Never been on a plane...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Never been on a plane...

#1  Postby Macdoc » Sep 24, 2017 3:14 pm

Partner and I just watched the lovely BBC version of Emma and her delight at seeing the ocean.

Led around to talking about a friend ( actually a staff ) who has never flown, never been to another country and perhaps also has not seen the ocean.

She commented she thought there were lots of people who had never flown ....and then paused for a minute and grinned...."but I can't think of anyone".

Now Australians and Canadians do their fair share of travelling, have passports etc something many USians do not.

Leaving young children and oldsters aside ( my father only flew once in his life ) was curious about who you might know was/is a "homebody". :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Never been on a plane...

#2  Postby The_Piper » Sep 24, 2017 3:54 pm

I'm not a homebody but I've never flown. It scares me, I'm afraid of heights. I've been to Canada, and have seen the ocean countless times. Those don't count, because Canada isn't really a foreign country ( :shifty: ), and I grew up 3 miles from the Atlantic ocean.
I travel enough as it is though, just not to far off corners of the globe.
My father moved to central Illinois, and remarried a woman there who had never seen the ocean, or mountains for that matter. She'd never been further than Nebraska, meaning she'd never left the corn belt. All she knew was vast farm fields. She hardly even saw a forest before. He took her up here when they married, she was elated to see New England. We went to Baxter State Park. It was cloudy, so the mountain views were impeded, but at least a moose came out and trotted down the road in front of our vehicle.
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby theropod » Sep 24, 2017 6:34 pm

Ha. I have flown in just about everything that can get off the ground except a jet fighter. I even piloted a sailplane for a couple hours, and no I do not have a pilots license. That sailplane responded to control input like a Lambo! Flying a plane is far easier than driving a car in heavy traffic. Helicopters absolutely suck. Loud, rough and the sensation of flight is replaced with feeling like one is suspended in a bucket on a cable from a crane. A two seat Quicksilver ultralight that felt like a feather with an engine was serious fun. Maybe the most fun flight ever was in an really old Piper Cub that had to be started by spinning the prop. We nearly ran the little thing out of gas from staying up so long. The only real fear I have felt while in the air was a hot air balloon ride when the wind came up when we were in ascent phase. There really isn't a way to control where one goes in those things. Trees almost brushed the basket before we got high enough, and the landing was a hard series of "bounces". If I were a rich man I would own a flying machine of some sort.
17 years off-grid and counting.

Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Macdoc » Sep 24, 2017 7:13 pm

You should get your sailplane licence ...it is far and away the least expensive route to a solo pilots licence and truly pure flying. Many club members were professional and/or airline pilots ( like the guy that landed in the Hudson ) and come to the gliderport to really get some flying in.

Like you I took a demo ride for an hour, flew the plane and was hooked....5 weeks later I was a solo pilot and had 4 or 5 good years of moving up the craft type ladder, taking people on demo flights etc. Was a big bucket list tick off for me and really in relation to many other sports is cheap thrills.

The nice thing about sailplanes is the club buys them and you just pay for them by the hour plus the cost of the tow. And you can also own your own with one or two others to keep initial capital costs down and split up the flight hours ( you also have access to the club fleet.
Not sure where you are, but in Canada getting a solo licence costs about $3k and that includes 40 flights and all your instruction and can be done in 2-3 weeks.
After that yearly costs are club membership - maybe $350 and whatever tows you need ( $20-30 to 2,000 feet ) and a modest hourly cost depending on the craft. A decent year is 50 hours of flying depending of course where you live. If in Arizona or California - you could double that or more.

So a day at the club you might get a couple of flights of an hour each ( that's the limit for club planes unless you are on a cross country or endurance badge (5 hours is endurance ).
If the plane is not in demand you can book additional time.

I've flown in most of what you have but likely have the Concorde as a plus 2200 KPH was impressive, A380 and the Dreamliner also high lights.

Thread is most focused on who by choice or necessity has "stuck close to home" but really any anecdotes like yours are welcome.

Piper....one thing with USains ...you have such such a diverse nation with superb roads and low fuel costs that you can spend a lifetime exploring and never need a plane.
In Europe it is a different diversity with huge cultural shifts within a days drive.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby theropod » Sep 24, 2017 7:58 pm

Too old and too many other things stand in the way now. Besides, there probably isn't 3 sailplanes in the whole state of Arkansas.

I have seriously considered an ultralight with a ballistic chute. That Quicksilver was a gas.

RS

theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby pelfdaddy » Sep 24, 2017 9:25 pm

I grew up in a home where we rarely travelled, and always by car. My first flight was at age nineteen, two years after leaving home for adult life. Neither of my parents had experienced air travel at that time. Not only have I flown many times since, but my parents now fly everywhere.
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby aliihsanasl » Sep 24, 2017 9:27 pm

I've flown a lot of times, passed many seas ( Mediterranean, Aegean, Marmara sea ) but passing over ocean making me anxious but wouldnt mind it when I need to.

Saw ocean once from Cardiff.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Macdoc » Sep 25, 2017 5:21 am

Theropod ...on the glider pilot age....one of my instructors had flown in the Luffwaffe :what: and last I knew he was 85 and still instructing.
As long as you past the health test every pilot has to ...you can fly. Once you learn ....it's like riding a bicycle ...you have it for life tho you will need a check flight with an instructor to get the rust out.

Alan Gibson wins his pilot's wings at 74, setting a new club record for Borders Gliding Club as the most senior person to go solo since the Milfield club was formed in 1969.

Read more at: http://www.berwickshirenews.co.uk/news/ ... -1-2254689

http://www.berwickshirenews.co.uk/news/ ... -1-2254689

and

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Fallible » Sep 25, 2017 7:43 am

I know people who have never flown, usually older people. Until relatively recently, air travel was prohibitively expensive for many poorer Brits. I know my grandparents had to save for ages and needed help from my parents in order to fly to Canada to visit us.

Speaking for myself, I made my first flight when I was too young to know anything about it - six weeks old, suspended by a hook on the side of the cabin in a cardboard carrier. Flying was then at fairly regular intervals, at first trans-Atlantic, and then across to mainland Europe.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby crank » Sep 25, 2017 11:11 am

I'm surprised anyone could possibly ask if there's many people who have never flown. There's probably quite a few more people who haven't flown than have flown. Even today, with prices as low as they are, they're still way out of the reach of a huge fraction of folks unless there's something compelling them. And I'm talking the US.

Well hell, I'm way off, only about 1 in 5 adults haven't ever flown. I'm too old. Fuck me, i'm going to go take a nap in my rocking chair.

Another addendum, that's still a lot of folk, it's just not as a lot as I thought.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Macdoc » Sep 25, 2017 11:20 am

Because my parents had rarely flown and to a degree dollars....it was uni before I got into the air on a school building project in Bequia.
After that it got insane for a while with too many flights to a variety of destinations in North america and elsewhere ....to the point I got off a plane and said no more for a couple of years....Japan, West Africa, Swtzerland, Holland, Japan again London was all within 15 months and I'd had it. Mostly business tho West Africa was a 5 week vaca in Sierra Leon ( before blood diamonds ). Being in the tech industry flying was the norm....hell buddy wanted hours for his licence so we'd rent a small plane and hop over to Chicago, land on the waterfront airport ( no longer there ) and walk to the show. That doesn't happen anymore.

Once Apple stopped having conventions and the internet grew like crazy the need for business flying went to zilch ..so now it's cheap hops to Europe via Iceland air and a yearly Australian long haul. Before that was yearly long haul to South Africa and Heathrow gets worse and worse ....including this latest round. :(
I must admit I was stunned when there were a few flights at $99 to Europe.

Sort of on topic .....I like the programs that get inner city kids out to the country and also programs like Peace Corps. Australia had Aus Volunteers Abroad and Canada has a work abroad agreement program with numerous countries
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/residents/iec/index.asp and an internal program that has a first nations name I cannot recall providing services to remote communities.

Many Canadian and Australian friends take advantage of this and many universities have volunteer programs involving travel ( mine was quasi-university supported for the school building in Bequia and left a lasting legacy - certainly to value what we have in Canada )

My best illustration of home body genetic component... Secrets of the Dead did a segment on Cheddar UK and they had some useable DNA from the excavations that dated 6,000 years ago.
They ran the info into the national DNA database on a fishing expedition and much to their delight and shock had a hit in the local university. ( he had submitted his DNA for an unrelated study )
A direct descendant was still living within a few miles of the excavation site. :what: :D
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Rumraket » Sep 25, 2017 11:40 am

There are people in the world who have never seen the stars. That somehow makes me very sad to think about.
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Rumraket

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Macdoc » Sep 25, 2017 11:43 am

Yes indeed ....that came up recently in an article but I must admit it's not frequent enough even for me.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby theropod » Sep 25, 2017 12:21 pm

By too old I mean too old to start from scratch to get certified, or to spend my money on something I would rarely use. Since I am now retired and my income is fixed so many other things take priority. We need at least another 2 kilowatts of solar panels and our 2008 Ford Escape is nearing 300 K miles and will need replacing sooner rather than later. I will also have to find health insurance in the next couple months as it will be another year before I am eligible for Medicare. Then there is the earnest desire to acquire a quality GoTo telescope mount, large apature Mak-Cass scope and good DSLR to do astrophotography, and none of that is cheap. I just brought in my C90 from a frustrating, and failed, effort to spot the comet currently near Orion. So, when I say I am too old I mean I am too old to invest in the training, and left seat time, when so many other demands, and desires, take precedence. Besides, knowing my tendency to take risks I shouldn't it is not a good idea for me to take the stick. I lusted pretty hard over Jesse's Harley when we hooked up to watch the eclipse, and I know getting back on a motorbike is a bad idea. I could see me flying under bridges and buzzing herds of cows.

RS

theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 25, 2017 12:58 pm

I never fly in Europe. The train is far better bet. It is faster than flying from city centre to city centre. I go to Paris in 2.5hrs. New links are opening all the time. I dont really enjoy flying any more. Airports are terrible these days with all the extra security.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Macdoc » Sep 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Yes airports are a horror...North American trains systems are very inadequate....maybe Elon Musk will change that.

Australia has a very good internal airline service at reasonable costs and given the low population and distances ...air travel makes the most sense except in the few high density corridors.
Travelling with Nexus card really speeds things up cross border and incoming into Canada is a stroll. Luggage is the bottleneck.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby The_Piper » Sep 25, 2017 7:54 pm

We get amazing views of the stars here. Not as good as a remote desert, but there is no light pollution. The best nights are in the winter under ungodly frigid temperatures though. :lol:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby The_Piper » Sep 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Macdoc wrote:Yes airports are a horror...North American trains systems are very inadequate....maybe Elon Musk will change that.

Australia has a very good internal airline service at reasonable costs and given the low population and distances ...air travel makes the most sense except in the few high density corridors.
Travelling with Nexus card really speeds things up cross border and incoming into Canada is a stroll. Luggage is the bottleneck.

I guess there used to be passenger rail service reasonably close to here, but that ended long before I was born. The tracks are still there, but only used sparingly to transport lumber afaik.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby laklak » Sep 25, 2017 9:29 pm

Lived most of my younger years overseas, I'd been around the world 4 times by the age of 12. I fucking hate commercial flying. Love small planes, though. My Dad owned a 1948 Cesena 140, I soloed when I was 16 but never got my private ticket because cars and girls. Wish I had that plane now, it was really cool.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#20  Postby don't get me started » Sep 26, 2017 12:50 am

I've flown a lot over the years, in a variety of different conveyances.
Upstairs on an A380, in the smoking section on a Vietnam airlines flight( next to a chain smoker :ill: ), on an Aeroflot domestic flight that seemed to have bits dropping off as we accelerated down the runway... a hot air balloon over the Nile at Luxor to watch the sunrise, in a Gazelle helicopter over Belfast (I vomited out of the window because of a massive booze up in the mess the night before....)
I fly a lot to conferences... in Asia, Europe and North America mainly.

(I got the pants off some girl recently in the toilets on a long haul flight from Asia to Europe...not the mile high club though; the pants in question were the liberally shitted ones of my 2 year old daughter!! :naughty2: )

I meet a fair few Japanese who have never flown or been abroad. Or, if they have been out side of Japan, it is to Japanese friendly places like Guam and Hawaii. (Imagine the Japanese equivalent of Brits in the Costa-del-sol having fish and chips at the Red Lion.) There are a lot of Japanese for whom 外国 ('Gaikoku' literally 'out of country'), is a scary concept, rather like the travel agent shop in 'The Truman Show'.

I don't mind flying. Twelve hours on a plane starts to get a bit wearing, but anything less than 5 hours is a piece of cake. I'm off to Seoul next month. I'll actually spend less time in the air than I spend on a train for my work commute!

On the subject of not seeing the stars..as I posted on another thread, the skies here in Osaka are pretty blank at night due to the huge light pollution from the Kansai mega-city. When I was in rural Cumbria in the UK this summer I saw a star-bedecked night sky for the first time in years....it blew me away and I spent the best part of an hour just standing looking up, taking it all in.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion