New Home, southwest England.

Advice appreciated.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: New Home, southwest England.

#41  Postby jamest » Aug 02, 2019 1:36 am

We went to N Devon for a week at half-term (the end of May). Stayed just a few miles from Ilfracombe at Combe Martin (for the record Ilfracombe was probably the best town we visited and I wish we had stayed there, and so did the kids!). Though I was disappointed generally, to be honest. Too much traffic on crappy (often hilly) roads (slow going), shorter on quaintness than I'd imagined, short on history/museums, short on a big city. I think I prefer certain parts of Cornwall or West Wales to N Devon, but for sure I came away knowing that I didn't want to live there.
Ultimately, we decided to go for a place in Oxfordshire quite close to vibrant Oxford (history/museums) and not too far from the Cotswolds (peace/beauty). Plus from nearby Didcot you can be in the heart of London in about 45 minutes. Plus there's easy access to other parts of the country (M40 north-south; M4 east-west). It ticked many boxes, except that the house needs a fair bit of work doing to it. Came downstairs for my dinner after 9pm tonight after decorating etc. all day.
It's going to be a while until I can settle and enjoy the place.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Macdoc » Aug 02, 2019 10:37 pm

You missed your chance to own and live on your very own volcano.

For Sale: Your Very Own (Extinct) Volcano
The regrettably named Posbury Clump could be yours for just $60,000 and change.

BY SABRINA IMBLER
AUGUST 01, 2019

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/f ... ct-volcano

Pretty cheap too
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#43  Postby UncertainSloth » Aug 02, 2019 11:15 pm

jamest wrote:We went to N Devon for a week at half-term (the end of May). Stayed just a few miles from Ilfracombe at Combe Martin (for the record Ilfracombe was probably the best town we visited and I wish we had stayed there, and so did the kids!). Though I was disappointed generally, to be honest. Too much traffic on crappy (often hilly) roads (slow going), shorter on quaintness than I'd imagined, short on history/museums, short on a big city. I think I prefer certain parts of Cornwall or West Wales to N Devon, but for sure I came away knowing that I didn't want to live there.
Ultimately, we decided to go for a place in Oxfordshire quite close to vibrant Oxford (history/museums) and not too far from the Cotswolds (peace/beauty). Plus from nearby Didcot you can be in the heart of London in about 45 minutes. Plus there's easy access to other parts of the country (M40 north-south; M4 east-west). It ticked many boxes, except that the house needs a fair bit of work doing to it. Came downstairs for my dinner after 9pm tonight after decorating etc. all day.

you needed to get further south to dartmoor - wonderful area...i wouldn't necessarily use 'quaint' to describe north devon anyway...plenty of history around but you're right about the museums, though ilfracombe's museum is a fabulously quirky place

we lived in didcot, many a moon ago...and woodcote on the way to reading before that - lovely area...and, yes, good for accessing lots of different places...
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#44  Postby jamest » Aug 03, 2019 12:33 am

UncertainSloth wrote:
jamest wrote:We went to N Devon for a week at half-term (the end of May). Stayed just a few miles from Ilfracombe at Combe Martin (for the record Ilfracombe was probably the best town we visited and I wish we had stayed there, and so did the kids!). Though I was disappointed generally, to be honest. Too much traffic on crappy (often hilly) roads (slow going), shorter on quaintness than I'd imagined, short on history/museums, short on a big city. I think I prefer certain parts of Cornwall or West Wales to N Devon, but for sure I came away knowing that I didn't want to live there.

you needed to get further south to dartmoor - wonderful area...i wouldn't necessarily use 'quaint' to describe north devon anyway...plenty of history around but you're right about the museums, though ilfracombe's museum is a fabulously quirky place

we lived in didcot, many a moon ago...and woodcote on the way to reading before that - lovely area...and, yes, good for accessing lots of different places...

Wouldn't want to have lived in Didcot with that ugly power station there, though my missus told me they're knocking it down soon (?). As for Dartmoor, I prefer the kind of inner countryside you get around the northern lake district. I/we especially love the Keswick area. Northwest Scotland also is very beautiful, but the weather up there is atrocious!
I'm looking forward to exploring the Chilterns and [especially] the Cotswolds at some point, which are quite close. Having NT and HHA memberships is hopefully going to enhance that experience. But, without a doubt, I'm very excited about learning about Oxford and having easy access into London.
And if you see some middle-aged geezer in the Oxford/Cambridge boat-race next year... :grin:
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#45  Postby jamest » Aug 03, 2019 12:36 am

Macdoc wrote:You missed your chance to own and live on your very own volcano.

BY SABRINA IMBLER
AUGUST 01, 2019

Pretty cheap too

Perhaps a stupid question, but how can you know for sure that a volcano has become 'extinct'?
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#46  Postby laklak » Aug 03, 2019 1:02 am

No, 'e's resting. Maybe you stunned 'im.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 03, 2019 8:28 am

jamest wrote:
Perhaps a stupid question, but how can you know for sure that a volcano has become 'extinct'?

Seismology, heat flow measurements, gravity anomalies, the usual science-y stuff. It doesn't mean that there will never, ever be another volcano in the area, only that it's going to be awhile, if ever.

Posbury Clump? Sounds like a track-and-field technique by someone who never quite made it to Olympic calibre.

You know it's really old because, as you age, everything gets flabbier, hairier, and closer to the ground.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#48  Postby felltoearth » Aug 03, 2019 1:24 pm

jamest wrote:
Macdoc wrote:You missed your chance to own and live on your very own volcano.

BY SABRINA IMBLER
AUGUST 01, 2019

Pretty cheap too

I’m assuming it’s not a volcano but a volcanic hill, similar to the chain of hills Mont Royal is part of. People call Mont Royal an extinct volcano when it’s more of a remnant of a volcano that moved on. More on that here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monteregian_Hills
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#49  Postby laklak » Aug 03, 2019 2:52 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
You know it's really old because, as you age, everything gets flabbier, hairier, and closer to the ground.

Ain't it the truth? It's like metamorphosis in reverse. There I was, flitting about Woodstock painted like a glorious butterfly, now I'm a caterpillar stumping my way into Walmart for my monthly prescriptions. Such is life.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#50  Postby UncertainSloth » Aug 06, 2019 9:09 pm

jamest wrote:
Wouldn't want to have lived in Didcot with that ugly power station there, though my missus told me they're knocking it down soon (?). As for Dartmoor, I prefer the kind of inner countryside you get around the northern lake district. I/we especially love the Keswick area. Northwest Scotland also is very beautiful, but the weather up there is atrocious!
I'm looking forward to exploring the Chilterns and [especially] the Cotswolds at some point, which are quite close. Having NT and HHA memberships is hopefully going to enhance that experience. But, without a doubt, I'm very excited about learning about Oxford and having easy access into London.
And if you see some middle-aged geezer in the Oxford/Cambridge boat-race next year... :grin:

couldn't see the power station - it's nearly 4 miles from the centre of didcot - had no impact on us at all, tbh

i know what you mean about the lakes, love it up there but for me, i need the desolation and freedom of moorland...

cotswolds & chilterns are beautiful, though - will have to think of the places we used to visit
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 07, 2019 6:46 am

How about services?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#52  Postby romansh » Aug 07, 2019 6:45 pm

Not quite the south west … but it is good for badgers … Herefordshire.

Surprisingly housing can be quite cheap there.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#53  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 08, 2019 6:25 am

Who wants to live there?

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Ironclad » Aug 08, 2019 8:17 am

The Welsh? :dunno:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 08, 2019 3:35 pm

Do they count these days boyo?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Fallible » Aug 08, 2019 6:40 pm

:scratch:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#57  Postby UncertainSloth » Aug 08, 2019 6:42 pm

we looked at housing in herefordshire when we moved out of didcot - i interviewed up and down that side of the country...some beautiful areas and town...and you're surrounded by the brecons, malverns and the shropshire hills...i'd much rather be round there than anywhere near a city....
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby UncertainSloth » Aug 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:How about services?

i don't go to church.... :smoke:
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Ironclad » Aug 08, 2019 7:00 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Do they count these days boyo?
Yes, they are worth 10 on a bullseye.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 08, 2019 10:08 pm

UncertainSloth wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:How about services?

i don't go to church.... :smoke:

I could never live in the country and be dependent on a car. It has been marvellous that I only have to travel five minutes to hospital. It saved my life when I had a stroke. I dont see any benefits and isolationism and that is the last thing I need.
I cant walk more than half an hour and we have plenty woods with lakes within 10 minutes where I can do that. I go to the sauna in 15 minutes by tram/train door to door.

What benefits do you think living in the country has?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion