Man plans home-made rocket trip to prove flat Earth.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Man plans home-made rocket trip to prove flat Earth.

#161  Postby newolder » Feb 24, 2020 10:32 pm

He was a complete numpty as he held a complete numpty opinion on the shape of the planet. Even the linked article has an embedded link to a selection of cheaper disproofs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#162  Postby rplatell » Feb 25, 2020 4:13 am

Well he may not have succeeded in proving that the world is flat, but he sure did confirm the law of gravity.
rplatell

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#163  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 25, 2020 5:44 am

rplatell wrote:Well he may not have succeeded in proving that the world is flat, but he sure did confirm the law of gravity.

And evolution by natural selection.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#164  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 25, 2020 6:01 am

rplatell wrote:Well he may not have succeeded in proving that the world is flat, but he sure did confirm the law of gravity.

Could probably work out a thing or two about the hardness of the earth.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#165  Postby monkeyboy » Feb 25, 2020 7:23 am

The_Metatron wrote:

Could probably work out a thing or two about the hardness of the earth.

Although to be fair, those things can be experienced and demonstrated from simpler devices such as a step ladder, allowing for repeated experiments..not sure his would be the best way forwards unless more flat earthers fancy becoming flat liners
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#166  Postby scott1328 » Feb 28, 2020 1:32 pm

I guess now we'll never know if the Earth is flat or not. :(
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#167  Postby TopCat » Feb 28, 2020 1:49 pm

No, he confirmed that the Earth continues to accelerate upwards at 1g.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#168  Postby scott1328 » Feb 28, 2020 2:18 pm

TopCat wrote:

What's the difference?
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#169  Postby TopCat » Feb 28, 2020 2:45 pm

scott1328 wrote:
TopCat wrote:

What's the difference?

The difference is that Flat Earthers deny the existence of gravity.

Some of them insist that our experience of gravity is due to the earth accelerating upwards at 1g.

The (even) more moronic ones even deny that, and insist that it's all due to buoyancy.

You and I know, of course, that buoyancy is a consequence of gravity, not a cause of its effects, but it's a mistake to think that in using sciency-sounding words they are in any way capable of rational argument - either making one, or understanding one.

The best way to experience FE 'theory' is late at night, with red wine and YouTube.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#170  Postby scott1328 » Feb 28, 2020 3:16 pm

TopCat wrote:
scott1328 wrote:
TopCat wrote:

What's the difference?

The difference is that Flat Earthers deny the existence of gravity.

Some of them insist that our experience of gravity is due to the earth accelerating upwards at 1g.

The (even) more moronic ones even deny that, and insist that it's all due to buoyancy.

You and I know, of course, that buoyancy is a consequence of gravity, not a cause of its effects, but it's a mistake to think that in using sciency-sounding words they are in any way capable of rational argument - either making one, or understanding one.

The best way to experience FE 'theory' is late at night, with red wine and YouTube.

Alas, I guess my comment wasn't as clever as I thought. :nono:
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#171  Postby OlivierK » Feb 28, 2020 9:38 pm

SkyMutt wrote:He knew that 5,000 feet was insufficient to achieve his objective. He wasn't a complete numpty (he already had got off the ground and returned successfully in contraptions of his own devising): This would be best understood as a test flight.

Would flat-Earth-believer Hughes have been able to see our planet's sphere at 5,000 feet (1,524 m)? Nope. And he knew that, saying he would need to soar past the so-called Kármán line — where the sky ends and space begins, or roughly 62 miles (100 kilometers) above Earth — to see the curvature with his own eyes.

To do that, Hughes told the Associated Press in 2018 that he wanted to build a "Rockoon," or rocket/gas-balloon-hybrid. That, he said, would let him float high into the atmosphere before lighting the rocket's fuse to boost him even farther into the air.

The fuck?

You can see curvature standing on a beach and looking at the horizon.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#172  Postby Fallible » Feb 28, 2020 10:37 pm

:lol:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#173  Postby jamest » Feb 29, 2020 1:08 am

The idea that you could possibly see a flat earth for infinity at ground level (on the beach) is nuts. I'm not a flat Earther by the way, but even if the Earth was flat I seriously doubt you'd be able to see/detect [say] the Alps from England. So, at the very least, let's put that bad argument into room 101, along with the flat earth bullshit.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#174  Postby monkeyboy » Feb 29, 2020 3:48 am

Are you new to these flat earthers? Nuts don't come close. They have hand selected, cherry picked actual science, pseudo science, conspiracy theory, made up shit and a whole bunch of deeply held conviction and conclusion on their side. You can't just rock up with common sense and hand wave their bullshit aside.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#175  Postby jamest » Feb 29, 2020 4:35 am

monkeyboy wrote:Are you new to these flat earthers? Nuts don't come close. They have hand selected, cherry picked actual science, pseudo science, conspiracy theory, made up shit and a whole bunch of deeply held conviction and conclusion on their side. You can't just rock up with common sense and hand wave their bullshit aside.

I've come across the flat earth debates here and there. I normally get bored after about 5 minutes of reading. I popped in here and happened to read OlivierK's remark about one can prove the curvature of the earth from a viewpoint on the beach, which sounds like bullshit to me. Though in this instance, since it isn't philosophy, I'll gladly accept any reasonable retort to the contrary.

As stated, I'm not a flat earther, just a champion of reason. His beach statement pissed me off though. Even with 'perfect' eyesight, humans would still have an horizon of what they could see, even on a flat earth. Consequently, from the viewpoint of any beach, one might reasonably conclude that The Earth was not flat even if it was.

In other words, our capacity to see does not alone suffice to decide the argument either way.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#176  Postby OlivierK » Feb 29, 2020 9:18 am

jamest wrote:The idea that you could possibly see a flat earth for infinity at ground level (on the beach) is nuts. I'm not a flat Earther by the way, but even if the Earth was flat I seriously doubt you'd be able to see/detect [say] the Alps from England. So, at the very least, let's put that bad argument into room 101, along with the flat earth bullshit.

Yes, put that bullshit argument about seeing to infinity away. I'm not sure why you feel the need to bring up such bullshit only to dismiss it, but hopefully not because I posted this:
OlivierK wrote:You can see curvature standing on a beach and looking at the horizon.

You'll note that I didn't say anything about seeing to infinity, or even to the other side of the sea, I simply noted that you can see the curvature of the earth; the horizon is visibly curved. Here, have a random tourism pic of a beach:

Can you not see the curvature? If not, copy the photo into an image editor, and resize the photo to a quarter of its original width, while maintaining the height, and it will become painfully obvious.
Last edited by OlivierK on Feb 29, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#177  Postby campermon » Feb 29, 2020 9:23 am

jamest wrote:The idea that you could possibly see a flat earth for infinity at ground level (on the beach) is nuts. I'm not a flat Earther by the way, but even if the Earth was flat I seriously doubt you'd be able to see/detect [say] the Alps from England. So, at the very least, let's put that bad argument into room 101, along with the flat earth bullshit.

You can see the Moon from England and that's much further away than the Alps.

Think about it.

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#178  Postby OlivierK » Feb 29, 2020 9:31 am

jamest wrote:I've come across the flat earth debates here and there. I normally get bored after about 5 minutes of reading. I popped in here and happened to read OlivierK's remark about one can prove the curvature of the earth from a viewpoint on the beach, which sounds like bullshit to me. Though in this instance, since it isn't philosophy, I'll gladly accept any reasonable retort to the contrary.

You want a reasonable retort?

Go to a beach.

Look at the horizon.

Notice that it's curved.

Or, you know, you could stay sat in your living room, and say "sounds like bullshit to me". Given your general hostility to empiricism, I can't say I'm surprised.
Last edited by OlivierK on Feb 29, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#179  Postby campermon » Feb 29, 2020 9:31 am

jamest wrote:Though in this instance, since it isn't philosophy, I'll gladly accept any reasonable retort to the contrary.

An experiment:
1.Choose a beach with easy access to a cliff.*
2.From the beach, observe the sun setting over the horizon.
3.As soon as the sun completely dips below the horizon, quickly run to the top of the cliff.
4.Record your observations.

* I hear that Italy has some suitable beaches with the bonus of reasonably priced restaurants. :)
Examples

Assuming no atmospheric refraction and a spherical Earth with radius R=6,371 kilometres (3,959 mi):

For an observer standing on the ground with h = 1.70 metres (5 ft 7 in), the horizon is at a distance of 4.7 kilometres (2.9 mi).
For an observer standing on the ground with h = 2 metres (6 ft 7 in), the horizon is at a distance of 5 kilometres (3.1 mi).
For an observer standing on a hill or tower 30 metres (98 ft) above sea level, the horizon is at a distance of 19.6 kilometres (12.2 mi).
For an observer standing on a hill or tower 100 metres (330 ft) above sea level, the horizon is at a distance of 36 kilometres (22 mi).
For an observer standing on the roof of the Burj Khalifa, 828 metres (2,717 ft) from ground, and about 834 metres (2,736 ft) above sea level, the horizon is at a distance of 103 kilometres (64 mi).
For an observer atop Mount Everest (8,848 metres (29,029 ft) in altitude), the horizon is at a distance of 336 kilometres (209 mi).
For a U-2 pilot, whilst flying at its service ceiling 21,000 metres (69,000 ft), the horizon is at a distance of 521 kilometres (324 mi)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#180  Postby BlackBart » Feb 29, 2020 10:57 am

campermon wrote:
jamest wrote:Though in this instance, since it isn't philosophy, I'll gladly accept any reasonable retort to the contrary.

An experiment:
1.Choose a beach with easy access to a cliff.*
2.From the beach, observe the sun setting over the horizon.
3.As soon as the sun completely dips below the horizon, quickly run to the top of the cliff.
4.Record your observations.

:lol: I can recommend Son Bou beach in Menorca for this. There's a steep slope down to the beach. Mrs B and I ran down to the beach to catch the sunset and the sun went zip! below the horizon and we were like 'Oh!' So we ran back up the slope and caught the sunset again!
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion