Is Science Too Expensive?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Is Science Too Expensive?

#1  Postby UltimoReducto » Mar 06, 2018 11:49 pm

Science needs more funding.

But non-Science needs more funding even more. Starving children can’t eat a test tube. Everything competes for scarce resources. So it would be a crime to give Science more funding, at the expense of something else, based on what it needs rather than what it earns. But if we want more science, we can certainly have it, by making science cheaper.

I think Science is being made artificially expensive, just like Hollywood movies. They didn’t used to cost $500,000,000 and not even be able to afford a tripod. It’s the cartel premise. Replacing competition with cooperation gives you control. Most studies are not reproducible. Most people wouldn’t even want them done in the first place. A recent survey about the 75% lesbian obesity rate cost 8 figures. You could give every lesbian on the planet a gym membership for that price. It didn’t even investigate biological factors like hormones. No, an ethics board didn’t strike that down; it was never in the plans to begin with. It was just a questionnaire passed out to a handful of lesbian people. I could do it for the price of the stamps. Why on Earth did it cost so much?

That’s not an exceptional case, but Biology in particular has been softened across the board, and this facilitates both industry, and government programs to push unqualified people into STEM. More people competing for laboratory and journal space directly drives up cost. Less rigor drives up fraud. The tobacco science model was never the real scam. Industry doesn’t pay off a few scientists here and there. They pay the university. The university compartmentalizes bureaucratic Scientists, and then the politicians who run their trade associations do the speaking on their behalf. More money makes Science more of a honey pot.

Science needs zero funding and it needs to go to jail for all the funding it has wasted thus far. Let’s take the money out of Science and give it back to we the people.

Discuss:
UltimoReducto

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Is Science Too Expensive?

#2  Postby Thommo » Mar 07, 2018 12:01 am

It rather feels like you're being deliberately silly.
Thommo

Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 07, 2018 12:04 am

If there were enough more investment of resources in social science research/implementation there would be 0 starving children before long.
The only people who think the killing of George Floyd was racist are racists.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#4  Postby MarkS » Mar 07, 2018 12:06 am

OK I'll bite.

Science has made it possible to feed 7 billion people, those children would all be dead if it wasn't for the huge improvements in food production efficiency over the last 60 -70 years. Novel technologies make everything more efficient (including the means to kill more efficiently of course) and save many many times the money put into research. Plus you don't know which research will ultimately pay off in a completely different area. Your lesbian example may lead to something completely unexpected that benefits everyone.

I don't know if you are entirely serious but I would have to question the motives of someone who wished to curtail research into areas they perceive as "PC gone mad" or whatever.
“Commander Vimes didn't like the phrase 'The innocent have nothing to fear', believing the innocent had everything to fear, mostly from the guilty but in the longer term even more from those who say things like 'The innocent have nothing to fear'.”
MarkS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 07, 2018 6:31 am

Keep It Real wrote:If there were enough more investment of resources in social science research/implementation there would be 0 starving children before long.

You know why that is, don't you? It's because too many social scientists are chasing what basically is still a shit-ton of funding. Do you have any idea how much easier it is to become a psychobabbler than it is to become a scientist? If you have any economic theory at your disposal, you'll know how to pursue the consequences of this bit of wisdom.

But let's look at your conjecture, for a moment. As soon as we solve the problem of too many starving children, we are going to encounter the problem of not having enough toys and playing fields to go around. They're not making any more new real estate, unless you want to send those kids to Mars, like Elon Musk does. Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids. In fact, it's cold as hell. Me, KIR? I'm childless, so I'm not contributing to the problem of starving kids in one very specific way.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#6  Postby zulumoose » Mar 07, 2018 6:47 am

zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Blackadder » Mar 07, 2018 9:07 am

Co-operation already takes place in large scale science projects. How many countries are involved in the LHC? To say there is no co-operation is untrue.

Competition on smaller scale research, particularly in areas where there are potential commercial applications, yields spectacularly faster results than centrally planned efforts. I’d like to know which centrally planned economy came up with the semi-conductor, LCDs, MRI, cellphones, GPS and fibre-optic broadband. I’m not saying that centrally planned economies didn’t research these areas or couldn’t turn them into useful applications. But if you want to turn research into usable technology and put it into the hands of ordinary people, the fastest way is to have a commercial incentive and that means allowing competition.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Rumraket » Mar 07, 2018 10:19 am

UltimoReducto wrote: But if we want more science, we can certainly have it, by making science cheaper.

How?
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#9  Postby newolder » Mar 07, 2018 11:08 am

World expenditure on "Research and Development" in 2015 was below 2.25% of GDP*. Too expensive, my arse.

*World Bank source
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Macdoc » Mar 07, 2018 6:20 pm

by making science cheaper.

Most scientists I know work for a relative pittance ....they are poorly served by society as far as job security and pay.

BTW cheaper is not always better .......science doesn't work on the lowest bidder crap.

How about ranting about overpaid politicians and bankers instead of hard working scientists..
..I'm beginning to think you are a right wing troll given this kind of nonsense.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Seabass » Mar 07, 2018 8:12 pm

I would have become a scientist had I known I could make 8 figures by studying a handful of lesbian people.
Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby laklak » Mar 07, 2018 8:22 pm

They spent that much money to study fat lesbians? FFS, take a trip to Asheville and go to Malaprops bookstore for an afternoon Erotic Feminist Poetry Reading. Take notes. And bring one of those sticky lint roller things, your jacket is gonna be covered in leg hair.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby The_Piper » Mar 07, 2018 8:38 pm

I have relatives in Ayasheviyull. :shifty:
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Oldskeptic » Mar 07, 2018 8:47 pm

UltimoReducto wrote:Science needs more funding.

But non-Science needs more funding even more. Starving children can’t eat a test tube.

No, but they can certainly eat genetically modified foods and drink clean water and pastuerized milk.

UltimoReducto wrote: Everything competes for scarce resources.

I think someone's been watching too many David Attenborough nature films.

UltimoReducto wrote:I think Science is being made artificially expensive, just like Hollywood movies. They didn’t used to cost $500,000,000 and not even be able to afford a tripod. It’s the cartel premise. Replacing competition with cooperation gives you control. Most studies are not reproducible. Most people wouldn’t even want them done in the first place. A recent survey about the 75% lesbian obesity rate cost 8 figures. You could give every lesbian on the planet a gym membership for that price. It didn’t even investigate biological factors like hormones. No, an ethics board didn’t strike that down; it was never in the plans to begin with. It was just a questionnaire passed out to a handful of lesbian people. I could do it for the price of the stamps. Why on Earth did it cost so much?

It didn't,it cost ~$700,000 a year for five years - $3,500,000 in total, not somewhere in the 8 figures range. Nor was it merely a "questionnaire passed out to a handful of lesbians".

Just wondering - Are you planning on staying on here after Teague's suspension is up?
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby SkyMutt » Mar 07, 2018 11:39 pm

Somebody from the US focussing on the amount spent on science, and self-righteously declaring that science funding should be eliminated entirely is comically absurd. Thanks for the laugh.
Serious, but not entirely serious.

"The charm of a man is measured by the charm of the women who think he is a scoundrel."
— H. L. Mencken
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 07, 2018 11:39 pm

UltimoReducto wrote:
Science needs zero funding and it needs to go to jail for all the funding it has wasted thus far. Let us take the money
out of Science and give it back to we the people

So no funding for research into cancer or malaria or AIDS or every other currently incurable disease. Or for testing new pharmaceuticals. Or for training the next generation of surgeons and doctors and nurses. Or for building new hospitals
Simply give all the money back to the people and everything will be just fine

The machine you used to communicate your thoughts is a product of science
Do you know what a world totally devoid of science would actually look like
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#17  Postby BlackBart » Mar 08, 2018 7:05 am

I wanna say something on the internet! I wanna say something on the internet! Um....um...um... Science...is um...too ...um....expensive!!! Yeah that's right!! Science is too expensive!!! So there!!!!
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 08, 2018 7:15 am

surreptitious57 wrote:
Do you know what a world totally devoid of science would actually look like

Yeah. There would be no guns, knives, or nooses to shoot, behead, or hang the evildoers.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#19  Postby aban57 » Mar 08, 2018 10:54 am

UltimoReducto wrote: A recent survey about the 75% lesbian obesity rate cost 8 figures. You could give every lesbian on the planet a gym membership for that price.

How would you know this is a good solution if you don't study the subject first ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#20  Postby felltoearth » Mar 08, 2018 11:11 am

aban57 wrote:
UltimoReducto wrote: A recent survey about the 75% lesbian obesity rate cost 8 figures. You could give every lesbian on the planet a gym membership for that price.

How would you know this is a good solution if you don't study the subject first ?

I would like a citation for the study. I'm calling BS.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion