Marijuana appreciation/education/information thread

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Marijuana appreciation/education/information thread

#21  Postby ConnyRaSk » Mar 19, 2010 10:20 pm

I'm all for legalizing cannabis.

My major concern is that, due to what we know now about how the brains of adolescents reorganize themselves at puberty, and cannabis consumption might cause later psychosis (more studies needed) if taken at this formative age, I'd like to find some way to make sure that the younger teens don't get a hold of it and consume it. Education would be the preferable way.
Other than that, quite the same as alcohol is dealt with nowadays, except since alcohol is a lot more dangerous, I'd like to see some more enforcement of the regulations for that drug.
Literature, fiction, poetry, whatever, makes justice in the world. That’s why it almost always has to be on the side of the underdog. ~Grace Paley
ConnyRaSk

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#22  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 19, 2010 10:34 pm

ConnyRaSk wrote:I'm all for legalizing cannabis.

My major concern is that, due to what we know now about how the brains of adolescents reorganize themselves at puberty, and cannabis consumption might cause later psychosis (more studies needed) if taken at this formative age, I'd like to find some way to make sure that the younger teens don't get a hold of it and consume it. Education would be the preferable way.

My understanding is, which is usually flawed, that marijuana does not cause these psychosis but can bring them out in people who are already predisposed. I am still for keeping marijuana in step with alcohol, it's not for kids.
OBC world summer tour! LA ~ May 8, Thrasho De Mayo / Saint Vitus ~ West Coast Tour, Seattle, Protland, SF, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas June 25 - July 1 / July 4th weekend LA / Scotland, Oct? / Come and say hi if you live near! (more TBA)
obscured by clouds

Name: Mr. Obscured By Clouds

Print view this post

#23  Postby Zukiwi » Mar 19, 2010 10:42 pm

Rollerlocked wrote:Are there any estimates floating around as to how much revenue taxes on legal MJ would raise?

According to an article in Business Week, it has the potential to transfer $40 billion to $100 billion in new revenue. Just a simple transfert from organised crime to public purse :grin:
Last.fm
from Shitmydadsays- "No, I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world shits on everybody. Pretending it ain't shit makes you an idiot, not an optimist."
" Un peuple informé est un peuple libre !" - René Lévesque
Zukiwi

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#24  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 19, 2010 10:43 pm

Zukiwi wrote:
Rollerlocked wrote:Are there any estimates floating around as to how much revenue taxes on legal MJ would raise?

According to an article in Business Week, it has the potential to transfer $40 billion to $100 billion in new revenue. Just a simple transfert from organised crime to public purse :grin:

Las Vegas has done good. ;)
OBC world summer tour! LA ~ May 8, Thrasho De Mayo / Saint Vitus ~ West Coast Tour, Seattle, Protland, SF, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas June 25 - July 1 / July 4th weekend LA / Scotland, Oct? / Come and say hi if you live near! (more TBA)
obscured by clouds

Print view this post

#25  Postby Zukiwi » Mar 19, 2010 10:44 pm

obscured by clouds wrote:
ConnyRaSk wrote:I'm all for legalizing cannabis.

My understanding is, which is usually flawed, that marijuana does not cause these psychosis but can bring them out in people who are already predisposed. I am still for keeping marijuana in step with alcohol, it's not for kids.

I think it should say, Marijuana causes psychosis in people that are predisposed. The problem is, one has no clue to see how predisposed they are ...
Last.fm
from Shitmydadsays- "No, I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world shits on everybody. Pretending it ain't shit makes you an idiot, not an optimist."
Zukiwi

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Gallstones » Mar 19, 2010 10:50 pm

It's not just the intoxicating species that's illegal, but the fiber species is too and it makes superior paper, is easier to grow and more sustainable than trees, and it doesn't require the pesticides and herbicides that cotton does (for fabric).
Gallstones

Print view this post

#27  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 19, 2010 10:55 pm

Zukiwi wrote:I think it should say, Marijuana causes psychosis in people that are predisposed. The problem is, one has no clue to see how predisposed they are ...

I'd agree to that! :cheers:

idk...but there are many things in life we consume in one way or the other that can adverse effects in a very small percent of the population. Other then education, the FDA and such play an important part in our life.
obscured by clouds

Print view this post

#28  Postby ConnyRaSk » Mar 19, 2010 10:55 pm

Gallstones wrote:It's not just the intoxicating species that's illegal, but the fiber species is too and it makes superior paper, is easier to grow and more sustainable than trees, and it doesn't require the pesticides and herbicides that cotton does (for fabric).

At the RDF we had discussed this very topic. I quoted a paper written in 2005 or 2006 about this fact and many many other products. Above all cannabis plants would be ideal for crop rotation, because they help fertilize the land and one would not need to leave a field fallow( i hope this is the correct word) and so savings to farmers ( esp in 3rd world countries) would be huge.
Literature, fiction, poetry, whatever, makes justice in the world. That’s why it almost always has to be on the side of the underdog. ~Grace Paley
ConnyRaSk

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#29  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Gallstones wrote:It's not just the intoxicating species that's illegal, but the fiber species is too and it makes superior paper, is easier to grow and more sustainable than trees, and it doesn't require the pesticides and herbicides that cotton does (for fabric).

The lumber industry has been a vocal opponent (historically) against production of hemp. I wonder why? :nono:
obscured by clouds

Print view this post

#30  Postby michael^3 » Mar 19, 2010 11:36 pm

Legalization, it's just not going to happen.

I think it's even more probable that cigarettes will be banned.
Happy the man who delights in God's law and meditates on it day and night.
michael^3

Print view this post

#31  Postby Rollerlocked » Mar 19, 2010 11:38 pm

The lumber industry has been a vocal opponent (historically) against production of hemp. I wonder why? :nono:

Several times the usable biomass per unit of area, harvestable annually and not once every 10 years or so, and that's for the fastest growing pine varieties.

a point on hemp paper: it doesn't require bleaching. Bleaching wood pulp paper is a major source of dioxin contamination to the environment.
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."
-Samuel Putnam
Rollerlocked

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Millefleur » Mar 19, 2010 11:55 pm

Not sure what the law is exactly here in the UK for hemp growing but I use an equine bedding called 'Hemcore' for my poultry, made from the inner part of the stalk. Its cheaper then regular woodshavings and I expect more sustainable, breaks down very quickly on the compost heap saving me space and effort, is very absorbant and soft and the best bedding I've ever used. Plus the big green hemp leaf on the side of the bale seems to amuse people.
This post was brought to you by Millefleur's Mature Responses™

Millefleur

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby S1E » Mar 19, 2010 11:58 pm

As far as legalizing cannabis goes in the U.S. it is just a matter of time IMO. And I am all for it. As I sit here at my computer on this fine Friday evening enjoying in a rather strong “beverage”, I think back to when I was young, single, owned nothing of real value, and was very sure I was immortal and bullet proof. Back then; I really enjoyed smoking copious amounts of very good Pot. But then came the day of zero tolerance (that’s where they take everything you own for smoking a joint) and I got older, and actually owned stuff I felt was worth keeping, so I decided to give up my most favorite bad habit, and switch to rum. I’m of the opinion that it was not an equitable trade!

I would say if one counted the saved revenue for law enforcement, this would include local police, sheriffs, State highway patrol, FBI, ATF, DEA, NSA, Game Wardens, Federal Marshels, and whatever other agency I’ve missed, plus the space that would be freed up in our local, state, and federal prison systems. The saving in time, and recorces in just this area alone would easily justify the legalization. And as far as the taxes go, even the U.S. couldn’t fuck that up. Trust me, we have built major sports stadiums from taxes on cigarettes, and alcohol.

cakrit wrote:
Working Under the Influence is not that bad, if you're a programmer and you're stuck. MJ opens up your mind, but you don't want to put that code in production before going over it at least once when you're sober.

Agreed, there are jobs one should not do whilst “high”. But there are jobs that almost require it. One of my first jobs in the automated production field was loading T-shirts onto an automated screen printing press. This job entailed standing in one spot doing the exact same thing every 5 seconds all day long. The crew got a 15 minute break every two hours. Just so you know our goal was 60 dozen T-shirts an hour. Anyway, there is no doubt in my mind to this day that the only way I made it through that job was to be totally stoned all day long! On a side note, I’ve always done better at video games when high.

ConnyRaSk wrote:

Not sure about your Country, but here it really does not matter weather something is legal or not. The kids always find a way to get it. So I’d have to say it is a non-issue as far as legalization goes. And I don’t by the “might cause later psychosis”. I call BS on this one.

Zukiwi wrote:
I think it should say, Marijuana causes psychosis in people that are predisposed. The problem is, one has no clue to see how predisposed they are ...

Agreed! And thank you.

michael^3 wrote:

Not a fucking chance, sorry but the money the local, state and federal governments are making off of smokes gives them a free pass. Hell, there getting $2.00 plus per pack! Christ there making as much money off of smokes as the tobacco company's.
Of all the places I’ve been, this is one of them.

I sure do miss my ex-wife. But that’s okay my aim is getting better!
S1E

Print view this post

#34  Postby Zukiwi » Mar 20, 2010 12:28 am

I think I remember reading somewhere that hemp was first made illegal because of its competitiveness towards coton, not as a recreational drug.
Last.fm
Zukiwi

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Macroinvertebrate » Mar 20, 2010 1:10 am

I like to toke maybe once or twice a year at parties, but that's about it. Doesn't make a difference to me whether it's legal or not.
It's so cold in the D.
Macroinvertebrate

Name: Gawd
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#36  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 20, 2010 4:12 am

Legalize the Medicinal and Recreational Use of Marijuana :thumbup:
http://www.change.org/ideas
obscured by clouds

Print view this post

#37  Postby cakrit » Mar 20, 2010 7:27 am

cakrit wrote:DUI of MJ is bad, but DUI of alcohol is way worse.

Not sure about that, killing/injuring someone or damaging others property is not off set by alcohol, drugs or stupidity. Hit someone for whatever reason, they should pay the consequence as set by the law.

Oh, no argument there. I was referring to the personal experience of how dangerous they are.
"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed".
Jesus
cakrit

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#38  Postby andyx1205 » Mar 20, 2010 9:54 am

I've been spending way too much money on MJ, I need to start cutting down.
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
andyx1205

Name: Andy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#39  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 20, 2010 6:04 pm

andyx1205 wrote:I've been spending way too much money on MJ, I need to start cutting down.

Grow your own. One grow will keep you fine for a very very long time.
Last edited by obscured by clouds on Mar 20, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obscured by clouds

Print view this post

#40  Postby Goreth » Mar 20, 2010 7:08 pm

crank wrote:Drugs are not bad, people who make drugs illegal are bad.

Oh yes they are. But if someone wants some unhealthy fun that is entirely his/her business. :drunk:

Other than that I agree of course. Banning them is immoral, ineffective and keeping this policy up for so long despite all the bad things that sprang from it is nothing short of insane.

michael^3 wrote:Legalization, it's just not going to happen.

I'm pretty certain it will. The laws are getting softer in some places and public opinion is moving towards Legalization/Decriminalization.
But it will still take a lot of time and effort.
Stars must die, so that I can live. I ... stepped out of the supernova. And so did you.
-Phil Hellenes

*Warning*
Pretending to know my opinion better than I do --> Berserk Button
Goreth

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion