Marijuana appreciation/education/information thread

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Marijuana appreciation/education/information thread

#1  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 19, 2010 5:37 pm

I noticed we do not have an area for the discussion of marijuana, be it for medical or recreation use. What are your thoughts on this controversial weed. Where do you stand on the war on drugs when it comes to marijuana? Should we keep enforcing the ban by placing people in jail for personal use of marijuana?

Do you think marijuana/cannabis has any place in our society?

Should patients have access to medical marijuana?

http://norml.org/

And of course personal stories are always welcomed. :mrgreen:
OBC world summer tour! LA ~ May 8, Thrasho De Mayo / Saint Vitus ~ West Coast Tour, Seattle, Protland, SF, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas June 25 - July 1 / July 4th weekend LA / Scotland, Oct? / Come and say hi if you live near! (more TBA)
obscured by clouds

Name: Mr. Obscured By Clouds

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Marijuana appreciation/education/information thread thre

#2  Postby Ciarin » Mar 19, 2010 5:38 pm

drug should be legal, all of them, especially mary jane.
Ciarin

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Marijuana appreciation/education/information thread

#3  Postby LIFE » Mar 19, 2010 5:40 pm

I'm against the prohibition of any drugs, even the hard ones. Prohibition by law is never a good thing. Education is.
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
LIFE
Site Admin

Name: Bernhard
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#4  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 19, 2010 5:42 pm

LIFE wrote:I'm against the prohibition of any drugs, even the hard ones. Prohibition by law is never a good thing. Education is.

What do you mean by "prohibition"? De-Criminalization? Legalization? Other?
OBC world summer tour! LA ~ May 8, Thrasho De Mayo / Saint Vitus ~ West Coast Tour, Seattle, Protland, SF, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas June 25 - July 1 / July 4th weekend LA / Scotland, Oct? / Come and say hi if you live near! (more TBA)
obscured by clouds

Print view this post

#5  Postby Lee Vegas » Mar 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Legalization and regulation across the board. An alcoholic is 'sick,' but a heroin addict is 'criminal.' IMO, that kind of thinking is criminal.

More later, gotta go...

LV
"Throughout history every mystery ever solved has turned out to be not magic! -- Tim Minchin
Lee Vegas

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby LIFE » Mar 19, 2010 6:00 pm

obscured by clouds wrote:
LIFE wrote:I'm against the prohibition of any drugs, even the hard ones. Prohibition by law is never a good thing. Education is.

What do you mean by "prohibition"? De-Criminalization? Legalization? Other?

Nothing should be prohibited. It's not practical I know but prohibition is enforcing authority which I reject.
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
LIFE
Site Admin

Name: Bernhard
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Paul G » Mar 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Ya Darn Tootin.

It has it's dangers, which everyone should be made aware of, but there's no reason to ban weed. Banning doesn't stop people smoking weed. Which I wouldn't advise anyway... :devil:
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby crank » Mar 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Drugs are not bad, people who make drugs illegal are bad.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Rollerlocked » Mar 19, 2010 6:14 pm

Drug prohibition has been an utter catastrophe. End it. Start with marijuana, and then when it it seen that society doesn't crumble, move on to the rest.

I have never used marijuana, nor any other recreational drug.
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."
-Samuel Putnam
Rollerlocked

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 19, 2010 6:14 pm

Not my ideology, but when thinking about the reality of our government, from the Feds to States (local governments) and who can do what... here are my top thoughts on the reform of Marijuana Laws, in a simplistic-it's-Friday type of thoughts. ;)

1. 18 to legally possess/consume. (I've thought this since I was kid)
2. Growing for personal use. No more needs to be said.
3. No operating vehicles and such while under the influence, limits would be set similar to alcohol. Companies have rights to terminate people under the influence, as with alcohol....
4. Selling Marijuana is the same as selling alcohol or any substance that a human will put into there body and will conform to similar products for consumption, and would be under the federal government and States to regulate, interstate commence, import/export, FDA, Taxes, License....Even regulating THC content as with alcohol content.
5. Health and safety, mandated warnings on Marijuana products.

Enforcing
1. Fine fine fine, left to local governments to figure out. No jail time. Not a federal crime. Adults providing Marijuana to minors will be fined fined fined! However (see number 6 the dick head clause) as with alcohol if other issues arise, rape, murder, manslaughter, as with alcohol, you can be held responsible. Again open to States with federal guidelines. And let's not forget civil court! (see number 5)
2. None.
3. Same as alcohol laws or there about...with federal guidelines for the states...again open to states. However incident that do not result in personal injury or property damage will not be subjugated to jail time.
4. Marijuana is a product and therefore will conform to other products that are made/sold illegally. It's open to regulation as the FDA sees fit and every other federal agency and will have their say. Fines and jail time, as well as possible federal chargers for violations.
5. As with anything...people can sue and go through civil court for health related issues. Yay for the lawyers. :roll:
6. The dick head clause, other crimes committed with a direct link to my Marijuana Laws will have the book throw Seriously I am open to very harsh punishments....

Again there would be much I disagree with the above, but the reality of regulation makes it hard to think outside of the box.

Thoughts...?
obscured by clouds

Print view this post

#11  Postby Rollerlocked » Mar 19, 2010 6:18 pm

Are there any estimates floating around as to how much revenue taxes on legal MJ would raise?
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."
-Samuel Putnam
Rollerlocked

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 19, 2010 6:27 pm

Rollerlocked wrote:Are there any estimates floating around as to how much revenue taxes on legal MJ would raise?

The numbers I have seen could be huge. Marijuana is the most profitable crop in the US.

Given the right incentives, profit, it would be a huge windfall for states. However they will fuck it up and raise taxes so it will be more profitable to go underground.
obscured by clouds

Print view this post

#13  Postby harleyquinn » Mar 19, 2010 6:37 pm

Has anyone seen Penn and Tellers debunking of the drug war?

http://www.wisevid.com/gateway.php?view ... fxpwt38383

I'm a fan of Penn and Teller. Sidereel.com is a site that hosts almost every episode from every season.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The late great Carl Sagan.
harleyquinn

Female

Print view this post

#14  Postby King David » Mar 19, 2010 7:44 pm

I think commercial sale of cannabis should be completely legalized and taxed. I also thing that growing small amounts for personal use should be legalized. Simply decriminalizing small amounts won't work, since the supply chain would still be in the hands of organized criminals. If we legalize it we could cut a huge chunk of the deficit and increase funding to education and science, save even more money and manpower by not having to house millions of nonviolent drug offenders, and use law enforcement for what it was meant for, to protect and serve, instead of arresting people for their recreational preferences. The Mexican drug cartels would take a huge economic beating and would likely fall by the wayside with a huge chunk of the illegal drug market cut out from under them, reducing violence and border tensions. Not to mention the obvious reason, that people should have the right to drink or smoke whatever they want as long as they are not driving or otherwise putting other lives in imminent danger in the process. I can see no downsides to legalizing cannabis.
Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer. -Humphry Davy
King David

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 19, 2010 9:31 pm

King David wrote:I think commercial sale of cannabis should be completely legalized and taxed. I also thing that growing small amounts for personal use should be legalized. Simply decriminalizing small amounts won't work, since the supply chain would still be in the hands of organized criminals. If we legalize it we could cut a huge chunk of the deficit and increase funding to education and science, save even more money and manpower by not having to house millions of nonviolent drug offenders, and use law enforcement for what it was meant for, to protect and serve, instead of arresting people for their recreational preferences. The Mexican drug cartels would take a huge economic beating and would likely fall by the wayside with a huge chunk of the illegal drug market cut out from under them, reducing violence and border tensions. Not to mention the obvious reason, that people should have the right to drink or smoke whatever they want as long as they are not driving or otherwise putting other lives in imminent danger in the process. I can see no downsides to legalizing cannabis.

Correct. Any solution will have to figure in the profit angle. Something that our politicians do not understand. It is because of the war on drugs that make it profitable. Drug cartels do not want legalization. Our government is making it profitable for drug cartels to do business. You want to make the drug cartels and criminals even more money, put our army on the border and you will see profits skyrocket as well as crime and all the shit that is associated with the drug trafficking black market.

The only way to free ourselves of all that BS, is to under cut them. Make it so there is no profit. And legalization is the only way you can assure that end. No one is going to go through all the BS to make no money. This will start at the drug cartels all the way down to the street dealer.
obscured by clouds

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby michael^3 » Mar 19, 2010 9:44 pm

The question is not whether it should be legalized, but whether you should smoke it.
Happy the man who delights in God's law and meditates on it day and night.
michael^3

Print view this post

#17  Postby Millefleur » Mar 19, 2010 9:50 pm

I'd put it in the same boat as alcohol, sensible people have a few glasses of wine or whatever as a treat in the evening or with friends, maybe drink at bit more occasionally socially, some abuse it and get pissed all the time. Same with smoking marijuana, maybe a smoke after work to relax, socially with friends etc, there will also be those who get stoned all the time, same as alcoholics. I don't get why its such a big deal, I used to smoke and drink at home when I had some free time or out with friends, I don't now after 2 pregnancies and having my hands and evenings full for some time, I need a clear head and don't have the recovery time I used to pre-children, a hang over would royally cock up the morning routine/school run (and I'm now officially a light weight). I think regulation is the way forwards, sold legally in shops to those over the age limit, fines/prison time for those supplying minors, the ability to grow personal supplies at home like home brewing.
This post was brought to you by Millefleur's Mature Responses™

Millefleur

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 19, 2010 9:54 pm

michael^3 wrote:The question is not whether it should be legalized, but whether you should smoke it.

Education and I am all for teaching kids not to. And I know I wish more people didn't smoke! Leave my plant alone! :lay:
obscured by clouds

Print view this post

#19  Postby cakrit » Mar 19, 2010 10:04 pm

I agree with most of the comments. Now, the personal story.

I used to smoke about 1 joint/day for a good 6 months, right before I left the US. I didn't feel good about doing it so often and I knew it was because I wasn't very happy. I've never touched it since, and never missed it. It's not addictive. Alcohol and cigarettes are much, much worse.

I knew a guy in college who was dealing and smoking way too much. He had turned into a complete idiot. He acted like he was stoned, even when he wasn't. You don't want to go there, believe you me.

DUI of MJ is bad, but DUI of alcohol is way worse.

Working Under the Influence is not that bad, if you're a programmer and you're stuck. MJ opens up your mind, but you don't want to put that code in production before going over it at least once when you're sober.
"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed".
Jesus
cakrit

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#20  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 19, 2010 10:16 pm

cakrit wrote:I knew a guy in college who was dealing and smoking way too much. He had turned into a complete idiot. He acted like he was stoned, even when he wasn't. You don't want to go there, believe you me.

hehe....well it's not that bad you get use to it. :shifty:

cakrit wrote:DUI of MJ is bad, but DUI of alcohol is way worse.

Not sure about that, killing/injuring someone or damaging others property is not off set by alcohol, drugs or stupidity. Hit someone for whatever reason, they should pay the consequence as set by the law.

cakrit wrote:Working Under the Influence is not that bad, if you're a programmer and you're stuck. MJ opens up your mind, but you don't want to put that code in production before going over it at least once when you're sober.

As far as private business go, as long as they are following their own laws they have the right to terminate for MJ. I don't agree with that, but they can. However the laws could be changed to allow medical use, not useing on the job, but recreation use I think I would support them not allowing it. Only because they have that right.
obscured by clouds

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion