Laklak et al ...batten down the hatches

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Laklak et al ...batten down the hatches

#181  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 12, 2017 6:40 pm

crank wrote:They're not fish in a can? I googled because I wasn't sure, I knew it was some kind of fish thing. I saw images like this

but more thorough googling >> oops. Turns out that was a red herring HAHAHAHAHA I've over-googled, TMI, anyways, it oiley headed gutted butterflied salted smoked pickled fish. Still just doesn't do for me.

No no no nd no again. Mine were fine fillets of smoked whatever fish they use. I grill them lightly usually but due to imbibing a few drams my mind was mildly distracted until the smoke alarm informed me my evening meal, colloquially referred to as tea here was indeed a burnt offering.

I wouldn't touch that canned stuff.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#182  Postby crank » Sep 12, 2017 6:49 pm

It's just ahole me taking the piss. I'd probably like your Scottish breakfast version. I think it was the idea of cooking up some weird fish-thing for tea that sorta threw me, but then I'm always throwed off, as many tell me all the time.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#183  Postby crank » Sep 12, 2017 6:50 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
crank wrote:They're not fish in a can? I googled because I wasn't sure, I knew it was some kind of fish thing. I saw images like this

but more thorough googling >> oops. Turns out that was a red herring HAHAHAHAHA I've over-googled, TMI, anyways, it oiley headed gutted butterflied salted smoked pickled fish. Still just doesn't do for me.

No no no nd no again. Mine were fine fillets of smoked whatever fish they use. I grill them lightly usually but due to imbibing a few drams my mind was mildly distracted until the smoke alarm informed me my evening meal, colloquially referred to as tea here was indeed a burnt offering.

I wouldn't touch that canned stuff.

If you was cajun, you coulda tried deciding you'd gone in for blackened kippers.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#184  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 12, 2017 7:48 pm

No,.this was charcoal verging on ash. Way way beyond food. Even Cletus would've noticed something was wrong by the second mouthful
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#185  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 12, 2017 10:04 pm

A kipper:

A smoked herring. There is nothing wild about them.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#186  Postby Animavore » Sep 13, 2017 9:45 am

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#187  Postby Agrippina » Sep 13, 2017 12:20 pm

Evolving wrote:I've never seen a kipper in a tin. A kipper, as I know it, is a smoked (not pickled) herring, yellow of hue, and served with butter for breakfast in Scotland, where the nearest fish is never further than a kilometre away.

I've spent the greater part of my life in southern Germany, where we certainly don't eat fish for breakfast, but I'm open to other cultures and their ways, and when I was in Scotland, I enjoyed their breakfast kippers very much indeed!

Kippers are lovely for breakfast. haven't had them for years because the OH is not too keen, and I really do try not to eat animals. But there are some things I can't resist, and a kipper on toast is one of them. Smoked hake, known as haddock, is also nice for breakfast. Steamed in a butter sauce with tomato slices, yummy. I've just made a batch of fried hake for himself to have cold with salads for supper because summer arrived three months before winter was supposed to be done. Just skipped spring.

On the subject of sardines in cans. Buy the fat Portuguese ones, mash them up with fresh lemon juice, and make a brown bread sandwich with them. Fond memories of when mother-in-law was being decent.

http://johnwest.com.au/our-range/specialty-seafood/sardines
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#188  Postby Agrippina » Sep 13, 2017 12:24 pm

crank wrote:It's just ahole me taking the piss. I'd probably like your Scottish breakfast version. I think it was the idea of cooking up some weird fish-thing for tea that sorta threw me, but then I'm always throwed off, as many tell me all the time.

Yeah, the thing about dinner being called "tea" gets me too. To me "tea" is four o'clock in the afternoon with tea brewed in a pot, and served using beautiful china, with scones slathered in cream and strawberry jam, and Dundee cake on the side.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g312608-d575368-i38459459-The_Oyster_Box-Umhlanga_Rocks_KwaZulu_Natal.html

This is where we are going for the OH's ex-company's retirees luncheon in November. The most expensive restaurants on our east coast, with the most delicious food. Those pics are what tea should look like.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#189  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 13, 2017 1:02 pm

The same goes for lunch, dinner and supper. It is a class and work situation. When I was in primary school we had dinner at lunch time and you bought 'dinner' tickets. In my secondary school we had lunch at lunch time and dinner when you came home. In my secondary school you bought 'lunch' tickets. My secondary school was in a more upmarket area than my primary school.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#190  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Nah, in't north of England, it's breakfast, dinner, tea. Dinner in the evening is for posh folks and mamby pamby southern shandy drinkers. Tea time is also whenever you put the kettle on, any time of day. We don't need a manual to know the difference
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#191  Postby willhud9 » Sep 13, 2017 2:09 pm

In the world of willhud9 its eat when you can because you are too sleepy in the morning for breakfast, too busy at work for lunch, and too tired after work for dinner.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#192  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 13, 2017 2:27 pm

I have always had a problem with supper. Supper used to be taken after the opera. In Scotland you talk of a pudding supper which is chips with a deep fried battered black or white pudding.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#193  Postby Agrippina » Sep 13, 2017 2:56 pm

And when you're old and get indigestion if you eat too late at night. So you have dinner at five o'clock so you can go to bed at 8. Sigh.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#194  Postby The_Piper » Sep 13, 2017 3:07 pm

Tea time is 4:20 p.m. here. :naughty2:
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#195  Postby Evolving » Sep 13, 2017 3:22 pm

Agrippina wrote:
Evolving wrote:I've never seen a kipper in a tin. A kipper, as I know it, is a smoked (not pickled) herring, yellow of hue, and served with butter for breakfast in Scotland, where the nearest fish is never further than a kilometre away.

I've spent the greater part of my life in southern Germany, where we certainly don't eat fish for breakfast, but I'm open to other cultures and their ways, and when I was in Scotland, I enjoyed their breakfast kippers very much indeed!

Kippers are lovely for breakfast. haven't had them for years because the OH is not too keen, and I really do try not to eat animals. But there are some things I can't resist, and a kipper on toast is one of them. Smoked hake, known as haddock, is also nice for breakfast. Steamed in a butter sauce with tomato slices, yummy. I've just made a batch of fried hake for himself to have cold with salads for supper because summer arrived three months before winter was supposed to be done. Just skipped spring.

On the subject of sardines in cans. Buy the fat Portuguese ones, mash them up with fresh lemon juice, and make a brown bread sandwich with them. Fond memories of when mother-in-law was being decent.

Smoked haddock is very nice too, I totally agree!
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#196  Postby Agrippina » Sep 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Evolving wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

Smoked haddock is very nice too, I totally agree!

Done with a cream sauce, covered in mashed potato and baked in the oven.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#197  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Arbroath Smokies.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#198  Postby crank » Sep 14, 2017 9:47 am

Animavore wrote:

There wasn't any rimming in that video. WTF. I won't fall for that one again.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#199  Postby zulumoose » Sep 14, 2017 10:40 am

I was in Scotland 2 years ago, and as a lover of Kippers I was looking forward to genuine Scottish kippers for breakfast.
NOWHERE I went knew what I was talking about, apparently only the rest of the world thinks kippers is a Scottish thing, apparently it is actually an English thing. It's a bit like Americans thinking chips are French fries. Maybe they have good kippers in Scotland, but it wasn't on the menu in any Scottish pubs and restaurants while I was there and I asked everywhere I went. Haggis however is EVERYWHERE, even in fast food places, and it is lovely. I thought it was only brought out for special occasions.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#200  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 14, 2017 11:41 am

You wont find them on pub food menu or in restaurants. A few old fashioned B&B's might have them. They are not that readily available. In modern hotels breakfasts are fairly standard European affairs with maybe a Scottish breakfast as an alternative.
Supermarkets will have them in the deep freeze.

I think scarcity is due to the smell as it is very dominating in other words they stink and not just a little bit.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion