing. I myself see things from an issue perspective than an individual perspective. Since for me it is what is being said not who is saying it. Though within the world of social justice who someone is can be reason enough to deny their arguments without focusing on them as much as should be. Whereas I could not care less who some
one is and am far more interested in what they have to say. This is why I listen to all sides and do not align myself to a particular one as no one has a monopoly on wisdom. The notion of sides is fundamentally wrong here since it is more
shades of grey rather than the absolutes of black and white. Something that many on each side seem not to realise
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#404  Postby Sadegh » Aug 29, 2015 7:52 am

For my part, I would probably vote for Bernie Sanders if I thought he stood a real chance of winning. Oh well, dat median voter theorem tho

As long as social justice warriors continue lumping me in with e.g. Holocaust deniers, I will continue to treat them with contempt.
(War is beautiful because it initiates the dreamed-of metalization of the human body.)

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#405  Postby Nicko » Aug 30, 2015 10:16 am

Sadegh wrote:For my part, I would probably vote for Bernie Sanders if I thought he stood a real chance of winning.

If he wins the Democratic Party nomination, he will stand a real chance of winning.

If he doesn't win the nomination, it's my understanding that he won't be running.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#406  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Aug 30, 2015 10:34 am

It's crazy how a term like "social justice warrior", which only seems to denote a positive thing - what could be better than fighting for social justice ? - has become a pejorative. Very telling about our times.

Using such a term to express their sentiments really says all about the people who have come to use it as a pejorative. "You're such a ...such a...good person! It''s disgusting!" If that is what you have come to use to insult the other side, you've already lost the argument.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#407  Postby Skinny Puppy » Aug 30, 2015 11:00 am

Arjan Dirkse wrote:It's crazy how a term like "social justice warrior", which only seems to denote a positive thing - what could be better than fighting for social justice ? - has become a pejorative. Very telling about our times.

Using such a term to express their sentiments really says all about the people who have come to use it as a pejorative. "You're such a ...such a...good person! It''s disgusting!" If that is what you have come to use to insult the other side, you've already lost the argument.

You’ve hit the nail on the head.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#408  Postby Sadegh » Aug 30, 2015 11:08 am

What could be wrong with a democratic people's republic? It seems like you hate democracy and the people.

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#409  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 30, 2015 11:09 am

Sadegh wrote:What could be wrong with a democratic people's republic? It seems like you hate democracy and the people.

Who are you talking to?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#410  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Aug 30, 2015 11:31 am

Sadegh wrote:What could be wrong with a democratic people's republic? It seems like you hate democracy and the people.

Yeah but it isn't their opponents who called them that, those places gave themselves that name. It's not like Reagan invented the name to use it sarcastically! :grin: Really, if the worst accusation your opponents can make is being a whiny sjw, then that is a terribly weak position for them to be in.

"What you're doing is sexist. Please don't ogle me all the time, and grab your dick, make sexual innuendo, and lick your lips everytime I'm in your vicinity."

"O WTF, you bitch! Don't be such a social justice warrior."

Of course there are instances when I could see the sjw epithet legitimately being used sarcastically...but the examples used in the video in the OP are not such instances. It just seems like the ranting of some rather loathsome white dude calling everybody who calls him on his offensive bullshit social justice warriors....some of the most morally confused nonsense ever.

Really, it seems similar to using the term "politically correct". What's bad about being correct? Most of the times the people being accused of being p.c. are just c.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#411  Postby Skinny Puppy » Aug 30, 2015 11:47 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Who are you talking to?

It appears to me to be a rhetorical question with an analogy tacked onto it to emphasize how words aren’t always indicative of their literal meaning and it’s an example of a logical fallacy.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#412  Postby Nicko » Aug 30, 2015 12:11 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:It's crazy how a term like "social justice warrior", which only seems to denote a positive thing - what could be better than fighting for social justice ? - has become a pejorative. Very telling about our times.

As has already been explained, "Social Justice Warrior" means no such thing.

It refers to someone who advocates for social justice issues in such an absurd manner as to raise serious doubts as to their intelligence and/or actual commitment to solving the issues they claim to care about.

It is most definitely not a claim that, "You're such a ...such a...good person! It''s disgusting!". The kindest meaning that it can have is that of "moron".
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#413  Postby Sadegh » Aug 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:"What you're doing is sexist. Please don't ogle me all the time, and grab your dick, make sexual innuendo, and lick your lips everytime I'm in your vicinity."

Which were a knockdown rebuttal if virtually everything social justice warriors complain about isn't like that at all.

For example: I've been informed of my "obligation" to cross the street if walking behind a woman at night. How about no?

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#414  Postby Skinny Puppy » Aug 30, 2015 12:27 pm

Sadegh wrote:
Arjan Dirkse wrote:"What you're doing is sexist. Please don't ogle me all the time, and grab your dick, make sexual innuendo, and lick your lips everytime I'm in your vicinity."

Which were a knockdown rebuttal if virtually everything social justice warriors complain about isn't like that at all.

For example: I've been informed of my "obligation" to cross the street if walking behind a woman at night. How about no?

Could you not just move to another city and avoid the problem altogether?

And please don’t say: “But, but what if it happens again in that city?”

We all know that there are plenty of cities in the USA.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#415  Postby proudfootz » Aug 30, 2015 12:35 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:

Yeah but it isn't their opponents who called them that, those places gave themselves that name. It's not like Reagan invented the name to use it sarcastically! :grin: Really, if the worst accusation your opponents can make is being a whiny sjw, then that is a terribly weak position for them to be in.

"What you're doing is sexist. Please don't ogle me all the time, and grab your dick, make sexual innuendo, and lick your lips everytime I'm in your vicinity."

Of course there are instances when I could see the sjw epithet legitimately being used sarcastically...but the examples used in the video in the OP are not such instances. It just seems like the ranting of some rather loathsome white dude calling everybody who calls him on his offensive bullshit social justice warriors....some of the most morally confused nonsense ever.

Really, it seems similar to using the term "politically correct". What's bad about being correct? Most of the times the people being accused of being p.c. are just c.

Yes, the idiotic video in the OP is about par for the course.

The bullying behavior of the Gamergaters just confirms the suspicion that there's a lot of angry folks looking for scapegoats.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#416  Postby Sadegh » Aug 30, 2015 12:43 pm

SJWs are probably the biggest non-bullies in the world. /sarc

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#417  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 30, 2015 1:02 pm

Nicko wrote:

As has already been explained, "Social Justice Warrior" means no such thing.

It refers to someone who advocates for social justice issues in such an absurd manner as to raise serious doubts as to their intelligence and/or actual commitment to solving the issues they claim to care about.

It is most definitely not a claim that, "You're such a ...such a...good person! It''s disgusting!". The kindest meaning that it can have is that of "moron".

On the other hand, SJW, in my experience, does get thrown around more and more and more often at any person or group of people who are fighting against social injustice. In that sense I think Arjan is right that it get's used as a term of blind dismissal rather.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#418  Postby Sadegh » Aug 30, 2015 1:07 pm

Never seen SJW used against those opposed to mountaintop removal mining.

Never seen SJW used against those opposed to private prisons.

Never seen SJW used against those opposed to mandatory ultrasounds prior to an abortion.

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#419  Postby Sadegh » Aug 30, 2015 1:07 pm

Have seen it used against people demanding MUH TRIGGER WARNINGS etc.

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#420  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Sadegh wrote:Never seen SJW used against those opposed to mountaintop removal mining.

Never seen SJW used against those opposed to private prisons.

Never seen SJW used against those opposed to mandatory ultrasounds prior to an abortion.

Good for you.
Rather irrelevant though as there are maaaaany more social issues than the 3 you mentioned above.
I've seen SJW used against those that advocate for gender neutral passports.
I've seen SJW used against those who advocate for language awareness vis a vis racism, sexism etc.
I've seen SJW used against those who expressed dislike for jokes made by certain comedians.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion