Marijuana appreciation/education/information thread

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Marijuana appreciation/education/information thread

#2261  Postby laklak » Apr 20, 2019 9:35 pm

Hope everyone remembered to leave milk and cookies out for Snoop Dog last night.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2262  Postby The_Piper » Apr 20, 2019 11:13 pm

:lol:
I forgot, says every stoner reading this. :P
J/k I never heard that one before. Maybe Snoop and Bob Dylan could have a rap battle in my living room to see who gets the cookies.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2263  Postby laklak » Apr 21, 2019 1:12 am

Attachments
Snoop Easter Bunny.jpg
Snoop Easter Bunny.jpg (69.83 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#2264  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Research has shown that in the absence of a functioning herb vaporizer, consumption habits changed when a user switched to a different method of consumption. The method chosen was a small water cooled bong.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
7521A032-A9FF-4F84-9AF7-C7051C61D858.jpeg
7521A032-A9FF-4F84-9AF7-C7051C61D858.jpeg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 1034 times

The user reported that, “In comparison between the herb vaporizer and the bong, the smoke from the bong was significantly harsher, and quite uncomfortable to use.” Actual rate of consumption during this period was roughly halved of that when using the herb vaporizer alone.

The user commented on the “clever conical shape” of the smooth, 15 mm diameter, glass bowl, which narrowed to an estimated 3 mm (inside diameter) stem. The lack of any screen to prevent material from blocking the stem was apparently not problematic, as observed by inspecting the bong cooling water after several different uses. The narrowing funnel shape of the bowl neatly and uniformly compresses the material, increasing its density such that it both remains in the bowl, but also burns uniformly and predictably.

While the bowl does appear clever, the user also reported the single best way to minimize harshness was to “fill the bowl never more than half full”. It seems reasonable that a larger fill would burn longer, having more time to heat the entire system, resulting in harsh smoke. It appears the user self regulated consumption based on tolerance of a harsher medium.

The self regulation observed suggests some limit to what a user will tolerate from the method of consumption, with minor regard to the expected benefits. However, this data supports no conclusions, and further research is necessary.

Unrelated to this comparison, the user also reported that “Holy shit! The effect is like a hammer, compared to that bong!”, upon receiving a warranty replacement herb vaporizer.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2265  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 24, 2019 4:33 pm

Did the research also show that the user started to report his marijuana experiences in the 3rd person?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2266  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 24, 2019 4:35 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Happy both Saturday and 4/20. It's the perfect storm.

This is my actual occupation... except there's only me and all my imagined friends.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2268  Postby theropod » Aug 24, 2019 8:36 pm

Now that I’m living in a state where pot isn’t viewed on the same level as smack or meth I have set about putting some of my lab skills to use. I am in the final stages of building a small pot still for the recovery of pure grain alcohol from the quick cold wash method of making hash oil.

Starting with a thrift shop find for $7 of a medium sized deep frier for a double boiler, which has a nice temperature controller, and an internal aluminum basket, the heating solution is set. A couple cups of water will be added to the frier and a wide mouth (no. 11) 1,000 ml Erlenmeyer flask will reside therein. The flask, which will act as my boiler, was an eBay find ($10) as the wide mouth is critical for final recovery, which required an off size stopper. Luckily a local brew shop has a silicone barrel bung for $8, and I bored a hole into the bung to fit a short segment of 1/4” copper tube. That tube has be permanently affixed to the silicone bung with red high temp silicone sealer ($5), and is bent a few degrees past 90 so that any condensation that forms outside the boiler is immediately sent on a downhill path through the condenser coils.

Between the bung outlet and the condenser coil is a one foot segment of 1/4” ID food grade semi transparent silicone tube ($.75) to allow for movement in either the boiler or condenser without upsetting either. The alcohol vapors should still be suspended before reaching the condenser so the minor lip at the joint where the tube meets the condenser shouldn’t be a problem. The silicone tube fits the copper on both ends so well clamping may not be needed, but I already have spring clips.

The condenser is 14.5 feet of 1/4” OD soft copper tube ($18) formed in the traditional downward spiral, and is contained in a new one gallon paint bucket ($4). That bucket will get wrapped in soft shipping foam to insulate it and hopefully limit condensation on the outside. I don’t want water dripping into my collection container. That catch vessel will have a very small vent hole, and be constantly cooled in an ice pack. Hopefully the recovered alcohol will already be chilled via the condenser chamber, which will be filled with ice, and replaced as it melts away. A weep hole at the top of the chamber will allow warmed water to drain away via 3’ of clear vinyl tubing ($1.50).

I also bought a meat thermometer ($3) that fits into the frier basket holes so I can keep an eye on the process. The mixture to be concentrated should never get too hot, or terpenes, and other compounds, will be altered unfavorably.

When the product reaches about 5-10% alcohol content I will stop the process. While still warm and liquid the mix will then be poured into a cheesecloth covered Pyrex pie plate and given a few days to slowly release the last of the alcohol.

I expect to have access to several ounces of bud trim and popcorn buds to use, and there is dry ice available locally for very reasonable prices. My largest investment will be the liter of pure grain alcohol I’ll buy to begin the process. If all works as intended I will put in a port to the silicone bung so I can add more raw wash as it evaporates from the flask. I expect I could accumulate about 400 ml of oil/alcohol concentrate in the flask before it would need to be emptied.

64ADD709-7236-4012-92C7-DADA94E175A0.jpeg
Small Double Boiler Pot Still
64ADD709-7236-4012-92C7-DADA94E175A0.jpeg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 785 times

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2269  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 24, 2019 9:20 pm

I was thinking of taking a few days off in the first two weeks of September. You are a not so long motorcycle ride away. I should come inspect your work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2270  Postby theropod » Aug 24, 2019 10:01 pm

Indeed you should! Cleaning, testing and at least a sample batch should be in hand by then.

Hell, tomorrow morning I plan on running off some vinegar to clean the whole thing stem to stern followed by at least two water runs. If I can distill water I have no doubts about PGA. When I’m satisfied that everything is as clean as I can make it I will dry out the condenser in the sun and plug the ends until just before being used.

Unlike distillation from a brew/mash with low alcohol content I will have almost no water in the main boiler. This should allow me to recover alcohol at near the percentage as starting. I expect to lose about 10% of the alcohol with each batch, but my goal is to lose about 5%. Testing and note taking will hopefully guide me towards that end. Careful attention to the wash process, and squeezing every drop from the bud/trim mash, should go a long way towards that goal. Considering I must accept some alcohol loss in the final cure-out being careful in all the other phases is critical.

Of course I could make my own PGA, or very near, using this same condenser and a larger main boiler, but I think the feds would bitch about that more than making the oil. Still, a few pounds of sugar and some brewers yeast could lower my operating expense greatly. I considered isopropyl alcohol as a solvent, but I want to keep my oil as free of toxins as possible.

My main concern is extracting chlorophyll in the wash. I’ve never used the quick cold wash method, but instead chemically removed the chlorophyll prior to the alcohol wash. VERY illegal when I did it! From what I gather the colder the weed, tools and the alcohol are the better, and limiting solvent to weed exposure to about 30 seconds is best. I will be “winterizing” the solution after first filtering, where I chill the wash for several hours to solidify waxes, and perform a final filtering to remove them prior to concentrating.

If I do this right I should end up with a very clean concentration that looks like buckwheat honey. Since I am not carbolizing the weed prior to the wash it will not be best for direct ingestion, but if cooked in brownies should work fine. I plan on exposing most of it to high temperatures either as smoke or in a vaporizer.

Considering the bargain rates for buds around here on sale days I might not wait for harvest to start a couple test runs. If I get a gram to two per eight of raw bud I will be over the moon.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2271  Postby The_Piper » Aug 24, 2019 10:38 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I just heat olive oil in a pot for a while, strain with a cheesecloth, and put it into gelatin capsules.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2272  Postby theropod » Aug 24, 2019 11:54 pm

The_Piper wrote:

snip video

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I just heat olive oil in a pot for a while, strain with a cheesecloth, and put it into gelatin capsules.

I expect to be faced with POUNDS of material to process. Where I am living right now has 4 plants in the back yard that are absolute monsters. We’ve named them Godzilla, Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra. All are different strains of high quality clones just beginning to bud. The owner of these plants has already decided to only trim and store the best buds, and has charged me with making something out of the rest. This is why I am eventually setting up the main boiler so that I can use a large syringe, or glass valve, to refill it as the alcohol is cooked away. As I said earlier I expect to be able to cook the wash with up to 400 ml of concentrate left in the flask with 5-10% alcohol residue. That’s several liters of wash to get that much concentrate! I have no idea what weight in finished oil that will produce, but I will find out.

I’m looking at a small vacuum pump for the finishing, and from what I’ve read I need to use dry ice to really eliminate the chlorophyll, wax and alkaloids pickup in the wash. That ultra cold wash can also be extended out to 20 minutes of soak time to get far more good stuff out of the weed. Like I said, some experimentation is in order.

I am going to experiment with making my own vape juice. From what I understand non nicotine unflavored, or naturally flavored, e-juice is mixed with the oil I am making 1:1 in a low heat setting. This is then injected into a vape cartridge while still warm. Filling a dozen at a time would be so sweet.

I expect the household will experiment with all sorts of stuff. I want to take a gram of the oil and mix it with enough kief to make some moist cake hash. Brownies, olive oil and butter have all been mentioned.

I can foresee some seriously fucked up folks around here come mid October.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2273  Postby The_Piper » Aug 25, 2019 2:53 am

:lol: :drunk:
I'm still not quite sure what you're doing, even though I read everything. Using grain alcohol to extract thc from the buds?
Trying to keep the used grain alcohol to use over again?
By cold wash method, do you mean so-called bubble hash?
I make hash for a neighbor that way. The only ingredients I use are ice and water. It takes 1.5-2 hours per run. I get around 4 grams of hash per ounce, but that differs quite a bit based on the quality of the material I start with. I run the same stuff twice, to get as much as possible. I could probably take the used material after running it twice and extract a little more using the olive oil on the stove burner, if I had enough to be worth it. I never do that though, because it's pretty cheap for me too. :)
I make the olive oil capsules for myself, I don't smoke anymore. I've tried making oil out of the second run of actual hash and...it works. :shock:

I've tried using 100 proof vodka to infuse with thc, but I'm unable to hold that under my tongue like the instructions say, it burns. You can extract thc into alcohol with just a container, lid, and time, which is how I tried it.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2274  Postby theropod » Aug 25, 2019 4:27 am

Yes, the alcohol dissolves the THC, and CDB, among other compounds. I’m going to soak the weed in super chilled Pure Grain Alcohol (PGA). The weed will also be chilled, as will the filters and other tools. This helps lock in the chlorophyll and waxes in a frozen state while still dissolving the active compounds. The plant material will then be filtered from the extract solution. Under low heat the alcohol will then be distilled away for repeated use until the mixture is down around 5% alcohol. At that point the concentrate will be allowed to slowly release the remaining alcohol, unless I employ a vacuum finishing.

The bubble method doesn’t recover all the compounds as it just strips the trichomes. This method will leech away those compounds.

The water is the enemy. Water in the plant material, or water in the alcohol allows chlorophyll, and other undesirable compounds, to also be dissolved during the wash. If there is no water in the PGA all we worry about is water in the weed. If the weed is chilled down to -100° F that water born component is bypassed, and if the PGA is also super chilled no melting of the weed ice crystals will happen.

The result should be a clean oil with no green bitter taste.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2275  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 25, 2019 11:36 am

Ahem: Image
:wink:
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2276  Postby The_Piper » Aug 25, 2019 3:00 pm

theropod wrote:Yes, the alcohol dissolves the THC, and CDB, among other compounds. I’m going to soak the weed in super chilled Pure Grain Alcohol (PGA). The weed will also be chilled, as will the filters and other tools. This helps lock in the chlorophyll and waxes in a frozen state while still dissolving the active compounds. The plant material will then be filtered from the extract solution. Under low heat the alcohol will then be distilled away for repeated use until the mixture is down around 5% alcohol. At that point the concentrate will be allowed to slowly release the remaining alcohol, unless I employ a vacuum finishing.

The bubble method doesn’t recover all the compounds as it just strips the trichomes. This method will leech away those compounds.

The water is the enemy. Water in the plant material, or water in the alcohol allows chlorophyll, and other undesirable compounds, to also be dissolved during the wash. If there is no water in the PGA all we worry about is water in the weed. If the weed is chilled down to -100° F that water born component is bypassed, and if the PGA is also super chilled no melting of the weed ice crystals will happen.

The result should be a clean oil with no green bitter taste.

RS

That's interesting. Yeah, for cooking I'd probably want to "launder" the product a little more. It's not bitter in the olive oil though, and putting it in capsules, I don't taste anything. I put it in capsules for convenience, I was taking it with a medicine dropper, but stained way too many shirts that way. :lol:
I don't have a dry ice source, nor a grain alcohol source locally. I freeze the weed when making hash, but I don't think it stays frozen in the ice water for long. That does filter out a helluva lot of chlorophyll, and then the hash gets further rinsed in the bags when I use water to collate the hash into one pile on the screen. My neighbor is your age, and says that he hasn't smoked hash this good in decades.
With the olive oil, I just put dry crumbled bud weed directly into the oil so it's not rinsed at all.

I know I've posted these methods before, but I thought doing it again could save Theropod some trouble, but I forgot about the crappy taste when cooked in a recipe. For me, personally, I use way too much cannabis to put into brownies, or really anything. I'd weigh a few hundred more pounds from eating all day. :lol:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2277  Postby theropod » Aug 25, 2019 5:08 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Ahem: Image
:wink:

For fucks sake KiR were I am now this is completely legal, and I have no interest in selling any. Neither do I desire to smuggle this oil back to Arkansas where I could indeed make bank. Frankly the mere suggestion, even if made in jest, that I am capable of the atrocities that “I’m the one that rings” committed is shocking. Have I ever posted something that would remotely suggest I am megalomaniac material?

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2278  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 25, 2019 8:34 pm

naaa, cool theopod, it was just a little joke: thus fucking WINK smiley!!! internet 101 - learn!
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#2279  Postby theropod » Aug 26, 2019 1:05 am

How is it that I must learn to accept what you see as humor, KiR? I explained to you that I didn’t appreciate your “little joke”, and it’s still my burden to adapt? I suppose if you posted a picture of Hitler, with the implication that I was headed towards a similar destiny, would be “cool” as well? To me Walter White, although fictional, is the same kind of person, and thus my use of “the one that rings” indicates my takeaway from his characterization. A cold hearted sociopath killer. I don’t know of anyone that would enjoy being held in such a comparison. Do you?

Besides, I won’t ring. I’ll send one from hundreds of yards away. (A joke)

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2280  Postby laklak » Aug 27, 2019 7:32 pm

That is cool, theropod.

Back in Swaziland. Just got a new bong today and ran a bowl of Swazi Gold through it. First weed in over a week, what with three full travel days door to door and getting sufficiently settled in (non trivial task when the lawyer didn't pay the bills for 9 months and everything that could be shut off was shut off and then you've got African bureauracy to deal with, you don't want to know). I think that's some sort of record. One hit and I could feel that sweet sativa satori from scalp to soles. South African shiraz and radio LM out of Maputo and all is copacetic. Where else you gonna hear Sinatra followed by Floyd?

Check them out, they stream. Google LM radio Maputo. Now they're playing a Kingston Trio reggae remix.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion