Loud pipes save lives?

Bullshit, I say

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Loud pipes save lives?

#1  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 13, 2018 7:24 pm

I just ran across an article in which the speaker was railing against noise standards for motorcycles. Jesus. It always comes around, this ridiculous trope: “Loud pipes save lives.”. The claim appears to be that loud aftermarket exhaust somehow contributes to rider safety.

I say that claim is crap.

I’ve never found a study showing modified motorcycles to be under represented in crash statistics. I have searched for it, without success.

You guys have any thoughts on this?
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Loud pipes save lives?

#2  Postby laklak » Jun 13, 2018 7:38 pm

I feel the same way about loud bikes as I do about those assholes who "roll coal" in their diesels.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 13, 2018 7:56 pm

I'm with you, man. I left the OEM pipes on my street bob. It meets noise standards everywhere on earth.

Could it go faster with straight pipes? Probably. So what? For chrissakes, the goddamned machine has a 1.7L motor. That isn't enough for street use?

How do these chimps with diesels make them belt out that black smoke, anyway? They must be fucking with the fuel delivery somehow. I'm satisfied keeping my 6.5L diesel (and my Harley) running as designed.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Macdoc » Jun 13, 2018 8:16 pm

Probably not faster- modern engines require back pressure....problem in Ontario is half the cops ride Hardlies and don't give a shit about loud pipes despite the bylaws.
Any rider with loud pipes gets banished to the back of the ride groupp
Immature assholes generally sums it up. :nono:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby theropod » Jun 13, 2018 9:09 pm

Reminds me of a cross country bike ride I took in the late summer of 1973. One of the mufflers on my little Honda twin broke a weld and literally fell off. To keep one cylinder from leaning out I had to remove the other, and retune the bike to run with very little back pressure. This happened about 50 miles east of Rock Springs, Wyoming on Interstate 84. The sound of that high rev engine dumping raw exhaust just behind the foot pegs was absolute torture. I broke filters off cigarettes and stuffed them in my ear canals, and even with my “ear plugs” and my helmet it was agony. As soon as I could find a bike shop I bought a new set of replacement mufflers with a clamping system to bypass the factory welding. I swear I suffered high frequency hearing loss from the 300 miles riding like that, and now every time I hear a loud bike I cringe.

Safer? Certainly not for the rider/passenger’s hearing. I actually think a loud machine suddenly appearing could easily shock another motorist into over reacting, or being startled, and creating a safety issue.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Oooh, fun exhaust memory!

When I was young, I bought what I call a mini bike. Something like this, but not this sophisticated:

The exhaust on mine was a piece of 1” metal conduit, threaded on one end. That conduit was threaded identically to the exhaust port of the little engine on my bike. The jam nut on that piece of conduit kept rattling loose. Sometimes, the pipe would completely detach.

No big deal, I’d just screw the thing back in and keep riding.

While stopped between my dad’s shiny new ‘75 Dodge pickup truck and our propane storage tank, that pipe rattled loose and fell off. A spark from the open exhaust port ignited the gasoline that often leaked from the carburetor.

I was not able to blow out the small flame. A flame which rapidly turned into a big flame. Dad dragged it away from his new truck, but closer to the huge propane tank. By then, the rubber fuel line had burned away and the gasoline was boiling with increasing pressure inside the bike’s fuel tank, turning the fuel petcock into a nice flame thrower.

Everyone knows you don’t use water on a fuel fire. So first, we made hot gravel and sand by shoveling that useless gesture onto my flaming mini bike. Then, we burned up a perfectly good canvas tarp. We finally tried the nearby garden hose, which extinguished the fire in two seconds.

My bike was slag.

God damned after market exhaust pipes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Calilasseia » Jun 13, 2018 10:54 pm

Aftermarket exhausts here in the UK are expensive. Akrapovic is one of the makers, and their products include various lines of expensively tooled carbon fibre and titanium exhausts. You can easily blow £2,000 on top end replacement exhausts for a Ducati motorcycle if you shop with them. A Yoshimura carbon can for a Suzuki Hayabusa can be £1,200, and a race spec can pushes that to £1,500. Which means that here in the UK, you pay as much as 12% of the cost of your entire motorcycle's brand new list price to have an aftermarket exhaust fitted.

As for cars, well ... Akrapovic make aftermarket exhausts for Ferraris and Lamborghinis, and that alone tells you you're looking at serious money. £4,000 for an aftermarket system for a Gallardo.

With price tags like those, your average teenager isn't going to be buying one soon.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby laklak » Jun 14, 2018 3:07 am

The_Metatron wrote:How do these chimps with diesels make them belt out that black smoke, anyway? They must be fucking with the fuel delivery somehow. I'm satisfied keeping my 6.5L diesel (and my Harley) running as designed.

Yeah they reprogram the computer to dump more fuel, apparently you can get the hacks anywhere. Fucking idiots. Only works with newer engines, though. To make my old Detroits do that you'd have to change injectors 'cuz there isn't a single digital anything on them, even the injector system is entirely mechanical. That would be a really, really stupid thing to do and probably seriously damage the engine over time.

