New Home, southwest England.

Advice appreciated.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: New Home, southwest England.

#61  Postby laklak » Aug 08, 2019 11:48 pm

Sparse ground ape population.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby UncertainSloth » Aug 09, 2019 2:44 am

privacy, tranquility, absence of other people, close to the ruins and footprints of the past, wildlife, i'd rather walk amongst wildflowers when i step out of my door than topiary and designed gardens, more potential to work towards self-sufficiency, a slower pace...yes,there are cons, as there are with cities - further from hospitals etc - but i'm not bothered by cinemas and theatres and shopping malls and restaurants...

can't abide cities - the hubbub, the noise, no interest in the majority of urban architecture, people everywhere...

i know it's a technically romanticised view but that's what i pine for...van's cabin would be heaven for me....centuries ago, i would probably have been a hermit..
i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 09, 2019 5:04 am

Well I dont miss it much. We have plenty of woods and dunes (all wild). The beach is only 10 minutes away (public transport of course). If I could cycle it would be five. We are relatively peaceful with very good transport connections which I would miss very much. The idea of car dependency I really would hate. The Hague as is most Dutch cities, motorised traffic free. To enjoy urbanisation with the amount of freedom and peace is another experience. To sit on a terrace and have just the noise of people talking I find very relaxing.
In two weeks I will be travelling to München, Wien and Budapest. I just step on the tram at my door and the journey starts. No cars or airports. In six hours I will be in München.
I like theatres, cinemas and restaurants. I love architecture especially the modern stuff. Cant stand hills and lakes. Seen one... I started walking in Scotland when I was seven.
No I am a true "stadsmens" (city person).
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Fallible » Aug 09, 2019 8:23 am

Oh god do we have to have this conversation again? Some people like the country and some people like cities. With any luck, each person gets to live in the one they prefer.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Hermit » Aug 09, 2019 10:51 am

:this: What she said. :thumbup:
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#66  Postby LucidFlight » Aug 09, 2019 10:52 am

Ugh, the beach. I lived on the Gold Coast, right on the ocean they have there. Sure, it's nice to look at and have a walk once in a while, but I don't understand why people would spend hours there. Also, we had to sweep sand all the time. Very annoying. Was 15 minutes from work, so that was good.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Hermit » Aug 09, 2019 11:17 am

LucidFlight wrote:Ugh, the beach. I lived on the Gold Coast, right on the ocean they have there. Sure, it's nice to look at and have a walk once in a while, but I don't understand why people would spend hours there. Also, we had to sweep sand all the time. Very annoying. Was 15 minutes from work, so that was good.

Again, what Fallible said: "With any luck, each person gets to live in the one they prefer." At one stage in my life I just had to cross a street to get from my back door to Tamarama Beach. This suited me very well at the time because I was a surf bum at the time. I could check the conditions out from the dining room window. The waves were usually better than at Bronte Beach 10 minutes' walk to the south and almost always better than Bondi Beach 15 minutes' walk to the north.

Eventually I got tired of my hand-to-mouth existence. Working permanently full-time put an end to surfing, so I moved away from the beaches, first to the rather Bohemian inner Sydney suburb of Glebe, then I bought a little, old terrace in the nearby, equally bohemian inner city suburb of Newtown.

Eventually I got sick of living in a big city altogether. After almost moving to Newcastle, about 170 kilometres north of Sydney I fell in love with someone and finished up in a small mining town in South Australia 1700 kilometres southwest of "the big smoke" instead. We have separated seven years later, but I'm still here because that's where I want to be just now. I might change my mind some time in the future.

So, yeah, I got to live where I preferred, and my preference changed from time to time.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby LucidFlight » Aug 09, 2019 11:40 am

I've been to Bondi many times, but never really thought to visit the beach. Always too busy. Good food around that area, though. That's the only reason we'd go there. Never understood why people would want to spend hours in the sand. Glebe was nice. They had the markets and the house was always cool, except on very hot summer days.

Also, I did spend some time around the Byron Bay area and would wander onto the beaches once in a while, just for half an hour (at most). Oh, but the sand in the car afterwards. Awful. Why anybody would want to spend hours in the sand, I don't know. Food was good. Very quick to just pop down from the Gold Coast for some dinner. Wouldn't live there, though. Too much sand.

Come to think of it, the number of places I've lived where there is sand and beaches is oddly disproportionate to my liking of such places. Do... do I have a secret liking of sand? :(
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 09, 2019 11:49 am

Fallible wrote:Oh god do we have to have this conversation again? Some people like the country and some people like cities. With any luck, each person gets to live in the one they prefer.

Why not? Perceptions can change and plenty of people end up where they dont want to. It always intrigues me why people want to be isolated miles from any where and for what reasons. Just because you feel we have been through this so repeating the discussion is not allowed. Your partner replied btw.

I thought the insight into living on a world famous beach and the problems it presents is interesting.

Dont be so dismissive.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Doubtdispelled » Aug 09, 2019 12:02 pm

laklak wrote:Sparse ground ape population.

Thus fewer miserable gits!
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#71  Postby Fallible » Aug 09, 2019 1:31 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fallible wrote:Oh god do we have to have this conversation again? Some people like the country and some people like cities. With any luck, each person gets to live in the one they prefer.

Why not? Perceptions can change and plenty of people end up where they dont want to. It always intrigues me why people want to be isolated miles from any where and for what reasons. Just because you feel we have been through this so repeating the discussion is not allowed. Your partner replied btw.

I thought the insight into living on a world famous beach and the problems it presents is interesting.

Dont be so dismissive.

I don’t really think I can be accused of being ‘so dismissive’ when I’ve already read exactly the same thing twelvety hundred times already. I know he replied, I’m reading the thread.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#72  Postby laklak » Aug 09, 2019 2:03 pm

I went through a stage of really enjoying city life in Cape Town, lasted a few years. We were in Tamboerskloof, which was quite a boho sort of place with lots of little shops and restaurants and what-not. Took regular long weekends to the bush or up the west coast to get away from the hustle and bustle. Then we moved to Milnerton, which was a bog standard, boring suburb.

I've lived in quite a few biggish cities over the years, Johannesburg, Houston, Cairo, Cape Town, and a lot of smaller ones. These days I want open countryside and no neighbors, but that is still a couple of years away. I should live so long.

My favorites have beeen the beach towns. Camp's Bay outside Cape Town and Ponce Inlet near Daytona were the best. Actualy I lived in a "suburb" of Ponce Inlet called Wilbur-by-the-Sea. Always loved that name.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 09, 2019 2:38 pm

Over exaggerating a bit Fall. So you dont want to take part then dont but I f want to raise the subject I will. That is the principal of the forum or not? I know where you are coming from so dont be dismissive ok. Other people can point out different reasons for living where they are.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Fallible » Aug 09, 2019 3:35 pm

I’ll be as dismissive as I like, as are you, often. Services are not as high up some people’s list of priorities. It requires just a moment’s thought to work that out. Why do you care?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 09, 2019 5:25 pm

Fallible wrote:I’ll be as dismissive as I like, as are you, often. Services are not as high up some people’s list of priorities. It requires just a moment’s thought to work that out. Why do you care?

Come on Fall. Of course I care. In my present situation it is pretty high if not on top. We are going through a regional reorganisation as we have too many beds. Yes I know but it is true. Like our prisons we have too many places. We had a building boom in the 80's and 90's. Too many hospitals were built. Crazy.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby UncertainSloth » Aug 09, 2019 5:30 pm

fwiw, i fucking hate beaches and i fucking hate the sun...
i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Hermit » Aug 09, 2019 5:33 pm

UncertainSloth wrote:fwiw, i fucking hate beaches and i fucking hate the sun...

Same here.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#78  Postby Svartalf » Aug 09, 2019 5:57 pm

welcome to the club folks
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#79  Postby felltoearth » Aug 09, 2019 6:06 pm

Yes, whatever makes you happy. :mrgreen:
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#80  Postby laklak » Aug 09, 2019 6:34 pm

Beaches and sun, they're so much fun! Rainy and grey, stay the fuck away!

That said summer has, alas, lost it's luster. I'd welcome a blizzard.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion