My political leanings and views

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

My political leanings and views

#1  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Jul 18, 2019 3:35 pm

I've been wanting to talk about this to this forum for some time so let's dive right in. I'm a left-libertarian according to political compasses, although identity as a centrist. I advocate for mixed economies, public health care, and welfare systems. I'm also anti-authoritarian, anti-corporation at lest when it comes to government, and I advocate for pragmatic politics; the approach to policymaking, that takes into account the rational, empirical, and utilitarian justifications for making it, with accordance to goals, morality, and ethics. This is in contrast with ideological politics; basing policies on ideological stances, rather than evidence or facts. I believe we would be better off using pragmatic politics.
Mr. Skeptic

Name: Owen Terry

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: My political leanings and views

#2  Postby felltoearth » Jul 18, 2019 3:57 pm

"Pragmatic politics" is pretty meaningless as it doesn't say anything about who will benefit from best use. Leftist policies can be seen as pragmatic if they serve all people. Corporatist policies can be pragmatic as well. I think you are assuming values in your post that would need to be discussed, e.g. what is a pragmatic argument for (or against)access to abortion in a public health care system?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Jul 18, 2019 4:20 pm

Truth in all applications is what is rational, empirical and practically justified. We should base our polices on what is true, rather than what we believe to be true. It shouldn't matter who benefits. That's the point; to attempt to make policymaking beneficial to all including the policymakers. I want policymaking to be objective because that's what we need.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Hermit » Jul 18, 2019 11:41 pm

Mr. Skeptic wrote:Truth in all applications is what is rational, empirical and practically justified.

Right wing libertarians, revolutionary communists and everybody with a socio-political view in between has rational, empirical and practical justifications for their approach, and everybody insists that their own is the right one.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Jul 19, 2019 12:21 am

But how do we know which one is true? For all we know, they could all be equally false with no practical application in reality and no different from religion. We have to make decisions some way or the other to affect public policy. We need to find some way to be objective about what we do and make. With what we have now, it's a mess; a clusterfuck of many ideas and ideologies that insist they are right and the others are wrong but are unable to show it, which means they don't really know. Polices should be based on facts and evidence, rather than pure make believe, wishful thinking, and assertions of dogma.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Hermit » Jul 19, 2019 12:45 am

Mr. Skeptic wrote:But how do we know which one is true?

Looking for OBJECTIVE TRUTH™? How touching. Image

Socio-political truth has never been about a battle of ideas. It comes out of the muzzle of a gun, or better still, a cannon. Lots and lots of cannons, actually. Those who have the most of them are the holders of truth. Until someone with more weapons turns up on the field anyway. Then truth changes hands.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Thommo » Jul 19, 2019 1:47 am

How I see pragmatism in terms of politics.

Basically, I see pragmatism as the complement of principle, that is to say how far you are willing to take an ideal in the real world. I think it's easiest to take a specific issue, let's say control of recreational drugs.

Principled argument A: Illegal drugs harm the people who consume them. Many get addicted and lose control of their drug taking habit and it can have a serious negative impact on their lives. It is the duty of government to protect people from these harms.

Principled argument B: Illegal drugs often give pleasure to the people who consume them. Most of these people do not lose control of their habit and enjoy their drug use. The government has no right to interfere with people's personal lives when they aren't affecting others, even if those people choose to harm themselves.

Evidential argument: The amount of harm caused by drugs varies from substance to substance, there are differences in the side effects, health consequences, social consequences and addiction rates. Research shows that (insert proper consensus of research opinion here). Therefore it may be the case that some substances should be controlled and others not, the ones that should be first in the line for being controlled are the ones that inflict the most harm for the least benefit.

Pragmatic argument: Regardless of the principles behind prohibition people take drugs anyway. By legalising them you may restrict the harm caused by stigma and the tax evasion caused by the drugs being moved on the black market, which could be used to fund education and rehab. You will free up police and court time for more serious offences and avoid unintended consequences of prohibition like drug money going to gangs involved in other crimes such as human trafficking, prostitution or weapons smuggling.

Pragmatism is really tested when it's in opposition to principle - that is to say a pragmatist is less guided by their core ideology and more willing to muddle through. A pragmatist on drug issues might also take into account arguments in the other direction (e.g. a country where legalisation of drugs was tried, but also caused inintended consequences).

Is this something like what you have in mind?
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Jul 19, 2019 1:52 am

That's what I mean; the truth of politics, whatever that means, has been a matter of force, tribalism, and authoritarianism in the course of human history. I'm not sure how we can break out of this cycle that will, inevitably, kill us or leave us with nothing to live with. Politics, at least from your understanding/perspective, is too haphazard to be useful in any sort of objective way. We need to have some sort rational, empirical, and practical justification for our policymaking, much in the same way that science is justified in its descriptions of reality. Politics can be simply defined as the science of policymaking. What's your definition?
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Thommo » Jul 19, 2019 2:00 am

Politics is the art of the possible.

That is to say I disagree it's science. We have to make decisions, we have to have laws. We have nowhere near enough information to form a genuine consensus, a lot of problems that cannot be tested non-destructively and nowhere near enough time to test everything that could, in principle be tested.

I tend to the pragmatic (as I've defined it), and I prefer evidence based policy making where possible, but it's not really possible in real time, most of the time.
Thommo

Print view this post

#10  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Jul 19, 2019 2:07 am

Thommo wrote:How I see pragmatism in terms of politics.

Basically, I see pragmatism as the complement of principle, that is to say how far you are willing to take an ideal in the real world. I think it's easiest to take a specific issue, let's say control of recreational drugs.

Principled argument A: Illegal drugs harm the people who consume them. Many get addicted and lose control of their drug taking habit and it can have a serious negative impact on their lives. It is the duty of government to protect people from these harms.

Principled argument B: Illegal drugs often give pleasure to the people who consume them. Most of these people do not lose control of their habit and enjoy their drug use. The government has no right to interfere with people's personal lives when they aren't affecting others, even if those people choose to harm themselves.

Evidential argument: The amount of harm caused by drugs varies from substance to substance, there are differences in the side effects, health consequences, social consequences and addiction rates. Research shows that (insert proper consensus of research opinion here). Therefore it may be the case that some substances should be controlled and others not, the ones that should be first in the line for being controlled are the ones that inflict the most harm for the least benefit.

Pragmatic argument: Regardless of the principles behind prohibition people take drugs anyway. By legalising them you may restrict the harm caused by stigma and the tax evasion caused by the drugs being moved on the black market, which could be used to fund education and rehab. You will free up police and court time for more serious offences and avoid unintended consequences of prohibition like drug money going to gangs involved in other crimes such as human trafficking, prostitution or weapons smuggling.

Pragmatism is really tested when it's in opposition to principle - that is to say a pragmatist is less guided by their core ideology and more willing to muddle through. A pragmatist on drug issues might also take into account arguments in the other direction (e.g. a country where legalisation of drugs was tried, but also caused inintended consequences).

Is this something like what you have in mind?

As far as I know, yes. Politics is simply the science of policymaking. Making policies that attempt to benefit all the parties involved, even if that's not apparent. Contrast this with the ideological politics, which basis it on ideologies.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Jul 19, 2019 2:15 am

Thommo wrote:Politics is the art of the possible.

That is to say I disagree it's science. We have to make decisions, we have to have laws. We have nowhere near enough information to form a genuine consensus, a lot of problems that cannot be tested non-destructively and nowhere near enough time to test everything that could, in principle be tested.

I tend to the pragmatic (as I've defined it), and I prefer evidence based policy making where possible, but it's not really possible in real time, most of the time.

So would it be better to call it "the philosophy of governance and policymaking" rather than a "science"? We don't really need to have "real-time-sort-of-mad-science" type of policymaking. We can look at precedents set before us and look to improve future policymaking if we can.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Thommo » Jul 19, 2019 2:55 am

I'm not really sure what you're saying at this point.

Nobody, whether idealogue, pragmatist, dogmatist or evidentialist is going to say anything other than they want to improve future policy making, or that they think their ideas are for the greatest benefit of all the parties involved. So it's a pretty meaningless distinction on which to base a political philosophy. The point about science is it is/has a methodology. This is how it avoids the perennial cliche epitomised by beauty pageant contestants lining up to say they want to see world peace.

It seems pretty debatable to try to shoehorn politics into being subsumed either by science or philosophy. It is what it is. At a very crude level philosophy is study by reasoning, science is study by experiment and politics is decision making. They are three fundamentally different endeavours at their core.

Needless to say there are some bad actors within politics who are corrupt, venal or incompetent. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say that everyone in public life struggles between their own interests and the interest of the office they hold, some more than others.
Thommo

Print view this post

#13  Postby aufbahrung » Jul 19, 2019 7:38 am

I self identify as a corrupt kleptomaniac. Whilst my place on the political compass is sound - hitting the spot where Gandhi sits, now if I was involved in politics I'd be into every scam going with Warren Zevons Mr Bad Example as my mentor. Not involved in politics though. So I'm good, a good guy, a sheep in sheeps clothing.
"I'd rather live a single day as a Lion than to live forever as a sheep."
-Benito Mussolini

"Culture is on the horns of this dilemma: if profound and noble, it must remain rare, if common, it must become mean."
-George Santayana
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby laklak » Jul 19, 2019 1:33 pm

I'm more of a sheep in wolf's clothing.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Ironclad » Jul 19, 2019 7:45 pm

Mutton dressed as mutton. :smoke:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 19, 2019 9:07 pm

I am just a simple Northern European Social Democrat. OK?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby calvin » Jul 29, 2019 10:28 am

Works for me.
Yeah dude, I'm a big ass
calvin
Banned Spammer

Print view this post

Return to General Discussion