Actually, if you want smoke, just start them. They belch pretty good until everything gets to operating temps.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Hermit » Jun 14, 2018 3:24 am

laklak wrote:Actually, if you want smoke, just start them. They belch pretty good until everything gets to operating temps.

My first truck was a seven year old Hino KL300. I called it "Hill Detector". All my colleagues referred to it as "The Bushfire". The injectors were way out of whack. Hot or cold, it created a huge cloud of very dark brown smoke every time I stepped on the loud pedal. Beats me how the cops or the EPA never pinged me for that in the just over two years I owned it.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jun 14, 2018 11:34 pm

Just another one of those where someone likes something dangerous or annoying, so they come up with some bullshit reasoning afterwards. Kinda like gun nuts or fox hunters. You can't have a reasonable debate with someone about their hobby.

I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby OlivierK » Jun 15, 2018 12:19 am

There one dickhead in my street with a bike with loud pipes. An ancient and unreliable piece of shit bike it is, too. On the up side, that means it doesn't get ridden very often. On the down side, to get it fit to ride, he often spends a few hours idling the fucker in his driveway tuning it a couple of days before he takes it out. Haven't heard it for a while, hope posting about it doesn't send some hint through the ether for him to get interested in getting it out again.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby laklak » Jun 15, 2018 2:42 am

Got a guy like that in our neighborhood, but he's only here in the winter. Nobody says anything to him because he's fucking crazy as shit.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Calilasseia » Jun 19, 2018 3:32 am

This sprang to mind ... WARNING: EARWORM ...

Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Macdoc » Jun 19, 2018 11:18 am

here one dickhead in my street with a bike with loud pipes. An ancient and unreliable piece of shit bike it is, too. On the up side, that means it doesn't get ridden very often. On the down side, to get it fit to ride, he often spends a few hours idling the fucker in his driveway tuning it a couple of days before he takes it out.

call the noise bylaw people every single time and make a complaint....harassment works two ways. :D
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby hoopy frood » Jul 12, 2018 2:58 am

The_Metatron wrote:You guys have any thoughts on this?

I agree it's [mostly] crap and not a good reason for having em. If you want some engine noise, it's easy enough to clutch and blip the throttle. Why would you though when you have a perfectly good horn you could use. Sensible use of horns saves lives. Riding with your lights on saves lives, high beam in daylight ideally. I still see plenty bikers in Scotland, both natives and tourists, who don't use their lights in daytime and never use their horn to alert other road-users to their presence, which is its sole intended purpose. Going with high-visibilty is another essential. I see some bikers in camouflage jackets. Go figure.
I don’t think we’re for anything, we’re just products of evolution. You can say “Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don’t think there’s a purpose,” but I’m anticipating a good lunch.

Theology: The study of elaborate verbal disguises for non-ideas
hoopy frood

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#16  Postby ElDiablo » Jul 12, 2018 4:31 am

How many times have you only heard a loud bike when it was beside you? Plenty for me. By the time I hear them, they are too close to avoid unless I'm sitting in traffic at a dead stop.
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Macdoc » Jul 12, 2018 5:16 am

Riding with your lights on saves lives, high beam in daylight ideally.

No....you use the highbeam as a warning like the horn ....it's the change in light intensity that catches attention ...high beams all the time annoy other drivers, are illegal in some areas and do nothing.

Modulated headlights are great.

About half way through are the headlights
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm

hoopy frood wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:You guys have any thoughts on this?

I agree it's [mostly] crap and not a good reason for having em. If you want some engine noise, it's easy enough to clutch and blip the throttle. Why would you though when you have a perfectly good horn you could use. Sensible use of horns saves lives. Riding with your lights on saves lives, high beam in daylight ideally. I still see plenty bikers in Scotland, both natives and tourists, who don't use their lights in daytime and never use their horn to alert other road-users to their presence, which is its sole intended purpose. Going with high-visibilty is another essential. I see some bikers in camouflage jackets. Go figure.

I have owned a commercially manufactured motorcycles made as early as 1964. I’ve never seen one on which it was even a possibility for the engine to run without the headlight on. It’s wired to the ignition switch. I’ve never understood this discussion.

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 12, 2018 4:04 pm

While I don’t have a reference for it, I did read a study done by the USAF safety people that showed no added benefit to high visibility vests or jackets in reducing crashes. For some twenty years, such equipment was mandated for all motorcycle operators on DoD campuses, and for active duty people, everywhere. For a couple of years now, that requirement has been removed.

They actually used facts to reach that decision. I was impressed. They sure as fuck didn’t rely on facts when they implemented it in the 1980s.

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby theropod » Jul 13, 2018 12:27 am

The trouble with flashing/strobing headlights is sometimes this adversely effects incoming traffic vision. Just today a train passed near the freeway, and when I first saw the flashing light on the oncoming locomotive it startled me. I was concentrating on the insane Colorado drivers around me too much to even notice the tracks running along the interstate to my right. I thought, at that first instant, that an emergency vehicle was stopped in my lane. Not a comfortable situation doing 75 MPH in a NASCAR mixed class pace lap.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion