Never been on a plane...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Never been on a plane...

#21  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Sep 26, 2017 12:58 am

Flying around Canada is fucking expensive. It's sometimes worth dropping down to Bellingham or Seattle and flying from there, even to the closest American airport and driving/training from there to my Canadian destination.

I almost never fly anywhere in the States out if a Canadian airport.

I LOVE little planes though and making short hops around the province and from island to island. I'd really like to own a plane in the future.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 26, 2017 1:24 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:I never fly in Europe. The train is far better bet. It is faster than flying from city centre to city centre. I go to Paris in 2.5hrs. New links are opening all the time. I dont really enjoy flying any more. Airports are terrible these days with all the extra security.

It depends how far you're going. We looked into doing Paris to Florence by train, but the ticketing was so complicated that we just flew. But that would have been over 10 hours. The flight was probably 4-5 hours all in.

But most people in the world have never flown. I used to ask students in my class in Vietnam (all middle-class students) and usually only two or three in a class of 18 would put their hand up. Then I worked for a more expensive school and they'd all be on one. I even remember a travel documentary in India where a man had bought an old jumbo jet and charged people to go and have a flight experience where they'd get on, go through the whole process, but it would never leave the ground.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#23  Postby don't get me started » Sep 26, 2017 2:06 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I never fly in Europe. The train is far better bet. It is faster than flying from city centre to city centre. I go to Paris in 2.5hrs. New links are opening all the time. I dont really enjoy flying any more. Airports are terrible these days with all the extra security.

It depends how far you're going. We looked into doing Paris to Florence by train, but the ticketing was so complicated that we just flew. But that would have been over 10 hours. The flight was probably 4-5 hours all in.

But most people in the world have never flown. I used to ask students in my class in Vietnam (all middle-class students) and usually only two or three in a class of 18 would put their hand up. Then I worked for a more expensive school and they'd all be on one. I even remember a travel documentary in India where a man had bought an old jumbo jet and charged people to go and have a flight experience where they'd get on, go through the whole process, but it would never leave the ground.

Yeah, flying still holds a kind of mystique here in Japan. Being a cabin attendant is considered by many as a prestigious job and even working at the check in desk is seen as glamorous. A lot of my students aspire for jobs in the airline industries.

As for trains...the Shinkansen (bullet train) is the way to go for travel on Honshu. It takes me about an hour to get to the Shinkansen station in Osaka and then its 150 minutes to Tokyo (approx 550 KM / 340 miles). And that is to central Tokyo, not the out of town airports. The freedom to just show up and get on is one thing I like about it...the Shinkansens depart Osaka for Tokyo about every 10 minutes so no need for the 'hurry up and wait' that surrounds air travel.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#24  Postby crank » Sep 26, 2017 6:49 am

Rumraket wrote:There are people in the world who have never seen the stars. That somehow makes me very sad to think about.

I've thought about that a lot, and even mentioned it here before, it does seem terribly sad, such a basic part of human life.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 26, 2017 11:19 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:

I did the Hague to Florence once. We went via Utrecht on the overnight sleeper to Bologna then onto Florence. We go in at nine. Sleepers are a great way to travel. Went by sleeper to Lisbon. It was the weirdest looking train but a great breakfast with superb coffee.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Fallible » Sep 26, 2017 2:18 pm

I credit a European sleeper with causing my claustrophobia. A night spent with my face two inches from the ceiling in a stifling box. No thank you.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby The_Piper » Sep 26, 2017 4:50 pm

I can't sleep well when it's hot and stuffy. Add being in a moving train 2 inches from the ceiling, and that would be a very long night. When I was young we rode the Amtrack to South Carolina and slept in our seats, if memory serves. I remember that I had fun. We took the bus one time and that was even more fun, being a kid. I got to walk around a little and get a look at cities when the bus was waiting at the stations, 10-20 minutes. :)
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby kiore » Sep 28, 2017 1:40 am

I didn't fly in an airplane until I was 18, previously just in a helicopter at 15.
Dreamed of and started but didn't finish my PPL twice, is actually hard work and pretty boring at that.
Have since flown in various civilian, cargo and military fixed and rotary wing aircraft, ex-soviet cargo planes in Africa probably the most unpleasant/terrifying things even if there were seats. Have had some very unpleasant near misses and forced landings, even had to machete clear a take off zone for a chopper where we landed in a grassy clearing only to discover the grass 3 m tall preventing take off. Generally worse part of air travel is airports, waiting around, queuing for security and immigration. Prefer to take a train where that workable. Strangely I find I sleep easily in a steaming hot, noisy soviet era chopper sitting on cargo etc, but not in business class on a modern comfortable wide bodied jet, guess is because in business class there is pleasant distracting stuff to do like eat, get drunk and watch movies.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 28, 2017 4:11 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:

I did the Hague to Florence once. We went via Utrecht on the overnight sleeper to Bologna then onto Florence. We go in at nine. Sleepers are a great way to travel. Went by sleeper to Lisbon. It was the weirdest looking train but a great breakfast with superb coffee.

Did the train to London, Eurostar to Paris and an over nighter to Milan. Never slept a moment through the journey and hated it so much that I hitch hiked across to Nice to catch a cheap Easyjet flight home instead of enduring that shit again. Roughly 26 hrs of tedious train ride with no sleep. Could've flown it in 4 hrs. It wasn't that cheap either if I recall but two of our group wouldn't fly. I set off home as their train left and including the hitch hiking, I got home about 10hrs before they did and slept in a proper bed.
It might cost a bit more but I'd sooner either drive myself and overnight in a hotel when tired or fly.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Macdoc » Sep 28, 2017 6:05 am

I recall a while back when we compared train for four, versus flight for four versus driving including gas and tolls and rental from Paris to southern France....there was surprising little difference.

We did the sleeper train from Toronto to Edmonton on our road trip to Alaska and found it comfortable and interesting with the glass observation car but sleeping was cramped with bunks.
Sitting down with meal service a real bonus and they mixed up the passengers so ou always had a new set to chat with.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#31  Postby aban57 » Sep 28, 2017 2:45 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
Did the train to London, Eurostar to Paris and an over nighter to Milan. Never slept a moment through the journey and hated it so much that I hitch hiked across to Nice to catch a cheap Easyjet flight home instead of enduring that shit again. Roughly 26 hrs of tedious train ride with no sleep. Could've flown it in 4 hrs. It wasn't that cheap either if I recall but two of our group wouldn't fly. I set off home as their train left and including the hitch hiking, I got home about 10hrs before they did and slept in a proper bed.
It might cost a bit more but I'd sooner either drive myself and overnight in a hotel when tired or fly.

Last April, I went down to Nîmes, where most of my family lives, from Charleroi. The only operator offering this trip is RyanAir. I went there to bring back a car, so I wanted to book a single trip. Their website totally forbade it, and forced me to book and pay for a return flight. Now I have to give the car back, so I'll need to book a flight back, but I really don't want to give money to these fucking thieves. Unfortunately, I have no other choice, car transportation costs around 900 euros.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#32  Postby The_Piper » Sep 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Macdoc wrote:I recall a while back when we compared train for four, versus flight for four versus driving including gas and tolls and rental from Paris to southern France....there was surprising little difference.

We did the sleeper train from Toronto to Edmonton on our road trip to Alaska and found it comfortable and interesting with the glass observation car but sleeping was cramped with bunks.
Sitting down with meal service a real bonus and they mixed up the passengers so ou always had a new set to chat with.

I've never been to Toronto or Edmonton, but I've been to Edmundston. Most people haven't, and would consider that a far off corner of the globe. :snooty: :teef:
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 28, 2017 6:01 pm

aban57 wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:

Last April, I went down to Nîmes, where most of my family lives, from Charleroi. The only operator offering this trip is RyanAir. I went there to bring back a car, so I wanted to book a single trip. Their website totally forbade it, and forced me to book and pay for a return flight. Now I have to give the car back, so I'll need to book a flight back, but I really don't want to give money to these fucking thieves. Unfortunately, I have no other choice, car transportation costs around 900 euros.

Try checking easyjet flights from Nice, not Nimes. They fly to the UK, specifically they do fly to Liverpool where I flew to. I can tell the difference between easy and Ryanair.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#34  Postby aban57 » Sep 28, 2017 7:58 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
aban57 wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:

Try checking easyjet flights from Nice, not Nimes. They fly to the UK, specifically they do fly to Liverpool where I flew to. I can tell the difference between easy and Ryanair.

Well there is quite a big distance between Nice and Nîmes, and also between the UK and Liège, where I live :) Getting a flight is OK, but I have to go home after :)
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#35  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 28, 2017 8:04 pm

aban57 wrote:...

Well there is quite a big distance between Nice and Nîmes, and also between the UK and Liège, where I live :) Getting a flight is OK, but I have to go home after :)

Ha ha ha ha! Big distance. I measure my distance from some places in fractions of continents here.

However, we took that TGV once to Nice for a holiday over Christmas. GV, my ass. I thought we were in India. That train was jammed, and stopped everywhere.
My new website is up. Who wants to be a contributor?

I AM Skepdickus!

https://www.skepdick.us/blog/
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby laklak » Sep 29, 2017 2:03 pm

I can't wait till we measure our distances in parsecs and have to factor time dilation into our schedule.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 29, 2017 2:35 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
aban57 wrote:...

Ha ha ha ha! Big distance. I measure my distance from some places in fractions of continents here.

However, we took that TGV once to Nice for a holiday over Christmas. GV, my ass. I thought we were in India. That train was jammed, and stopped everywhere.

TGV's do that. They become local trains at the end of the line. After Lyon it is a local train on the Côte d'Azur. They are not built for that.
The same happened on my journey to Lisbon. Very fast on the TGV Atlantique to Bordeaux the to the Spanish Border took an hour as local train.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Macdoc » Sep 29, 2017 4:41 pm

I can't wait till we measure our distances in parsecs and have to factor time dilation into our schedule.

or your life ....try The Forever War for a mindbender on that
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#39  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 29, 2017 5:39 pm

One of the best stories written.

Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk
My new website is up. Who wants to be a contributor?

I AM Skepdickus!

https://www.skepdick.us/blog/
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby jamest » Sep 29, 2017 7:27 pm

I once went on a coaching holiday around half of Europe. Never again. Planes from now on.
They came, they saw, they concurred.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion